Advanced Communications

Michael A Falsetti

So much potential

Former Employee - Administrator in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Administrator in South Bend, IN

I worked at Advanced Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited overtime opportunities, decent pay, great benefits and perks if you were in management or administration. Casual, laid back work environment made for a great work-life balance.

Cons

Unfortunately, the "good times" did get in the way of productivity after a while.

Value your technicians as much as you value your management team, they work just as hard, if not harder.

Hard to work for

Former Employee - Cable Tech in Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Former Employee - Cable Tech in Sault Ste. Marie, MI

I worked at Advanced Communications

Pros

They hired me without experience
    The work itself was interesting
    Training was good at first

Cons

They said no travel required in interview, then sent me to work 3 hours away as soon as training was over. They required me to take the company vehicle home and charged me $60 a week, which caused me to earn less than min wage after training. They gave me a signal meter, necessary for the job, that didn't work and wouldn't replace it, making my work painstaking to accomplish.

Give your techs the gear they need! Don't pay less than min wage.

great company

I have been working at Advanced Communications

Pros

the company fixes it right

Cons

the company has no cons

They lie about how much money you will make.

Former Employee - Cable and Phone Installation Tech in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Cable and Phone Installation Tech in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Advanced Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to be outside a lot, and your work environment changes constantly.

Cons

Their rates of pay are from the pre digital transformation of the cable market. Now the QA and test procedures take FAR more time, which means less money for you. I was promised an average of 15 dollars an hour for a 60-70 hour work week. I made minimum wage instead because of the test procedures and QA.

Managers rarely come to help the field tech in distress. Would rather try and walk you through it over a phone.

You have to purchase your own tools.

Get rid of managers that are more content to sit on their butts than help techs who need help.

Years of consistency

Former Employee - Line Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Line Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Advanced Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the pioneers in the industry, Advanced Communications has unmatched experience in the field.

Cons

The small size of the company sometimes resulted in a lack of professionalism.

Great at first but not so much anymore

Current Employee - Installer/Tech in Madison Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Installer/Tech in Madison Heights, MI

I have been working at Advanced Communications

Pros

Some of the customers are nice and you aren't cooped up in an office all day. When times were good you used to be able to make decent money.

Cons

The only thing that stays the same is the constant change in policies, benefits, and how your pay is determined. Meetings are overdone.

ACI used to be a great company to work for. It's been in a downward spiral for several years. You need to get back to doing things the way you did it before if it's at all possible.

SINGLE? NO LIFE? LIKE TO HEAR HOW BAD YOU'RE DOING? ACI is for YOU!

Current Employee - Installation Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Installation Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Advanced Communications

Pros

.PROS? Well, you have a job, you're always promised it will get better, Comcast will pay higher soon, Comcast calls the shots, Comcast is counting on us. You really feel you're working for something bigger, and everytime you think you just can't do it, you get an ego boost... I guess those are pros...? It may be a decent place to work if someone else (Comcast)wasn't really pulling all of the strings, and actually "cared".

Cons

Work 80+ hours a week for minimum wage PLUS a huge production bonus that is impossible to get. Your numbers are based on what Comcast tells you they are, and 75% of the service issues are related to bad COMCAST equipment, or the in-house guys simply coding out a job to make you look bad. The other 25% are things you could control if you weren't given 30 hours worth of work in a 10 hour day. You have to cheat on your paperwork to make Comcast think you made your time frames, which is absolutely impossible considering the contracting companies get everything left after the oh so delicate in-house guys get all of their work on the same block. This leaves you going 40 miles to an a.m. job, than 15 back to a 10-2, than passt the a.m. to 1 of 5 p.m.'s, finally your 2 5-7 calls at 9"00 p.m. The poor customer are waiting all day, and about as mad as can be at you because Comcast keeps telling them we're on our way. THAN the 20 calls from supervisors a day asking if you're going to make your next jobs time frame... They know that there is NO WAY, but they still ask. So after your 15 calls which 3 you were told to reschedule (per the customer of course). How about the billing??? Just say you did it, and customer will sign!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? If you do, ACI gets paid, but you get in trouble for falsifying your orders. We get the broken equipment, non-working remotes, and than told how much we suck. How about feeling like you're going to lose your job every single day...? That makes for a positive attitude, all while you're being yelled at by the customer because Comcast put the ordwer in wrong and they sat on hold for 3 hours 8 different time (that's my fault). God forbid you tell customer you don't have time to run another outlet, than they call Comcast and tell them what a piece of crap you are and no one wants to hear the techs side, we're always guilty. It's literally like being stuck in prison, why do we stay? Well, because it's a job, and you're reminded everyday how tough it is out there.ACI is a traveling circus, we travel to your town, mess it up, and move to the next place where they want you to scare the home teams. Biggest political nightmare since politics!!! Stay far away, or work at Comcast where you get 4- jobs per day and have 3 hours to do a perfect job, get paid by the hour so you can sit behind a strip mall with 5 other guys dodging the work. When you all come back to the pretty Comcast building you get told how great you are because you out did the contractors again because contractors don't care... PLEASE!!! We are the ones working our butts off because you DON'T! I've seen 2 other local companies guys who look just as beat down as us, I'm sure they suck too! Someday Comcast will actually realize it's the perfect little lazy in-house techs that are the problem, than maybe contractors will finally get some sort of respect. NAH!!! They'll just get more free cable, online and phone, get off at 4:00 everyday, and have some sort of real life since they get 2-days off and are patted on the back for completeing all of their jobs and making all of their timeframes. "Good boy Billy, you did 5 hours of work in 8 hours, and you didn't have any complaints"
    I bet ACI would truly be great if the supervisors and managers could actually think about anything other than what we did wrong now. I feel bad for all of the contractors out there feeling like every day may be there last because they just can't measure up to the Comcast guys.

