Advanced Medical Reviews

Add Photos

Eytan Alpern, MD and Barak Mevorak, MD

Okay place to work

Medical Review Coordinator (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-You can work remotely if you perform well and move out of LA
    -Lots of young/fun people
    -Great area
    -Work gets really easy over time

Cons-Traffic is terrible if you don't live close
    -High turnover rate of employees
    -Management doesn't care about individuals due to everyone being replaceable

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more

Stay away... At all costs. Menial labor is more honorable and fulfilling than this.

Medical Review Coordinator (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsWork is mind-numbingly boring and will not challenge you in any way intellectually. If you like repetitive, non-challenging work, this will be great.

I ended up working remote, and that at least got rid of the commute, which is convenient.

There are a few really nice people in this company.

ConsFirst off, if you came to Glassdoor after seeing their job postings on Craigslist, you are a smart person. That being said I will get straight to it. there is very very high turnover for this company. I researched this before coming in and witnessed it when I was there. Why? They will tell you that there are many 20-somethings in their company that want to move on with their lives to do bigger things. This is a total euphemism. People leave because the company is not run well--simple as that.

The nature of the job is high stress and low compensation. You will constantly have to scramble for doctors on tight deadlines. When doctors are not available and you are in charge of the case, the blame goes on you. In addition, there is both a productivity and quality scoring system that you are worried about during all 8 hours of your shift. There is a paradox that occurs in this system--you must maintain good quality, but also need to push out as many reviews as possible. This is happening all in the midst of utter chaos in finding doctors to review the case on extremely tight deadlines.

You will also constantly get yelled at by both doctors and insurance companies for things outside of your control--a missed deadline due to the unavailability of a doctor, someone higher up who did not check your review, etc.

Lastly, the company culture is terribly apathetic and boring. When I was in the office, I found co-workers to hang in cliques, be uncooperative, and just plain boring. This is spurred by the management's lack of interest in its employees. We were just productivity and quality score numbers. Oh and one of the CEO's is always running, literally running, around the office like everything is an emergency.

But by far the worst part is that I have witnessed many unethical (and most likely illegal) practices. I have witnessed medical insurance companies attempting to intervene in an "unbiased" third-party review in order to get the outcome they want (denial of a case, so that they do not have to pay for treatment). The management was fully aware of this and intentionally catered to the insurance company on multiple occasions. This is highly unethical and immoral. I will definitely be whistleblowing this company.

I found myself going home every day thinking about how badly I felt working for an evil healthcare giant preying off of patient's misery in order to make money from insurance companies. This is the nature of this business and this company. I had depression when I worked here and needed treatment. If that doesn't deter you, than I don't know what will. I would have rather worked at a fast food chain, having done an honest day's work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say: reorganize how the whole review process works; your competitors are better than you. Care about your employees more than money for once. Respect the people that are working for you. But, that being said, I don't think anything can save this company at this point. It will continue to be a multi-million dollar business that is sitting on its employee's backs and taking advantage of patients.

Your company is one of the reasons why the healthcare system in the U.S. is so wrong.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Okay for short term

Medical Review Coordinator (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe company offers health, vision, and dental insurance. They also offer 401K after a year of employment with up to 3% match. Everyone is around the same age, typically 20-somethings. Great for a first job out of college.

ConsVery little growth opportunities in the company and high turn-over. Management has not done a lot to deal with employee satisfaction. Morale can also be low.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the valuable employees who do good work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Job will help pay your bills, but not offer much else in terms of personal/professional growth and satisfaction.

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood company for work life balance - come in at 8 leave at 5 without pressure to work long hours. Also offered sick/vacation time, 401K, and health benefits.

ConsThere is not much room for advancement/long term career opportunities so if you take a job here plan on staying for a year or two and then looking for a another job in new company if you want to advance (both in title/responsibility and pay). Senior leadership is not good about recognizing which are the true high-quality employees that drive the organization forward which leads to a culture of feeling undervalued.

Overall, A Great Place to Work.

Associate Vice President of Business Development (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat people, state-of-the-art technology. Brilliant managing partners. Challenging workplace.

