Addus Healthcare Reviews

58 reviews filtered by
2.1
Addus Healthcare President and CEO Mark S. Heaney
Mark S. Heaney

Pros
  • Pay for home care aides is ( nominally) above minimum (in 3 reviews)

• Close to home and benefits package is ok (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Complete lack of communication throughout organization (in 2 reviews)

• Low pay with little or no raises (in 2 reviews)

1. Great company!

Former Employee - Program Assistant/CNA in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Program Assistant/CNA in Eugene, OR

I worked at Addus Healthcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. The scheduler worked around my school schedule wen when it changed. Everyone in the office is friendly and helpful. I only left to pursue the nursing program at Lane.

Cons

Getting too attached to clients and then they move or something happens :-(

Advice to Management

Be proud - reward your scheduler. She works VERY HARD!

2. Home Health Aide

I worked at Addus Healthcare

Pros

Able to Attend School Full-Time

Cons

Not enough clients to service

Horrible from day one.

Current Employee - Home Care Aide

I have been working at Addus Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros for working for this company. Absolutely none.

Cons

I had this review written up, and my browser decided to crash.. So here I go again.
    From day one there have been problems. They took a month to compete my background check and I have NOTHING on my record, not even a parking ticket. They took five months to get my REQUIRED name tag, with me reminding them weekly. They either lost it or lost the paperwork etc. I was told they would schedule all my classes for me and never was told about the deadlines I had to take the classes and the test. They scheduled everything just a week before my deadline and I was told they would schedule my test date and they failed to do so. I had to, which is normal but I didn't know that at the time. They also have the employees clock in and out on a device like a cellphone. You log the hours and tasks completed and the client signs it at the end of the day. Not only does my client have to sign the device but she also has to initial the paper time sheets each day and sign them each week. AND I'm constantly having to fill out exception sheets for days and hours that the device messes up. So with three means of logging my hours I am STILL getting paid incorrectly. I've had money that took them a month to get back to me, I have bills you cannot do that to a person working full time expecting money. It's all around a horrible company. These are just a few examples of what has happened to me in the short year I've been here.

Advice to Management

Management, when your employees call you, answer. If you cannot answer CALL THEM BACK. Do not YELL at your employees. I've been scolded and yelled at by the manager numerous times for things as simple as COORPORATE transferring ME to the wrong person on the phone. You have horrible ways of dealing with your employees and your Clients as well.

Not good.

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Addus Healthcare

Pros

Once you get your payrolls done you have downtime which typically gets used up by those who slack off on payroll and need help.

Cons

No forward mobility. I worked for the company for 5 months, trained my lead as well as other payroll specialists, they felt I was a model employee but extended my contract with a staffing agency. They only promote guys. They are a payroll company who converted to a new system and forgot to put in tax deposit schedules.

Advice to Management

The management is incompetent and doesn't have a desire to learn.

Wages go missing, incompetent staff/supervisors

I have been working at Addus Healthcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are absolutely desperate and about to become homeless, that might be a reason to try to work for Addus

Cons

Wages go missing regularly. When questions arise the person you are trying to reach is either "on vacation" or "sick". Messages are never returned. The office staff will send you to corporate, and corporate will send you right back to office or ignore you. Office staff is downright incompetent. They'll send you a paperwork submission schedule with deadlines, then change the schedule without notifying you and then delay your pay because "you were late submitting your paperwork". It's always the worker's fault. If your pay does not come it's always "our computer was down" and the ubiquitous "sorry for the inconvenience". This is a near-minimum wage job and people rely on being paid on time, but Addus doesn't care. They are absolutely unconcerned about when their worker gets paid, yet they demand strict adherence to their schedules, which they'll change without notice. They demand you attend "paid in-service" hours on weekends, but you will only receive minimum wage for those hours, not your rate and they do not pay for training at all.
    Overall, this company is ripping off the working people any way it can.

Advice to Management

Start paying people on time. Hire supervisors who do their job and don't make up excuses.

A horrible mistake in choosing to work for Addus Healthcare.

Current Employee - Home Care Aide in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Home Care Aide in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Addus Healthcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros as to employment with this company. If it were possible Addus would only receive 1/2 star.

