Advanced Solutions International

4.3
Bob Alves

1. They treat employees right

I have been working at Advanced Solutions International full-time

Pros

ASI knows how to treat employees right: working here is fun, it's a good salary, we get a lot of time off so we can have a life outside of work, and there are a lot of opportunities to learn new things and move around to other roles if you want to.

Cons

There are not many cons that I can think of. It seems like the biggest complaint I hear is that the developers can no longer exclusively work from home, but I actually think that it makes sense. People seem to collaborate better face to face.

2. Good job mobility

I worked at Advanced Solutions International (more than a year)

Pros

they utilize cutting edge technology

Cons

no strong cons - perhaps have more frequent employee reviews

Advice to Management

more regular staff reviews

3. They have such low turnover, socializing new employees in any tech department becomes a challenge.

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Advanced Solutions International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great community, pretty solid product, good infrastructure for testing

Cons

The summary sentence kind of says it all. I got a lot of training, but not the training I needed to do the job I needed to do with the part of the application I was working on. So it left me lost and them disappointed.

Advice to Management

If you have a plan for what the new employee is going to test, given the complexity of the application, you need to focus your socialization efforts on what they will be required to do. Don't focus so much on all the other stuff that they may not touch especially in the short term.

5. Great place, staff-focused, noble work

I have been working at Advanced Solutions International full-time

Pros

Business purpose is to provide software that helps nonprofits be more effective in their work; CEO conducts quarterly conference calls for all staff to get status on company plans, finances, etc; overall really cool people who are mutually supportive.

Cons

Staff always feeling some general stress from economic impact on the company's business market and from rapidly changing technology/competition - constant pressure to do more faster! But management works with staff to keep it in balance.

Advice to Management

Keep up current habit of keeping staff informed about marketplace, economic implications, competitors, current company status, future plans.

6. Fair Agile work environment with internal advancement, hampered by legacy code bases

I have been working at Advanced Solutions International

Pros

Reasonable work hours, benefits; large number of long-term employees and high rate of women in technical positions. Agile processes and SCRUM teams are well established.

Cons

Strategic direction and emphasis flip-flops; management over-commits so that critical product initiatives undercut each other. Poor planning for scaling up for cross-department commitments.

Advice to Management

Establish set of architects to guide cross-team, cross-product development of database, API, content, and UX; grant Agile teams full freedom to determine their processes.

7. Great place to work!

I have been working at Advanced Solutions International

Pros

They make sure we have a good life balance and celebrations to mark milestones. Because it is a private company, we focus on long-term strategies instead of shareholder return for the quarter.

Cons

Goals and strategies change frequently or are not effectively communicated with teams.
    Many production employees would prefer to work at home.

Advice to Management

Document strategic decisions clearly, communicate to teams, don't chase every shiny distraction.

Advanced Solutions International Photos