ConsOperations morale suffers due to sweatshop mentality, long hours and low pay. Multiple former sales executives have cases pending with the State of California for non-payment of final wages. Poor work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementAMR hired a dismal VP of Sales a few years back that caused multiple employees to resign and work for competitors. AMR's failure to listen to its employees causes resentment and morale issues. On the other hand, AMR's technology is truly advanced and offers terrific value and all of the employees see that. AMR can't possibly offer enough recognition to top performers.

Very, very low morale makes this a tough workplace to recommend

Medical Review Coordinator (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsOnce you are trained, you work with a fair amount of autonomy. If you need to move away or take a trip of some kind, they will let you work remotely. The office itself is stressful, so working remotely is a good way to increase employee satisfaction and retention -- I'm glad that's something they allow.

ConsSparse vacation and sick time. There is very high turnover of employees. Management has a way of being highly condescending to employees. Reasonable vacation and sick time requests are routinely denied. The system that we have of peer-grading of work lends itself to antagonistic work relationships. There is poor morale all around.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your best employees so that you keep them for the long-term. Dismiss employees who do not perform rather than carving out silly little niches for them that don't serve the company's goals.

Stressful job where you are underpaid and underappreciated

Medical Review Coordinator (Former Employee) West Los Angeles, CA

ProsThey organize many after-work social events, benefits are offered, good comraderie between coworkers, casual dress code.

ConsManagement lacks leadership ability, extremely high turnover rate, stressful work environment, your work is constantly monitored electronically, it is very difficult to move up or advance, the pay is quite low, management doesn't trust their employees to make decisions, no autonomy or empowerment.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your standouts to promote retention and improve job satisfaction. Give employees the autonomy to make decisions and take responsibility for their work. Don't talk down to the staff or treat them like children.

Experience was a complete disappointment. No training or support offered

Commodity Manager (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsFlight benefits for all employees

ConsNo training was provided during onboarding, management was not honest about work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide ongoing training to management positions and track employee turnover. Identify managers in all aspects of company that would benefit from interpersonal training, starting with HDQ.

Changing

ProsAtonomy, Advancement to a degree, plenty of time off.

ConsBonus almost never, always in financial distress.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay and upgrade the correct individuals, and support longevity.

Kindergarten of the working world - Fun, very little stress, pays poorly

Medical Review Coordinator (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsNo pressure - the company is built around reviewing claims for medical reimbursement. In plain English: 95% of the time this means haggling over who should pay for what already happened months ago. Very little inherent urgency to the work and I never slept poorly from stress or worried about work over the weekend.

Very flexible schedule - if you need to get time off it is usually not a problem. Everybody processes cases from the same common pool of work; thus, it is not like a job where you are the point person and a project gets slowed down if you have to miss work. Note, your expendability in this regard is also your greatest downfall.

Awesome coworkers and environment - the vast majority of workers at the company are 20-somethings in between college and future graduate/professional school in the health sciences. Over half of us were planning/in the process of applying to nursing/medical/dental/pharmacy school etc or many other programs. Most people stick around for a couple years and then move on to bigger and better things.

ConsAs above, your expendability keeps pressure off you but unless you pile on additional responsibilities, your base role is easily replaceable. This problem was most acute when it came down to pay - $14/$15 per hour is not very much for living in west LA and the talent that the people bring with them to the job. I honestly shrugged this off though until it came time for annual raises, which in 2010 were about 35 - 40 cents per hour for most of us. That didn't even keep up with cost-of-living. No excuse for such a fast-growing company.

Additionally, there were some dubious ethics - I am not in an expert position to expound but there was enough misrepresentation to the clients that one of my good friends at the company decided to give up her job there with no real back-up plan and resign in ethical protest.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up any ethical issues...or even the perception of such in the eyes of your young workers. Higher wages would be nice, but word of advice: never stiff someone with a 35 cent raise in Los Angeles while the company is doing well, or you will force them to re-evaluate how they are to spend their limited daily mental energy and resources.

Worked for Advanced Medical Reviews? Contribute to the Community!