Advance Auto Parts

Updated November 26, 2014
2.8

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson
Darren R. Jackson

Pros
  • If you know nothing about cars you can learn a lot (in 15 reviews)

• Team members working together to make a great environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees (in 69 reviews)

• Detached upper management who would rather use fear through sharklike district managers than encouragement (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company takes care of Employees that work hard and get the job done

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

They have made quite a few acquisitions since coming on board and with that there are several opportunities for promotion

Cons

Very fast paced environment you need to be able to keep up with the pace or you will get left behind

Assistant general manager

Current Employee - Store Management
    Current Employee - Store Management

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits but that's about it.

Cons

There is so much animosity between coworkers and everyone wants to play head games and act like a bunch of teenagers. The company is acquiring other companies at a record pace but forget to remember the ones who helped make it possible. I moved to a new house an have been trying for over a year to move to a store closer to home or at least get a raise to compensate for the further travel and tolls only to be laughed at. Upper management just dosent care anymore.

Start listening to the store level team members again. Make them feel part of the team so we aren't just here for a paycheck again. That's why I started here in 2008. Because I was wanted and felt like part of a family. Now it's just fading away.

Show Them The Money

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

Still able to hire your own people although rumors persist that there will be corporate interference soon. Plenty of hours if you want them as stores are chronically understaffed. Decent chance for internal promotion within store hierarchy IF you get a good GM who will help you....many will not as your promotion to another level or store will make a hack GM's job tougher. Paychecks clear. Company is rock solid financially at the moment. Customers are pretty cool. The store team is awesome. Every work day flies by as you typically have 12 hours of work to do in 8 hours time.

Cons

The Ignite program is a morale killer. The worst is tbe Sales Per Hour method of gauging how well a TM is functioning. My sister's cat could hit the TM sales target at most mid to high volume stores. TM's or cats at understaffed stores also have nothing to worry about since they are parked at the counter all day. But many of the best TM's the company has work at properly staffed or low volume stores and struggle to steer clear of HR writeups for poor sales. Store targets for 2014 were made in a drunk and disorderly fashion. At least 90% of the stores are underhoured which leaves 2-3 people on the clock all day and team members with a choice between helping customers, doing a mountain of tasks, skipping lunch, not doing a delivery, etc. The busier the store the more operations problems you'll see since most TM's have to stay focused on sales and could care less about operations. And getting promoted outside the store level is nearly impossible. For example, there are many GM's that would make fine DL's, but rarely does a GM get any help from above for that move.

I know the mission for 2014 was to get that two billion back that you gave CQ. That's fine but realize that TM's have not appreciated the many cutbacks and cost slashing methods that have put them in poor customer service spots, and at times in unsafe situations. Stress is high. GM's have it rough but DL's have become corporate slaves and can no longer support the stores properly, even working 80-90 hours a week. The good news is that many store teams have become close as everyone understands the situation and wants to help each other. But recently DL's have been griping about this too so I guess the company may soon need to decide whether they want AAP to be a destination or a burn and churn talent farm. With all of the CQ merger and consolidation moves ahead 2015 will be a very interesting year. This company could be great again. Get HR out of the store sales business, allow GM's to lead without corporate interference, and watch what happens.

Not the same company they used to be

Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Manassas, VA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people! I enjoyed the job responsibilities of being the CAM. Many of the people at the store and district level truly care about serving the customer.

Cons

Upper management has no clue. They have plenty of meetings to introduce what they believe are great ideas but are quick to change direction when there is no immediate ROI. Senior management is only interested in the P&L and not the employees or the customers. Many great sounding slogans but the reality is they are only interested in more sales while spending less payroll.

Not the company I bargained for

Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a steady job, pay is ok.. If you know nothing about cars you can learn a lot..

Cons

Stores are understaffed, upper management only cares about numbers and NOTHING ELSE. Lots of promises made and never kept.

Stop lying to the employees. Give them true facts and tell them.. THERE is no future here, its real basic.. You have a job and this is pretty much as far as you can go.. NO FUTURE.. Please stop telling new hires you can get anywhere you want to go, because its not going to happen.

Fast-paced, but understaffed often

Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Full-time, full benefits after 90 days, most employees are down-to-earth and hard-working.

Cons

High turnover, store is understaffed most of the time. Management is more concerned about running lean on hours than they are about providing the best customer service possible.

If "Service is our best part", staff the stores with more than a skeleton crew so we can actually show the customers that service is REALLY our best part.

Maximum Stress

Former Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you young and energetic with a passion for learning about cars, it's a good place to start.

Cons

Too much to do and not enough time or help to get it all done. Low pay.

Kiss my butt.

Underpaid at higher levels.

Former Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy schedule, easy work, some customers are worth the time.

Cons

The company as a whole doesn't seem to have any focus. Poor chance for growth due to outsourcing upper management. No trust in their stores.

Ask stores for feedback and pay management better. Promote the company and promote from within.

Horrible, no chance to advance.

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

Flexibility the with days off

Cons

Stressful and supervisors are lazy

Hire within the company not people that have no knowledge or experience

satisfied

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Chance for advancement
    Strong values and ethics
    Company cares for team members and rewards them for achievements
    Forward moving company

Cons

System challenges
    need updated computers to achieve this

Been told company is updating systems for about 3 years, have yet to see an upgrade

Even though current system is acceptable, a new system will help us help customers better than our competion

Right limited to what our system can do,have to use internet to get answers for customers

Advance Auto Parts Photos