Advanced Technology Services

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Jeff Owens

Pros
  • Decent pay especially for people right out of school (in 3 reviews)

• Great people on the same sinking ship (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Advancement opportunities can require relocation to other sites (in 4 reviews)

• ATS is heavily tied to Caterpillar (in 2 reviews)

1. Maintenance Specialist with 13 years at ATS

Current Employee - Maintenance Specialist in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Maintenance Specialist in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company for highly motivated and self starting individuals.

Cons

Not a good company for people who want to continually find excuses for not succeeding.

Advice to Management

Upper management could do a little better communicating business plans to the ATS employees.

IT Services

Former Employee - Help Desk Representative in Peoria, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

(2009) Despite a very rough economy, the Helpdesk was a very nice place to work. Workers were able to take their job seriously and also enjoy helping the customer. Every dollar was well justified and cost savings were taken seriously, not just for A.T.S. but for the customer. With the available customers and contracts at that time, I can honestly say, things were running at their absolute peak performance for the workforce available. Professionalism was a big deal and it was maintained for around a year or two.

The Non-IT sides of the company runs like a well oiled machine and are growing at amazing rates. I strongly recommend those areas and can assure you, the A.T.S. culture is that of high importance and are all good job and life values.

Cons

Office Politics, advancement, and grudges! Advancement was a good thing at the time, but often left huge rifts in the processes, examples, and departments. Many good managers moved on to better things, but those whom advanced within did not stay because they were not respected or "were not a good fit". Many issues seemed to spring from separation and culture from other I.T. locations. (3) There are some serious issues with retaliation and protection. You could not speak up without fear of losing your job. Many managers whom protected their employees and challenged high level authority to protect their employees were removed from service and in some cases removed all together.

From my understanding this is currently being managed, and H.R. is taking a better stance, but at the time it was an issue.

Advice to Management

Balance of V.P. level politics are not uniform. Some V.P. management issues are causing mis-communication, confusing middle management into the wrong decisions, and derailing the Helpdesk. Jeff Owens and Richard Blaudow set a good example, but in between there were some gray areas. H.R. and Management needs to get a better stance on mediating issues internally and externally for all customers.

I strongly believe satisfaction surveys need to be done every six months, and if there is even a hint of a problem, they need to be followed up on every month until the issue is discovered. Retaliation was a big concern. Never really felt protected if your voice had to be heard. In my case I feel it marked my exit

3. Good stepping stone.

Current Employee - Engineer in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can get the opportunity to work at a company that you might not normally have a opportunity to work for.

Cons

Pay is usually not comparable and you are usually the first to go in bad times.

An OK Starter job

Former Employee - Help Desk Representative in Peoria, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services (Less than a year)

Pros

They give you many opportunities to learn many different things. The Benefits are pretty good all things considered

Cons

The salaries are very low, there is little room for advancement and they expect Help Desk Personnel to do Systems Administration work for a salary that is barely acceptable for a Help Desk person

Advice to Management

Start paying the Help desk and other IT personnel better

Descent company but needs improvement with its employee relations.

Current Employee - Help Desk Representative in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Help Desk Representative in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The IT support are good hardworking people. Good experience for future IT related jobs. The job seems very stable for contract work. For a short term job it fits the bill perfect. Management is very helpful in assisting its employees.

Cons

The pay compared to other IT jobs in the area is under what it should be. The employees are ran like dogs to make up for the lack of proper staffing. If i could sum up the problems you would run into with this company,with one word that would be "micromanaged.The company will claim it is to improve performance but it's an excuse for nitpicking at your job.
     I am sure most companies are like this to a greater or lesser degree but the constant "its not good enough group emails get old really fast. The advancement from entry level is almost non-existant.

7. I was exposed to a wide variety of technologies both old and new.

Former Employee - Senior Maintenance Tech in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Maintenance Tech in Peoria, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career opportunity and opportunity for growth

Cons

potential for frequent moves to far flung areas of tghe country

Advice to Management

consider the affects of frequent moves on our families

8. ATS empowers it employees to contribute leading to great success

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Peoria, IL

Pros

Empowerment, ownership, decent incentive package

Cons

Contract employment volatility from fluctuations in the economy

9. Great growing company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Top notch safety program, great growth opportunity, outstanding future

Cons

People don't understand that we're not a staffing company and confuse us with other companies with the ATS acronym.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Senior Tech in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Tech in Peoria, IL

Pros

Competitive pay, decent benefits, layoffs based on performance not seniority

Cons

none that I can think of

Advice to Management

Pay is competitive however there are still many local companies willing to pay more to acquire our talent

Good business model, depressing culture

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Peoria, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place for those you want a career in the manufacturing industry. Company has appeared to find its niche with its "we make factories run better" motif. Should have a steady stream of revenue as long as Caterpillar doesn't go belly up.

Cons

TONS of turnover, probably for a variety of reasons. Management is solely concerned with the bottom line and survival, leaving has little room for employees' personal growth. The majority of individuals in management I worked with were ineffectual and petty, and related poorly with those they worked with and supervised. The general vibe of most employees was rather depressed.

Advice to Management

Need to give employees the sense that they have ownership in their career development, or at least map out a path for personal and professional growth that employees can get behind. As an aside, Blaudow probably could do without pushing his Christianity on his employees (didn't bother me so much, but DID bother plenty of agnostic and non-Christian employees...can't imagine that's a good thing)

RSS Feed </> Embed