Advance Auto Parts

Updated October 24, 2014
2.8

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson
Darren R. Jackson

Pros
  • Can move up quickly and learn a lot about cars (in 13 reviews)

• In my experience they took very good care of good people (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees (in 64 reviews)

• Detached upper management who would rather use fear through sharklike district managers than encouragement (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

You won't get rich here.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chardon, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chardon, OH

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun coworkers and meet new people.

Cons

Pay is OK if you live at home and don't pay rent. The harest workers get treated like crap as other employees can sit around and do nothing and nothing said to them. This is a part time job. Management only cares about numbers and not the employees making the numbers. Raises are promised but never received. Bounuses never happen as corporate makes unattainable goals. 20% off of parts is nothing when you see how much commercial clients get off some get parts at or below cost.

Pay the workers filling your pocket more.

Most boring and depressing job I ever had.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Weekends Off, two 15 min breaks and you get lunch break. Holidays off, 2 weeks paid vacation after 60 days.

Cons

To many cliques in the office, No advancement unless a manager goes to jail(which has happen here, sorry Randy) or quits but usually current management promotes or hire friends to be managers, never get a wage review so no pay increase, you feel like an E-Slave all day while managers walk around the office and have fun all day. Very secretive higher ups so you have no real feedback to tell shops while you call them. Have those typical people in office that act like middle schooler because deep down this is the best job they will ever get so they cope with acting like kids all day. TYPICAL CALL CENTER JOB. This job would be good for 18-22 year olds just to get experience in corp America. I am here because I can't find a better job in Vegas.

Have yearly wage reviews with your employees, keep everyone on the same page, act like you care more by doing weekly spiffs to keep employees motivated. Reward good employees instead of changing structures for getting a bonus. You shouldn't have to make 2 hours of talk time for a bonus when were a mainly outbound Call/Slave Center. Instead of only giving surveys to your employees do it for your inexperienced managers that sit at a desk and walk around all day. God I can not wait to find a better job and watch the turnover here go crazy.

Don't even take the job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun staff to work with.

Cons

You will be given barely any hours , most likely 10 hours a week......

They need to give employees decent hours and decent pay...

Car part delivery person and warehouse. And counter person .Was not very rewarding i was lowest paid employee there and i inquired to other past employees and newly hired.they made $9.00
    To $10 an hour i made $7.24 and got a $.50 raise after 1 year. I was exspected to to do same amont of work as those working there and those employees hired after me making way more than me. I was always asked to work over or fill in for those who wanted days off. I agreed to this to show i was a very reliable employee, i gave a 2 week notice before leaving I was disrespected against by younger people who was in Management Incharge they had no patience with older employees . And when i injured myself on the premises they didnt pay dr visit through workmans comp.i had to fight and do all the work to prove i had injured myself after leaving employment. They didnt pay any of the bills. I gave them all the reciepts and document required by workmans comp to turn in which they didnt. . They never turned it in. I was very ill after leaving advanced auto parts . When employeed there. They never documented or turned in the documents to workmans comp. They just didnt care about me ,even after me leaving their employments i was threatened by the health providers who treated me that if i didnt get the documents to them i would be held responsible. To pay all bills out of pocket. I was treated horrible. Non of these would. Want. To. Be. Treated. Like this. I also was accused from a fellow empoyee of something i didnt do i went to management and told them, i was told dont exspect an apology. So after this happned this is the straw that broke camels back and gave 2 week notice after 1 year employment ,and i was treated even worse by management.

I worked at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

I didnt like thoses in charge. They treated me with disrepect. And being gay made it very uncomfortable and many times rude defaming remarks were made behind my back. Or with in ear shot so i could hear it, defaming comments It got so bad i chose to leave because how i was treated. The stress leavel. Was horrible. Actually made me ill from stress.there are No pros.
       In beginning i loved my job , i feel discrimination had been done to me. Being a gay man among younger and those same age to and older made fun of me. I should have sued but be hard to prove if no one would back me up. I felt so depressed. After leaving felt defeated.

