Advance Auto Parts

Updated January 31, 2015
2.9

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson
Darren R. Jackson

Pros
  • If you know nothing about cars you can learn a lot (in 15 reviews)

• Team members working together to make a great environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees (in 69 reviews)

• Detached upper management who would rather use fear through sharklike district managers than encouragement (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Great part time job

Former Employee - Counter Clerk
    Former Employee - Counter Clerk

I worked at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

Stays busy. Lots of interesting customers

Cons

Part time, would like full time

Lots of energy and enthusiasm

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

Great company and great team. Making the right investments in the company to truly achieve success. The mission to Be The Best is definitely on its way!

Cons

Need more diversity of experience from other industries and market segments. Need to cross pollenate from other parts of the organization as well.

Your leadership is spot on. Use caution in assuming that the rate of growth will continue. Yes, we'll continue to grow, but let's examine more closely how/where we grow.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Mobile Parts Pro
    Current Employee - Mobile Parts Pro

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great management! Helps create a work-life balance that works for you. Works with your schedule. Everyone gets along great! Team really works together for the success of the company.

Cons

Some employees are less empowered to make decisions needed to fulfill customer needs. Repetitive work.

General Manager

Former Employee - Store General Manager in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Store General Manager in Lansing, MI

I worked at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

Slow during the holidays, salary managers only asked to work 50 hrs per week. Good paid time off, company values family

Cons

No set training program for employees looking to move up in company

They may have it now but if not, a structure curriculum for new team members and employees looking to grow in the company.

Great Job

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

Pay is good.Leadership is great,Great sick and VAC time.

Cons

Slow on getting to move up the chain.

Great Place to work hard and earn a career

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

AAP is constantly searching for new leadership. If you want to work hard, service your customers better than your competitors, and transition from "job" to "Career". AAP is the place!

Cons

AAP is competitive... If your looking for a job that will promote from tenure, this might not be the place for you. With that said, if your looking for a career opportunity that will reward those that take initiative, AAP is for you!

Time to spend some money on technology

Quit Complaining!

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Since I've always loved working on cars, I decided to make selling auto parts my new career and working at Advance has allowed me to strengthen my automotive skills & know-how tremendously.

Cons

The worst part about working here is having to listen to all the cry babies whine & complain about what they think they deserve, while at the same time those making the most noise are some of the worst performers!

Since I'm currently an assistant manager and soon becoming a GM, my past & current advice is let's clean house of all the slow moving, loud whining and non-working ones a LOT faster than we have in the past, then the ones left are those that truly want to be here and it'll be better for everybody.

Was a great work environment and we worked together great as a team

Former Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Fort Valley, GA
    Former Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Fort Valley, GA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone including the store manager worked together as a team and we also had alot of fun together .

Cons

Not enough work hour's .

None..was great management.

Assistant manager, working for AAP for 3 years.

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

-Quick advancement for those who apply themselves, started as a salesperson fresh out of HS while going to college to work on a business degree. Within a few months, I was promoted to key holder and after roughly two years, went through the ranks and became assistant general manager.

-Decent pay- The pay is okay for the standard sales position and competitive if not better for the industry. The pay becomes good as one moves through the ranks.

-Always something different every day. Exciting job especially if you enjoy being around cars, motors in general, or find a fascination in solving problems.

-Bonuses are definitely an incentive for the qualified positions!

-One is able to get their hands dirty (replacing batteries, wipers, etc.) and have fun meeting new people while building relationships with customers, some of which become extremely loyal to you.

-Knowledge is power. Starting out I only knew the ground basics of vehicles and engines. Within a year I was keeping up with avid hot-rodders and mechanics. I definitely learned tons of information in this business which I will carry for a lifetime.

-Good management in the store, general manager always positively pushed me to be better along with other upper management. Strong backing and coaching from the DL.

-GM always worked with my schedule with school and allowed me plenty of time to study while maintaining a steady paycheck.

-Great people to work with. Served my time with many great people, some of which I see and talk to on a regular basis even after they left AAP.

-Good benefits for full-time employees (medical, dental, etc.)

-Employee stock purchase plan

-Employee discount! very nice when you need parts or accessories for your own ride.

-All in all a fun, fast paced job with many benefits.

Cons

-Pay should be better for all positions.

-Workload can be a little bit much for a person for one day (Cycle counts, Outs, Planograms especially, back-stock, callbacks, ad sets, installations)

-Understaffing, one person working the counter is not acceptable at any time of the day.

-Add ons, new sign up programs, and FIMs can be cumbersome to juggle all at once every transaction.

-Value your long term employees, don't focus so much on the performance but on the individual's worth, let the GM be the judge of this.

-Let the GM's be exactly what their job positions should be, Let raises and judgment be in their hands. GM's see work ethic and the true spirit of the employee instead of solely just sales and therefore should be in charge of a team member's future with the company and what raise they should receive.

-Provide more hours for customer service! More members on the floor can be the difference between excellent service and subpar performance.

-Study each individual store and take comments from the team where they need coverage during the day and what would help the store excel.

-Appreciate your employees, many are car guys who know a wealth of information that can help the customer through and through.

Good place to advance with

Former Employee - Manager On Duty in Rocky Mount, NC
    Former Employee - Manager On Duty in Rocky Mount, NC

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work schedule based on your needs.
    Open communication.
    Great place to advance.

Cons

The hours are not consistent sometimes.

Advance Auto Parts Photos