Advanced Medical Reviews

Finance & Accounting - Interim Controller

Former Employee - Interim Controller in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Interim Controller in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews

Pros

Great Culture, very supportive environment. The Senior Management and Managing partner really care about their employees and doing the right thing. Even though I was a contractor, I was treated with a great deal of respect. I never felt like I was an outsider. All the staff is very nice as well. They have great benefits, and the compensation matches much larger companies. They also have flex time and many staff work from home when they need to.

Cons

My commute was long. I would have stayed and taken on a career role had it been closer to home.

Keep up the good work!!! This company will grow much larger....

This job is what you make of it

Current Employee - Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I won't pretend that this is a dream company to work for, but the job is essentially what you make of it. You can come in and do the bare minimum; you'll receive paltry raises each year and live under the thumb of your manager. Or you can come in and apply yourself; you'll either be given stimulating projects within the operations department or promoted out of operations entirely. AMR isn't perfect, but it is a meritocracy; the people who are the unhappiest within the company tend to do the very worst work, and thereby earn the strict supervision they are given. The company offers pretty decent health insurance, vacation/sick time, 401k, and the opportunity to work from home. Once you are trained and show competency, you basically work autonomously. There's always a surplus of work to do, and nearly unlimited optional overtime is offered. When you leave the company, you can walk out with a letter of recommendation from a medical doctor or two and tons of experience in medical administration.

Cons

Compensation could be more generous at the entry level. The open office plan makes the environment noisy and distracting (but they are fixing this when they move to a new location). Management tends to be cold. The executives treat the company like their piggy bank. The peer-grading system lends itself to antagonistic work relationships. The company agrees to timeframes with its clients that aren't realistic; when the operations department doesn't meet its goals (it almost never meets goals), morale plummets. Management could be more flexible with employee's schedules. Management has no real carrots or sticks to motivate employees; the company forbids financial incentive to do well (above a $5 Starbucks card), but also never fires people for doing bad work (incompetent employees have a way of lingering). The staff tends to be stretched very thin across too many projects. As an IRO, I am very concerned that the company cares more about quantity/profit than quality of medical review recommendations.

Let more people go remote; the employees who stay at the company longest and do the best work go remote. Refocus the company on giving high quality recommendations and advice to its clients, and take the emphasis off volume. Don't promise things to clients that you can't deliver on (e.g. huge volumes of reviews done in very short periods of time). Be flexible with employee schedules; employees take a long time to train and it's a waste of resources to lose an employee due to scheduling problems. Eliminate time-consuming department and company-wide meetings. Use carrots to reward good employees; use sticks to punish bad employees.

WORSE NIGHTMARE! I AM LEAVING!!

Current Employee - Operations Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

THE ONLY REASON TO WORK HERE IS BECAUSE THE UNEMPLOYMENT LINE IS BIG AND WAIT TIMES ARE OUTRAGEOUS.OTHERWISE, KEEP AWAY THEY MAKE A MILLION AND ONE FAKE PROMISES.

Cons

-long hours @ less than minimum wage rates.. since they pay salary you cant tell unless you break it down
    -overcrowded, very uncomfortable work environment. have to smell each others sweat.
    -no furthering opportunities

keep your promises!!!!
    do not make so many fake promises to ALL of us. I feel like ive been lied to all along. very sad to see such a company with potential just get stuck and not move further..

Worst company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Getting paid is the only reason to work here. If you must take a job with AMR do so and keep looking. You will hate yourself otherwise.

Cons

Extremely hostile work environment with constant staff turnover
    Coworkers grading your work for quality
    Productivity and quality measured minute by minute and displayed to entire staff
    Open office with a lot of noise
    Editing medical reviews given by doctors that seemed gerbils wrote them
    Managers with no education medical field
    Owners that are sucking as much money as possible from the company while treating staff like slaves and paying slave wages
    Sometimes hard to want to go to work or make it through the day
    No opportunity for advancement

Stop treating staff like slaves. Your productivity and quality measures are a joke. Your staff has found ways around your system and are taking advantage of your arrogance. If you paid more attention to your staff and less to your wallets you would have less staff turnover and a better product. As it is you are turning out reviews that if investigated would have you liable legally. Make your managers actually manage and not monitor a computer screen. Stop promoting a frat house mentality and stop the open office environment. When speaking with professionals on the phone background noise at AMR sounds like a kegger party.

My experience was discouraging and demoralizing.

Former Employee - Clinical Quality Nurse in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Quality Nurse in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In retrospect, I honestly can't think of a positive thing to say.

Cons

There was little or no training. What training there was that pertained to my job was provided by the medical director, whose time was extremely limited. An inordinate amount of time was spent with other people who described jobs other than my own, including a computer power point presentation by a person in another state that took forever and again, was not directly pertinent to my job. I shared an office with a person who did a different job, had little time to help me or answer questions, and spent a great deal of time talking about her personal life, past and present. This job was like riding a runaway train that I knew was going to crash, but I kept hoping things would get better. They didn't.