Cons

I already made comment in previous comment. Windows

Be respectful of their elder employees and treat those who are different with common courtesy..it could be as well as put themselves in anothers shoes and think how it feels to be different.cause this could be a loved one or child of theirs. This was a form of bullying. They didnt care about me at all. It was all about them. I had high hope to excel. In this.

Not a company for women at any level of management or minorities.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salaries in general however, men get higher salaries, saw this first hand and frequently. Quick promotions for men, Training opportunities, diverse workforce. No pension program. No profit sharing for non-management employees.

Cons

Cheap medical benefits offered, no tuition reimbursement programs, little in the form of time-off, if you are new in a salary position you only get 2 weeks vacation until you reach 5 years with the company.

Senior level management should support policies to promote equal pay to women and promotion opportunties. Establish programs to cultivate inclusion for all minorities and support diversity training.

Underutilized and underpaid.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most customers are very nice people and enhanced the job. Some not so much, but that is retail.

Cons

Executive management, Mid level management, Store management. No focus on business, employee or customer. Only focus on shareholder return.

Take your smoke and mirror money and run. Pay attention to the core business of supplying a quality product at a reasonable price.

ONE DM can't do THIS much damage without his superiors giving implicit approval.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a low paying, part time employment, while attending school, you MAY be okay here.

Cons

The current division leader was hired from outside the company approximately two years ago. In the last 1 1/2 years more than 50% of his store (general) managers, assistant managers, commercial parts pros and many of the long term retail parts pros have left the company for NO other reason than his pitiful excuse as a division "boss". He is mean spirited, never has anything positive to say, when in the store has been heard to say "I'm not here to help customers" and generally has never said anything but negative things to anyone. This simply can't be gone unseen by his boss(es) and yet he remains in his position. That tells me that their intention is to push as many long-term team members away, for whatever purpose suits their business model.
    Advance, since the expansion of business touts "We are now the biggest retail in the auto parts business."
    No pay raises in the store I just left for the last three years.

Being the "biggest" doesn't, de facto, make one the "best".
    The Titanic was once the biggest and "unsinkable".
    Stop mico-managing, empower the front line store personnel, quit driving team members with experience away. Spend the money to set up an "automated store" where customers come in and order their parts from touch screens and a "parts puller" completes the transaction. That seems the ultimate goal. Or perhaps they can train a monkey wearing a shock collar and not even have to pay minimum wage.

Working for the company was not a good experience, my co-worker where great but the hours and upper management sucked.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You learn interesting thing about automobiles, how to fix and maintain them, and my meet some interesting customers.

Cons

The upper management has no idea or clue about there workers struggles nor do I think they care. They say you will move up quick, but I have not see it with women or minorities.

Listen to your workers concerns, and at very least communicate with them.

Commercial Sales Mgmt

Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Marshalltown, IA
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Marshalltown, IA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

company paid benefits and job security

Cons

High Turnover, Weak Upper Management, especially at the State Sales Mgmt level. MIcro-managed and Ignorant Bosses! Chinese made auto parts with no reliability! Totally Ignorant & Overweight, disgusting State Sales Managers!

Go back to school and learn how to run the auto parts business in an organized, sensible manner. Stop relying on computerized programs to do your thinking and stop being ignorant of your most valued employees! Grow a Pair!

A 6 year nightmare.

Former Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Gadsden, AL
    Former Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Gadsden, AL

I worked at Advance Auto Parts (more than 5 years)

Pros

A few of the people were really nice to work with.

Cons

The management was awful, in 6 yrs I had 5 different GM's. They all lie and use faithful and loyal employees, the employees whom did the least work and called in constantly were treated irreplaceable while the ones doing their jobs were left to feel unimportant. The worst company I have ever worked for.

Learn to hire leaders, not followers for your GM's.

Advance Auto Parts Photos