Advanced Energy

Updated Mar 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Garry W. Rogerson

Great products, employees not valued

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat technology and products for growth markets. Probably the best tech company in the area. A very fast paced environment where everyone must contribute.

ConsTotal disregard for employees. Continual management changes continually changing the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoy the fruits of your labors.

Employee's are the same as office furniture

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome very talented engineers and technical people.

ConsThe CEO and subsequently his direct reports (he brought them all in) have ZERO value for human capital. If you have worked there prior to his arrival, are getting older or make what he believes as too much money.....Pack your bags, you WILL be gone. Regardless of your performance. They exit people in a manner that is VERY close to illegal.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out Rogerson!!! You have ruined a once great company.

A company in change and not in a good way

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Technical and Engineering People

ConsSelf absorbed upper management ( VP and above) that only knows how to how to cut cost in order to increase the stock price to a target of $27 per share. The founder of the company wants to sell the company and move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake responsibility for your actions. Also it is time to change upper management!

great

I have been working at Advanced Energy full-time

Prosgood people, very smart, work life balance, highly technical, great location, hard working people, niche market, plenty of phd's , involved with csu

Conslimited career path, highly competive,

Crops withering for lack of water

I have been working at Advanced Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood technology and many competent people, excellent market share, profitable.

ConsNew management is focused only on the bottom line, not on employees or customers. They reduced headcount to the point where resources are too limited to succeed in the long-term. Stock options have been eliminated for all but senior level employees, and morale is low. There is not a lot of joy in this place. Not much room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees and fund development programs enough to succeed int he long-run.

Really screwed up company

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time

ProsNew technology, senior leadership seems committed to expansion and acquisition strategy and a diversified product line, generally a strong team that works hard

ConsShifting priorities from senior leadership with little regard for employees who are basically just assets, hire-and-fire mentality, zero expectation of loyalty on either side. Very little day-to-day engagement from senior leadership. The culture seems to favor prefer people who yell louder rather than collaboration

Advice to Senior ManagementThe problem starts at the top. The CEO must be replaced for any hope of saving this company.

A once-great company

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsBefore recent management took over, was a great company where innovative people could flourish and were well-compensated. It used to be the kind of company where you want to work forever...

ConsNew management came in and reduced compensation dramatically, fired extremely talented people (many just left), and off-shored much of the business. The people who have survived are overworked and there out of fear of losing their jobs. The "engineering" team is now working in a manufacturing facility with no sunlight ("the dungeon"), inside cubicles that are flood-stained (I'm not making this up) and with no promise of a future there. Everyone I know who worked there has quit (if they were lucky) or have been layed off. The only good news is that all the extremely talented people that have left have gone to work for their competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your resume updated.

Just a shadow of its formal self

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you can get into one of the view engineering groups left (that has not been off-shored), there is much to learn and for sure you will be challenged with a great engineering experience. Pay and benefits seem to be in par with similar industries. There are some extremely talented engineers there (not many left though); the employees that remain are very good people.

ConsExecutive management simply does not care about employees...period! Board of directors is focused on "share-holder value". If you want a company were you can contribute your ideas to upper management then this is not the place for you. Lots of slogans and mission statements, but no substance behind them. Layoffs are frequent and deep; but they spin it in such a way as to not have to make announcements, so most of the public does not see half the layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are what make up a good company! Your taking the most productive, innovative, and motivated people (as the USA is known for) and tossing them to the side. And by the way, employees are share-holders too! Your short term strategy will not pay off.

Too risky

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmaller company which gives opportunity to wear multiple hats. I was able to learn more new skills there than at larger companies.

I was also able to advance due to all the layoffs, until I was laid off...

ConsTheir market is very cyclical and so is the hiring/layoff cycle. I was only there a few years and I was one of the 'old guys' there due to multiple rounds of layoffs each year. Then lots of hiring on the up cycle.

The management chain was constantly changing due to layoff/firings so every few months we got a new leader with a new vision to implement.

They are also moving many jobs to India and China for cost savings. Although the savings are really questionable as they pay so much for outsourced contracts vs what they could have for in house.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to expand so much until you can get your core business stabilized. Treat your employees like the valuable assets they are instead of like commodities to be bought/sold as needed.

Very disappointing experience. Company has on attention to employee-related issues/balance, only on shareholder value.

Senior Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsOne person on my team was great. The rest were back stabbing and vindictive. The level of unprofessionalism was staggering. I've never worked in such a horrible environment.

ConsToo many to mention. As someone who is intimately involved in this company's affairs - DO NOT WORK HERE.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves and hire replacements.

Worked for Advanced Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advanced Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Advanced Energy CEO Garry W. Rogerson. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Advanced Energy employees.