Advanced Drainage Systems

Joe Chlapaty

great place to work

Former Employee - Grinder Operator in Winter Garden, FL
    Former Employee - Grinder Operator in Winter Garden, FL

I worked at Advanced Drainage Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

the company culture is fun, there are free snacks, the people is friendly and will help with any questions you have, the product is also exciting and neat to work on, there is room to grow

Cons

the organization structure was a bit confusing sometimes it was unclear where the decisions were coming from. It is challenging to perform the best work sometimes due to constraints on the product.

it was fun working with you all and I wish it could've been longer but that's life

hard work

Current Employee - Line Operator
    Current Employee - Line Operator

I have been working at Advanced Drainage Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

variety of work, employees, benefits

Cons

physical job, low pay for hat is expected

listen to your employees and stop punishing those that try to get ahead through hard work and praising the ones they carry.

You Don't Stand a Chance And You Haven't Even Got Started Yet!

Current Employee - Yard Worker/Loade, Not Really Sure Anymore in Bessemer City, NC

I have been working at Advanced Drainage Systems as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The Company has good pay, benefits and offers retirement. That is awesome, It's good to know that there are still American companies out there that have benefits for us.

Cons

You are put on the job and expected to know what to do with 1or 2 days of training. And if you do it wrong you are scolded to no end .When you try to speak to upper management about it you are told that "sometimes you just have to improvise & do the best you can." While the shift supervisors sit in the office with their few select and ride the clock just for the overtime at the expense of the company. Or ride around on the forklift moving pipe to make their selves look busy. Once they realize they can run all over you because you need your job, no matter what it is or who does it you are guaranteed to get the blame for it. Everyone wants to complain and point out what you are doing wrong, but when you mention the fact that you haven't been trained properly to defend yourself, you get threatened with the " if we don't see some improvement were gonna have to let you go" speech. Also you have a plant manager that brags to you that since the 4 short months he has been with the company, he has been thru 30 temporary staff employees, like that's something to brag about. Seems to me if I were a plant manager & I had been thru that many temps in that short length of time, I would seriously start looking from a different perspective as to where the real problem may be, and start looking at the full time employees who were suppose to be training & being paid to train along with the supervisors to see if maybe they were the problem and not the temporary guys. Sad part is how many of those temp guys were let go that would or could have been awesome employees that cared about the company and not just there to collect a pay check with a lot of easy overtime added each week by coming in early or staying late just to drink coffee/monster drinks and be paid time and a half and call it working. Sad part is I really want to make a career working at this company and I don't stand a chance because if your not in the few select group they will make sure you are let go for one reason or another. We all hear about the complaint line that you can call but for some odd reason you can't find that number posted anywhere within the plant. . However, there is more than one way to get to Mr. Joseph Chlapaty than through your complaint line. And I assure you, that he will be more than happy/interested to speak to me about the issues of what's happening behind the scenes & will gladly contact some of the temp employees that were let go to see just how many had the same problems I have listed and have nothing else in common other than needing/wanting a job. And I can guarantee you that all my facts, names and positions will be in order when I speak with him. So I hope that for all of you supervisors, yard supervisors or stand in supervisors have you lies in order when its brought to the table and laid before you to explain why all of this has transpired and allowed to continue within such an Outstanding American Company.

Maybe you to stop listening to what's being told by only a select few and get out from behind that desk and see what's really going on. A good plant manager (especially if your new to the company yourself and don't really know anyone well enough) would be in and out of the plant all hours of the day and night to see for himself what was being done or not being done. And not rely solely on your cameras and your so called supervisors who will eat you up to your face and lie to you to make themselves look good and everyone else look bad. Seriously? You need to earn your salary also (firing good employees just to make examples out of them for everyone else doesn't count either). Your job is way more than sitting behind a desk and answering emails, it takes a little more than that I'm afraid. Sorry your job doesn't always begin at 8 a.m. and end at 5p.m. Especially if you are wanting to keep your position because I can almost bet that not getting the training your were entitled to isn't going to be a reason for not knowing what's really going on in the plant they have trusted you to run. Because I am sure you are getting and will continue to get the training you deserve that other employees have been denied.

Surrounded by yes men.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Advanced Drainage Systems

Pros

None. None. None. None. None.

Cons

Poor organization. Full of fake numbers trying to make the plant look good.

Wonderful company to work for.

I worked at Advanced Drainage Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Take care of their employees. After only a year you earn double vacation time, and receive raises each year. There are many events throughout the year that allow employees to sit back and relax while at work. They value education, so they make sure each employees feels thoroughly trained in their field. Pay & benefits are wonderful.

Cons

It's like a high school cafeteria. If you aren't a "cool kid", good luck getting any interaction from half the folks who work there. The time off policies seem to depend on what mood the CSR manager is in that week. It gets old, quick.

Managers need reviewed by HR annually, if not bi-annually. When 1 person can make an entire team feel as if they are "damned if they do, damned if they don't", but the manager of the other team is polar opposite, something needs done. A raging hypocrite is NOT a good boss.

Great company, that is going strong.

I have been working at Advanced Drainage Systems full-time

Pros

Always going to be work.

Cons

A ton of hours. Getting better

Opportunity to Learn and Grow

I have been working at Advanced Drainage Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are tons of opportunity to learn new things, step outside of your typical job function, and work with a great group of people.

Cons

There is an inner circle of influence and only people that step out and make themselves known will be considered for advancement. It is not necessarily how hard you work, but more importantly who you know, and how well you are liked.

Bad Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buxton, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buxton, ND

I have been working at Advanced Drainage Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work is not very hard.

Cons

Management doesn't have a clue how to treat people equal. They promote useless people while riding the hard workers and giving very little compensation.

Get rid of your pets and treat people equally.

Micromanagement by COO is Stifling New Ideas and Growth

Former Employee - Manufacturing in Sebring, FL
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in Sebring, FL

I worked at Advanced Drainage Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable employment. Many long time employees. Good company paid benefits. Financially secure company.

Cons

COO is a micromanager that spends too much time going on witch hunts than guiding the company. He has surrounded himself with puppets that only know how to say yes at all levels of management. Sadly, great people are fleeing as a result. There can't be any improvement until he is removed from the company. Until then, nobody will make decisions or take risks to be innovative out of fear of being monday morning quarterbacked to death.

Pay the man whatever he wants to make him leave. The company needs to di this before it's too late. Bring back JCB, a real leader everyone is inspired by and will follow to success.

Loved the company and the people at ADS

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Findlay, OH
    Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Findlay, OH

I worked at Advanced Drainage Systems as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the company and the people

Cons

Should have the same hours for ALL employees