Advance Auto Parts Reviews

851 reviews filtered by
2.9
Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson
Darren R. Jackson

Pros
  • If you know nothing about cars you can learn a lot (in 15 reviews)

• Team members working together to make a great environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees (in 69 reviews)

• Detached upper management who would rather use fear through sharklike district managers than encouragement (in 28 reviews)

Great Job turning a good company into walmart

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Advance has done a great job at diversifying its parts selection through the purchase of other brands. They actually do a great job at training and do offer a pretty comprehensive parts training package. The company does a good job at measuring metrics so as a store manager you always know exactly where you stand.

Cons

Over the past 3 years my store has been turned into walmart due to the number of labor hours that have been removed. Without giving exact numbers I would say the illustrious "CDL" labor model gave me a 20% haircut in hours. Most stores have been reduced to the "minimum staffing" requirements as dictated by this scheduling model. I ran a hub store with over 90,000 parts and many days would work alone up front until after 10 in the morning. Somehow you are expected to do cycle counts, planograms, go in the lot and change batteries, etc. all along only having yourself or one other person available. Breaks are a thing of the past there are rarely enough people around to make that happen. I love the auto parts industry and it really sickens me what has been done to these stores.

Stop hiring a bunch of district managers from other industries!!!! Auto parts retail is an animal all to itself and all the people you hire that don't know an alternator from a starter are ruining your business! You all need to regain your focus on service and stop buying companies to try and make yourself better. Its great you bought, API, WorldPac, and Carquest but if there is nobody there to service the customer properly than what good does it do. Due to you raping of hours I had stretches of 3 months or more that I could't actually take a real break. I am sure you corporate cats with your fancy shoes and ties never miss a meal. I'm no sissy and I am not whining; before my auto parts life I was a restaurant GM for 16 years so I am no stranger to long hours and hard work. I left for Orielly Auto and I promise you they do it better and are cleaning your clock from the inside out. I know I walk into work everyday trying to put my local advance out of business.

Too Much Chaos...

Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great career for Auto enthusiast.

Cons

Constantly Changing Policies and Procedures.
    High Turnover of Employees.
    Managers under compensated.
    Stores Have Quotas but Do Not Get Credit for EVERY Sell
    District Managers allowed to have own Agenda
    HR is not there for the employees

Complete change needs to come from the CEO down. The style of Upper Management in place now is a "Machete" style of management.

3. The Mcdonalds of the auto parts world

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount
    bathroom available
    discount programs
    benefits for full time
    will hire almost anyone no experience needed ��
    will promote anyone as long as you get on your knees alot ��

Cons

- Upper management are clueless
    - The CEO is only looking to raise stock price no matter the cost
    - Stress
    - You will do the job of 2 or more people and get paid 8-15hr
    - Company has a revolving door in employees
    - Computers go down very frequently = stress
    - They bought carquest and are destroying it

You guys dont care about employees only hire yes men/girls, good luck. You only want the stock price to go up like Autozones, who knows if you will.

5. this company doesn't give a crap about employee turnover is off the charts/ management doesn't keep their promises.

Former Employee - Diy Part Counter/Driver in Sand Springs, OK
    Former Employee - Diy Part Counter/Driver in Sand Springs, OK

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time (less than a year)

Pros

was able to get better discount on parts sometimes. discontinued parts below cost sometimes. hour were flexible kinda.

Cons

(low wages) washing toilets/ buffing the floors cleaning the glass, house work, get a cleaning crew you cheap????
     turnover is off the charts/ management doesn't keep their promises. policies for unruly customers is insulting to employees

hier contract cleaning crews for your stores.better pay for better employee maybe someone would stay long. i would of stayed employed there if there was a chance for advancement in management position like i was promised.
    when customer threaten employee with bodily harm and management allows said customer back in the store. why would i work for that company, company policies are a joke

Used To Be A Decent Company, But That's Long Gone.

Former Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Chickamauga, GA
    Former Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Chickamauga, GA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

If you're full time, you'll get your hours, benefits, a chance to make a little bit of bonus money. There's good people at store level, and great people coming in as customers for you to meet and possibly form a business relationship with.

