Advance Auto Parts

Advance Auto Parts Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson

Darren R. Jackson

Pros:
  • "Can move up quickly and learn a lot about cars"
    in 11 reviews
  • "I have worked with some very good people, too bad the company doesn't recognize them"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees"
    in 49 reviews
  • "Most store managers have lost the ability to manage their stores due to new district manager"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

You learn a lot and the store level environment is pretty good.

Retail Parts Pro (Former Employee)
Miami, FL

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time for more than a year

ProsLearn a lot about cars. If you are a car person like myself, you can really help a lot of people. I moved up to a different position within a year.

Cons• Upper management (district and above) is completely clueless about what goes on in the store. In fact, clueless is an understatement.
• They are oblivious to how the stores actually run. There are OPERATIONAL problems within the stores and they seem to completely overlook them.
• The database system is a mess and it is very slow. The registers freeze often.
• Upper management wants to micro manage every aspect, of every store, at every hour of the day.
• Managers have little to no autonomy. Their ability to MANAGE is seriously undermined when the decisions they can make are limited.
• The pay is not that good either.

Advice to Senior Management• The analytics system is absolute garbage. Managers follow it blindly but they don't understand the fundamental flaws in it.
• Don't ignore customer feedback. (Huge problem with commercial customers).
• The "performance driven pay" does not really encourage team members to work harder or sell more. More pay = less productive/decreased returns. Autonomy = higher productivity/increased returns.
• Stop hiring people outside the company and move people already in the company UPWARDS, not OUTWARDS.
• Please do the company and shareholders a favor and get rid of CEO Darren Jackson. He obviously does not know how to run a company; just look at Best Buy. I don't think he even knows the difference between a hammer and a wrench,

Must Enjoy Very fast pace and be very customer friendly

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for less than a year

ProsMost customer are great, very fast pace no down time. The day flies by.

Consno feedback from upper management. no communication from district lead. you must be self motivated, because you won't hear a positive comment.

Advice to Senior ManagementInspect what you expect! The company website says they want to have a fun place to work. Not happening! Not even close! try doing some exit interviews.... You will find out that your turnover is high, its for a good reason.

cashier

Cashier (Former Employee)
North Augusta, SC

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time for more than a year

Prosfast paced day went buy quick always something to do

Consalways called into work for people calling in

Advice to Senior Managementcare more about the employees and customers than the procedures and way of doing business

Too much micromanaging

Mobile Parts Pro (Former Employee)
Sleepy Hollow, IL

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time for more than a year

ProsThe people I worked with are cool. Getting to drive around all day is nice too.

ConsThe manager was rude to customers at times. The manager talked out of his butt often. The customers can be a real pain. No real room to move up in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging so much.

good

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee)
Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

Prosexcellent customer service sales great company to work for

Conslack of workers poor management sometimes

Advice to Senior Managementlead

Advance Auto Parts

Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Starkville, MS

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat place to work, just as any job it does have pros and cons. The biggest pro is that if you have the knowledge you can get paid a fair salary, and they will work with students in college as I am a 50 year old college student.

ConsVariable hours, you may close one day and open the next.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job!

Horrible

RPP-Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou can learn a lot about vehicles.

ConsFemales get paid less, even managers amd no flexability.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy are women in general paid less? I came into this job with prior management experiance from two different jobs that I worked at the same time and was started out at $7.39 and then 6 momths later a male was hired with no prior job history and was started out at $8.00. Why doesnt the RPP get commercial bonuses like the CPPs do when I run commercial and retail every night from 4 to close? How come out of 5 key holders I am the only one who has to close? Why do the CPPs get every weekend off but i only get one off per month? At least let the RPP and CPP have the same chances at the bonuses and weekends, which isnt much to ask for considering that the CPP and drivers get to sit at a counter all day and not help with any of the store tasks.

Not bad, a bit frustrating at times, but could be a lot better.

General Manager (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNot an overly difficult job. Can be fun. Decent infrastructure, when it comes to data systems. Logistics and resupply are pretty good. Has a good vision and value system.

ConsCaught up in getting bigger. Automated sales counseling driven down from corporate. Aging review ideas. They are trying gimmicks for the employees to add value in the company, (i.e. a point system for excelling employees to use to purchase merchandise as a reward) instead of actually being wage competitive in their markets. Establishing minimum labor hours for stores and then not issuing the minimum in the scheduling program.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some labor hours back into the stores.

Poor company to work for

General Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUsed to be a good company years ago when I first started, and still could be if they would get rid of ignite

ConsAll they care about anymore is ignite, sph, premium products, and what it shows on their ignite reporting. They could care less about help the customer anymore. They trip over dollars to try and save pennies. They want their mobile pro to let customers just walk by them and not sell anything. As for upper management it might as we'll be non existent all they do is still at home(and play with momma and the dog) and do nothing but call you about something bad in ignite and never talk about what you did right even if it was they best day your store had ever had. They will write you up if you don't hit your sales goals regardless of the situation. They are running the parts guys out and replacing them with salespeople from best buy who know nothing about auto parts

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing the biggest is not always gonna make you the best. And you will never get there by following the lead of autozone and oreillys

Fired for ?

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAlways loved the people i worked with,Worked there over 15 years in logistics and had lots of freedom to be a individual

ConsUpper management tell lies all the time and are very dishonest,was terminated for something others had done and never was able to stand up for myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people who are senior mgmt should look into how upper mgmt are treating there employees.

Worked for Advance Auto Parts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advance Auto Parts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Advance Auto Parts CEO Darren R. Jackson. All 526 reviews posted anonymously by Advance Auto Parts employees.