Addepar

www.addepar.com

Addepar Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Eric Poirier

Addepar was an amazing experience, everything I could ask for in a start-up.

Director of Design (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe team consists of some of the most driven and intelligent people I’ve ever met. The combination of smarts and drive is rare and seeing a group of these individuals driving towards the same goal is an amazing sight. It was nice to be dedicated to such a mission-driven organization, especially a mission that you can actually live with. Trying to change an opaque and inefficient industry which almost brought the world to its knees in 2008, versus building another photo messaging app. Which would you prefer to dedicate your life to? Indeed, I drank the Kool-Aid and loved every moment of it from day one.

The office was a very intense environment, but having respect and actually caring about the people you work with definitely made for better communication. Meetings would get intense and though you may not agree with every decision made, things were always fine minutes later. Especially when you realize opposing ideas were generated by individuals just as dedicated to the mission / team as you. People produced. All the time. 3:30am on a Saturday morning? Data reconciliation going on, engineers hopped-up on Red Bull still going at it. There were always people in the office no matter the hour or day.

I was constantly surrounded by my teammates, whether in the office, or the numerous off-hour activities. Just couldn't get enough of the people there. Hikes, bike rides, bars, etc. There's always something going on, or another teammate with some unique hobby pitching it to you.

Typical start-up perks. Anything that's needed to help you focus on your core work, will be provided. Food, laundry, living stipend, etc.

ConsTypical start-up hours. It can consume your life if you don't have the discipline to lead a life away from work.

In the past, there were lots of issues with communication. People were running so fast with their projects, not enough time was spent communicating or taking a step back for a higher-level overview. So in a sense, wheels spun. There were also cultural and communication break downs between the build-side of the organization and the sales-side. The few corporate reshuffles have addressed it in some way.

Eric, the CEO, is an AMAZING addition. Top notch leadership on both a professional and personal level. You can't help but love the guy and go marching for him. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the COO / President. While the company did need to grow up, we didn't need any Oracle culture injected into it overnight. And that was the feeling whenever I had to work with her. But it's not all bad. On many if not all of the projects overseen by the COO, she did produce but at the expense of professional relationships and sometimes cultural damage. She's results-oriented as she should be, and has proven herself in the past. Hopefully she does the same at Addepar without ruining too much of the culture.

Base compensation doesn't compare with most other companies in the area. The expectation is that equity makes up for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementOut of the loop already, so don't have much to offer. Things seem to be going well. But if the company needs to grow up, then compensation should match. Have heard grumblings regarding that aspect of the company for a while. You can't retain top talent when other companies have no problem dropping over 20% more on base salary on top of the equity package. The fact that it's in Mountain View with no subsidized transportation from the city is another issue.

Loved building with this team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExtraordinary balance of raw intelligence and pragmatism across the organization. Cool problems to solve, big vision to achieve. Obviously the perks are outrageous; it's basically free everything you need to live comfortably. CEO Eric leads and inspires through a rare combination of empathy, grit, and vision.

ConsStartup, so roller coaster. Highs are high, lows are low. You work hard, and it's a major part of your life. Also the president is very talented and capable, but also the least genuine person you'll likely ever have face-to-face interactions with. Seems like the only people who like her are in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture of Addepar is antithesis of Oracle, so the president would do well to shift her cultural expectations 180 degrees. Transparency, honest communication, and vulnerability are all good things. We're a deeply intellectual group, we can handle the truth but not wishy-washy corporatespeak.

A place to self-actualize.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe company does a great job of eliminating barriers that stop employees from using their time in the most impactful way. From an employee perspective, it is really important that we are able to focus on cultivating our skills. You also have direct access to brilliant team members who increase the rate at which you are able to learn new skills and grow professionally.

There is also a unique camaraderie at Addepar. At a small company where you are spending a significant amount of time together, an environment built on trust and even friendship is vital.

