Advance Auto Parts

Updated December 3, 2014
2.8

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson
Darren R. Jackson

Pros
  • If you know nothing about cars you can learn a lot (in 15 reviews)

• Team members working together to make a great environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees (in 69 reviews)

• Detached upper management who would rather use fear through sharklike district managers than encouragement (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Assistant manager, working for AAP for 3 years.

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

-Quick advancement for those who apply themselves, started as a salesperson fresh out of HS while going to college to work on a business degree. Within a few months, I was promoted to key holder and after roughly two years, went through the ranks and became assistant general manager.

-Decent pay- The pay is okay for the standard sales position and competitive if not better for the industry. The pay becomes good as one moves through the ranks.

-Always something different every day. Exciting job especially if you enjoy being around cars, motors in general, or find a fascination in solving problems.

-Bonuses are definitely an incentive for the qualified positions!

-One is able to get their hands dirty (replacing batteries, wipers, etc.) and have fun meeting new people while building relationships with customers, some of which become extremely loyal to you.

-Knowledge is power. Starting out I only knew the ground basics of vehicles and engines. Within a year I was keeping up with avid hot-rodders and mechanics. I definitely learned tons of information in this business which I will carry for a lifetime.

-Good management in the store, general manager always positively pushed me to be better along with other upper management. Strong backing and coaching from the DL.

-GM always worked with my schedule with school and allowed me plenty of time to study while maintaining a steady paycheck.

-Great people to work with. Served my time with many great people, some of which I see and talk to on a regular basis even after they left AAP.

-Good benefits for full-time employees (medical, dental, etc.)

-Employee stock purchase plan

-Employee discount! very nice when you need parts or accessories for your own ride.

-All in all a fun, fast paced job with many benefits.

Cons

-Pay should be better for all positions.

-Workload can be a little bit much for a person for one day (Cycle counts, Outs, Planograms especially, back-stock, callbacks, ad sets, installations)

-Understaffing, one person working the counter is not acceptable at any time of the day.

-Add ons, new sign up programs, and FIMs can be cumbersome to juggle all at once every transaction.

-Value your long term employees, don't focus so much on the performance but on the individual's worth, let the GM be the judge of this.

-Let the GM's be exactly what their job positions should be, Let raises and judgment be in their hands. GM's see work ethic and the true spirit of the employee instead of solely just sales and therefore should be in charge of a team member's future with the company and what raise they should receive.

-Provide more hours for customer service! More members on the floor can be the difference between excellent service and subpar performance.

-Study each individual store and take comments from the team where they need coverage during the day and what would help the store excel.

-Appreciate your employees, many are car guys who know a wealth of information that can help the customer through and through.

Good company, bad pay scale.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Got to work in an automotive environment.

Cons

Employees that didn't care, upper management that set unrealistic goals.

Go back to the basics and treat your employees better, they will work for you.....

learn to be independent with your vehicle

Former Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

yearly raises, opportunities to move up, gain automotive experience

Cons

meeting quota with means of micromanaging

teach your store managers that women will ultimately draw more customers than men, and treat them better too. Like look out for them with the small stuff!

Meh

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

20% disc is nice
    thats about it

Cons

0 chance for advancement, even though I've been thru all the classes and lead my team to better results than a store right down the road does. Get the CCC out of India!!!!!!!!!!!! Outdated IT.

Why do you keep nonperforming GM's around? Is there some edict where you will not give young guys a chance to run a store? Why do you make it so hard to get rid of low performing TM's and GM's?

Advance Auto Parts Photos