Advanced Energy

Updated May 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Garry W. Rogerson

Employee's are the same as office furniture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsSome very talented engineers and technical people.

ConsThe CEO and subsequently his direct reports (he brought them all in) have ZERO value for human capital. If you have worked there prior to his arrival, are getting older or make what he believes as too much money.....Pack your bags, you WILL be gone. Regardless of your performance. They exit people in a manner that is VERY close to illegal.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out Rogerson!!! You have ruined a once great company.

Really screwed up company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNew technology, senior leadership seems committed to expansion and acquisition strategy and a diversified product line, generally a strong team that works hard

ConsShifting priorities from senior leadership with little regard for employees who are basically just assets, hire-and-fire mentality, zero expectation of loyalty on either side. Very little day-to-day engagement from senior leadership. The culture seems to favor prefer people who yell louder rather than collaboration

Advice to Senior ManagementThe problem starts at the top. The CEO must be replaced for any hope of saving this company.

A once-great company

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsBefore recent management took over, was a great company where innovative people could flourish and were well-compensated. It used to be the kind of company where you want to work forever...

ConsNew management came in and reduced compensation dramatically, fired extremely talented people (many just left), and off-shored much of the business. The people who have survived are overworked and there out of fear of losing their jobs. The "engineering" team is now working in a manufacturing facility with no sunlight ("the dungeon"), inside cubicles that are flood-stained (I'm not making this up) and with no promise of a future there. Everyone I know who worked there has quit (if they were lucky) or have been layed off. The only good news is that all the extremely talented people that have left have gone to work for their competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your resume updated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just a shadow of its formal self

Engineer (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsIf you can get into one of the view engineering groups left (that has not been off-shored), there is much to learn and for sure you will be challenged with a great engineering experience. Pay and benefits seem to be in par with similar industries. There are some extremely talented engineers there (not many left though); the employees that remain are very good people.

ConsExecutive management simply does not care about employees...period! Board of directors is focused on "share-holder value". If you want a company were you can contribute your ideas to upper management then this is not the place for you. Lots of slogans and mission statements, but no substance behind them. Layoffs are frequent and deep; but they spin it in such a way as to not have to make announcements, so most of the public does not see half the layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are what make up a good company! Your taking the most productive, innovative, and motivated people (as the USA is known for) and tossing them to the side. And by the way, employees are share-holders too! Your short term strategy will not pay off.

Very disappointing experience. Company has on attention to employee-related issues/balance, only on shareholder value.

Senior Professional (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsOne person on my team was great. The rest were back stabbing and vindictive. The level of unprofessionalism was staggering. I've never worked in such a horrible environment.

ConsToo many to mention. As someone who is intimately involved in this company's affairs - DO NOT WORK HERE.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves and hire replacements.

AE moto: we cannot deliver!

Software Engineer III (Former Employee) Bend, OR

Pros* Location - Bend, OR is fabulous.
    * Promises - they said a lot - did nothing.
    * Offer Letter - had the correct legal disclaimers.

Cons* Offices - trailers, construction, cubes, dust, bad light, noise, and lack of ventilation (smell).
    * Management - talk, talk, talk; promise, promise, promise ... no deliveries.
    * Direction - none.
    * Dishonesty - I was promised a 10% bonus and quit because they changed the policy and dropped bonuses.
    * Petty - their HR docs states 401k matching at 50% of the first 5%; which they did until somebody decided to retroactively remove 1/2 of all their matching - months after I had quit. Can they do that ?

Advice to Senior Management* Before you write offer letters make sure you will honor them.

Learning opportunity... What not to do to your employees!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsAE offers a decent pay.

Conslack of respect & professionalism

Advice to Senior Managementgrow up

Great mission, poor senior leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mission, good team to work with, good program managers, good work/life balance.

ConsVery poor senior management - top talent (leaders and staff) left or leaving. Poor communication to staff; hence, it seems like decisions are reactionary and not well thought out. Lack of vision and long range plan. Seems to be directed by electric utilities opposed to representing the interest of the rate payers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more with staff. Share corporate vision and plan - more than just high-level power-point slides. Anyone can make those, what is the real plan behind them. Do more for the rate payers instead of the utilities.

Need Leadership's Excellence

ProsGreat technology company...especially, Precision Power

ConsExecutive Leadership Team only thinks they knew the business/ops, but, they don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on the production line, see/listen more there....

For Technicians, assemblers and other non engineers- temp to unemployed is their most common offering.

Repair Technician (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsThey somehow manage to keep a base of regular workers that are great people. Since technicians are usually talented and motivated people even the many temps are great to work with. If you are a veteran, even an older one, you have a better chance there. Pay was okay but not stellar through the temp agency. The training was great when they brought me in the first time, but they will do little to refresh anything when/if you come back. The tools to do the job are generally available, but special tools are scarce. If you can carve out a niche all the better. The power supplies they build are very interesting to learn about and technologically advanced. I have little personal knowledge of their solar side.

ConsThey bring their techs in as temps and let them go when they can no longer get away with not hiring them, or when they feel like it even if you are quite busy. In my case the first time was around 18 months, the second much less. I worked there multiple times. They will call you and tell you not to come in right before your shift, so don't leave any valuables in your locker. I hear they are outsourcing their Design work to India. They will keep bringing you back for more if you are willing to be used and kicked to the curb again and again. You will hear rumors that they are about to convert the temps to regulars, then you will get a call to not come back. It isn't personal, it is AE, and the culture sucks. The shareholder is all that matters, people are just tools to use and toss aside. The work environment is crowded and if you feel safe there you are crazy. People will be bumping into you as you work on high-voltage, high-power equipment. You will spend much time looking for a service carts upon which to place the unit you plan to service. You won't like it as you have to charge that stupid waste of time to the customer or else look inefficient. Sometimes your cart and even the unit on it will "disappear" making for more searching. Their repair process is cumbersome, but in some ways the system does work well. You will sometimes hope you didn't miss something because it can get very complicated. The regulars won't freely share knowledge with you, what they know and you don't is why they are there for the long haul. Tribal knowledge is possibly the only job security in AE. This seems to be the key to staying there. They will outsource the same jobs again and again, and then bring them back for a while. Expect to be cut at any time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the jobs back. Shipping things back and forth to China is inefficient and a stupid waste of time, money, and energy. The customers deserve better, remember them? They pay the bills, not the shareholders. Even though upper management seems it couldn't care less about Americans and American jobs, there are a lot of us that would like to see AE grow and continue to excel in the marketplace. Fix your crappy culture, if you maintain a loyal US workforce with AE's best interests in mind, you will have a powerful base on which to build a future. You aren't alone in losing IP everyday due to outsourcing to countries that are happy to steal the technology you send them. Why not be different and protect it? You lose talent by abusing the people that want to make things better. You have changed temp agencies, is that because the old one couldn't persuade any of your former victims to sign up for another round of abuse? Stop ruling the employees with fear for their jobs and try looking at the big picture. The company is it's people, not it's upper managers and shareholders.

Worked for Advanced Energy? Contribute to the Community!