Advanced Testing Laboratory

No incentive for improvement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH

I worked at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

(Note: I was a contractor at one of ATL's major clients. Direct hires or hires at a different company may have a completely different experience).

They are always hiring so if your background is in the right area it's really easy to get hired. The company is a great resume booster for a few years out of school while you look for a "real" job. The schedule was completely flexible and I was able to move my hours to exactly when I needed them. All of the other employees were nice and friendly and there was no drama.

Cons

There is little to no room for advancement. From the time I started I was doing work completely above and beyond what I was hired to do, and getting any more money was like pulling teeth. I was eventually told that I would be placed at a higher level to represent the work I was doing; the move took 6 months, I got half the raise they said I would get (which was already half as much as I thought I needed), and when I finally got the raise it wasn't retroactive to represent all the time I spent doing the higher rate work, let alone the time I spent simply waiting for the rate increase in the first place. I ended up leaving for another company as a full-time employee making significantly more than I ever would have at ATL.

I feel like I was a very valued employee to the client company. If you want to make your clients happy, make your employees happy.

Technician

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory for more than 3 years

Pros

Advanced Testing labs sends there employees to different locations. At my location I hardly ever here from them, and my manager is very flexible. They gave me a great opportunity to learn.

Cons

Not a lot of vacation. Have to pay to bring spouse to holiday party. There are absolutely no advancement opportunity. Pay raises are only approximately 3% per year.

Advanced Testing Laboratory is a good opportunity for entry-level professionals in need of experience.

Former Employee - Technician  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. I was told to work 37.5 hours per week (30 minutes of on the clock breaks/day).
    2. I really, really needed a job.
    3. Good experience working when I really, really needed experience.

Cons

Because the pay is pretty low, "middle management" was composed of 27-year old employees. They seemed to have been promoted to management for working at Advanced Testing Labs for several years and demonstrating competency in their job - not demonstrating genuine managerial skill.

I received very little direction from my direct manager (a "middle manager"); as a result, when I was promoted, I was dysfunctional, too. I was literally told to "talk about things like their important, because then people will think they are important." In hindsight, I now understand why I would leave meetings with my boss having felt like the things we discussed were very important, even though I couldn't figure out what I could or should do differently.

My manager's un-professionalism is the only truly disappointing part of working at Advanced Testing Labs. It's understandable that some managers lack experience or knowledge; but her language and the way she described other employees was very, very inappropriate. I noted those things on my exit interview, but I'm not sure if they were taken seriously, or if they were ignored because I only said them upon leaving.

Overall, the workforce is largely young and immature. (Note that I was one of them - so I don't claim superiority.)

Remember that your employees will be as skilled as you make them. If you need to invest in training, and decrease your profits, you will create a workforce that has experience and wants to stay instead of go. You will need to pay them more and improve the insurance offering, too.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company if you like the contractor workstyle

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Advanced Testing Laboratory as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

good lower management, connected with great fortune 500 companies

Cons

little opportunity for promotion, crappy pay as contractor

Good people at Indy site, but just a holding pattern for your career if you have experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Advanced Testing Laboratory as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I loved the people I worked with at my sponsor company - but I had very little interaction with ATL/ATMG employees.

Whenever I asked for time off, I received it. I never had to work any more than 40 hours and I could make my own schedule of hours. I came in early morning and was done by 3pm. Very good work-life balance for my position.

Cons

Pay - The contractors I knew with a family, had to work part-time jobs in addition to full-time with ATL/ATMG to support their family. These are people with college degrees and some with graduate degrees. No one could afford their own rent in Indianapolis. I thought it was just me who needed a roommate, but at the Christmas party several of the employees were also roommates with each other.

Benefits - No employer contribution to health insurance. I didn't realize this until I got my COBRA offer. 401k enrollment didn't kick in until I had been there 9 months, so I didn't qualify for the 2yr wait-period for the employer contribution (matched 5% of up to 3% of my salary, aka max of $45/yr.) The dental insurance costs more a year than a cleaning and didn't cover a co-worker's crown work, so I didn't purchase it. Eye coverage is worth it though (if you don't have 20/20).

