Advance Auto Parts

Updated November 14, 2014
2.8

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson
Darren R. Jackson

Pros
  • If you know nothing about cars you can learn a lot (in 15 reviews)

• Team members working together to make a great environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees (in 69 reviews)

• Detached upper management who would rather use fear through sharklike district managers than encouragement (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

CAM

Former Employee - CAM in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - CAM in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Keep your head down, do what they ask, and you'll be fine.

Cons

low salary, little $ support for sales activities, mixed mgt priorities

Let the CAMs spend $ to achieve the objectives you set.

Not the company I bargained for

Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a steady job, pay is ok.. If you know nothing about cars you can learn a lot..

Cons

Stores are understaffed, upper management only cares about numbers and NOTHING ELSE. Lots of promises made and never kept.

Stop lying to the employees. Give them true facts and tell them.. THERE is no future here, its real basic.. You have a job and this is pretty much as far as you can go.. NO FUTURE.. Please stop telling new hires you can get anywhere you want to go, because its not going to happen.

Definitely a new and stronger company, if....

Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong ethics, uniform disciplinary procedure, good advancement pathways (to a point).

Cons

Micro-managed, poor pay, salary slaves. Short-staffed stores constantly struggling to keep ahead of tasks and customer challenges yield to early resignation of employees.

Stop telling store managers to "run it like you own it" and penalizing them for not doing it the "company" way.

Sales advance

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you love cars it is an interesting place to work.

Cons

Customers who think that is a free garage and come up and ask us to work on their cars for them.

it was a overall great learning experience..

Former Employee - Commercial Driver in Decatur, GA
    Former Employee - Commercial Driver in Decatur, GA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

it was ok can be a whole lot better though.

Cons

trying to get along with some of the managers or if you have to deal with human resources..

if your employees is having some type of personal problem try if you can to try and help them to resolve to the best 0f your abilitys.

A challenge/opportunity daily.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you work exceptionally hard and put yourself in the spotlight (for the right things) you may get an opportunity for advancement. That will be determined by others. Make the best of every day with your close knit team.

Cons

There are come good leaders in the ranks, but there are also some terrible leaders. How they got their position with no aftermarket experience baffles many. These leaders do the promoting and many have no clue.

Compensation would be key, the speech is "it's your store, own it". If it was my store, I would not live in fear of HR, theft-inventory loss, staffing with no hours, and the low salaries. There are good people out there, pay them and they will stay.

Corporate gets the raises and Golden parachute clauses,New team members get that great MINIMUM WAGE!

Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

working with the team members and Most customers(not all)

Cons

Programs created to set you up for failure.Just to have 2 people as a bare minimum needed to run a store from 7:30 am to !0:30 pm daily you would need 30 - 31 hours(which also doesn't give lunches or breaks or time to leave for the bank). Their MPT program will only give you 28-29 hours a day.Then the DM will call to tell you to schedule lunches.(How can you schedule lunches when there's no overlap of employees)The program forces you to schedule over the allocated hours that the stores are given.Then because you went over the hours, you automatically forfeit 1/2 of any bonus you might be eligible for.Sales goals are set too high to begin with which in turn ruins any possibility for any annual raise.Raises are despicable. Sucks as a manager to tell a team member that showing up on time,being good to customers,installing batteries and wiper blades in the rain,Freezing snow and blazing heat day in and day out will only get you a .17 cent an hour raise,AND thats if they're eligible for a raise.The programs are preset to screw employees from being eligible.Managers have little to no discretion anymore.They RARELY PROMOTE FROM WITHIN.Whoever came up with their "Scheduling Template" should be shamed publicly.

Amazing that the company is always putting out good earnings reports and giving the HIGHER UPS all those stock options with 100's and sometimes 1,000's of shares of stock and Golden Parachute clauses,but can't give a full time team member a lousy raise that would equal a measly $10.00 a week.Don't you know they get yearly raises that could buy most people a house..The company spends more money giving away merchandise to and sucking up to commercial accounts who half the time are ripping you off on false refunds and bogus defect exchanges on parts,but won't give a decent raise to someone who is dedicated to working for them. AND YEAH,The 1-800 number is mainly used by people who are former employees or people who work in retail and JUST WANT TO CAUSE TROUBLE and GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING! The typical "ENTITLED" so called Customer !

Working with coworkers and customers you gain good automotive experience.

Current Employee - Sales Counter in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Counter in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You gain good automotive experience. Steady busy environment.

Cons

Low pay for the amount of work done on a day to day basis. Sales per hour need to meet specific numbers at which many times we the employee don't have control on what the customer buys. At the end of the day you can try to sell the whole store but if the customer does not want to buy it, we cant make them. We should not be written up for falling below our SPH goals.

Appreciate your employees hard work more.

A great place to work if you don't mind long hours, low pay, and an uncaring "support" system.

Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- A good place to work if you have a passion for all things automotive and enjoy helping customers troubleshoot and solve problems
    - Good benefits
    - Promote from within

Cons

- As a GM, I frequently worked 60-70 hours a week and typically at least 6 days a week. This made it difficult to do anything but work. By breaking down my salary plus average bonus, I quickly realized my hourly assistant manager was making more per hour than I was.
    - Constantly changing procedures often lead to a disorganized store. Largely due to the lack of hours to properly train the staff, on those changes.
    - Inflexible schedule for the GM's. We were told what days we could and could not take off. On the days we were allowed to take off, it was not uncommon to have to go help at another store or perform an inventory.
    - Lack of support from middle and upper management.

Remember the roots of the company, "Our best part is our people". Treat your Team Members like human beings and realize that, for the most part, everybody is just trying to do the best job they can. Stop placing unreasonable demands for sales performance on leadership positions. Let the managers manage, and the sales team sell. Everything will fall in to place.

Large company that holds on to its core values.

Current Employee - Commercial Customer Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Commercial Customer Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits (401k matching, health ins, stock options, car), good managers, flexible schedule, great training and learning experience

Cons

Some mangers micromanage, it's a retail company so you expect stores are open on holidays and for long hours.

Advance Auto Parts Photos