Have an actual written training program for new people with detailed, stated training objectives, including a time frame for achieving those objectives. Have an actual designated training whose full time job is to train the new employee for their actual job. Do not develop a total personality change during the second week, during which you snap at the new employee, saying repeatedly, "I already showed you this! Write it down!" This is why other employers have a training program that is entirely focused on the new employee's job for the first few weeks, with a designated trainer for that employee. My previous job offered me 1:1 training for a month with just one trainer.

Its okay, if you prefer dead end.

Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-working remotely
    -great, fun , and young co-workers
    -nice locations
    -the work is easy

Cons

-poor management
    -almost impossible goals for promotion
    -low pay
    -employees are not respected by management
    -no monetary incentives
    -raises usually range from 30 to 60 cents per year
    -you are awarded mostly with breakfast
    -the work is easy, but not inspiring
    -no room for growth
    -management does not care about keeping you as an employee
    -very high turnover rate, management has said they are okay with this

Management does not care about advice.

Stay away... At all costs. Menial labor is more honorable and fulfilling than this.

Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work is mind-numbingly boring and will not challenge you in any way intellectually. If you like repetitive, non-challenging work, this will be great.

I ended up working remote, and that at least got rid of the commute, which is convenient.

There are a few really nice people in this company.

Cons

First off, if you came to Glassdoor after seeing their job postings on Craigslist, you are a smart person. That being said I will get straight to it. there is very very high turnover for this company. I researched this before coming in and witnessed it when I was there. Why? They will tell you that there are many 20-somethings in their company that want to move on with their lives to do bigger things. This is a total euphemism. People leave because the company is not run well--simple as that.

The nature of the job is high stress and low compensation. You will constantly have to scramble for doctors on tight deadlines. When doctors are not available and you are in charge of the case, the blame goes on you. In addition, there is both a productivity and quality scoring system that you are worried about during all 8 hours of your shift. There is a paradox that occurs in this system--you must maintain good quality, but also need to push out as many reviews as possible. This is happening all in the midst of utter chaos in finding doctors to review the case on extremely tight deadlines.

You will also constantly get yelled at by both doctors and insurance companies for things outside of your control--a missed deadline due to the unavailability of a doctor, someone higher up who did not check your review, etc.

Lastly, the company culture is terribly apathetic and boring. When I was in the office, I found co-workers to hang in cliques, be uncooperative, and just plain boring. This is spurred by the management's lack of interest in its employees. We were just productivity and quality score numbers. Oh and one of the CEO's is always running, literally running, around the office like everything is an emergency.

But by far the worst part is that I have witnessed many unethical (and most likely illegal) practices. I have witnessed medical insurance companies attempting to intervene in an "unbiased" third-party review in order to get the outcome they want (denial of a case, so that they do not have to pay for treatment). The management was fully aware of this and intentionally catered to the insurance company on multiple occasions. This is highly unethical and immoral. I will definitely be whistleblowing this company.

I found myself going home every day thinking about how badly I felt working for an evil healthcare giant preying off of patient's misery in order to make money from insurance companies. This is the nature of this business and this company. I had depression when I worked here and needed treatment. If that doesn't deter you, than I don't know what will. I would have rather worked at a fast food chain, having done an honest day's work.

I would say: reorganize how the whole review process works; your competitors are better than you. Care about your employees more than money for once. Respect the people that are working for you. But, that being said, I don't think anything can save this company at this point. It will continue to be a multi-million dollar business that is sitting on its employee's backs and taking advantage of patients.

Your company is one of the reasons why the healthcare system in the U.S. is so wrong.

Okay place to work

Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-You can work remotely if you perform well and move out of LA
    -Lots of young/fun people
    -Great area
    -Work gets really easy over time

Cons

-Traffic is terrible if you don't live close
    -High turnover rate of employees
    -Management doesn't care about individuals due to everyone being replaceable

Listen to your employees more

Okay for short term

Current Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company offers health, vision, and dental insurance. They also offer 401K after a year of employment with up to 3% match. Everyone is around the same age, typically 20-somethings. Great for a first job out of college.

Cons

Very little growth opportunities in the company and high turn-over. Management has not done a lot to deal with employee satisfaction. Morale can also be low.

Reward the valuable employees who do good work.

Job will help pay your bills, but not offer much else in terms of personal/professional growth and satisfaction.

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company for work life balance - come in at 8 leave at 5 without pressure to work long hours. Also offered sick/vacation time, 401K, and health benefits.

Cons

There is not much room for advancement/long term career opportunities so if you take a job here plan on staying for a year or two and then looking for a another job in new company if you want to advance (both in title/responsibility and pay). Senior leadership is not good about recognizing which are the true high-quality employees that drive the organization forward which leads to a culture of feeling undervalued.