Adobe

www.adobe.com
Employer Engaged

Nice company to work for

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Adobe full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Have been here for more than 10 years. Overall well balanced company.
    Work life balance is good is most teams

Cons

Bonuses used to be better before. They are okay now.
    Layoff every year for the past 3-4 years
    Too many re-org. Forget promotions due to re-orgs, as every year you might be moved to a different team, and no manager would promote you till you work for them for more than an year, and you cannot work for more than an year, since the team would get affected by a re-org. Its happened with me three years in a row.
    Some teams are super aggressive, so if you want a good work life balance, make sure you get into the right team.

Less re-orgs
    What happened to profit sharing. Despite the company doing well, once profit sharing was taken away, it never came back.

Intern

I worked at Adobe

Pros

Great people good learning environment

Cons

I did not see any cons. It was wonderful internship.

Employer of choice, or of necessity?

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Adobe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Benefits & compensation are competitive
    * Site leaders plan events to make us feel included and part of one company
    * Intriguing mix of employees, via many acquisitions ... everyone from corporate folks to creative folks; it's a nice blend

Cons

* Lots of long-term employees can mean obduracy ... "This is how we do things here." Running a business unit via oligarchy is risky. Without fresh opinions, how can you know you're not seriously off track?
    * Little chance for promotion or mobility because of low attrition at the top
    * Senior-manager-heavy: we are having trouble hiring younger people, and some of our key talent isn't that far from retirement
    * PTO policy *sounds* great, but many managers discourage you from taking time off
    * Some truly abysmal people managers who have little experience running teams but who are given no motivation or resources to change their ways.
    * Everyone seems burned out most of the time. No one smiles any more. If you say 'good morning' in the hallway, people wince because they're afraid you're going to ask for something they don't have time to do.

Many employees seem to feel 'locked in' because of generous benefits, equity, and flexible working locations. What will you do when that isn't enough to hold them? Start creating serious succession plans, as well as a multi-year talent retention and acquisition plan. The next generation doesn't want to work for Adobe. Reverse that trend before it's too late.

Sr Manager, Marketing Analytics

I worked at Adobe

Pros

Clean professional facility
    Leader in product category

Cons

Lot of mediocrity in middle management

Counsel, Adobe Legal

I have been working at Adobe full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Adobe Legal has gotten a lot better since the Dark Ages ended in 2012. Between 2002 and 2012, we had no leadership a the GC level (either from a management, intellect or talent perspective) and morale was low. The new GC is great and we're back to having a real team, so disregard the bad things that you've probably heard about working in the Legal Dept-- those stories were true pre-2012, but not now. Everyone is really smart and talented and pleasant to work with. The work is challenging and it makes the day go faster. The pay is good for in-house legal in SV.

Cons

No work life balance; trips to San Jose, if you work away from the headquarters, like me.

Keep on doing what you're doing. Keep hiring capable people and don't make any hiring mistakes like you did when you hired the previous GC. I thought about leaving for many years back in the bad days. Now, I love going to work and I'd recommend this place for any attorney having an interest and the resume to get it.

Great

I worked at Adobe

Pros

Really good experience. Great Work.

Cons

Nothing much really. Everything was good.

Be wary of advertised benefits

Former Employee - Sales Finace in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Finace in San Jose, CA

I worked at Adobe

Pros

Competitive pay, benefits, sabbatical, facilities

Cons

self-preserving managers that throw their subordinates under the bus, terrible work life balance

the manager i worked for was horrible. disregard for her subordinates and only cared about credentials on paper (i.e. CPA, MBA, Big 4, etc). i was setup to fail from the beginning despite putting in every ounce of effort. in the end, this manager only cared about saving face and promoting herself. disappointing but she was not alone. many of the benefits that are promoted are smoke and mirrors.

Watch out

I worked at Adobe full-time

Pros

- Some innovative marketing products
    - Solid following with creative class
    - Decades of success in Silicon Valley
    - Offices are in good locations in San Francisco and San Jose

Cons

- Contradictions abound. Reality vs. claimed values often clash violently.
    - Many parts of the organization operate with an arrogant monopoly mindset and ask how can we take advantage of customers, employees and vendors rather than deliver the best products and services into the market?
    - Financial pressures lead senior managers to take shortcuts running business properly. How system purchases and compensation to employees is handled can be incredibly shortsighted and expensive.

Great company and Excellent Benefits

I worked at Adobe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Adobe. Adobe benefited greatly when it acquired some key companies not only from a technology perspective but mostly from the talent that came with it.

Cons

Adobe doesn't seem to be as nimble as it once was. Harder to do business on the inside. Leadership not innovative.

Freedom

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Adobe full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I had the freedom to be creative and come up with new ideas. We had major perks and a beautiful building. The location was awesome and underground parking was a plus.

Cons

Some really bad managers who were put in that position for political reasons. It made the employee invisible and therefore having no chance of being heard since the upper management only listened to our management who in several cases should not have representing us.

Understand who is managing your people, and have them there for the right reasons.