Advance Auto Parts

Updated December 16, 2014
2.8

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson
Darren R. Jackson

Pros
  • If you know nothing about cars you can learn a lot (in 15 reviews)

• Team members working together to make a great environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees (in 69 reviews)

• Detached upper management who would rather use fear through sharklike district managers than encouragement (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

It's okay..

Former Employee - Retail Manager
    Former Employee - Retail Manager

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Advancement Opportunities (Store Level)
    Training
    ASE Testing Reimbursement
    Bonus Plan (13 Opportunities a year for bonus.. VERY NICE!)
    Pretty Easy, Basic Job
    Customer Interaction

Cons

Upper Level Micro-management
    New Payscale
    New "CDL" Labor Management System
    "Non-Negotiable" Mentality
    Labor Hours
    Benefit Packages

Go back to the old ways of doing business.. When the GM could run their store without so much interference from corporate. By the end of my tenure, I felt like I was a glorified key holder. Couldn't set hours in my own store, just assigned pre-determined shifts to a TM. I used to run a high volume store successfully 7 days a week with 350 hours a week. They cut me down to 220.. Absolutely killed our quality of customer service and turned me into a slave. Have faith in your Managers, or don't hire them in the first place. Let us do our jobs. Advance was once the best job I ever had. Someone decided to change that and turn us into AutoZone. Thanks a lot.

Get ready to "do more with less"

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open minded about working from home. Good work life balance.

Cons

They do not fix the problems they run into. They sweep them under the rug and continue on making the same mistakes. Point it out too often and they'll show you the door (not the problem you pointed out)

Instead of seeing how much your people can do with one hand tied behind their back, give them what they need to succeed and watch them soar. A little understanding goes a long way toward loyalty, and loyalty equals productivity.

Decent company

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

If you are willing to work they are willing to promote!

Cons

Dealing with the public is a drag anywhere

Great part time job.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New Baltimore, MI
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New Baltimore, MI

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helpful co-workers, a decent discount on parts, great starting place for anyone who is looking to expand their knowledge in retail and the automotive industry.

Cons

Hours, the only real concern I have is that you don't get nearly enough college I would recommend this job to someone who is looking for a part time job while they are attending college.

Please allow retail sales associates to become full time I feel this would greatly improve the enthusiasm for employees knowing they can get benefits from their job. Freshen up the stores, we have banners and counters that are at least 10 years old and are beginning to make our store look outdated and old.

Was a great work environment and we worked together great as a team

Former Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Fort Valley, GA
    Former Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Fort Valley, GA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone including the store manager worked together as a team and we also had alot of fun together .

Cons

Not enough work hour's .

None..was great management.

A stepping stone in life.

Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The main pro and only reason why I remained with the company is that it allows for flexibility around other things that I'm currently pursuing even though I'm full time.

Cons

Ever since the implementation of the CDL, the stores have been severely understaffed which puts more pressure on the workers. Work environments are always stressful dealing with people who don't want to be in the store the first place. Makes for a very difficult place to enjoy being at.

Its ok

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

Not a whole lot to do. check batteries, install windshield wipers, clean, and assist customers is about all you do and once a week put up the parts that come in.

Cons

Not a whole lot of hours. you can get wrote up for not answering the phone right and three strikes your out, yes you can get fired for not asking the customer one simple detail.

It would be nice to see some incentives for all employees. I do not feel as though I can move up in this company.

In the beginning was great

I worked at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

The employees and customers were special

Cons

Management to a turn for the worst in the end discrimination isn't the answer

I have gained an abundance of knowledge about automotive parts and got to meet alot of different people.

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The perks of working in this particular kind of retail environment is that you get to learn alot about vehicles than the average person and reasonable pay.

Cons

The fluctuating and sometimes insufficeint hours are sometimes inconvenient.

Assistant manager, working for AAP for 3 years.

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

-Quick advancement for those who apply themselves, started as a salesperson fresh out of HS while going to college to work on a business degree. Within a few months, I was promoted to key holder and after roughly two years, went through the ranks and became assistant general manager.

-Decent pay- The pay is okay for the standard sales position and competitive if not better for the industry. The pay becomes good as one moves through the ranks.

-Always something different every day. Exciting job especially if you enjoy being around cars, motors in general, or find a fascination in solving problems.

-Bonuses are definitely an incentive for the qualified positions!

-One is able to get their hands dirty (replacing batteries, wipers, etc.) and have fun meeting new people while building relationships with customers, some of which become extremely loyal to you.

-Knowledge is power. Starting out I only knew the ground basics of vehicles and engines. Within a year I was keeping up with avid hot-rodders and mechanics. I definitely learned tons of information in this business which I will carry for a lifetime.

-Good management in the store, general manager always positively pushed me to be better along with other upper management. Strong backing and coaching from the DL.

-GM always worked with my schedule with school and allowed me plenty of time to study while maintaining a steady paycheck.

-Great people to work with. Served my time with many great people, some of which I see and talk to on a regular basis even after they left AAP.

-Good benefits for full-time employees (medical, dental, etc.)

-Employee stock purchase plan

-Employee discount! very nice when you need parts or accessories for your own ride.

-All in all a fun, fast paced job with many benefits.

Cons

-Pay should be better for all positions.

-Workload can be a little bit much for a person for one day (Cycle counts, Outs, Planograms especially, back-stock, callbacks, ad sets, installations)

-Understaffing, one person working the counter is not acceptable at any time of the day.

-Add ons, new sign up programs, and FIMs can be cumbersome to juggle all at once every transaction.

-Value your long term employees, don't focus so much on the performance but on the individual's worth, let the GM be the judge of this.

-Let the GM's be exactly what their job positions should be, Let raises and judgment be in their hands. GM's see work ethic and the true spirit of the employee instead of solely just sales and therefore should be in charge of a team member's future with the company and what raise they should receive.

-Provide more hours for customer service! More members on the floor can be the difference between excellent service and subpar performance.

-Study each individual store and take comments from the team where they need coverage during the day and what would help the store excel.

-Appreciate your employees, many are car guys who know a wealth of information that can help the customer through and through.

Advance Auto Parts Photos