Cons

The pay scales are awful for what is expected and demanded of you. Constant standing is hard on the feet, customers think you're a mechanic and want their car fixed for free. Micromanagement is their game, better get in line or get thrown out the door. The ignite program causes nothing but problems, sales goals are supposed to be proportionate to what you are paid by the hour, but goals continue to climb, wages do not. Raises are determined by the store performance as a whole, not by your personal performance, and they are nominal at best. The constant training videos you watch do not help you at all. The jobs are honestly, thankless. The company is driven by greed more than ever before. Petty things become big issues when there's no reason for it. The call center is outsourced to India, American jobs lost when this happened. They rarely give back to the communities they are in. The employee discount is 20% off retail, which with all the online promotions ran, retail customers can get better pricing than a team member. Team members are not allowed to purchase online. The leadership in the company from division leader on up the chain is awful. Seniority does not exist. You're not a person to them, literally just a 6 digit number.

Relax a little, compensate the employees fairly, make it less of "What more can you do for Advance?," and more of "What can Advance do for you?" Do not pick and choose the human resources issues you wish to handle, handle them all on the same playing field. Lighten up on the team members, after all, most of them can make more money with less stress at a fast food place. Relax the dress code policy, after all the team members look like fast food workers. Live the values of: Inspire, Serve, Grow, instead of: Degrade, Depress, Threaten. Make team members regret getting terminated instead of feeling like a weight was lifted off their shoulders. Most importantly, treat the stores as an automotive business instead of a retail establishment. And lastly, stop buying product from the lowest bidder in China, sure it makes more profit but it's unfair to the customer installing inferior parts on something they rely on each and every day.

really changed in the last 2 year's

Current Employee - Delivery Driver
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

not sure . it really used to be a good place to work really enjoyed it

Cons

seem's they want you available fifty hours a week but want allow you but about thirty hours a week

go back to the basic's get the customer happy and sell auto part's and stop with all the sph causeing team meamber's cutting each other's throats to get the sell and some gm's worry more about what color of sock's team members have on than trying to work on lowering our prices compared to competition we are higher than most now on our price's

Disappointed

Former Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Midwest City, OK
    Former Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Midwest City, OK

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Advance for 3 years and loved it, I thought I'd done a pretty good job as well. Loved working with my team. Pay was mediocre at best but wonderful atmosphere.

Cons

You will never get promoted Ever. Unless you kiss the DL behind. CPP is the black hole position of any of their stores.

Stop lying to good employees and you might keep a few more for a longer period of time. The harassment in the stores is also pretty crazy. I mean I had a phone thrown at me for Petes sake. Be glad I didn't sue, I should have. All I ever wanted was to do a good job for the company. Y'all screwed me out of my job. Now I work for a great company that appreciates my hard work and ethics and desire to be the best at what I do.

9. Mobile pro part time

Former Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Hiram, GA
    Former Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Hiram, GA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Almost none low pay constantly shifting schedule so that a second job is not possible when they cut hours back

Cons

Constant micromanagement low pay 27 cent raise in four years . No recognition for job well done. Constantly threatening to fire everyone.

Part timers have no incentive to reach sales goals. Stop threatening to fire employees as a means of getting compliance on petty rules

10. untrustworth

Former Employee - Driver Sales Stock in West Grafton, WV
    Former Employee - Driver Sales Stock in West Grafton, WV

I worked at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

used the honesty pays program that ensures that the company is not being robed by employees and pays you 2% of protental loss to the company well I reveled the protental loss of millions and got lied too and don't trust advance auto I will be posting all details tomarrow

Cons

law suit losing millions by speed perks

higher machnices

11. Poor pay, monotonous work, expect too much from SA

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job is straightforward, no real surprises. Store transfer to almost any state.

Cons

Terrible pay. Expect long hours when someone calls out. Experienced part timers expected to train new workers, serve customers, control inventory, and work insane hours. Most stores close at 10pm. No opportunity for promotion. They throw out things labeled defective instead of allowing workers to enjoy them. My GM is against letting us shop on our day off in the store we work at. Schedule is unflexibe so expect threat of reprimand if you have to miss out on emergency. Requires doctors letter if called out sick, even if uninsured.

Cut store hours, every store is empty after 8pm. Promote positive moral, terrible pay for labor intensive work is a sure way to deter prospective employees.

Advance Auto Parts Photos