Addison Whitney Reviews

Brannon Cashion

1. Good mid-sized agency culture

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at Addison Whitney full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are very excited about work, fun projects and clients, good collaboration. Internal promotion opportunities for some roles.

Cons

Client-focused so sometimes requires long hours to meet deadlines. Some pressure from parent company to meet stretch sales goals.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to try out more flexible work arrangements like part time or telecommute for roles where it makes sense.

2. Cut Throat Place

I have been working at Addison Whitney full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice modern work place good people safe place.

Cons

Upper management is the worst. If they don't like you they will find a way to let you go. The current culture is diverse enough to make it comfortable for certain backgrounds.

Advice to Management

The parent company needs re-vamp and rebrand AW whole scheme of things. We lag behind all the firms that we compete with. Leadership is moody

Unhealthy obsession with itself…

Former Employee - Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Addison Whitney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice location in Ballantyne. Well-planned office space makes it easy to “self-train” as needed by letting you see what others are working on, even when they would rather horde knowledge. Some people are very nice, some are victims of their surroundings but the remaining individuals are something completely different…

Cons

There is not a leader among the salesmen who run the company. Some sales efforts are out of date and lean heavily on phone solicitation. The Pres is extremely resistant to ideas that are seen as criticism and he does not handle perceived and imaginary slights in a professional way. AW often promotes and rewards school yard bullies. There is a small gang of vicious individuals who enjoy/brag about getting people they don’t personally like out of the company "one way or another" as if it is some kind of horrible game and it is openly allowed. Since I started several people were victimized with this style of targeted destruction, once talk started about doing this to yet another person – I became so disgusted I accepted a job offer for less money just to be done with this place. Honestly watching adult men and women display this poor behavior is sickening and seeing it thrive here was my ultimate reason for leaving.

Advice to Management

I hope someone from inVentiv reads these…if so PLEASE offer your employees an outlet to come to you as a parent company and site major grievances. Make changes to management before all the good employees breakdown and just walk away.

Has Potential, but only if Management Changes

I worked at Addison Whitney

Pros

-Good work-life balance, I only worked overtime occasionally
    -Fantastic open-office structure
    -I felt my department was managed and trained well by our boss
    -Opportunity to work with some great companies

Cons

-As much as management "tries," there is no structure in promotions - some people who work there for years do not receive any, while others receive multiple promotions in the same period. Favoritism plays a large factor in this.
    -Have witnessed upper management lying to clients frequently.
    -A lot of cliques, some of them quite cold and who viciously gossip about other employees

Advice to Management

-Appreciate and give credit to those who do a large amount of the work. Based on the reviews here and my experience working at AW, management should also receive feedback on their performance and what improvements they can make.

AWful and AWkward – Run by Adolescent Boys

Former Employee - Awer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Awer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Addison Whitney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office appearance itself is fantastic, open and welcoming, with plenty of open space. It encourages open communication with the staff members who work in the main open areas. There are many people who are professional to balance much of the inappropriate behavior and lack of leadership.

Cons

There really isn’t any communication with the executives on a company wide level anymore, at least not in an effective or positive way. Most people (not all) who have an office deliberately shut themselves away from the company as a whole and do not engage. Leadership has an overwhelming unwelcoming presence with anti-social, awkward behavior that can turn threatening at times for no apparent reason, which results in extreme distrust of management. There is a clear edict that asking for change is considered speaking out against the company and will result in childish punishments. I am not sure how some people have dealt with this for so long and can see why many people have left.

You will be grossly overworked.

Advice to Management

I find it surprising that AW is still in business considering how it is managed.

Great company work - Horrible President

I worked at Addison Whitney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do alot of great work and really cool designs. Great starting company for those fresh out of college

Cons

The President is uncaring and very mean to his staff. He rarely leaves his office (if he even comes into work). He is very unfair and has made his Management Staff fire people on his behalf because he simply did not like that person.

Advice to Management

Get a new President

A long and painful journey...

