Advanced Energy

Updated May 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Garry W. Rogerson

Just a shadow of its formal self

Engineer (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsIf you can get into one of the view engineering groups left (that has not been off-shored), there is much to learn and for sure you will be challenged with a great engineering experience. Pay and benefits seem to be in par with similar industries. There are some extremely talented engineers there (not many left though); the employees that remain are very good people.

ConsExecutive management simply does not care about employees...period! Board of directors is focused on "share-holder value". If you want a company were you can contribute your ideas to upper management then this is not the place for you. Lots of slogans and mission statements, but no substance behind them. Layoffs are frequent and deep; but they spin it in such a way as to not have to make announcements, so most of the public does not see half the layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are what make up a good company! Your taking the most productive, innovative, and motivated people (as the USA is known for) and tossing them to the side. And by the way, employees are share-holders too! Your short term strategy will not pay off.

Too risky

Manager (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsSmaller company which gives opportunity to wear multiple hats. I was able to learn more new skills there than at larger companies.

I was also able to advance due to all the layoffs, until I was laid off...

ConsTheir market is very cyclical and so is the hiring/layoff cycle. I was only there a few years and I was one of the 'old guys' there due to multiple rounds of layoffs each year. Then lots of hiring on the up cycle.

The management chain was constantly changing due to layoff/firings so every few months we got a new leader with a new vision to implement.

They are also moving many jobs to India and China for cost savings. Although the savings are really questionable as they pay so much for outsourced contracts vs what they could have for in house.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to expand so much until you can get your core business stabilized. Treat your employees like the valuable assets they are instead of like commodities to be bought/sold as needed.

Very disappointing experience. Company has on attention to employee-related issues/balance, only on shareholder value.

Senior Professional (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsOne person on my team was great. The rest were back stabbing and vindictive. The level of unprofessionalism was staggering. I've never worked in such a horrible environment.

ConsToo many to mention. As someone who is intimately involved in this company's affairs - DO NOT WORK HERE.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves and hire replacements.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could be great, I want to be inspired

ProsLots of bright people here, Love the location, love the industry.

ConsManagement has everyone who's left that there are more layoffs, and outsourcing coming. No real focus on making this place a great place to work. All the talk is to please the shareholder, and no appreciation for the people that made this company (The Employees). Too bad. I was real inspired to come work in the solar industry but the environment here is not ideal.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's clear that you want to make as much money as possible and leave, so I guess good for you. Your employees could be so much more productive and inspired if you did a good job at leading us.

Talented company, confronts challenging times

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsVery talented engineering teams, well established processes, albeit can be somewhat bureaucratic. Groups also often support proper development timelines and engineering feedback to marketing to get real products out with high reliability and in realistic timelines. They also were supportive of opportunities to increase skills, through internal learning opportunities especially.

ConsCEO's change relatively often,... latest CEO is off-shoring some groups to be closer to customers' manufacturing bases (Asia). Difficult to say how extensive the off-shoring will be. Middle management does a very good job overall, although, they could improve through empowering individuals to have a little more say in what direction they'd like them to work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs with most top to middle management exchanges, and down into the engineering organizations: improving transparency is always a challenge, and also insuring the organization can effectively communicate information up and down the ranks (yes, the top needs to listen as well!). Continuing to address these challenges will insure the organization stays cohesive and has the best chance of success in the boom and the bust times.

Great People, quickly losing jobs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsRoom for advancement as long as your job isn't being moved to China. Great people, everyone in Fort Collins was a pleasure to work with.

ConsLay Offs, Jobs are being sent to China.

AE moto: we cannot deliver!

Software Engineer III (Former Employee) Bend, OR

Pros* Location - Bend, OR is fabulous.
    * Promises - they said a lot - did nothing.
    * Offer Letter - had the correct legal disclaimers.

Cons* Offices - trailers, construction, cubes, dust, bad light, noise, and lack of ventilation (smell).
    * Management - talk, talk, talk; promise, promise, promise ... no deliveries.
    * Direction - none.
    * Dishonesty - I was promised a 10% bonus and quit because they changed the policy and dropped bonuses.
    * Petty - their HR docs states 401k matching at 50% of the first 5%; which they did until somebody decided to retroactively remove 1/2 of all their matching - months after I had quit. Can they do that ?

Advice to Senior Management* Before you write offer letters make sure you will honor them.

Great until manufacturing was moved to China.

Test Engineer (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsGood people to work with. A large mix of low volume products makes it interesting - always something new to learn. This is a good place to get some experience.

ConsYes men are more likely to be promoted. Management does not want to hear the truth but just a yes. Layoffs are very common. I would not recommend this company for a long-term career.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees more.

Great place to work when conditions for the business are good.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsLots of opportunity for advancement during the course of my employment.

ConsBusiness is a rollercoaster. Bottom line profits take precedence over American jobs so many are lost to move more of the business to China.

Advice to Senior ManagementReinvest in America. The products produced overseas (China especially) are not as good as those produced in the USA. You are selling out America.

great

Project Manager (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

Prosthe engineers were extremley innovative

ConsThe management had lack of long term strategy

Worked for Advanced Energy? Contribute to the Community!