Adknowledge

Updated September 5, 2014
3.9

Adknowledge CEO Ben Legg
Ben Legg

Pros
  • Good benefits (medical, flexible time-off, free lunches twice a week etc) (in 23 reviews)

• PTO policy is nice, as are the catered lunches and casual/no dress code (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Very fast-paced (which isn't a "con" to many here) (in 11 reviews)

• frequent management/team changes, lack of training, less career growth opportunities (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

A fast-moving company with incredibly bright, driven employees.

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Adknowledge as an intern for less than a year

Pros

No matter what department you work in, there will be something new on your plate every single day. Sure, many of your daily duties may stay the same, but the peripheral work that fills out the rest of the day almost always presents a new challenge. This fast-paced culture has greatly developed my work ethic and ability to pivot quickly between often substantial tasks.

The best part of my internship was the learning curve that my department allowed me. While at first my hand was held every time I took on a new project, now that I have been here a few months, I have much more autonomy to tackle challenges largely on my own. The ability to own the projects that I complete has empowered and driven me to work incredibly hard and leaves me satisfied upon every day's completion.

Another huge pro of Adknowledge is the laid-back, "Silicon Valley" culture that exists there. The Kansas City office has no dress code, caters in lunch twice per-week, and has free "Beer Fridges" on Fridays from which employees are welcomed to drink. The open floor plan, which features zero offices, means that as an intern, I am just a few steps away from the CEO's desk. I cannot imagine another company at which I would comfortable randomly approaching the President for his opinion on a project of mine. It's about as "chill" of a corporate environment that one could hope to find.

Cons

It is sometimes hard to maintain focus/structure when accomplishing any long-term tasks when so many side-projects pop up every day. This is truly the nature of the double-edged sword that is digital marketing. The ground is moving so quickly beneath you that it's easy to leave non-essential projects, sometimes even meaningful ones that at one point greatly excited you, completely in the rearview.

Also, meetings can often be derailed by a diffusion of responsibility regarding certain tasks. For instance, it can be frustrating to witness a 10-minute debate between programmers over a small website component at a department-wide meeting. The frustration is twofold: first, the component was probably delegated to just one of the programmers, making the other programmer's opinion extraneous. Secondly, even if a department member wants their opinion heard on another member's separate, niche project, this matter could/should be handled in private, rather than in a department-wide forum wherein more than half of the members don't even understand the conversation.

This problem can be solved by more transparently delegating projects and not allowing department members to co-micromanage one another on supposedly autonomous projects.

To c-level management: Keep doing what you are doing. The recent acquisitions of Giant and TriVu are bringing Adknowledge into the exciting, exploding industry of digital video, which should become ADK's bread and butter moving forward. Everyone at the company genuinely admires and respects both the opinions and personalities of the c-suite. It was truly a fantastic experience to work for such a positive, creative, supportive corporate environment.

To mid-level management: Employees at Adknowledge are incredibly bright-- empower them to do more of their own work without intra-departmental interference. I found myself held up on various projects throughout the summer purely because my latest draft was sitting in the email inbox of a higher-up in chain of command. I realize that corporate chains of command exist for excellent reasons, but I wonder if there is a way to further optimize the efficiency of production by removing some checks and balances during the procedural process of getting a finished project approved.

Aug 22, 2014Communications manager

Thanks for posting such a thorough review! We're happy you had a good experience with Adknowledge. And thank you for hanging in there as priorities and project deadlines changed. That's digital ... More

Modern Meritocracy

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time for less than a year

Pros

Data-focused decision-making. Fast-moving (product mix changes with needs of the customer). Teammates represent the best of the best.

Cons

Objective measures determine individual, business group and overall organizational success. Culture encourages everyone to be nimble and understand and/or anticipate the needs of their customers, both internal and external.

Keep iterating and expand into new markets. Look within for future leaders. There's a strong pool of talent.

Aug 22, 2014Communications manager

Thank you for taking time to provide your thoughts--you're absolutely correct in your assessment of the strong pool of internal talent!

No Two Days the Same at ADK

Current Employee - Team Lead, Account Management  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Team Lead, Account Management in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture at Adknowledge is unlike any place I have worked in Kansas City. We really embody the phrase "work hard, play hard". There is a contagious energy in the office - everyone strives to come up with better ideas and more innovative strategies than we did the day before. Our industry is always changing, forcing us to adapt with it. No two work days are the same for this reason, which makes coming to work every day much more enjoyable. Employee are rewarded for hard work with tons of perks, like a casual dress code, catered lunches, free soda machines and Starbucks coffee. It is not uncommon to find people shooting pool, playing darts or engaging in a fierce game in the break room throughout the day.

Cons

There are a lot of opportunities to move and change positions throughout the company and to other office locations, but there is somewhat limited opportunity for upward career advancement. Senior management and leadership roles do not become available very often.

I think employees would appreciate more frequent updates on the state of the business (acquisitions, changes to the organization, general updates).