Cons

--Lack of interpersonal skills throughout various department levels.
    --Poor communication - being that voicemail messages are RARELY returned.
    --Appalling and continual payroll problems - persist issues with non payment for hours worked, as well as being paid at the wrong pay rate.
    --Called the corporate office and held for 48 minutes without ever reaching a live person. It was solely the recorded message that all agents are assisting other callers.

Advice to Management

New payroll staff to alleviate the deep-rooted/problematic issues which are persistently ongoing. Train/educate all office employees on basic customer service skills and etiquette - from the Director on down to the call center.

Utter lack of communication for their staff as well as their clients.

Current Employee - Home Health Aide in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Home Health Aide in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Addus Healthcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

*My clients are amazing...
       This was the job that I have gone to school for and have wanted to do while going on to further my nursing career. Unfortunately, it seems that I have picked the wrong company to work for and it seems that I am not alone.

Cons

* Complete and utter lack of communication between the office, the field and the clients.
    *If your time card is even 5 minutes late, they will with hole your paycheck until the next payday.
    *Unable to work with you should unexpected health issues arise...
    *Barely above minimum wage pay for a job that is not only physically but emotionally taxing.

Advice to Management

I know from personal experience that the office staff need to work on being more caring and compassionate to its clients as well as its employees. Better pay and paid sick days would be nice. I was almost fired because of attendance due to medical issues that were out of my hands.

Unprofessional environment with little to no communication or ability to work up the ladder.

I have been working at Addus Healthcare

Pros

Homecare aides are unsung heroes who deserve to be treated much better for their work day in and day out. Being at Addus is not a career, it is a job.

Cons

Long hours, no clear and defined responsibilities or goals, no support from management. Excellence is not rewarded and mediocrity is not corrected, which destroys morale within the rank and file. There is no such thing as middle management which creates a chasm between C-levels and operations. Company relies on theory over daily operations and the results are predictable. Company acquires other agencies and does not hire or train appropriate support center staff to handle increase in traffic, instead they eliminate positions to save on operational cost and once again, the results are predictable. Decision makers strategy is flawed and unsound, execution is even more unacceptable. Zero ability to move up in the company, zero ability to change company culture even when ideas are brought to the table. Company has grown leaps and bounds over the years but still operates like a 'Mom & Pop.'

Advice to Management

In the end all we are is a service and customer service is of the utmost importance, especially for this industry. If you gut the infrastructure which supports this service based company it will effect your bottom line indefinitely. Force the few middle managers to actually manage, instead of sitting in closed door meetings all day long. Hire appropriate levels of staff or realize that once clients and potential customers figure out that your customer service is beyond sub par due to lack of staff, poor training for the few who are actually hired, and little to no communication between corporate and offices across the nation, they will leave in droves. Stop catering to the daily stock price and instead of focusing on marketing campaigns to give the impression of compassion, get to work on what it will actually take to be a leader in this industry.

Support center needs support

Current Employee - Support Center Employee in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Support Center Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Addus Healthcare

Pros

diverse daily duties; never boring
    company provides an honorable and much needed service to elderly population
    friendly co-workers
    new office, just moved there in May 2014
    Gym on site and very inexpensive to join
    cafeteria on site reasonably priced good food.

Cons

Executive management prefers to burn out dedicated salaried employees and blame it on ineffectual senior and mid-level management than hire the hands needed to complete the workload effectively.
    People who love the company as well as the actual work they do there leave simply because they tire of little to no work life balance and of being berated for not being able to complete an impossible task load within the timelines demanded.
    Addus consistently acquires new companies, centralizes all support functions, and fails to hire more staff to appropriately handle the additional work load.

Advice to Management

Senior; higher paid staff should be hired and/or additional positions approved.
    People want to excel at their jobs.
    But they should not have to work 60 hours/week, regularly in order to do it.

For God Sake Please Do an over haul on southern IL ADDUS. MARION IL

Current Employee - HCA in Marion, IL
    Current Employee - HCA in Marion, IL

I have been working at Addus Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Medical insurance is paid and that is it.

Cons

They treat you like your below avg intelligence. You will not get paid for what you work. They mess with your mileage,
    drive time, holiday pay, hours, your wages in general. They lie to you most of the time. If you treat your employees this badly it affects your overall clients health and they do not care about client if they can get to you.

Advice to Management

If you have this bad of reputation in so. Illinois then you need a director change and the one over her. What part if its not working and your going through a lot of employees and work comp suits that your not getting. Every ethical rule is being broken. Every law is being broken.