Adknowledge Reviews

Reset
3.8
Adknowledge CEO Ben Legg
Ben Legg

Pros
  • Relaxed yet fast-paced environment - tons of perks like free lunches, fun events, no dress code (in 23 reviews)

• Dynamic, fast paced and constantly evolving company (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Fast paced environment can some times hurt focus on projects (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes have to work long hours on short notice (in 5 reviews)

intern

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Adknowledge

Pros

great company culture, felt like tasks actually contributed to company

Cons

did not experience any cons

Be ready to be a number.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Adknowledge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One great thing about working for a tech company is -- the tech. Macbook Pro is the standard laptop of choice and before I left, they were buying better laptops which is great for developers.

Cons

Most employees are just a number. Adknowledge is made up of acquisitions. This causes an unstable work environment where at any time, management could decide a team is no longer necessary for growth and poof, the team is dissolved. Some may be let go and some may be absorbed by other teams.

Other than being just a number and the constant instability of teams, the work that Adknowledge often times borders on illegal. For that reason, job satisfaction was low as the only purpose to the company is to generate more and more revenue.

Oh yeah, if you get promised bonuses/etc, take it with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

- Be more honest and transparent.
    - When you land good talent, fight to keep them.
    - Stop looking at just what's right in front of you. Look up and see where you're going.. Quick hacks to generate more revenue NOW will lead to more technology debt.

3. Roll-Up Central/What is culture?

I worked at Adknowledge

Pros

Occasional free lunches, interesting health incentives, a Party when the CEO in town. Little to no business pros, simply superficial.

Cons

If you want to work for a company that almost deliberately tries to destroy a productive work hard/play hard culture then be acquired by or be hired by Adknowledge. Management seems to see every morally right or business' best decision and turns a blind eye or goes in the other direction. They love high volume/low margin/hands off companies. Which is why each of their channels are pitted against each other to take off the white glove service they previously provided and automate to and scale with no additional resources. In turn, this ends up with channels doing poorly and results in a roll-up. Moving people around from business to business, while firing half the team. So often times you have someone working on a project that understands little to no context.

Advice to Management

Stop poking and changing your most profitable companies until they go under. Let them be.

Fast Paced Environment

I have been working at Adknowledge

Pros

-strong investment in adtech
    -very results and goal oriented culture, basically "get stuff done" mentality
    -people are friendly and team player centric

Cons

-lack of professional development and management training
    -murky vision for the company
    -hiring process could be more stringent

Advice to Management

Focus more on HR and culture to develop, maintain and grow your top tier talent.

Adknowledge is a great company to work for.

I worked at Adknowledge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people, great benefits and they pay well. They are a very employee centered and offer paid lunches twice a week.

Cons

They need to do a better job communicating changes to their employees.

Jun 16, 2015Communications manager

We appreciate the review and will take a harder look at how we engage employees as our business inevitably changes.

Want predictability and bankers hours? Apply elsewhere.

Current Employee - Shared Services in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Shared Services in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is always challenging and the pay is fair. We have perks here that people in the "regular" corporate world would kill for: catered lunch twice a week, daily happy hours with stocked beer refrigerators, free snacks and drinks throughout the day.

Cons

We move fast and pivot often, but that's digital marketing. If you work somewhere in this industry that DOESN'T make routine changes, your shop is going to be dark soon. It's just the nature of the business.

Advice to Management

Run hard with video--it's the next big thing in digital advertising. From a personnel standpoint, work with A-players to create career paths It'll keep the good ones from going elsewhere.

Jun 16, 2015Communications manager

Thank you for taking time to write a review; we work hard to create a fun, energetic work environment. We're glad you thrive on it!

The Worst Company I Ever Worked For!

Former Employee - Sales in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Adknowledge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really wish there was something positive I could say about this company, the Sr. Management team are a bunch of greedy narcissistic ego maniacs that only care about how much money they can make.

Cons

To put it bluntly do not even look at job opportunities with Adknowledge, they will suck the life out of you and then re-org and let you go.

Advice to Management

QUIT!

It's a cliche but we really do work hard play hard.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We have great leadership with a clear vision. No one is looking over my shoulder and telling me what to do each day. I have my tasks and I'm evaluated based on my performance. We don't sweat the little things. Feels like my second family.

Great benefits, very casual comfortable environment. They want you to feel at home and it does feel that way. Catered food twice a week, beer in the fridge, pool table. Excellent medical benefits.

Cons

It's an entrepreneurship environment, if you like clear cut daily tasks this might not be for you.

Advice to Management

It would be great to have more interdepartmental events. I know very few people outside of my department. It would be great to have some group activity like Paint Balling to get to know everyone.

Great Potential for Growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Adknowledge has great health benefits. Ideas and opinions of individual employees are encouraged and highly considered. It's a fun office culture with great incentives for acting above and beyond. Company wide activities also encourage social interactions.

Cons

Technology used. Microsoft Exchange can be difficult to use and integrate.

Advice to Management

Allow remote work.

Fluidity

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time

Pros

The online advertising business is always changing. This company is consistently looking for ways over under and through the challenges that arise on a regular basis. It has a diverse business model in multiple segments of the industry. There are consistent promotions within the organization and transferring employees between teams to focus on priorities for those who are good at what they do. Alot of people have bonus opportunity directly tied to the performance of the business and managers can change targets as the business changes. If the company goals are missed, you can still earn a bonus awarded by your manager if you are awesome at what you accomplished so you are not penalized. There is always too much to do and I like how the company has made it so you can hold yourself accountable for your own balance when it comes to your personal life and still be successful. We have flexibility in time-off, we have great technology to do our job on the fly, and we have quite a few activities during the work days to give us mental breaks. Everyone contributes and has the opportunity to affect the business, I love that is is a place where "that's not my job" or "there's nothing I can do" is not part of our makeup.

Cons

The cons are more about what works for you. If you want an 9-5 job where it doesn't push you, this place is not it. If you are not comfortable with change, then this isn't it. If you need a place where you have a identified career ladder, then ADK is not right and probably never will be because all the teams I know are small. I believe the reason for this is to give the ability for everyone to make an impact and people are not in a silo of only being allowed to do one thing. If you like clearly defined paths and processes, this is the downside to a consistently changing business and strategy, it won't happen. You have to be flexible, driven, enjoy making decisions and offering impact on a daily basis... there is no room for phoning it in.

Advice to Management

Management has greatly improved in promoting their people however the downside to this is training new managers. There are a lot who can use this and should be required to complete. Also the downside to multiple business and changing strategies, is some times there is a lack of continuity and communication. Communicate what is driving changes, talk about the challenges or the bad so your people can understand why certain decisions are made. Yes it may create a short time negative result however your good employees will step up and help move beyond it.

Dec 5, 2014Communications manager

Wow! Thanks for writing an incredibly thorough review. You make lots of valid points, and thank you for the reminder that we can always improve intra-office communication.

RSS Feed </> Embed