Advance America

Advance America Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014

J. Patrick O'Shaughnessy

Pros
  • Decent pay , room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• good benefits excellent pay and 401 kplan (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no consistency in discipline and too many personal problems affect actions of upper management (in 16 reviews)

• The first is that there is limited room for advancement due to consolidation (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Commitment

I have been working at Advance America

Pros

This company is committed to creating a positive experience for employees & customers.

Cons

Multi-product focus can cause some center employees to struggle.

asst manager advance america

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bay City, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bay City, TX

I have been working at Advance America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits excellent pay and 401 kplan

Cons

once a mth neetings were a little to long

It's the best job I have ever had and would recommend this job for anyone that wants a fantastic place to work!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Center Manager
    Current Employee - Center Manager

I have been working at Advance America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My customers and EVERYBODY I work with are absolutely the BEST!!!!!!!!

Cons

We need a different location for our customers to feel at ease when they come in!!!!!!

I am saying this cause a lot of my customers don't like the area we are in, so they would like for us to be moved to a safer area that isn't so scary.........this comes from many, many, many customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advance America Response

Oct 6, 2014Human Resources

Thank your for your thoughtful response. We are thrilled at your enthusiasm for your position at Advance America. We would encourage you to share customer comments with your DDO, who has a strong ... More

Great people to work with but, a lot of poltics.

Former Employee - Center Manager in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Center Manager in Spring, TX

I worked at Advance America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training, office culture, colleagues, mentors, customers, and good pay.

Cons

Politics, a lot of work with little help, work-life balance, product variation is too much for little gain on behalf of the workers.

I believe management knows the problems they have. The HR management team needs to take a good hard look at a lot of their regions to root out conflicts of interest such as family members working in the same district or working in a district or region that can be influenced by an upper-level family member.

Advance America Response

Oct 6, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you built strong relationships with your co-workers and customers. We are continuously striving to improve and will take into consideration your ... More

Terrible is the best I can describe this company

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Denton, TX

I worked at Advance America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I mean they have okay hours but if you ever need off for anything forget it, even if you have the vacation time or personal days it is like pulling teeth! You do get every Sunday off. You do take good job skills with you if you don't have a degree. And the benefits like health is really good!

Cons

If you do not like collections this is not the place for you. The pay is not where it should be to keep employees for everything they want you to do. I was driving over 90 miles a day 6 days a week to work for this company and I eventually left for a lower paying job close to home which actually made up for the gas I was spending to go out of my way..

Make sure your stores are well staffed you can't expect 1 person to work 6 days a week for the same pay with no vacation or days off ever except Sunday..you have great benefits and you have a great out look but it doesn't work with the staffing of stores.

Micro management to the MAX!

I worked at Advance America full-time

Pros

The only 2 positive things that I can think of. 1. When you bond with your customer's they become part of your family, 2. Hope that the hiring personnel hires a good co-worker for you.

Cons

There are only 2 people per store which is bothersome due to dealing with cash every day. The hours and the pay do not make up for the amount of personal life you lose. You will never have 2 days off in a row. Be prepared you will be asked to cancel your vacation and work.

Listen to your employees; you would understand why there is so much turn over. The employees in the stores are treated horrible compared to corporate, the store employees make the money.

Think twice.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Sidney, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Sidney, OH

I have been working at Advance America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The daily work hours aren't too bad. Coworkers and customers become like family after a while. The Purpose card has good employee benefits. The benefits are a plus too.

Cons

They expect too much of their employees without sufficient pay. A Full Time Assistant Manager should be able to afford to live on their own, I can't. The company doesn't care about their employees, only money. A job requirement is to have a vehicle for marketing or traveling to a different location if needed, but they only pay $0.25/mile. Also, there was a situation where my Area Manager told me to NOT follow policy and procedure in order to cash checks, I called my RDO and he promoted her! The dirtier you are, the better I guess?

Allow employees to actually have 40 hours a week! If you say you're going to look into a situation actually do it! Let managers run their store as they see fit! Also, before rolling out a product, actually know the product before doing so! And if you're going to ask so much of you're employees then the least you could do is provide better pay! After all they're getting plenty of money from their customers. One more thing: you should sell the write offs every so often. Collection calls are what take so long to do, which is preventing us from doing all the other daily tasks in a timely manner.

A downhill slide.

Current Employee - Center Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Center Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Advance America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You learn how to delegate and organize your day

Cons

Getting everything done that they want done everyday. There are certain things that are to be done everyday and those things can not be done when something else is demanded before you can even start your day to day routine.

You need to understand what you ask of your employees. You need to realize that everything can not be done everyday because you ask too much for an 8 hour work day.

Terrible Place to work, the people you work under and for make or break employment

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Panama City, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Panama City, FL

I worked at Advance America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most customers are friendly and you get to know them very well, co-workers were awesome ( NOT MANAGEMENT) The DDO was very nice, but my center manager had her fooled the entire time I worked there, had the DDO known how terrible she treated all of her employees her time there would have been much shorter, my issue was with the manager in my store, NOT the DDO.

Cons

Sending your employees on "Bank Runs" not safe with the amount of money that is handled. Expecting employees to Market your product while keeping up with everything else is crazy, I am sure you have sufficient advertising and do not have to have your employees cruise the streets in order to gain advertising. My center manager was the DEVIL, I mean I have never ever worked for anyone like this. Look up the word Narcissistic and that was her to a T! DDO's and upper level management were ok.

Pay more attention to the people who actually run your centers. Have fair hour evaluations it is unfair to work a mother of 4 at night and a single person during the day, schedule maintenance is a must, balance hours, or shorten the work day. Expectations are to high for the pay you give, make your employees more of a priority instead of another number. I was miserable at this job, I couldn't wait to leave, I was treated terribly by my center manager, she treated everyone that worked for her terrible, she could do no wrong period. Leave room for advancement, don't base these advancements on seniority, this person was there for a very long time, but lacked managerial skills. Have your DDO's select ONE person in your store without the center managers knowing to report to you once per month about the environment they are working in, I have a feeling most of the center managers are the same as the one I had.

Worst place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Advance America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So far I have not found anything positive about this company other than getting a pay check, no matter how crappy it is.

Cons

Company policies are not explained to employees.

Company first in all aspects. They don't care about family life or the health of their employees.

They stack to much stuff into 8 hours and threaten to write up employees of every little thing is done.

Company demands travel in personal vehicles for work and then offers only $.25 per mile.

Employees are told to upsell. Drag customers into deeper holes so the cannot get out of their pay day loan so the company makes money.

Promotions are based on who kisses ___ the most. Working hard gets you no where.

Start caring about your employees, then turnover may not be so high.