Aug 22, 2014Communications manager

We appreciate your candid thoughts; we try to provide frequent and timely updates on notable changes at the company. Perhaps we should re-examine our efforts and do more. Thanks!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Highly talented organization with incredibly opportunity for advancement

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Dynamic, fast paced and constantly evolving company. There is always something new to learn and a new way to contribute to the success of the business. Employees are empowered to think outside the box and collaborate with their fellow highly intelligent, driven co-workers. Employees are recognized for their contribution and there is great opportunity to move within the various business units, expanding your own individual knowledge as well as furthering your career.

Cons

The company is demanding - but this isn't necessarily a "con" for most of the employees. The demanding culture brings with it innovation and success. This is not the company for someone looking for a 9-5 job where they can blend into a group.

Keep sharing information, involving employees at all levels in discussions around the vision of the company. Don't stop asking for feedback and don't stop listening when you receive it.

Apr 8, 2014Communications manager

Thank you for the review and for your years of contribution. It's important to hear from an Adknowledge veteran with your level of experience and perspective!

Everyone gets a chance to succeed here

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Lots of smart people--it's an engineer-driven company
    2. The money is pretty good--competitive for the field
    3. Free lunches a couple times per week--company caters-in pretty good meals
    4. Decent benefits, especially for tech company--good health and OK 401k

Cons

1. Fast pace (not a drawback for me)
    2. Somewhat limited advancement possibilities
    3. Hours can be long, depending on current projects

Keep giving the teams the freedom to innovate. That's where this company has succeeded and that's how it'll get to the next level. Make sure everyone feels like a contributor to this progress.

Only a handful of KC companies offer this type of exposure, and this is one of them.

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time for more than a year

Pros

I'm always learning and tackling something I've never done before which keeps me challenged and having fun. My resume continues to build, all while absorbing the knowledge from the data junkies and thought leaders we've attracted here at ADK. The experience I'm getting today is such a commodity, especially in the small market of KC. Come here to grow and you'll get what you asked for. The culture, benefits, perks, people - all fantastic. Honorable mentions are the catered lunches, the random fun events and contests, and the commitment to wellness.

Cons

The challenges lie more in the industry rather than the company. Digital advertising, and more specifically the technology behind it, change so quickly that before you finish one initiative you're onto the next. You have to be okay with scrapping many of your projects without seeing them through, then switching gears - maybe all in the same week. This is the definition of innovation - and not everyone's built for it. If you're one of those people that likes to 'perfect your craft' and then sit on it with pride for the next decade, this isn't for you.

Keep up the good work.

Adknowledge is a great company to work for, with great team members.

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time

Pros

Strong leadership, focus, teamwork, great communication. We are in a challenging and ever-changing industry, which makes every day different and exciting.

Cons

There are still growing pains due to how fast the industry changes.

Continue communicating and sharing insights with the teams!

Great Company for A-Players

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellence is rewarded, slackers wash-out quickly--usually in one year.

Focus on results: little politics in the office. If you produce, you excel.

Collegial atmosphere: routinely see team members hanging out to grab a drink after work

Cons

Very fast-paced (which isn't a "con" to many here)

Keep pressing forward with international expansion. While the US is a world leader in digital marketing, others are catching-up. Take advantage of that growth potential. And push the teams to integrate more seamlessly.

Ever Changing!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It has been awesome to see the changes in this company over the years. Each day new challenges arise and the employees here never seem to crumple under the pressure. We work in small teams of 5-10 where everyone has an opportunity to drive results without jumping through a bunch of bureaucratic hoops. It is definitely work hard and play hard but the "work hard" is by choice for so many. I love how your voice is heard no matter if you are a junior employee or a manager. It's exciting to see new ideas and focus come from group discussions. I see so many employees go the extra mile outside of their every day responsibilities, it is a real testament to the type of company and culture we have. Yes we have a lot of fringe benefits but its the environment and the people that make this a great place to work.

Cons

Growing pains. ADK has really focused on providing career development their employees this last year. That comes with a lot of training needs for those who moved into management. Managers have direct impact on their teams and their work life. However, I know the company recognizes this and is currently working on options to develop these managers. In the mean time is means a few bumps in the road.

Everyone here has alot to do!! If you are someone who likes to punch a clock, or your responsibilities clearly defined and that is all you do, then this place is not for you.

Continue to evolve and grow, keep on eye on those employees who may be reaching their limit then provide the resources they need

Adknowledge is a wonderful company to work for. I am so grateful they found me on LinkedIn and gave me this Opportunity.

Current Employee - Salesforce Administrator  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Salesforce Administrator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits at Adknowledge are the Best of the Best! I have not had such great insurance in a long time!

Cons

I'm very happy here and currently do not have any Cons.

Providing Ongoing training to improve my skills is Amazing! It's so nice to have an employer who really cares about your success.

Apr 8, 2014Communications manager

Thank you for the review and for getting on-board here at Adknowledge!

Worked for Adknowledge? Contribute to the Community!