Advanced Energy

Material handler

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Advanced Energy as a contractor

Pros

There was a good culture

Cons

They have lay off's all the time

Unstable environment for employees.

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time

Pros

Talented people in a tough environment.

Cons

High bonus payouts to executives, while staff don't see much.

Remember it's the employees that make the company.

Good experience with such a good and helping people.

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Bend, OR

I have been working at Advanced Energy as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Work life is awesome. All matters is job completion. Family is most priority than work. Awesome management.

Cons

I don't recall any cons other than minimum number of employees it have to work.

Great mission, poor senior leadership

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission, good team to work with, good program managers, good work/life balance.

Cons

Very poor senior management - top talent (leaders and staff) left or leaving. Poor communication to staff; hence, it seems like decisions are reactionary and not well thought out. Lack of vision and long range plan. Seems to be directed by electric utilities opposed to representing the interest of the rate payers.

Communicate more with staff. Share corporate vision and plan - more than just high-level power-point slides. Anyone can make those, what is the real plan behind them. Do more for the rate payers instead of the utilities.

For Technicians, assemblers and other non engineers- temp to unemployed is their most common offering.

Former Employee - Repair Technician in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Repair Technician in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Advanced Energy as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They somehow manage to keep a base of regular workers that are great people. Since technicians are usually talented and motivated people even the many temps are great to work with. If you are a veteran, even an older one, you have a better chance there. Pay was okay but not stellar through the temp agency. The training was great when they brought me in the first time, but they will do little to refresh anything when/if you come back. The tools to do the job are generally available, but special tools are scarce. If you can carve out a niche all the better. The power supplies they build are very interesting to learn about and technologically advanced. I have little personal knowledge of their solar side.

Cons

They bring their techs in as temps and let them go when they can no longer get away with not hiring them, or when they feel like it even if you are quite busy. In my case the first time was around 18 months, the second much less. I worked there multiple times. They will call you and tell you not to come in right before your shift, so don't leave any valuables in your locker. I hear they are outsourcing their Design work to India. They will keep bringing you back for more if you are willing to be used and kicked to the curb again and again. You will hear rumors that they are about to convert the temps to regulars, then you will get a call to not come back. It isn't personal, it is AE, and the culture sucks. The shareholder is all that matters, people are just tools to use and toss aside. The work environment is crowded and if you feel safe there you are crazy. People will be bumping into you as you work on high-voltage, high-power equipment. You will spend much time looking for a service carts upon which to place the unit you plan to service. You won't like it as you have to charge that stupid waste of time to the customer or else look inefficient. Sometimes your cart and even the unit on it will "disappear" making for more searching. Their repair process is cumbersome, but in some ways the system does work well. You will sometimes hope you didn't miss something because it can get very complicated. The regulars won't freely share knowledge with you, what they know and you don't is why they are there for the long haul. Tribal knowledge is possibly the only job security in AE. This seems to be the key to staying there. They will outsource the same jobs again and again, and then bring them back for a while. Expect to be cut at any time.

Bring the jobs back. Shipping things back and forth to China is inefficient and a stupid waste of time, money, and energy. The customers deserve better, remember them? They pay the bills, not the shareholders. Even though upper management seems it couldn't care less about Americans and American jobs, there are a lot of us that would like to see AE grow and continue to excel in the marketplace. Fix your crappy culture, if you maintain a loyal US workforce with AE's best interests in mind, you will have a powerful base on which to build a future. You aren't alone in losing IP everyday due to outsourcing to countries that are happy to steal the technology you send them. Why not be different and protect it? You lose talent by abusing the people that want to make things better. You have changed temp agencies, is that because the old one couldn't persuade any of your former victims to sign up for another round of abuse? Stop ruling the employees with fear for their jobs and try looking at the big picture. The company is it's people, not it's upper managers and shareholders.

Assembly

Current Employee - Low Voltage On I Mega Watt Converters in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Low Voltage On I Mega Watt Converters in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Advanced Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

environment, exposure to new technology, professional work ethics, clean room facilities make for comfortable work day. Management includes personnel in efforts to assure Quality and a well manufactured product.

Cons

location is a problem, it's along drive for me. As I now work for a temp agency I'm faced with uncertainty of the length of employment I will be needed.

none

Great products, employees not valued

Former Employee - Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology and products for growth markets. Probably the best tech company in the area. A very fast paced environment where everyone must contribute.

Cons

Total disregard for employees. Continual management changes continually changing the company.

Enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Employee's are the same as office furniture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some very talented engineers and technical people.

Cons

The CEO and subsequently his direct reports (he brought them all in) have ZERO value for human capital. If you have worked there prior to his arrival, are getting older or make what he believes as too much money.....Pack your bags, you WILL be gone. Regardless of your performance. They exit people in a manner that is VERY close to illegal.

Get out Rogerson!!! You have ruined a once great company.

A company in change and not in a good way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Technical and Engineering People

Cons

Self absorbed upper management ( VP and above) that only knows how to how to cut cost in order to increase the stock price to a target of $27 per share. The founder of the company wants to sell the company and move on.

Take responsibility for your actions. Also it is time to change upper management!

great

I have been working at Advanced Energy full-time

Pros

good people, very smart, work life balance, highly technical, great location, hard working people, niche market, plenty of phd's , involved with csu

Cons

limited career path, highly competive,