Try to stand up for yourselves. Is Comcast so ignorant that they don't know that they're literally killing you? I know it's not easy to be a supervisor here, but we have to speak up. They have to know we are only human too... Don't they? No one can pass measue up to in-house and they have to know that. They're just pushing harder for their bosses who have never seen a day in the field. They under pay so you have to take as much work as possible just to stay afloat, and you take it, so of course they're going to keep it that way. They want 10 new techs for you to deal with every week so you have to worry about the unemployment, the lawsuits, and the bad equipment that they give us. They cannot truly be this inhumane, can they? I've talked to so many other techs from so many companies, and they all say the exact same thing... "i got a divorce" "I miss my kids", "I forgot how to have fun". We all need to have a contracting companies meeting and TAKE A STAND!!! Everyone is afraid of the cable giant... Customers, ask your tech the next time you get a visit, are you a contractor? Ask them how Comcast treats their company, and while you get that crooked smile and they look away and they say "it's great", take a closer look and you'll probably see there eyes start to tear up.We're pre-programmed to say how great Comcast is, never discuss what's really going on or that we are in a hurry to our next job....ITS COMCASTIC!!! As long as the customer experience is good, we can still have a job. Management, I'm sorry you're stuck, lucky that the people are so close, or we;d have nothing at all. Well, gotta go pay someone to work now.

Exhaustion

Current Employee - Fulfillment Technician in Madison Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Technician in Madison Heights, MI

I have been working at Advanced Communications

Pros

If you are desperate for money then they have work for you. But you will be giving up the rest of your life to earn it. You will be taught some valuable skills that will aide you in furthering your career with a more reputable company.

Cons

Extremly long hours (12-14 hours a day), 6 days a week; makes it difficult to have a personal life. No respect from management. No holidays. Hard to get vacation time approved so whats the use having it.

Start treating your employees with respect. Start by giving appropriate notice of schedule changes instead of springing it on us the day before. Also, when you schedule a crack of dawn meeting and everyone drags themself into work early to attend (even though they didn't get home until way after dark the night before) do not cancel the meeting and reschedule it for the next day because you didn't prepare properly.

Only if the alternative is prison!

Current Employee - Cable Installer in Canton, MI
    Current Employee - Cable Installer in Canton, MI

I have been working at Advanced Communications

Pros

The coworkers are the only good thing about working there. It's more like they are your partners in suffering since they are enduring the same thing.

Cons

I would NEVER recommend this place to a friend. At one time I took pride in doing a good job. I did my job and was paid decently for it. Those days are over! They changed the way you get paid there so that for most guys it ends up being minimum wage. The morale as well as the quality of the work has plummeted. They have slashed benefits, cut hours, taken away 401K matches and put in a bunch of fees to take money away from the techs. They charge you a uniform usage fee on uniforms that you bought yourself!

As for management, it seems like their favorite way to spend their time is harassing the techs and finding ways to write up the techs. The reason for this is so that each employee has a documented trail of shortcomings so they can't get unemployment when they leave. It is truly an unpleasant place to work.

You guys need to get it together and fast! Even management is going to be looking for jobs after ACI self destructs.

PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THE TIME AND FRUSTRATION!!

Former Employee - Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Advanced Communications

Pros

Own work vehicle, some tools provided, and over all friendly co-workers.

Cons

Work overload, time restrictions, paid by job not by hour, not given right equipment or given faulty equipment, very little assistance out in field, long days, and not trained in many situations you will face. Believe me this is not a job you want. It may sound enticing to some but thats exactly the point, their whole purpose is to hire undereducated people having a hard time finding a job in this economy only to exploit them for cheap labor for the ever growing cable giant we all know as Comcast.

Don't make employees drive to the work site if you don't have work for them. This is a very unorganized company which seems to have a hard time holding onto employees.