Raises - Raises are capped at 4% - so NEGOTIATE when you're HIRED. I didn't do a good job at this. I was offered $14/hr negotiated to $15/hr and later found out that Covance would pay me $17-22/hr for a similar position. Look up what Covance is offering for the equivalent position - don't expect to be paid that well, but use it to better estimate your value. (Ex: ATL might have paid $17/hr but never $20+)

PTO - I personally found the PTO appalling. You get 10 days per year of PTO. If you want to be paid during the sponsor company's annual four-day "shut down", you have to save your PTO for that. What that means to you is all together you have 80hrs to be sick, shut down pay, go on vacation, and attend other life appointments (doctor, car repair, etc). Basically this functionally translates into going to work sick because you don't want to lose your 6 days of vacation. PLUS SIDE - they do roll over if you don't use it all, so the next year you could have more PTO time.

Advancement - My HR seemed to be looking for other placements, but were limited by the sponsor's openings. Overall, this is a place to work and make money if you want to live in Indianapolis and are neutral about your career. It isn't a very good company to stay with if you're ambitious and the sponsor company is 'tightening its belt' with limited opportunities with them available. If you have no work experience, it's a good place to gain some - but for me it was just a holding pattern.

Security - My sponsor company renewed contracts annually - aka the week before Christmas. You never really knew for sure until that time if you had a job the next year. ATL/ATMG reassures you with a "we'll find a place for you" - but it could definitely be a step down on the career ladder if they're faced with that. However, they don't want to pay unemployment ("lean management") so they're not likely to lay you off if you have kids and want that security knowledge.

Confidentiality Agreement - You can't have both ATL/ATMG on your resume AND the sponsor company at which you were place. However, no one cares about ATL/ATMG on your resume but the sponsor company name has some pull. You end up being torn between being honest and not sending up red flags on a background check and actually having someone pay attention to your resume. I have settled on careful wording like "a contractor placed with " sponsor company. (Most people just ignore the agreement all together.)

Something you might actually listen to: offer 80hrs PTO plus three sick days a year. You don't really want to send sick people into the types of workplaces you serve. If you're worried about abuse, have an unwritten policy that managers can send people home with pay (a couple times a year) if they're too sick to really be there.

Can I rate zero stars?

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

Contract employees working at Fortune 500 company have the potential to gain good industry experience. A few good analysts.

Cons

Very low pay. Nepotism. No chance for advancement.

Stop pretending that you care about you employees. You aren't fooling anyone.

Not a bad place to work depending on your priorities

Current Employee - Biologist III  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Biologist III in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good coworkers mostly. Can get some really good work experience depending on where you end up. If the contract changes and you have been a good employee they will move you to another open position instead of letting you go.

Cons

Leadership is basically a joke. Managers have no idea what on contract site employees do for their jobs so the personal development reviews are meaningless. Speaking of PDRs, they never get done on time, EVER! It can take up to a year for a review to get done, which means getting a raise up to a year late with retro pay back to anniversary date. There is always a lot of talk about cross training and opportunities but these things never come to fruition.

Management should lead by example, if any employee were to be late getting their responsibilities completed they would have some reprimand. There should be no excuse for management to never accomplish a review on time.

mid level

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Ash, OH

I worked at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing positive about this company

Cons

The two leaders don't know how to lead or manage, they are there for themselves only. They like the negativity and reinforce it. The building is a disgrace..

Sell the company or get out of it. Majority of associates are looking to leave at all levels.

Please read these reviews...do not take a job here!

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you can't find a job anywhere else... then take a job here....but certainly continue to look. This job is good for someone starting out who doesn't care much about pay or benefits.

Cons

This company does not care about it's employees. Turn over is very high. They anticipate you staying about a year and welcome when people leave so they don't have to give raises. They also "replace" alot of people. They pay is low and the benefits are the worst I have seen - especially if you have a family.

Some of the managers are very nice but direction comes from the top down. The owner is not people focused...he is a scientist and therefore...employees...the back bone of the company... are not treated very well. There are alot of unhappy people here. Please don't make the mistake of taking a job here.

Great first job out of college

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had great supervisors and mentors and I loved the flexible schedule my job allowed. It was a good job for someone right out of college with only a few internships worth of experience.

Cons

The pay was quite low and there was little room for advancement within the company.

Worked for Advanced Testing Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!