Advance Auto Parts Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.8

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson
Darren R. Jackson

Pros
  • Can move up quickly and learn a lot about cars (in 13 reviews)

• I have worked with some very good people, too bad the company doesn't recognize them (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees (in 57 reviews)

• Detached upper management who would rather use fear through sharklike district managers than encouragement (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Great career/advancement opportunities.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent growth opportunities. Promotes within. Team oriented. Great new training program, allows you to learn new skills in sales and automotive. High quality benefits package (20% Discount, Payroll deduction purchasing programs, Insurance [full time], etc). Fortune 500 company.
    I started as a part time employee with minimal automotive experience, several years customer service experience, and saw a full time promotion with pay increase in 3-4 months, promotion to assistant manager in about 15 months, and to general manager in another year.

Cons

Most hires start part time around $8.00-8.50/hr. There's frequent shifts in direction, often not disruptive, but sometimes tedious to train/enforce as management.

The upper level teams are investing a lot of effort into molding the best auto parts retail and service environment possible. The things I found flawed as a new hire years ago are actively being corrected so at this moment I have no critiques to make.

Its Actually Pretty Good Job, Hard to get used too but better than Working in the Fields lol

Former Employee - Sales Person  in  Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Person in Waukegan, IL

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ok Staff, Pay Better than Average, learn Alot and you also have a nice steady team that supports you and keeps your mind busy.

Cons

Hours Arent Enough, too much staff, and sometimes unorganized depending on your location, Manager, and Rules -.- . Tell you to one thing and another is annoying.

Take More Responsibility .

Okay Employer

Current Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder  in  Coventry, RI
    Current Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder in Coventry, RI

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours. Commercial parts pros are a good resource for employee development.

Cons

Salary is very low for expectations (ie., battery instillation). Sales goals are very unrealistic.

Employees relations needs some major improvements.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its a Job not a Career

Current Employee - Mobile Parts Pro  in  Paw Paw, MI
    Current Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Paw Paw, MI

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility to work around your schedule and complete other tasks in your life.

Cons

They want you to do it all. Stock, retail, drive, answer phones, each person fills many roles.

Employment at Advanced Auto

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked with some very nice people and flexible schedules.

Cons

Benefits and compensation are very poor. There is not a lot of room to grow if you are not interested in a district leaders role or above. Employees who were there for years were let go with no regard for their years of service and loyalty to the company.

You should treat all of your employees equally. During my tenure at Advanced Auto, I noticed quite a bit of favoritism. While some were held to a strict sales per hour standard, others had theirs adjusted to accommodate them.

A challenge/opportunity daily.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you work exceptionally hard and put yourself in the spotlight (for the right things) you may get an opportunity for advancement. That will be determined by others. Make the best of every day with your close knit team.

Cons

There are come good leaders in the ranks, but there are also some terrible leaders. How they got their position with no aftermarket experience baffles many. These leaders do the promoting and many have no clue.

Compensation would be key, the speech is "it's your store, own it". If it was my store, I would not live in fear of HR, theft-inventory loss, staffing with no hours, and the low salaries. There are good people out there, pay them and they will stay.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Director  in  Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of development opportunities, growing company, involved CEO

Cons

Similar to many other companies, you sometimes ask yourself, "Why is this person working here." It happens, and I avoided these people

Continue visibility

Great learning experience in the automotive retail industries

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - General Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn mechanics , pay for GM is ok , costumers , open door policy , benefits , bonus intensive program is good and well set up .

Cons

pay rate for PT or FT sales person and drivers is low , long shift for General Manager always over 50 hours a week , lots of tasking every week that makes hard to balance between driving store sales goals and completing all operations . You will not get an Assistant manager unless you lead a hub stores or if you almost double your goal every week , smallest business and companies than this one provide Assistant managers to help managers drive the business .

Great company but, needs provide your stores with a better set up on the positions to help your GM's , we are the front line of the business .

Much more inertia than momentum... it's going to be status quo for a long time.

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Consistent job expectations, hard to get fired... more likely to get a different position (lateral promotion) than fired

Cons

Poor communication from top-down, with very disparate business units all abiding by the same generic policies and practices, benefits are lacking, time off is terrible

understand business unit strengths and play to them rather than forcing all to more or less act the same

AAP was a great place to work for me until I found out how my boss really felt about his employees.

Current Employee - DC Systems Specialist II  in  Hazlehurst, MS
    Current Employee - DC Systems Specialist II in Hazlehurst, MS

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for less than a year

Pros

What I like about AAP is the way the company conducts business. They're a proven leader in their industry and continue to prosper as others fall.

Cons

Like all other big companies AAP is not in tune or can relate to the people that keep the business afloat, those people the countless men and women who work in their stores or warehouses.

Worked for Advance Auto Parts? Contribute to the Community!