Advanced Interactive Systems

Steven Kalman

Been There Done That

Former Employee - Ananomus in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Ananomus in Seattle, WA

I worked at Advanced Interactive Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Advanced Interactive Systems was a industry leader in interactive software for the training of law enforcement and military personel.

Cons

Executive management team lacked a clearer vision for product line.

A better focus on marketing and market research

What a great ride!

I worked at Advanced Interactive Systems full-time

Pros

Great People, Dedicated Employees, Great customers, Interesting work, Great set of products,

Cons

Lack of adequate financing, Dependent on government procurement processes

Find a new job!

Very poor, poor, poor, management.

Current Employee - Field Technician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Field Technician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Advanced Interactive Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People, product, vision. Sadly that was it.

Cons

Management, management, management. Too many personal agendas and egos. Amazed that the ride lasted this long. Zero career growth or development opportunities for staff. Executive management even worse. Never saw them as they never cared.

Understand what the job role of "management" means, listen to the people that work under you. This is not the military!

some time ago, responding to 9-11

I worked at Advanced Interactive Systems full-time

Pros

great direct supervisor, leadership has fortunately changed

Cons

some real bad eggs, most are gone now

Steve Kalman, great leader...

Previous Employee (pre 2005)

I worked at Advanced Interactive Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The atmosphere of the employees is awesome and one of the reason I stayed as long as I did. I felt like the people really cared about the customers.

Cons

There were many times when i felt like some really BAD decisions were made (e.g. Military HQ.com) and it felt like the management team really did not have there eyes on the ball.

Well isn't it a bit too late for advice? AIS is claiming BK CH7... so I would have to say if I could go back in time I might say that you need to pay more attention to the BIG PICTURE and stop fretting over the small sales.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Advanced Interactive Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool product with some real market differentiators. Flexible work/life balance. Great relationships with customers & users. Great technical support staff.

Cons

No Marketing whatsoever. Operationally dysfunctional. No real CRM. Spineless Senior Management with zero people skills that sit if their offices waiting for the numbers to change in their Excel spreadsheets.

If you actually took some action besides buying worthless companies you wouldn't have had to Chapter 7 the company.

Great company that needs a vision

Current Employee - Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Advanced Interactive Systems

Pros

The people and their commitment to producing a great products. The products AIS produces make a difference in the world and saves lives. a great opportunity to work with exception customers who are truly commit to what they do.

Cons

The preceved lack of respect and communication that management shows for it employees. The seemingly lack of vision of the company.

Create a solid vision for the company and share that vision with your employees. They will stand being you if you do. Create a, no favoritism, fiscal responsibly plan for the company and enforce it.

A wild roller coaster that leads to less than disappointing pitfalls.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Advanced Interactive Systems

Pros

The group of people that I work with are dedicated, fun and overall what has made me stay. The flexibility given when it comes to balancing work and non-work activities. The ability to diversify my activities in the company to help keep the job less mundane.

Cons

It is truly unfortunate that the company has had some successful years in it's history that have all been flushed away with investments that weren't thought through or analyzed, at least to my knowledge. These willy nilly investments have absorbed any and all profits of the company which in turn keeps it in the hole, unable to pay vendors and as of late, it's employees.

Miss-management and a lack of accountability have lead us in a direction of destruction. Allowing outlandish expenditures such as first class trips to "Hawai'i" to check on a customer or continuous trips to Canada when perhaps a phone call could have done the job. Contracting with a company to build it's key components that are always broken and come off the "factory" dead on arrival. Hiring contractors to perform unknown jobs that produce zero yield or profit for the company, most of which are friends of upper management.

Overall, there is a complete lack of direction, accountability, operating budgets, or any other "normal" business structure. But we certainly have plenty "VP" titles and positions.

Develop a plan, remove the worthless upper management, cut out the contractors, hold people accountable through policy and procedure. Focus on the bread and butter (simulation, specifically the PRISim product line) and stop taking on contracts from countries or agencies that suck up 110% of the development time just to make that one sale, leaving in the dust what has built the company.

Great products and passionate people to work with, but no vision or plan from above

I have been working at Advanced Interactive Systems

Pros

Very flexible and supportive. Casual culture, fun and passionate people. Great products with a lot of potential to save lives and set industry standards. 3 weeks vacation and good medical benefits.

Cons

Upper management is incompetent and non-existent in the corporate office. There are some highly overpaid consultants who are never there. There are certain VPs and managers who have been there way too long, and no one can figure out how or why they are still in place, when they fail to produce advances in our technology, yet we are "Advanced Interactive Systems." People spend money like crazy at the company, buying first class tickets for work and traveling when unnecessary. The bills never get paid on time and payroll has been missed a couple times. It is truly sad to see such a wonderful, talented, hard-working group of individuals who all believe in our products, but cannot get past the pitfalls of upper management, uncontrolled cash, and technology that is far behind the competition. As for reviews and raises? If you ask, maybe. They rarely take place.

Everything mentioned above. Pay attention to your employees and make them feel valued. Communicate with them. Hold regular quarterly meetings with staff. Quit chasing tails and come up with a true vision for AIS, so that everyone can work toward the same goal.