Addison Whitney Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Brannon Cashion

Supportive culture, high level of branding expertise

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Addison Whitney full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am honestly very surprised to see all of the negative reviews regarding working at Addison Whitney. I have worked here for a month and have been very pleased with the work conditions, the attitudes of those at the highest level, and the friendliness of everyone else here. There is a prevalent culture of excellence about the company. All work must meet a high standard before ever seen by a client. A ton of attention is given to every project, down to the smallest detail. Clients are consistently very pleased with our work. The people with whom I work are true branding experts with years of experience, as well as being very smart. As someone who is reasonably new to the industry, I have been brought along patiently. I have never been ignored, and at every moment of confusion I have had time of explanation and learning; I am gaining valuable experience everyday. It is a collection of really smart, ambitious people that also happen to be very nice. The workplace environment is really friendly and open. Though employees' desks are stationed next to others in their department, collaboration is constant among the departments, and friendships reach across the whole space. I also am looking forward to playing flag football with the AW team in the Fall. On a more superficial note, the office space is comfortable and modern, with large windows that overlook a golf course. I only hope that those reading the other reviews here recognize that those most likely to write a review of anything at all are nearly always those who are pissed off about it. It is possible that reasons are legitimate, but the group really happy to work here is just not well represented.

Cons

There does seem to be something of a disconnect between Addison Whitney and our parent company, inVentiv Health. Some also disagree with a new, less intense dress code that lets us wear shorts (though I'm a fan).

Advice to Management

Management does sometimes seem a little bit distant. I know that this is a matter of busy schedules and my being new, but it would be nice to know them better

Market Research Analyst

I worked at Addison Whitney full-time

Pros

They bought bagels on Friday Some of the staff were friendly. Great concept

Cons

They did not provide training. Incompetent management and leadership. Not very diverse or accepting of cultural differences. Technologically behind the times with no desire to push forward.

Good learning environment, great team support, smart branders

Current Employee - Business Development in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Addison Whitney full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The top talent is very good at what they do and they are very helpful when it comes to learning or sharing knowledge for individuals to grow. I was not an entry-level position when starting but still was able to learn a lot. The west coast office has a more flexible working environment where you can do your job without feeling like you are part of a large uncaring enterprise.

Cons

I get a sense that the parent company, Inventiv Health has no idea what we do. They made us change our emails which is an issue when you have been in a sales relationship with people and earned their trust, these clients know nothing about Inventiv or healthcare and now we have to explain that to them, wasting client time and jeopardizing trust.

Advice to Management

I don't want business cards that say Inventiv Health. I identify with Addison Whitney.

Good Starter Job

I worked at Addison Whitney full-time

Pros

I got some good experience working for this agency with hands-on involvement in some high profile projects for big brands.

Cons

Working out of the west coast office was limiting in terms of direct access to company resources.

Advice to Management

Invest in top talent.

Cut Throat Place

I have been working at Addison Whitney full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice modern work place good people safe place.

Cons

Upper management is the worst. If they don't like you they will find a way to let you go. The current culture is diverse enough to make it comfortable for certain backgrounds.

Advice to Management

The parent company needs re-vamp and rebrand AW whole scheme of things. We lag behind all the firms that we compete with. Leadership is moody

Has Potential, but only if Management Changes

Pros

-Good work-life balance, I only worked overtime occasionally -Fantastic open-office structure -I felt my department was managed and trained well by our boss -Opportunity to work with some great companies

Cons

-As much as management "tries," there is no structure in promotions - some people who work there for years do not receive any, while others receive multiple promotions in the same period. Favoritism plays a large factor in this. -Have witnessed upper management lying to clients frequently. -A lot of cliques, some of them quite cold and who viciously gossip about other employees

Advice to Management

-Appreciate and give credit to those who do a large amount of the work. Based on the reviews here and my experience working at AW, management should also receive feedback on their performance and what improvements they can make.

