Advanced Testing Laboratory

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

2.0

Greg Neal

Good company if you like the contractor workstyle

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

good lower management, connected with great fortune 500 companies

Cons

little opportunity for promotion, crappy pay as contractor

Good people at Indy site, but just a holding pattern for your career if you have experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

I loved the people I worked with at my sponsor company - but I had very little interaction with ATL/ATMG employees.

Whenever I asked for time off, I received it. I never had to work any more than 40 hours and I could make my own schedule of hours. I came in early morning and was done by 3pm. Very good work-life balance for my position.

Cons

Pay - The contractors I knew with a family, had to work part-time jobs in addition to full-time with ATL/ATMG to support their family. These are people with college degrees and some with graduate degrees. No one could afford their own rent in Indianapolis. I thought it was just me who needed a roommate, but at the Christmas party several of the employees were also roommates with each other.

Benefits - No employer contribution to health insurance. I didn't realize this until I got my COBRA offer. 401k enrollment didn't kick in until I had been there 9 months, so I didn't qualify for the 2yr wait-period for the employer contribution (matched 5% of up to 3% of my salary, aka max of $45/yr.) The dental insurance costs more a year than a cleaning and didn't cover a co-worker's crown work, so I didn't purchase it. Eye coverage is worth it though (if you don't have 20/20).

Raises - Raises are capped at 4% - so NEGOTIATE when you're HIRED. I didn't do a good job at this. I was offered $14/hr negotiated to $15/hr and later found out that Covance would pay me $17-22/hr for a similar position. Look up what Covance is offering for the equivalent position - don't expect to be paid that well, but use it to better estimate your value. (Ex: ATL might have paid $17/hr but never $20+)

PTO - I personally found the PTO appalling. You get 10 days per year of PTO. If you want to be paid during the sponsor company's annual four-day "shut down", you have to save your PTO for that. What that means to you is all together you have 80hrs to be sick, shut down pay, go on vacation, and attend other life appointments (doctor, car repair, etc). Basically this functionally translates into going to work sick because you don't want to lose your 6 days of vacation. PLUS SIDE - they do roll over if you don't use it all, so the next year you could have more PTO time.

Advancement - My HR seemed to be looking for other placements, but were limited by the sponsor's openings. Overall, this is a place to work and make money if you want to live in Indianapolis and are neutral about your career. It isn't a very good company to stay with if you're ambitious and the sponsor company is 'tightening its belt' with limited opportunities with them available. If you have no work experience, it's a good place to gain some - but for me it was just a holding pattern.

Security - My sponsor company renewed contracts annually - aka the week before Christmas. You never really knew for sure until that time if you had a job the next year. ATL/ATMG reassures you with a "we'll find a place for you" - but it could definitely be a step down on the career ladder if they're faced with that. However, they don't want to pay unemployment ("lean management") so they're not likely to lay you off if you have kids and want that security knowledge.

Confidentiality Agreement - You can't have both ATL/ATMG on your resume AND the sponsor company at which you were place. However, no one cares about ATL/ATMG on your resume but the sponsor company name has some pull. You end up being torn between being honest and not sending up red flags on a background check and actually having someone pay attention to your resume. I have settled on careful wording like "a contractor placed with " sponsor company. (Most people just ignore the agreement all together.)

Something you might actually listen to: offer 80hrs PTO plus three sick days a year. You don't really want to send sick people into the types of workplaces you serve. If you're worried about abuse, have an unwritten policy that managers can send people home with pay (a couple times a year) if they're too sick to really be there.

Not a bad place to work depending on your priorities

Current Employee - Biologist III  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Biologist III in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good coworkers mostly. Can get some really good work experience depending on where you end up. If the contract changes and you have been a good employee they will move you to another open position instead of letting you go.

Cons

Leadership is basically a joke. Managers have no idea what on contract site employees do for their jobs so the personal development reviews are meaningless. Speaking of PDRs, they never get done on time, EVER! It can take up to a year for a review to get done, which means getting a raise up to a year late with retro pay back to anniversary date. There is always a lot of talk about cross training and opportunities but these things never come to fruition.

Management should lead by example, if any employee were to be late getting their responsibilities completed they would have some reprimand. There should be no excuse for management to never accomplish a review on time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

mid level

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Ash, OH

Pros

Nothing positive about this company

Cons

The two leaders don't know how to lead or manage, they are there for themselves only. They like the negativity and reinforce it. The building is a disgrace..

Sell the company or get out of it. Majority of associates are looking to leave at all levels.

Please read these reviews...do not take a job here!

Pros

If you can't find a job anywhere else... then take a job here....but certainly continue to look. This job is good for someone starting out who doesn't care much about pay or benefits.

Cons

This company does not care about it's employees. Turn over is very high. They anticipate you staying about a year and welcome when people leave so they don't have to give raises. They also "replace" alot of people. They pay is low and the benefits are the worst I have seen - especially if you have a family.

Some of the managers are very nice but direction comes from the top down. The owner is not people focused...he is a scientist and therefore...employees...the back bone of the company... are not treated very well. There are alot of unhappy people here. Please don't make the mistake of taking a job here.

Great first job out of college

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

I had great supervisors and mentors and I loved the flexible schedule my job allowed. It was a good job for someone right out of college with only a few internships worth of experience.

Cons

The pay was quite low and there was little room for advancement within the company.

Good for getting experience out of school.

Pros

Full time job with learning potential.

Cons

People are not paid what they are worth.

Pay people more!

Growth

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Love the very nurturing job potential and professional growth. Very flexible

Cons

At some times management does not have a clear picture of where business is going.

You will be as disposable as a diaper. No ATL protection from clients and co-employment is inevitable.

Former Employee - Analytical Chemist
    Former Employee - Analytical Chemist

Pros

Great experience right out of school, not as a career.

Cons

No dependability from HR and if you work there longer than 3 years they will find ways to get rid of you. If you like a job as a robot and can maintain a no care mentality, then this is the job for you. No advancement opportunity.

Have bi-weekly meetings between associates, the associates ATL manager, and the client(s) to confirm that tasks and projects are being completed as initially proposed.

Great place to work, clients are awesome but poor and horrible supervision

Former Employee - Microbiologist  in  Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Microbiologist in Mason, OH

Pros

Only benefit that someone could get from working here, is hopefully a better job somewhere else. Client sponsors are wonderful.

Cons

The GM /Supervisor that I worked for with this company never handled work related issues in a professional way, and obviously had their favorite employees selected. This is not professional at all, and if employees who are not satisfied with this supervision are not expected to complain, then the issue must be supported by the company itself.
    If there is an issue related to work, it appears that the issue is not important enough to resolve if you are not one of the General Manager favorite employees.
    The work schedule is very unorganized. Coworkers show up excessively late and the supervisor never correct this. Overtime is expected and the favorite employees of the GM//supervisor work schedules that are more beneficial. The more you work, the more they will make you work. Nobody cares about your problem, you get a paycheck so shut up. If you do not play golf forget about career progression. It is also advised to be a yes man.
    While I was working with this company I went to a GM /supervisor several times to make notification of issues relating to work, and the communication was never handled professionally. I faced retaliation for notifying senior level technicians and the supervisors..

Hire people who have experience managing people. Ask them don't play favorites, be fair, professional and fix the current issues at hand.

Worked for Advanced Testing Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!