ConsThe workflow will not always be consistent. As an employee you have to take responsibility for maintaining a balanced life.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to leverage talent and empower each individual to use their full potential to add value to the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture, intelligent co-workers and an amazing company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsI really LOVE the people I work with. They are what make this company and this job so amazing. Each day I learn something new and the culture here is truly reflected in that, if someone is teaching you something new, they don't scoff or make you feel dumb for not knowing, instead they empower you to learn and give you the tools necessary to do so.
    The work / life balance at Addepar is pretty spot on. You are able to take off as much time as you need as long as you notify your team lead. This makes attending doctors appointments, oil changes and other necessary life action items easier as you can do it whenever works best for you.
    There are additional perks that are semi-normal in the silicon valley area (free food / snacks, laundry service, gym stipend. etc) but although the perks are great, they're not what keeps me coming back. Instead it's the people, the intense passion to learn and do better and the vision of the leaders of the company.

ConsLife at Addepar is still very much like a startup lifestyle. People work hard and they work a lot. It is the definition of a fast-paced company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a startup we're going through growing pains but as long as the upper management can communicate effectively to the team about where are growing pains are and how they're handling them, I think Addepar should do fine.

Surrounded by the best and brightest

ProsI have immensely enjoyed my time at Addepar. As suggested by my title, people are extremely intelligent here, and it is a rare chance to immerse myself in such talent. On top of that, people just work hard. There is an exciting energy around building a product with so much potential, and my colleagues put in all they can to see us succeed. I've appreciated the opportunity to learn new skills and grow with the company, and he people here are also just fun to be around. Aside from fun company events, it's not uncommon to go to a movie, go hiking, or grab drinks with co-workers outside of the office. Free laundry/dry-cleaning and taco trucks don't hurt either!

ConsWorking with a start-up, you have to get used to changes. It can be tough to stay on top of team re-structuring, but it keeps things exciting!

Advice to Senior ManagementI've seen a trend with upper management really taking the time to listen to employee concerns, and taking action to address them. The company meetings have moved from general overviews to more in-depth detail about company information and have helped foster more of a sense of community. Let's keep going in that direction, and let's keep taking the time to celebrate our wins and recognize the hard work of our incredible colleagues.

A fun place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsOverall I enjoyed working at Addepar. The company has good benefits for its employees. Engineers have autonomy to make their own decisions. Tons of smart people work there. Their vision for improving finance is good and their customers seem to be happy.

ConsTheir engineering team isn't the most experienced. This definitely shows in Addepar's codebase. Their main frontend is in Java Swing, which is not the most fun to use. They pay their employees less compared to other tech startups and bigger companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more experienced people and pay market salaries.

Great internship experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers were very enthusiastic and smart
    Company hired upper management who made the direction of the company more transparent
    Catered food, great snack/drink variety
    Company events and intern events were fun

ConsA bit disorganized at times (code / communication-wise)
    Java Swing is terrible
    Sometimes people have to work extra long hours to get something done, since manpower is limited (hopefully this is changing as more people get hired)

3 years with the company

Product (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsAddepar is a very dynamic workplace. There is a lot of freedom to come up with and then drive new idea. Very very smart group of engineers and I've been very impressed with the leadership. In particular CEO Eric Poirier and President Karen White have recently come in and brought a huge amount of relevant experience.

ConsIts an intense environment, definitely not your typical 9-5.

perfect blend of amazing technologists and product market fit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Prosworld class technology, team, and time. the product is amazing and the industry reception has been highly acclaimed. they just need to nail the scaling and you have a 1B+ company.

Conssame as any startup - live sleep breathe the company. this could be a plus, however. lots of fun social stuff.

Good place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsYour voice is heard

Free food, laundry, gym stipend, unlimited vacation, housing stipend

Interesting people and problems

Good stock options

Company is flat - if you work hard, you will be promoted

ConsIts easy to get sucked in to "reinventing finance" but at the end of the day you will be writing Java + Swing code for rich people to analyze their wealth - hard to stay motivated.

Low salary

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much transparency in upper management - you get to hear about big decisions during quarterly hands-up meetings

Many senior people are 22/23 year olds - you have to deal with too much inexperience sometimes.

Joe (CEO) is seen once in a blue moon in the office - which is good because you can sneak into his office and nap on his comfy couches anytime

Worked for Addepar? Contribute to the Community!