Addthis
www.addthis.com Vienna, VA 50 to 149 Employees

Addthis Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014
Addthis – Vienna – “Happy hackathon winners”

Great gig for engineers

I have been working at Addthis full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking on fun and cutting edge tech, use a lot and contribute to open source, solving problems at scale. Free lunches, company and team events throughout the year, frequent town halls keep employees up to speed on biz updates. Engineering culture is great, allows people to make mistakes and learn and get better in the process rather than point fingers. We get to drive product direction, the process is very agile, we practice what we preach - frequent deploys to prod. Never a problem to work from home or take time off.

ConsStrategy and company direction has been a weakness in the past, seems to be getting solidified recently.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the openness and transparency that's been evident in the recent past. Make sure teams have resources to deliver on set goals.

A great place to learn _all_ the things (Engineering and science)

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Addthis full-time for more than a year

ProsInteresting technical challenges with a ton of opportunities to really pull things apart to see how they work and design new solutions.

Wide variety of projects that still add value. Feel like doing some micro optimizations? No problem; you can do so without feeling like you are spending your time sub optimally. Another day you might want to hack on some web ui - still helpful. Or run an experiment with billions of records, or dive deep into the TCP stack.

If you've ever been interested in "big data" or using Hadoop, you will get your fill. You can use Hadoop if you want, but they have their own platform which they actively develop and works more efficiently if less smoothly.
Working here will teach you so much about data processing and analysis that you will not only look down on people who use Hadoop/MapReduce, but on the very developers who made them.

Engineering management is competent and reasonable. Work hours are extremely flexible. Coworkers are all pleasant. Free lunch, snacks, drinks etc.

ConsMost of the company won't understand what you do. Neither will most of the internet.

The flip side of having so many things to work on is that the age old "20% of the work for 80% of the benefit" frequently compels you to let ever more perfectly reasonable improvements/ projects sit in your back log.

Other parts of the company are sometimes a little more volatile

Advice to Senior ManagementSome more engineers would be nice

Real big data company

I have been working at Addthis

ProsUnique opportunity in the DC metro area to work for a tech company with a relatively small company size that has a huge impact on the web. The Engineering teams are very well managed. Goals are clearly planned out and time is correctly budgeted to accomplish the stated objectives. Managers give relevant positive and negative feedback.

ConsThere has been some turnover on the sales side of the company. Some of it is natural for a startup and some of it appears to be a positive course correction to fix earlier mistakes.

Dream job for engineers

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Addthis full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI had good engineering chops before working here but AddThis is where I learned to apply them at scale. Your work literally impacts a billion users - walk in to any room and most of the people there will have AddThis javascript cached on their phones. I don't know of any other companies this small with so much reach. The company is the right size so you can still make a huge personal impact, rather than working in a farm of other engineers like at Google or Facebook. The people are nice too, I consider a lot of them to be friends.

ConsPretty unstructured, they expect you to figure out a lot of your work on your own. I wish the lunches were healthier. The office can get pretty noisy too if you don't like headphones. We've gone through some turnover lately on the sales side, it was worrisome at first but the changes seem to be working.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more details about the strategy and stay focused, we tend to get a lot of distractions.

Unique and challenging environment

HR (Former Employee)

I worked at Addthis full-time for more than a year

ProsAddThis is a rare company in the DC area. It's a web product used by over 1.6 Billion people each month. To get that kind of product, you generally have to move to Silicon Valley. Casual environment with smart people and a lot of latitude to make your own decisions. Especially for Engineers, the AddThis environment is unmatched in the area. Weekly all hands meetings are a great way to increase transparency.

ConsAll companies have their challenges. AddThis has certainly had theirs. The technology has always been top notch, but it took a while for the business side to find traction. That caused some headaches for sales, product, and engineering in the past. But in the last few years, the business side has improved dramatically.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to the core values the company was founded on - work hard, team first and enjoy the ride - the rest will take care of itself.

There was a lot of potential but ends up being an extremely disappointing time and wasted energy.

Client Services (Current Employee)

I have been working at Addthis full-time for more than a year

ProsYou're able to dress in casual attire, you get free lunch, and a somewhat relaxed atmosphere. A game room that has a football table, small selection of Xbox games, and a sometimes workable Mortal Kombat arcade game machine. On some occasisions, there is free alcohol when someone quits, retires, or has a birthday.

ConsManagement is by far the worst and largest disappointment. It is almost incomparable to anything I've ever seen from every department. Specifically speaking, Client Services is a cluster mess. Sales is not sure what is the main focus or pitch, Account Management is unaccountable and extremely dismissive, and Ad Operations is overwhelmed. What they all lack is leadership, all Directors in each mentioned group are horrible teachers and mentors. Every team lead, supervisor, and executive is only worried about their own selfish gain in career growth so if you're an associate level employee, you most likely won't make it very far but you will definitely be pushed and blamed about the short comings your department will face. Finally, some of the reviews are fake so be cautious on who to believe if you accept the job position because your supervisor may be deceitful in order to steal your ideas or throw your name under the chopping block.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh level executive believes that they have to hire someone in order to stop the bleeding without understanding how to analyze the situation. The company prides itself on hiring the right people but only relies on employees with a Cheif in their title to resolve everything. Stop throwing money at hiring more experienced people in the industry because AddThis is extremely different as far as companies go so you're essentially taking away from promotions because you're bringing a new face and bringing them up to speed which takes far much longer than they really expect. Morale is such garbage, fix that as soon as possible. The employees on the bottom know that they are essentially treated like waste so it feels like mutiny is always going to happen. You're only able to be a Cheif, VP, or Director because of the work the "peasants" do so that you're able to appease to the board of directors, maybe treat them better even behind closed doors because word spreads quickly.

AddThis = Shaky Start-up

Account Executive (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Addthis full-time for less than a year

ProsAbility to work from home

ConsI've worked here for about 5 months in Sales. They say they are about 100+ employees but the turnover rates for many positions in the company is high. Upper management is highly unorganized and so is operations. The recruiter told me that it was a new position but the last person before me either quit or left in two months (total red flag). Most positions in this company are a revolving door. Morale and values are trending downwards. Don't be sucked into the "great benefits" because all you'll get is smoke and mirrors. All the Sales reps have left in the past 3 months... clearly due to instability.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore structure and resources

Average company

I have been working at Addthis

Pros-Relaxing environment
-At times some challenging work

Cons- Very understaffed
- Management is not focused on the employees and many lack basic management skills
- Belief that open spaces will increase productivity- 60 people in one big room talking all day long, moving back and forth, etc. will help me be more productive?
- If you are not an engineer be prepared to be treated as a second-class citizen
-While they boast about "catered lunch everyday" this only applies to the VA office and 4 out of 5 days it is sandwiches.
- Focus is often on the least cost solution, not the best one.
- Intense focus by technical leads on hewing to the "internet startup culture" at all costs

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople make the product and generate sales. You are driving away all the best employees by very poor management and letting the technical leads decide all business decisions.

Chasing shiny objects

Director (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Addthis full-time for more than a year

ProsHave a great data asset, because 14 million publishers worldwide let them track users through their javascript tags

ConsHaven't really figured out how to make money off what they have; product is chasing shiny objects and the next great thing, their managed services team is not profitable, and the executives are not able to do what they were hired to do without the board interfering.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on revenue generating products and services.

Great Culture

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Addthis full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI loved working at Addthis (then Clearspring). The leadership was fantastic, and the people I worked with were really smart.

ConsOur main product offering changed a lot, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It kept getting better.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up and continue to be transparent to your team.

Worked for Addthis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Addthis reviews and ratings. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Addthis employees.