Advanced Medical Reviews

Okay place to work

Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time for more than a year

Pros

-You can work remotely if you perform well and move out of LA
    -Lots of young/fun people
    -Great area
    -Work gets really easy over time

Cons

-Traffic is terrible if you don't live close
    -High turnover rate of employees
    -Management doesn't care about individuals due to everyone being replaceable

Listen to your employees more

Its okay, if you prefer dead end.

Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time for more than a year

Pros

-working remotely
    -great, fun , and young co-workers
    -nice locations
    -the work is easy

Cons

-poor management
    -almost impossible goals for promotion
    -low pay
    -employees are not respected by management
    -no monetary incentives
    -raises usually range from 30 to 60 cents per year
    -you are awarded mostly with breakfast
    -the work is easy, but not inspiring
    -no room for growth
    -management does not care about keeping you as an employee
    -very high turnover rate, management has said they are okay with this

Management does not care about advice.

Stay away... At all costs. Menial labor is more honorable and fulfilling than this.

Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work is mind-numbingly boring and will not challenge you in any way intellectually. If you like repetitive, non-challenging work, this will be great.

I ended up working remote, and that at least got rid of the commute, which is convenient.

There are a few really nice people in this company.

Cons

First off, if you came to Glassdoor after seeing their job postings on Craigslist, you are a smart person. That being said I will get straight to it. there is very very high turnover for this company. I researched this before coming in and witnessed it when I was there. Why? They will tell you that there are many 20-somethings in their company that want to move on with their lives to do bigger things. This is a total euphemism. People leave because the company is not run well--simple as that.

The nature of the job is high stress and low compensation. You will constantly have to scramble for doctors on tight deadlines. When doctors are not available and you are in charge of the case, the blame goes on you. In addition, there is both a productivity and quality scoring system that you are worried about during all 8 hours of your shift. There is a paradox that occurs in this system--you must maintain good quality, but also need to push out as many reviews as possible. This is happening all in the midst of utter chaos in finding doctors to review the case on extremely tight deadlines.

You will also constantly get yelled at by both doctors and insurance companies for things outside of your control--a missed deadline due to the unavailability of a doctor, someone higher up who did not check your review, etc.

Lastly, the company culture is terribly apathetic and boring. When I was in the office, I found co-workers to hang in cliques, be uncooperative, and just plain boring. This is spurred by the management's lack of interest in its employees. We were just productivity and quality score numbers. Oh and one of the CEO's is always running, literally running, around the office like everything is an emergency.

But by far the worst part is that I have witnessed many unethical (and most likely illegal) practices. I have witnessed medical insurance companies attempting to intervene in an "unbiased" third-party review in order to get the outcome they want (denial of a case, so that they do not have to pay for treatment). The management was fully aware of this and intentionally catered to the insurance company on multiple occasions. This is highly unethical and immoral. I will definitely be whistleblowing this company.

I found myself going home every day thinking about how badly I felt working for an evil healthcare giant preying off of patient's misery in order to make money from insurance companies. This is the nature of this business and this company. I had depression when I worked here and needed treatment. If that doesn't deter you, than I don't know what will. I would have rather worked at a fast food chain, having done an honest day's work.

I would say: reorganize how the whole review process works; your competitors are better than you. Care about your employees more than money for once. Respect the people that are working for you. But, that being said, I don't think anything can save this company at this point. It will continue to be a multi-million dollar business that is sitting on its employee's backs and taking advantage of patients.

Your company is one of the reasons why the healthcare system in the U.S. is so wrong.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay for short term

Current Employee - Medical Review Coordinator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company offers health, vision, and dental insurance. They also offer 401K after a year of employment with up to 3% match. Everyone is around the same age, typically 20-somethings. Great for a first job out of college.

Cons

Very little growth opportunities in the company and high turn-over. Management has not done a lot to deal with employee satisfaction. Morale can also be low.

Reward the valuable employees who do good work.

Job will help pay your bills, but not offer much else in terms of personal/professional growth and satisfaction.

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company for work life balance - come in at 8 leave at 5 without pressure to work long hours. Also offered sick/vacation time, 401K, and health benefits.

Cons

There is not much room for advancement/long term career opportunities so if you take a job here plan on staying for a year or two and then looking for a another job in new company if you want to advance (both in title/responsibility and pay). Senior leadership is not good about recognizing which are the true high-quality employees that drive the organization forward which leads to a culture of feeling undervalued.

Overall, A Great Place to Work.

Former Employee - Associate Vice President of Business Development  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Vice President of Business Development in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, state-of-the-art technology. Brilliant managing partners. Challenging workplace.

Cons

Operations morale suffers due to sweatshop mentality, long hours and low pay. Multiple former sales executives have cases pending with the State of California for non-payment of final wages. Poor work/life balance.

AMR hired a dismal VP of Sales a few years back that caused multiple employees to resign and work for competitors. AMR's failure to listen to its employees causes resentment and morale issues. On the other hand, AMR's technology is truly advanced and offers terrific value and all of the employees see that. AMR can't possibly offer enough recognition to top performers.

Very, very low morale makes this a tough workplace to recommend

Current Employee - Medical Review Coordinator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time for more than a year

Pros

Once you are trained, you work with a fair amount of autonomy. If you need to move away or take a trip of some kind, they will let you work remotely. The office itself is stressful, so working remotely is a good way to increase employee satisfaction and retention -- I'm glad that's something they allow.

Cons

Sparse vacation and sick time. There is very high turnover of employees. Management has a way of being highly condescending to employees. Reasonable vacation and sick time requests are routinely denied. The system that we have of peer-grading of work lends itself to antagonistic work relationships. There is poor morale all around.

Reward your best employees so that you keep them for the long-term. Dismiss employees who do not perform rather than carving out silly little niches for them that don't serve the company's goals.

Stressful job where you are underpaid and underappreciated

Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator  in  West Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in West Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time for less than a year

Pros

They organize many after-work social events, benefits are offered, good comraderie between coworkers, casual dress code.

Cons

Management lacks leadership ability, extremely high turnover rate, stressful work environment, your work is constantly monitored electronically, it is very difficult to move up or advance, the pay is quite low, management doesn't trust their employees to make decisions, no autonomy or empowerment.

Reward your standouts to promote retention and improve job satisfaction. Give employees the autonomy to make decisions and take responsibility for their work. Don't talk down to the staff or treat them like children.

Experience was a complete disappointment. No training or support offered

Former Employee - Commodity Manager  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Commodity Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flight benefits for all employees

Cons

No training was provided during onboarding, management was not honest about work environment

Provide ongoing training to management positions and track employee turnover. Identify managers in all aspects of company that would benefit from interpersonal training, starting with HDQ.

Changing

I have been working at Advanced Medical Reviews

Pros

Atonomy, Advancement to a degree, plenty of time off.

Cons

Bonus almost never, always in financial distress.

Pay and upgrade the correct individuals, and support longevity.

Worked for Advanced Medical Reviews? Contribute to the Community!