Addepar Reviews

Eric Poirier

1. great internship experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

Pros

- awesome colleagues: always very helpful and friendly - great company culture - very interesting problems (could work on 3 different projects during my 4 months at the company)

Cons

nothing I am aware of, it was a great experience

Addepar Response

Aug 28, 2015 – VP, People

We are thrilled you had an awesome intern experience this summer! We heart our interns!

Addepar is a great place to work for several reasons

Pros

Addepar is a great place to work for several reasons. First, the culture is built on a great foundation, and the management team takes it seriously. Second, the business outlook is excellent, and as a shareholder in the company, you're likely to succeed in the long term. Third, the opportunity for professional experience is top notch, and expertise is attainable within this organization via the infrastructure Addepar has set up.

Cons

Honestly, there really isn't anything worth writing home about here, Addepar is a top notch employer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Amazing place to start a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

- The engineering team is incredibly talented, motivated, and friendly - Generally good support for new hires without much experience - Good perks: retreats, catered meals, etc - Flexibility to move between different parts of the app or stack - Easy access to management, and ability to voice concerns - Great work/life balance, vacation policy

Cons

- Growing pains - lots of organization shuffles, frequent changes in priorities and structures - Communication issues - lots of rumors, information is not distributed well - Employee churn - people come and go often - Location

Advice to Management

Do a better job of communicating with employees. It feels like every couple weeks, management comes up with some drastic change in priority, and everyone has to follow along.

5. A great place to be an engineer, though not perfect

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Addepar full-time

Pros

The customer base is still small enough, when this was written, that there is at most only 1 person between you and a customer, regardless of what part of the company you are in. It is a marked change from my previous employer where the customers existed largely as data points, and they could not give feedback whenever we did things they didn't like. Most of the time all your co-workers are friendly and helpful, and I've built many good relationships with them, both in personal aspects and in the ability to get work done when everything else fails just by talking the right people when they're not busy. There is fairly little "work all day and all night" pressure. Many people work long hours and many do not, but those who do almost all choose to do so by themselves, not because "we have to ship these 10 things tonight or a customer will kill us!" The company is currently hiring very quickly, so if you want them and deserve them, promotions are frequent. But this is also a con; see below.

Cons

Sometimes arguments about business and technical decisions become very heated, because many employees have forceful personalities and strong convictions. When this happens, I often need to remind myself that my co-workers are not attacking me personally, and that they simply want to find the best way to improve our product and revenues. (I could just be lying to myself, though.) While I am currently happy with the money part of my compensation, the health-care benefits are lacking. The strongest endorsement I could make: At least I have never wondered if I could get better health insurance on California's Obamacare exchange! The company is currently hiring very quickly, so reorgs are frequent and I sometimes forget who has responsibility for what and who manages whom. Fortunately, informal cross-cutting relationships are easy to build (see pros).

Advice to Management

Keep improving what you are already improving - I have no major complaints. An example of what I mean: Every month, the CEO holds a meeting for all employees in which he gives a talk about the company direction, going over many things that would be considered secret at my previous employers, such as the quarterly business plan review that he holds with his direct reports. Recently, the CEO added to this by holding an unstructured meeting nearly every week in which all employees are invited to ask him any questions about the company. While I have not attended most of these meetings, in the ones I have been in he has never tried to fence or evade questions. Steps like these show management's continuing commitment to trust and transparency - the latter of which is a company value that we advertise heavily on our website to potential customers.

Addepar Response

Jul 30, 2015 – VP, People

Thank you for what comes across as a very strong review of the company, especially around transparency in the culture which we care a great deal about. I am concerned however regarding your ... More

6. Learned a lot about programming and had a lot of fun

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Addepar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and I got along with almost everyone. Work was enjoyable and fairly stress free comparing to other places I worked at. I really appreciate the fact that I was given the opportunity to work on various parts of the code base. The way Addepar approaches financial software is very different from the other financial software companies. The concept of the financial graph and transaction effects still impresses me up to this day. As a whole I grew a lot as a programmer and had many fond memories of hanging out at the office late at night, the hackathons, the mid night barbecue, Hearst Castle, the retreats at Lake Tahoe etc...

Cons

Some engineers have a huge ego and lack optimism. It bothers me when people bring negativity to the office. There are already plenty of ups and downs working in a start up and pessimism doesn't solve any problem. Anyways, I think those days are behind us now. The team restructuring and management shift in the last year was a little hard. Hopefully this doesn't happen too often.

Advice to Management

I think Addepar finally found the right management team to lead the company going forward. Eric has done an amazing job growing the company and keeping people happy. I am thoroughly impressed with his decision making and his leadership. Vlad has also done a great job in leading the engineering team and in particularly recruiting. I think he is definitely the right person to lead the engineering efforts.

Addepar was an amazing experience, everything I could ask for in a start-up.

Former Employee - Director of Design in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Design in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Addepar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team consists of some of the most driven and intelligent people I’ve ever met. The combination of smarts and drive is rare and seeing a group of these individuals driving towards the same goal is an amazing sight. It was nice to be dedicated to such a mission-driven organization, especially a mission that you can actually live with. Trying to change an opaque and inefficient industry which almost brought the world to its knees in 2008, versus building another photo messaging app. Which would you prefer to dedicate your life to? Indeed, I drank the Kool-Aid and loved every moment of it from day one. The office was a very intense environment, but having respect and actually caring about the people you work with definitely made for better communication. Meetings would get intense and though you may not agree with every decision made, things were always fine minutes later. Especially when you realize opposing ideas were generated by individuals just as dedicated to the mission / team as you. People produced. All the time. 3:30am on a Saturday morning? Data reconciliation going on, engineers hopped-up on Red Bull still going at it. There were always people in the office no matter the hour or day. I was constantly surrounded by my teammates, whether in the office, or the numerous off-hour activities. Just couldn't get enough of the people there. Hikes, bike rides, bars, etc. There's always something going on, or another teammate with some unique hobby pitching it to you. Typical start-up perks. Anything that's needed to help you focus on your core work, will be provided. Food, laundry, living stipend, etc.

Cons

Typical start-up hours. It can consume your life if you don't have the discipline to lead a life away from work. In the past, there were lots of issues with communication. People were running so fast with their projects, not enough time was spent communicating or taking a step back for a higher-level overview. So in a sense, wheels spun. There were also cultural and communication break downs between the build-side of the organization and the sales-side. The few corporate reshuffles have addressed it in some way. Eric, the CEO, is an AMAZING addition. Top notch leadership on both a professional and personal level. You can't help but love the guy and go marching for him. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the COO / President. While the company did need to grow up, we didn't need any Oracle culture injected into it overnight. And that was the feeling whenever I had to work with her. But it's not all bad. On many if not all of the projects overseen by the COO, she did produce but at the expense of professional relationships and sometimes cultural damage. She's results-oriented as she should be, and has proven herself in the past. Hopefully she does the same at Addepar without ruining too much of the culture. Base compensation doesn't compare with most other companies in the area. The expectation is that equity makes up for it.

Advice to Management

Out of the loop already, so don't have much to offer. Things seem to be going well. But if the company needs to grow up, then compensation should match. Have heard grumblings regarding that aspect of the company for a while. You can't retain top talent when other companies have no problem dropping over 20% more on base salary on top of the equity package. The fact that it's in Mountain View with no subsidized transportation from the city is another issue.

A place to self-actualize.

I have been working at Addepar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company does a great job of eliminating barriers that stop employees from using their time in the most impactful way. From an employee perspective, it is really important that we are able to focus on cultivating our skills. You also have direct access to brilliant team members who increase the rate at which you are able to learn new skills and grow professionally. There is also a unique camaraderie at Addepar. At a small company where you are spending a significant amount of time together, an environment built on trust and even friendship is vital.

Cons

The workflow will not always be consistent. As an employee you have to take responsibility for maintaining a balanced life.

Advice to Management

Continue to leverage talent and empower each individual to use their full potential to add value to the company.

Loved building with this team

I worked at Addepar full-time

Pros

Extraordinary balance of raw intelligence and pragmatism across the organization. Cool problems to solve, big vision to achieve. Obviously the perks are outrageous; it's basically free everything you need to live comfortably. CEO Eric leads and inspires through a rare combination of empathy, grit, and vision.

Cons

Startup, so roller coaster. Highs are high, lows are low. You work hard, and it's a major part of your life. Also the president is very talented and capable, but also the least genuine person you'll likely ever have face-to-face interactions with. Seems like the only people who like her are in management.

Advice to Management

Culture of Addepar is antithesis of Oracle, so the president would do well to shift her cultural expectations 180 degrees. Transparency, honest communication, and vulnerability are all good things. We're a deeply intellectual group, we can handle the truth but not wishy-washy corporatespeak.

Great culture, intelligent co-workers and an amazing company!

I have been working at Addepar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really LOVE the people I work with. They are what make this company and this job so amazing. Each day I learn something new and the culture here is truly reflected in that, if someone is teaching you something new, they don't scoff or make you feel dumb for not knowing, instead they empower you to learn and give you the tools necessary to do so. The work / life balance at Addepar is pretty spot on. You are able to take off as much time as you need as long as you notify your team lead. This makes attending doctors appointments, oil changes and other necessary life action items easier as you can do it whenever works best for you. There are additional perks that are semi-normal in the silicon valley area (free food / snacks, laundry service, gym stipend. etc) but although the perks are great, they're not what keeps me coming back. Instead it's the people, the intense passion to learn and do better and the vision of the leaders of the company.

Cons

Life at Addepar is still very much like a startup lifestyle. People work hard and they work a lot. It is the definition of a fast-paced company.

Advice to Management

As a startup we're going through growing pains but as long as the upper management can communicate effectively to the team about where are growing pains are and how they're handling them, I think Addepar should do fine.

Surrounded by the best and brightest

I have been working at Addepar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have immensely enjoyed my time at Addepar. As suggested by my title, people are extremely intelligent here, and it is a rare chance to immerse myself in such talent. On top of that, people just work hard. There is an exciting energy around building a product with so much potential, and my colleagues put in all they can to see us succeed. I've appreciated the opportunity to learn new skills and grow with the company, and he people here are also just fun to be around. Aside from fun company events, it's not uncommon to go to a movie, go hiking, or grab drinks with co-workers outside of the office. Free laundry/dry-cleaning and taco trucks don't hurt either!

Cons

Working with a start-up, you have to get used to changes. It can be tough to stay on top of team re-structuring, but it keeps things exciting!

Advice to Management

I've seen a trend with upper management really taking the time to listen to employee concerns, and taking action to address them. The company meetings have moved from general overviews to more in-depth detail about company information and have helped foster more of a sense of community. Let's keep going in that direction, and let's keep taking the time to celebrate our wins and recognize the hard work of our incredible colleagues.

RSS Feed </> Embed