Advance Auto Parts

Updated October 19, 2014
2.8

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson
Darren R. Jackson

Pros
  • Can move up quickly and learn a lot about cars (in 13 reviews)

• In my experience they took very good care of good people (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees (in 63 reviews)

• Detached upper management who would rather use fear through sharklike district managers than encouragement (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast-paced, but understaffed often

Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Full-time, full benefits after 90 days, most employees are down-to-earth and hard-working.

Cons

High turnover, store is understaffed most of the time. Management is more concerned about running lean on hours than they are about providing the best customer service possible.

If "Service is our best part", staff the stores with more than a skeleton crew so we can actually show the customers that service is REALLY our best part.

AAP is a good place to work if you can live with the low wages.

Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro
    Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My supervisor and those higher on the ladder have demonstrated interest in me, my training, and my advancement. Scheduling has been flexible. The company-supplied training is helpful.

Cons

The wages are extremely low. I work full-time, but I qualify for medicaid and SNAP. I work hard for my bonuses, but they are not big enough to make a difference.

Make profit sharing or bonuses available to all hourly employees who have been with the company at least three months. As things stand, non-management employees are expected to work to get their supervisors bonuses.

I would make bonuses more dependent on team results than they are now. You call us team members, but provide incentives to work against each other if a good sale is possible.

Integrate the store-based and Internet-based systems. You make me look bad a couple of times per week with the current system. You also use the Internet to remove potential bonus money from my hands and then expect me to to serve Internet customers just as well as retail floor customers.

Pay a living wage. If you really want service to be our best part, compensate the people who provide it adequately.

You have work to do to demonstrate that the company's values (serve, inspire, grow) are consistent with the emphasis on developing a sales culture. Let's develop a service culture.

Get your eyes off AutoZone. Everyone knows that they are dirtball company. Do not compare to them.

Improve the technology. Our computer system is slow and inflexible. Give us keyword search for everything on the retail floor in the EPC. As it stands, I have to go to the AAP website to keyword search retail items. Our internet connection is slow, and it is an awkward multistage process to find an item and determine if it is in our store or not. Use Summit Racing's website as a benchmark, and then try to better it.

If you want us to sell performance parts (Edelbrock, Holley, Mr. Gasket, etc.) give us technological tools to do so (see my previous comment about Summit).

The AST training is good, but if you really want to sell to the hardcore car guy/gal as you say, then we need to step it up even more. At least RPP's, CPP's, AGM's, and GM's need more hands-on training and experience. Perhaps partner with a local community college to provide shop-based experiences.

Lengthen battery warranties. A lot of people use battery warranty as their key indicator of quality.

Doesn't care about your family life

Former Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Carrollton, KY
    Former Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Carrollton, KY

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Descent co-workers. Good discount. ..............................

Cons

Didn't care about my family issues enough to cut me a break on attendance b.s. Wife broke had to stay home full-time to care for her and baby. Company denied my FMLA request because I was 8 days short of one year anniversary. Then decided to severe ties of employment. What a crock of bull.

Learn to have a heart. Its not just all sales figures and profits. And give off holidays for gods sake your employees have families too you greedy basterds.

Overall good

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

Discount on parts. Team members working together to make a great environment.

Cons

Pay is not to scale for work. It retail sales, not the greatest field.

Overall positive

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Endwell, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Endwell, NY

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-flexible schedule
    -competitive pay
    -team atmosphere
    -friendly management

Cons

-typical retail job
    -lengthy time to advance

Learning experience

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, strong financial company. Was easy to change schedule to accommodate family issues. Good communication with district manager. Able to interact with customers

Cons

Bonus plan was not achievable in most cases. Procedures for pay increases was not always fair. All employee's pay raise was tied to overall performance of the stores.

Can be a good place to work

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Abilene, TX

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

With the right manager it can be a fun place to work

Cons

I don't feel that corporate cares about the store workers

If you're are going to get rid of a position, a little notice would be nice

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities for advancement and growth. The company tries to improve by implementing new processes that typically can make it easier to manage. In my experience they took very good care of good people.

Cons

Payroll. Under-staffing. You can not take proper care of customers with one or two people in the store..

The bonus program used to be great. The biggest thing to me is correctly staffing a store. Most of the time it was unrealistic completely.

Ehh..

Former Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Cheektowaga, NY
    Former Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Cheektowaga, NY

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a commercial team member and driver your able to get out of the store. Work well with students school schedules.

Cons

Computer training is annoying and redundant. Pay rates are low for both regular and management. Certain management members are airheads.

Figure out what your doing before trying to train others. Be upfront with your employees.

More for Less

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like that Advance is always growing. They have a healthy stock trend and seem to be heading in the right direction from a macro perspective.

Cons

Advance wants more from you as an employee. They want a lot more and, since I first started, they have placed unreasonable salary caps on important positions. On paper the jobs seem only to justify the pay provided. In reality, there is not enough return on my invested time and energy. Having upward mobility is an incentive but should never be calculated as compensation.

Rediscover how stressful it is to work in a struggling store. Flagship stores are not indicators of the day-to-day work environment that most employees put up with.

Advance Auto Parts Photos