I have been working at Addison Whitney full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like some of the people I work with so much that I consider them personal friends. There was a long stretch where things were truly improving, changes were actually being made and for once there was an agreement that things actually needed to change. We got a new office and left the dark stained pit that was once Addison Whitney behind. Our teams grew, developed and started to work together. This lasted for a short time and then everything changed and that dirty stain which was the old AW just came right back up to the surface. People who were making an impact just couldn't take the constant resistance and undermining, they either left or just stopped trying. There was a chance to be great and we missed it - I feel like we spit on our own fire till it went out.

Cons

Anyone who is "different" will be pushed out and treated terribly by the leader and some of the staff. Different can mean allot of things, maybe your family doesn't have a ton of money, maybe you are too meek, too strong, too tall, too loud or you like to keep pictures of your pet on your desk. It could be anything but most likely it will have nothing to do with how you 'try' to do your job. There are road blocks that will magically appear and your work will be judged well before it is ever seen. Anything you do that is good will be literally torn apart. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen a good worker just get shut out and when it happens you just know it’s the end of them, but the bullying will go on for months before they are asked to leave or they are pushed out. The accountability from the President is non-existent, he poisons his own well and places blame on anyone (and everything) he can. It is sad to watch what could have been a decent place turn on itself again and again.

Advice to Management

Others do all your work and take all your blame and your punishments but when the numbers are not there for a long period of time, you will be looked at and you will be pushed out.

Not a healthy place to work

Current Employee - Awer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Awer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Addison Whitney full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are people who seem very nice and the office environment itself has an amazingly positive and open energy.

Cons

The work seemed interesting and creative at first but it really is very superficial. There are cliques who undermine attempts to join into work functions or even projects. Often there are open cruel comments made about employees in public areas and a very arrogant superior mentality that truly is unfounded. There is a profound negativity among the staff that has been here for any significant period of time, it is very sad to think that many of them are leadership. Turnover is clearly an issue and I have heard it has been going on for a long time.

Advice to Management

Maybe if you truly don’t like the people and the job; it is time to just retire.

Hot Mess, Disgustingly Satisfied with Mediocrity

I worked at Addison Whitney full-time

Pros

I now know exactly what I do NOT want in a company or position moving forward. The job itself is very easy task-wise…but the people you work with make the job frustrating and nearly impossible.

Cons

Where do I even begin? The environment is very cold and unwelcoming. I would make eye contact with people in the morning and say “hello” or “good morning” just to have them completely not reply to me and keep walking (this happened several times with several different people; doesn’t exactly make you excited to work with them on a project). People talk crap about one another and the managers have clear favorites.

The “on boarding” is a complete joke. The departments are so fragmented they are like separate businesses entirely and rarely all work together on projects. Everyone is nice and friendly during the on boarding as well, then back to their usual unfriendly behavior as soon as the meeting is over.

When you ask questions you always receive vague, non-answers (I’m positive this is because no one knows the answer) and very condescending replies. The executives have truly mastered making you question your own skills and abilities so you are hesitant to question theirs.

Rather than having a review process for your work, especially when you first begin you receive zero feedback until you have “completed” your work just to get tons of edits (usually silly things like formatting). Then they act irritated like you should have known better without every being informed of their formatting guidelines.

The bottom line is this “branding firm” is run by salesmen who know nothing about branding or market research nor do they care about making quality recommendations to clients. They just want the clients’ money and will throw anyone under the bus to cover their own Inadequacies. Just be sure to cover your butt if you accept a position with this company.

Advice to Management

Management is the biggest problem and considering they are all too pompous to ever consider any constructive feedback all I have to say is just keep driving those nails into your company’s coffin.

A Good Group of Talented Individuals

Former Employee - Core Team in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Core Team in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Addison Whitney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This team is full of creativity and pride. I believe in them individually, trust their abilities and I am proud of them!

Cons

There are aspects that can be challenging but the benefits can outweigh the negative in most situations.

Advice to Management

Rely on your strengths and refocus areas of the business that are too time consuming for your individual or constant attention - Value the team, they earn it everyday.