Admiral Group

Updated December 4, 2014
3.4

Admiral Group CEO Henry Engelhardt
Henry Engelhardt

If you want to work in an upbeat, positive, unique office environment, there is nowhere better than Admiral

Current Employee - Customer Accounts Manager in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Accounts Manager in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Admiral Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generous share schemes, senior managers care about what you think listen to and implement, your ideas, giving back to the community, free use of luxury hotel gym, free fruit, pension contribution matching, ministry of fun, ministry of health, exceptional support from our people services department, inspiring training during interactive courses and on line learning, incentives, amazing parties (google admiral party millennium stadium for insight) managers awards for individuals, top 10 awards for departments and more....

Cons

40 hour week is only downside, 35 would be better. Flexi time in my department helps though.

Thank you for opportunities and eep up the good work. You did good....

Stressful

Current Employee - Adviser
    Current Employee - Adviser

I have been working at Admiral Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing staff, friendly environment. Great training, facilities and focus on customer service.
    Management do generally take on board suggestions.

Cons

Pay. Working hours. Unrealistic expectations & unreasonable targets.

The salary is offensively low but supplemented by the share scheme and dividends, both biannual. But they only become effective after a three year period and are subject to market fluctuations, meaning your annual wage is always in the balance. the company are misleading in depicting how generous the share scheme is as it works out overall combined with the salary and dividends to a similar starting wage for other call center jobs with other companies. The expectations of the staff are very high considering the pay. Offer a living wage without the shares scheme. The amount of active phone time expected is unreasonable and highly stressful, consider how morally acceptable it is to keep pushing staff to breaking point. The progression opportunities are slim with numerous "step up" and seconded roles used to exploit experienced staff into an increased work load for little or no pay increase. Offer a progression route with defined job opportunities at the end of it. The working hours are poor with difficult shift rotations and an additional hour on your working day in comparison to most comparable jobs. Recruit part time staff for the evenings and weekends to give full time employees a better work life balance and stable hours. Offer real benefits to the staff not parties and sweets but changes to their improve quality of life.

Great company to work for, apart from basic salary rates

Former Employee - Finance Assistant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance Assistant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Admiral Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee engagement is a big focus at Admiral. The company is based on the idea that people who like what they do, do it better, and communication takes the form of team meetings, a company-wide magazine, newly developed staff intranet, annual Staff General Meeting (SGM) and email bulletins. Employees are encouraged to have fun through team-building days and afternoons out, paid for by the company, in addition to Summer and Christmas parties for departments, and a big company-wide party held every 2 years.
    There is a great opportunity for internal promotion within the company, and many senior managers began their career in the call-centre and worked their way up.

Cons

Low basic salary - this is supplemented by a generous employee share scheme, although some employees voiced concerns that they would rather have a better basic salary than to receive shares.
    Call-centre jobs can be high pressured.
    Favouritism is widespread in many departments.

Increase basic salary

too much hard sale

Former Employee - Renewals Consultant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Renewals Consultant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Admiral Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

management all ways try to entertain you

Cons

everyday is sale sale sale
    lies to customers about prices

Great work experience, no career opportunities

I worked at Admiral Group full-time

Pros

Culture, values, fun, people, engagement

Cons

Money, benefits, senior managers, senior directors, sincerity

Choose experienced managers

Intern

I have been working at Admiral Group as an intern

Pros

Welcoming, Friendly Environment. Fun, laid back environment. Lots of independence on the project we were assigned. Allowed us to participate in leadership training with recent graduates in management track program.

Cons

Not really much to speak of. Occasionally a bit isolated on our project, but others were always willing to help/ meet up.

great company to work for

Current Employee - Human Resources in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Admiral Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

incredible opportunities. we're all equal, employer of choice, financially sound with a healthy reserve plan. free fruit, in house yoga, fun is a priority while balanced of course with getting results

Cons

professional project mgmt isn't always in the works, we fly by the seat of our pants. This has pro's (we're nimble, adaptable) but some con's (repeat errors).

put a lot of resources into the US business. all employees are shareholders and our single biggest growth potential is the massive US market. We're all counting on it from a personal finance perspective.

Strong business that has trouble hiring business leaders

I have been working at Admiral Group

Pros

Individuals get big opportunities all the time. Relatively junior staff can get make or break projects that other companies would demand decades of experience for. Ownership is pretty solid. Versus other insurers, the company is quick to make decisions and still willing to try new stuff without a 3 year delay doing endless powerpoint. On the whole these are positive things that help the business and people grow.

Cons

Recent hires in senior management are questionable - people imported from large corporates who are afraid to make decisions and don't like being asked to do work themselves. Newer business departments (overseas, price comparison) are highly political. Under-performers are not managed out and are paid so well they never volunteer to leave, meaning there is an increasing layer of dead weight in the business.

Development internal appointees rather than putting faith in external corporate hires who lack the work ethic and interest in the business needed to make us succeed. Focus on results, not politics.

Admiral Group Photos

Queensway, Newport (Photo thanks to Geograph user Robin Drayton, Some Rights Reserved)
Looking down onto a building site, Cardiff (Photo thanks to Geograph user Robin Drayton, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo