Adobe Reviews

93 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

Riding past successes, hopefully continues to survive, pretends to be progressive but is actually fairly insular.

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Interesting products, reasonable work-life balance, and they are trying do innovate and move beyond their core products. Good relative salaries. Macromedia aquisition helped to dilute the stifling old-boys club.

Cons

You need to be in the club - this is no meritocracy - it's an old-boys club. Thus if you aren't in this club - and it take years to be included - you will suffer an extremely slow path of development and promotion. If rapid growth is important to you, then you'll need to look elsewhere. Unfortunately a fair number of members of the 'club' have been at Adobe for a decade (or more), and they seem to feel like there is some time-based 'dues' that need to be paid. If you are a woman, it is also more difficult to get past Director level. There are very few that actually own product/revenue.

Advice to Management

Our attempts at innovation are fairly weak and are very close to our existing products. Glacial pace of employee development leads many folks to looking elsewhere, even though it is easy to get caught in the 'comfort' trap. But you don't want folks comfortable - you want them striving for the next level. When it is apparent that you need to be in a club to advance, or here for more than 5 years, then motivation flags.

A great place to work

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great culture, people are smart and laid back. San Francisco office is gorgeous. Great cafeteria, SOMA location, and shuttles to and from. Cube architecture works particularly well here -- the developers decorate their space, giving each branch of the office its own unique look. Definitely the best take on a cube farm I've ever seen. Products are also fantastic. It's nice being able to tell your friends that you have PDF, Flash, and Photoshop under your belt. One of the few places where you have well-known products and people don't draw immediate assumptions about you (Microsoft = Evil, Google = Weird, etc.).

Cons

Normal big-company woes, San Jose office is a drag

Advice to Management

More SF/SJ integration

3. Adobe is by far the best company that I ever worked for

Current Employee - Web Production Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Web Production Artist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Adobe offers great benefits for full-time employees, such as free ride for taking CalTrain, $100 commute expense, $30 for fitness expense per month, $10k education assistance program, free drink(milk, sodas, oj, etc), 15% discount on stock purchasing program, almost up to 4 weeks of PTO per calendar year, granting stocks to new hires, employees discount with many well-known vendors(Apple, IBM, etc), and most importantly I really like the free classes and trainings on their greatest products, including Photoshop, Flash, Flex, AIR, etc. Also, you will get a chance to work in one of the leading software company in the world, and they dominate the market basically with very little competition. The company is always profitable and therefore job security is better at Adobe. Although the recent financial crisis will affect Adobe at a certain degree, I think we are doing better than many of the companies out there. I worked for some online advertising agency in the past and if they lost a client or an account, you are screwed.

Cons

Too many layers and too much process. Sometimes it is quite hard to find information or wikis for instructions and procedures to do certain things. One simple task might take forever to finish just because it needs to go through many people.

Advice to Management

Invest more money into creating and promoting new innovation and new software that make a huge impact in our society

Adobe Product Marketing review

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I like working for Adobe because I have the opportunity to work with fantastic people while developing and marketing best-in-class products. My colleagues and management are hard-working and talented individuals whom I enjoy working with. Many of my colleagues are not only co-workers, but they have also become good friends. We make products that enable our customers to communicate and collaborate engaging ideas. As a product marketing manager, I gather feedback from sales and customers to help make our products even more powerful. In addition, it seems that nearly everyone I know outside of Adobe is an Adobe customer in some way shape or form. Many Adobe customers are very passionate about the products and love sharing feedback. Typically when it comes up in conversation that I work for Adobe, I end up in very animated discussions.

Cons

Adobe is a pretty large company and with our size comes bureaucracy and process. While I recognize the importance of process, sometimes the amount of process at Adobe can be stifling and frustrating. This is especially true for newer products that don't fit the mold of the core products. While Adobe has a very collaborative environment, sometimes it is a little too collaborative. Combined with the process, the collaborative environment can lead to drawn out decisions. By taking too long to make decisions, sometimes we miss the boat on large opportunities. Other than process and the tendency to draw out decisions, I cannot think of any other downsides.

Advice to Management

Continue the quarterly all-hands meetings. They provide a great forum for us to gain more perspective about recent results as well as the vision of the company.

Excellent place for work.

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

You cannot beat the city of San Francisco!

Cons

Company is not growing much recently, which reflects to your personal ability to switch positions or grow career faster.

Advice to Management

Grow Adobe into bigger company. Buy more office space in San Francisco and expand!

Great company, great culture, great products that you can be proud of; just with nonsensical HR policies.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Supportive culture, encourages risk taking and bottoms up decision making

Cons

HR policies around "equity" are horrible, specifically around people who move up in responsibility. You have to "boomerang"- move into a job where you're paid below industry standard, but that grants you increased responsibility; use those new skills to move into a similar, but higher paid role, at another company; then come back to Adobe later for the great culture.

Advice to Management

Revisit HR policies to ensure that you're investing in developing and retaining star employees.

Adobe pros and cons

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Location, senior management and how they treat their employees, the benefits, the products, and the company's overall philosophy are great.

Cons

At times, it is bureaucratic and there is resistance/caution to change. While I believe that people are easily recognized for good work, actually getting promoted or moving up a level is hard. The philosophy is work at the next level for a while - and then get promoted. That can be discouraging at times and, by the time you are promoted, you're very much feeling like it was past due.

Advice to Management

Continue to have the great employee benefits and, in return, employees will be happy to work as hard as they do for Adobe.

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Senior management at Adobe is willing to take risks on new technologies. They also really value employees and this effectively trickles down throughout the organization. Adobe employees are passionate and excited about their jobs but they also go out of their way to treat everyone with respect. The products!

Cons

Adobe can be very bureaucratic. The desire for consensus can make change difficult and slow. It can be difficult to break in to senior management roles (Director and above). This may be due to the low rate of attrition among senior management. This can result in people in becoming entrenched in their positions and often results in even greater resistance to change.

Advice to Management

Continue to break down barriers to change and encourage innovation.

10. well-run company at an inflection point.

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

good work-life balance, good benefits, well-run company, steady stock price, technology industry leadership.

Cons

matrixed organizations, many fiefdoms, and too many product lines (established and emerging).

Advice to Management

figure out how to make money from saas!

11. Adobe has great people

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA

Pros

Adobe has a great history and produces excellent products that are known and respected in the community. Generally Adobe has very nice people working here who understand the importance of teating others with respect. These core values were instilled in the culture of the Company by the founders and still remain in place. The majority of the senior managers of the Company understand the importance of these values and strive to keep them as a part of the culture. The Company also supports innovation and tries to make this an area of focus for the Company.

Cons

Limited career opportunities in some areas. The finance group is seen as a back office function by many in the Company.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive for accountablity for the managers of the Company. Make sure that the key business decisions have been well thought out and are the results are monitored.

RSS Feed </> Embed