Unhealthy obsession with itself…

Former Employee - Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Addison Whitney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice location in Ballantyne. Well-planned office space makes it easy to “self-train” as needed by letting you see what others are working on, even when they would rather horde knowledge. Some people are very nice, some are victims of their surroundings but the remaining individuals are something completely different…

Cons

There is not a leader among the salesmen who run the company. Some sales efforts are out of date and lean heavily on phone solicitation. The Pres is extremely resistant to ideas that are seen as criticism and he does not handle perceived and imaginary slights in a professional way. AW often promotes and rewards school yard bullies. There is a small gang of vicious individuals who enjoy/brag about getting people they don’t personally like out of the company "one way or another" as if it is some kind of horrible game and it is openly allowed. Since I started several people were victimized with this style of targeted destruction, once talk started about doing this to yet another person – I became so disgusted I accepted a job offer for less money just to be done with this place. Honestly watching adult men and women display this poor behavior is sickening and seeing it thrive here was my ultimate reason for leaving.

Advice to Management

I hope someone from inVentiv reads these…if so PLEASE offer your employees an outlet to come to you as a parent company and site major grievances. Make changes to management before all the good employees breakdown and just walk away.

AWful and AWkward – Run by Adolescent Boys

Former Employee - Awer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Awer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Addison Whitney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office appearance itself is fantastic, open and welcoming, with plenty of open space. It encourages open communication with the staff members who work in the main open areas. There are many people who are professional to balance much of the inappropriate behavior and lack of leadership.

Cons

There really isn’t any communication with the executives on a company wide level anymore, at least not in an effective or positive way. Most people (not all) who have an office deliberately shut themselves away from the company as a whole and do not engage. Leadership has an overwhelming unwelcoming presence with anti-social, awkward behavior that can turn threatening at times for no apparent reason, which results in extreme distrust of management. There is a clear edict that asking for change is considered speaking out against the company and will result in childish punishments. I am not sure how some people have dealt with this for so long and can see why many people have left. You will be grossly overworked.

Advice to Management

I find it surprising that AW is still in business considering how it is managed.

Great company work - Horrible President

I worked at Addison Whitney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do alot of great work and really cool designs. Great starting company for those fresh out of college

Cons

The President is uncaring and very mean to his staff. He rarely leaves his office (if he even comes into work). He is very unfair and has made his Management Staff fire people on his behalf because he simply did not like that person.

Advice to Management

Get a new President

A long and painful journey...

I have been working at Addison Whitney full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like some of the people I work with so much that I consider them personal friends. There was a long stretch where things were truly improving, changes were actually being made and for once there was an agreement that things actually needed to change. We got a new office and left the dark stained pit that was once Addison Whitney behind. Our teams grew, developed and started to work together. This lasted for a short time and then everything changed and that dirty stain which was the old AW just came right back up to the surface. People who were making an impact just couldn't take the constant resistance and undermining, they either left or just stopped trying. There was a chance to be great and we missed it - I feel like we spit on our own fire till it went out.

Cons

Anyone who is "different" will be pushed out and treated terribly by the leader and some of the staff. Different can mean allot of things, maybe your family doesn't have a ton of money, maybe you are too meek, too strong, too tall, too loud or you like to keep pictures of your pet on your desk. It could be anything but most likely it will have nothing to do with how you 'try' to do your job. There are road blocks that will magically appear and your work will be judged well before it is ever seen. Anything you do that is good will be literally torn apart. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen a good worker just get shut out and when it happens you just know it’s the end of them, but the bullying will go on for months before they are asked to leave or they are pushed out. The accountability from the President is non-existent, he poisons his own well and places blame on anyone (and everything) he can. It is sad to watch what could have been a decent place turn on itself again and again.

Advice to Management

Others do all your work and take all your blame and your punishments but when the numbers are not there for a long period of time, you will be looked at and you will be pushed out.

RSS Feed </> Embed