Advanced Energy

Updated October 2, 2014
Updated October 2, 2014
2.4

Garry W. Rogerson

Crops withering for lack of water

I have been working at Advanced Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good technology and many competent people, excellent market share, profitable.

Cons

New management is focused only on the bottom line, not on employees or customers. They reduced headcount to the point where resources are too limited to succeed in the long-term. Stock options have been eliminated for all but senior level employees, and morale is low. There is not a lot of joy in this place. Not much room for advancement

Take care of your employees and fund development programs enough to succeed int he long-run.

Really screwed up company

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time

Pros

New technology, senior leadership seems committed to expansion and acquisition strategy and a diversified product line, generally a strong team that works hard

Cons

Shifting priorities from senior leadership with little regard for employees who are basically just assets, hire-and-fire mentality, zero expectation of loyalty on either side. Very little day-to-day engagement from senior leadership. The culture seems to favor prefer people who yell louder rather than collaboration

The problem starts at the top. The CEO must be replaced for any hope of saving this company.

A once-great company

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Before recent management took over, was a great company where innovative people could flourish and were well-compensated. It used to be the kind of company where you want to work forever...

Cons

New management came in and reduced compensation dramatically, fired extremely talented people (many just left), and off-shored much of the business. The people who have survived are overworked and there out of fear of losing their jobs. The "engineering" team is now working in a manufacturing facility with no sunlight ("the dungeon"), inside cubicles that are flood-stained (I'm not making this up) and with no promise of a future there. Everyone I know who worked there has quit (if they were lucky) or have been layed off. The only good news is that all the extremely talented people that have left have gone to work for their competitors.

Get your resume updated.

Just a shadow of its formal self

Former Employee - Engineer in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you can get into one of the view engineering groups left (that has not been off-shored), there is much to learn and for sure you will be challenged with a great engineering experience. Pay and benefits seem to be in par with similar industries. There are some extremely talented engineers there (not many left though); the employees that remain are very good people.

Cons

Executive management simply does not care about employees...period! Board of directors is focused on "share-holder value". If you want a company were you can contribute your ideas to upper management then this is not the place for you. Lots of slogans and mission statements, but no substance behind them. Layoffs are frequent and deep; but they spin it in such a way as to not have to make announcements, so most of the public does not see half the layoffs.

People are what make up a good company! Your taking the most productive, innovative, and motivated people (as the USA is known for) and tossing them to the side. And by the way, employees are share-holders too! Your short term strategy will not pay off.

Too risky

Former Employee - Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smaller company which gives opportunity to wear multiple hats. I was able to learn more new skills there than at larger companies.

I was also able to advance due to all the layoffs, until I was laid off...

Cons

Their market is very cyclical and so is the hiring/layoff cycle. I was only there a few years and I was one of the 'old guys' there due to multiple rounds of layoffs each year. Then lots of hiring on the up cycle.

The management chain was constantly changing due to layoff/firings so every few months we got a new leader with a new vision to implement.

They are also moving many jobs to India and China for cost savings. Although the savings are really questionable as they pay so much for outsourced contracts vs what they could have for in house.

Quit trying to expand so much until you can get your core business stabilized. Treat your employees like the valuable assets they are instead of like commodities to be bought/sold as needed.

Very disappointing experience. Company has on attention to employee-related issues/balance, only on shareholder value.

Former Employee - Senior Professional in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Professional in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One person on my team was great. The rest were back stabbing and vindictive. The level of unprofessionalism was staggering. I've never worked in such a horrible environment.

Cons

Too many to mention. As someone who is intimately involved in this company's affairs - DO NOT WORK HERE.

Fire yourselves and hire replacements.

Could be great, I want to be inspired

I have been working at Advanced Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of bright people here, Love the location, love the industry.

Cons

Management has everyone who's left that there are more layoffs, and outsourcing coming. No real focus on making this place a great place to work. All the talk is to please the shareholder, and no appreciation for the people that made this company (The Employees). Too bad. I was real inspired to come work in the solar industry but the environment here is not ideal.

It's clear that you want to make as much money as possible and leave, so I guess good for you. Your employees could be so much more productive and inspired if you did a good job at leading us.

Talented company, confronts challenging times

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very talented engineering teams, well established processes, albeit can be somewhat bureaucratic. Groups also often support proper development timelines and engineering feedback to marketing to get real products out with high reliability and in realistic timelines. They also were supportive of opportunities to increase skills, through internal learning opportunities especially.

Cons

CEO's change relatively often,... latest CEO is off-shoring some groups to be closer to customers' manufacturing bases (Asia). Difficult to say how extensive the off-shoring will be. Middle management does a very good job overall, although, they could improve through empowering individuals to have a little more say in what direction they'd like them to work in.

As with most top to middle management exchanges, and down into the engineering organizations: improving transparency is always a challenge, and also insuring the organization can effectively communicate information up and down the ranks (yes, the top needs to listen as well!). Continuing to address these challenges will insure the organization stays cohesive and has the best chance of success in the boom and the bust times.

Great People, quickly losing jobs.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Room for advancement as long as your job isn't being moved to China. Great people, everyone in Fort Collins was a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Lay Offs, Jobs are being sent to China.

AE moto: we cannot deliver!

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Bend, OR

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Location - Bend, OR is fabulous.
    * Promises - they said a lot - did nothing.
    * Offer Letter - had the correct legal disclaimers.

Cons

* Offices - trailers, construction, cubes, dust, bad light, noise, and lack of ventilation (smell).
    * Management - talk, talk, talk; promise, promise, promise ... no deliveries.
    * Direction - none.
    * Dishonesty - I was promised a 10% bonus and quit because they changed the policy and dropped bonuses.
    * Petty - their HR docs states 401k matching at 50% of the first 5%; which they did until somebody decided to retroactively remove 1/2 of all their matching - months after I had quit. Can they do that ?

* Before you write offer letters make sure you will honor them.