Advanced Semiconductor Engineering

Jason C. S. Chang

Working environment is challenging

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Advanced Semiconductor Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Grab alot of experience.fresh grad encourage to exposure

Cons

long working time.salary not comparable.

Great company but I would question working there

I worked at Advanced Semiconductor Engineering

Pros

Great way to see the entire semiconductor industry and manufacturing
    Freedom to pursue opportunities
    Great people worldwide

Cons

Compensation is poor
    Lack of advancement, career paths
    Glass ceiling for non-Taiwanese employees

Need better career growth for employees

Not a good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Advanced Semiconductor Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you just wanna have income to support your living expense in USA, you probably can work with this company.

Cons

1. low pay and the company will raise your salary per year. if you stay in the company for a long time (around 2 years), then the company is willing to give you promotion not because your working ability just because they think you will stay in the company for a long time.
    2. no career path: if you want to have your career path, then this company is not the right place for you.
    3. people in management role focus on superficial issues and they do not think the fundamental root problems that burden everyone. for example, you can not believe that the company do not have any software system for employees. everyone use excel to run any data(probably thousand data). can you image that? how long the process takes??
    4. the company in usa want to hire you just because you may need working permit in here. This is they think you are "stable" enough!!!

Overall

I have been working at Advanced Semiconductor Engineering full-time

Pros

1. Growing business
    2. Growing job opportunity
    3. Flexible working environment
    4. Great environment for learning and building career growth in semiconductor industry

Cons

1. High competition environment
    2. Outsource service provider - not a product company

pretty bad place to work

Current Employee - Account Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Advanced Semiconductor Engineering full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

people in management rarely criticize you because everyone knows you are too busy to do anything right

Cons

1. low pay
    2. no career advancement. people that left ase in the past are coming back, not because this company is getting better but because they can't find better jobs. people that stick around know they can't find better jobs.
    3. people in management focus on superficial issues instead of the obvious fundamental root problems that burden everyone.
    4. management's altitude. for a company that provides manufacturing service to most high tech companies in the world, is it weird that the management always talks about market share and never about customer service?
    5. no it infrastructure. people in the sales office spend at least 30% of their time doing something that computers have been doing in other companies for a long time. ase's it infrastructure is 10 times worse than many much smaller companies.
    6. no training. refer back to point 5. ase's management wants you to work but not to get better and more efficient at your work. sounds weird but very true. the result is point 2.

resignation and suicide are definitely at the top of my advice list. but how about just hire some real professionals into the management and get everyone's act together?

Sr Account Manager

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Advanced Semiconductor Engineering full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Have chance to travel a lot for biz trip

Cons

unstable environment with changing rules

Responsible for leading the teams of engineers in the introduction and high volume manufacturing (HVM) of semiconductor

Current Employee - Test Engineering Manager in Bayan Lepas (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Test Engineering Manager in Bayan Lepas (Malaysia)

I have been working at Advanced Semiconductor Engineering full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There multliple test platform (ATE) that you can get experiences. Able to gain knowledge on semiconductor testing for digital, mixed signal & RF product.

Cons

Work life is not balance at all. Always in standby mode 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Penang's Management need revised current compensation & benefit to employee including work-life balance.

Exiting times at a leading Semiconductor back-end Taiwanese subcontractor.

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Advanced Semiconductor Engineering full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Team diversity and drive are really motivating, ASE definitly does not hire clones of their existing employees and I found that the most performing peers among my team were in fact outstanding individuals. The evolving technology environment, ASE is always willing to capture and grow there technology leadership in the market and this allows for employee to work on hot new trends quite often. Because the semiconductor is a truely international industry, trips to the factories in Asia or the customers are to be expected.Finally despite being new to the industry when I joined, the management entrusted me to take decisions and rewarded autonomy.

Cons

I did get a feeling of a glass ceiling for non-taiwanese because most senior management share this and some corporate events were Taiwan only gatherings even if this was not a written rule. Personally got frustrated with the fact that bonus was discretionary to department head. Is is really hard to correlate bonus to performance (KPI) which feels quite unfair.

Company culture is very clearly stated to employees and the company gatherings are true team builders. I sincerely appreciated these events and I hope these will be kept. My main concerns had to do with retribution of performance and career planing visibility at ASE yet I probably could have done more do benefit from the existing structures had I been more patient.

satisfying, helps my family in terms of financial.

Current Contractor - Final Vsiual Inspectio in Kaohsiung (Taiwan)
    Current Contractor - Final Vsiual Inspectio in Kaohsiung (Taiwan)

I have been working at Advanced Semiconductor Engineering as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

the leaders, employees are good and we have the best environment

Cons

sometimes there.s no overtim, in our case as a contractual and foreign workers, we really need overtime.

provide training to leaders and assistant leaders of the production.

My Job Experience in ASE

Current Employee - Operator in Kaohsiung (Taiwan)
    Current Employee - Operator in Kaohsiung (Taiwan)

I have been working at Advanced Semiconductor Engineering full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its a great experience working with this company..

Cons

Has a tiring shift where you have 2 shift 2 turn kind of working.

No advise. Just keep it up.