Advantage Business Media

Jim Lonergan

1. A fine place to learn and develop

Current Employee - Writer in Rockaway, NJ
    Current Employee - Writer in Rockaway, NJ

I have been working at Advantage Business Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a relatively-new employee. I find the people to be cooperative and interested in doing a good job without needless complications. The Web operation is beginning to come into its own, and gets better by the day.

Cons

Sometimes the coffee machine doesn't work. Most of the time it does.

Otherwise, the editorial balance is still a work in progress, as any place in publishing/media is - since print is tumbling everywhere, and digital is just coming into its own.

Advice to Management

It would be best to find a way to continue to grow digital audience. I think the best way to do this is to continue giving leeway to editorial staff members, who can lure in people who are on the fringes of our audience.

2. Great place to work, grow and learn!

I have been working at Advantage Business Media full-time

Pros

The environment here is very team oriented. Since starting, I have learned a great deal and feel I have been able to grow professionally. The policy here is open door. I feel at ease speaking with all levels of the organization and feel I greatly benefit from their insight. I also feel my insight is valued. I am excited about learning and growing more here. There are strategies and organizational tools that I have learned to use, which tremendously impact my job and capability to do well. I am fortunate to have a wonderful and supportive mentor and team within my department.

Cons

We are in the middle of expanding our office space due to growth. The transition may be disruptive during that time.

Advice to Management

I would like to know more about what is going on in other departments. It would be helpful to have occasional meetings to discuss what is happening in departments that I do not interact with on a regular basis. I would like to know how what they are doing is currently impacting the company.

3. Great place to work - encouragement and help to grow career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ

I have been working at Advantage Business Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid-back, focused atmosphere. Lots of support from management, but enough autonomy that I'm not micro-managed. The company seems to be constantly trying to empower their employees and new ideas are both welcome and encouraged.

Cons

The office is currently undergoing a renovation, which could make the workplace a bit hectic, but nothing that won't be over in a few months.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in hardworking, motivated people and I think the company will do great.

Company unwilling to pay for talent, high turnover will continue.

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Madison, WI

I worked at Advantage Business Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed, jeans and t-shirt dress code; laid-back atmosphere; semi-flexible schedule when it comes to Dr. appointments, etc. There are also some really great people working here who care about their jobs and are excellent coworkers.

Cons

Upper management has been hacking away at benefits, perks, and commission structures over the last year. Employees are expected to do more for less money. Tangible raises are few and far between. It is a very political atmosphere. Managers often have no management skill. There is not a lot of room for growth within the company.

Advice to Management

Pay salaries that compete with the market. Offer benefits that are worth having. Stop claiming "transparency" and actually be transparent.

6. Love this place | Laid-back culture that allows us to innovate, learn and get into a bit of shenanigans!!

I have been working at Advantage Business Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can honestly say that I love coming in everyday because we have the opportunity to drive the business into new areas that keep us learning and trying new things. We have the autonomy to work with new digital products to achieve our goals and have never had to worry the mentality that we can’t try something different because “that’s the way it’s always been done”.

PROS:
    • Work with rock stars that are smart, capable and love learning.
    • Location – Who wants commute into NYC??
    • Ideas are listened to and acted on – Senior management is very accessible and open to suggestions - People are heard and anyone can contribute.
    • We’re continuing to push the envelope and learn more.
    • People are committed and share a sense of purpose. Our group is excited to work with each other and we get to do some great work in the digital space and continue to learn from each other.
    • Work within our group is varied, leading to learning new things, interesting opportunities and keeping up with the changes in the digital world.
    • Great culture of collaboration and innovative problem solving within our group. Different backgrounds of the team is key to creating best possible results.
    • Our new CEO has done a great job with being visible and extremely approachable. He tries to be as transparent as possible with how the company is doing and which direction it is going.
    • The company allows us 2 “Volunteer Days” to encourage us to get involved with the community and non-for profits.
    • 401 matching and health care.
    • Little things like still having a Christmas party, company outings in the summer (bowling, picnic, Spirit of NY cruise, etc.), and fun activities (ping pong tournament, pizza parties, etc).
    • Health awareness program – I appreciate the speakers and activities and would love to see this expanded.
    • Lunch time Yoga – No explanation needed on this one!

You can’t go wrong when you work with great people in a laid back (though driven) environment where it’s okay to wear shorts and sandals in the summer and for the past few years, even get a few summer Fridays off!!

Overall, I firmly believe the people and projects will advance both your personal and professional goals and you’ll have a great time achieving this!

Cons

This is a growing, changing company that has had to make some challenging decisions in order to prepare us for the future. We recently lost some great people and restructured a bit which has taken a toll on the morale, though it has opened up so many exciting opportunities and I’m looking forward to our future.

• It’s not the fault of the company, though health care costs continue to rise, and do to the economic environment, 401 matching has been decreased.
    • Salaries are competitive but not fantastic. We’ve had a few great people poached because of this. It’s always a challenge for a company to find the right balance, though in today’s Linkedin world, there are always recruiters out dangling a carrot and trying to lure you away. Interesting enough, we’ve had people leave and then come back, which says a lot about the organization!
    • Wouldn't mind more vacation time and holidays, as well as flexibility to work from home without others questioning it. When you hire the right people who are passionate about what they do, you should be able to give them the time to get out and experience life and enjoy their family because this will help charge their batteries and make them even better when they put their mind back on their projects.
    • The infamous toaster – I never used it though think we need to finally get a new toaster with an auto off so we can put this to bed!!

Advice to Management

Great company and I’m glad that I’m here! We’re moving in the right direction and I’m excited about all of the opportunities that are in front of us. We’re making a lot of investments in the technology we need and I hope that we can continue to make this same type of investment in our people and culture.

Things like:

• Continuing to send people/teams to industry conferences, workshops and classes – We can never learn enough and this is the only way we’ll stay ahead.
    • Increase the opportunities for different groups to learn from each other and meet each other. The recent all hands sales meeting was excellent and looking forward to similar activities for our editors and other teams.
    • Increased holiday parties, picnics, happy hours, and team building retreats to continue to build a strong culture and ABM family. We can learn a lot from folks like Tony Hsieh, Richard Branson, and Herb Kelleher (A Jersey Boy) that have built organizations that continue to experience huge returns because everyone is onboard and believes in their potential.
    • More programs and initiatives like the Young Mind Awards where we are giving back and getting involved with the youth/community.
    • Celebrate our victories (both corporate and personal).
    • Encourage our employees to take the time to socialize and catch up with our coworkers. This goes back to continuing to build an amazing culture.

Having said this, it’s going to be all of us that are going to continue to make ABM a great place and we’re hoping that you’ll continue to keep the laid back / causal environment, be supportive, and open to try new things to retain and recruit the folks we’ll need. I’m certainly looking forward to our future!!

Poor Management, Disregard for Employees

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Madison, WI

I worked at Advantage Business Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Low-stress and flexible environment provided a good work-life balance. Co-workers got along well for the most part.

Cons

Poor management with a general disregard for employee well-being. Salaries are below average for the area, and benefits are not sufficient. There is little genuine collaboration between employees and management, and most employees don't feel their concerns are being heard. Many meetings are held, but nothing ever seems to actually change. There is also little room to move up within the company. The company used to promote from within, but now focuses on hiring newbies from the outside, mainly because large numbers of current, experienced employees are leaving due to the negative atmosphere and poor salary/benefits.

Advice to Management

Disregarding employee morale is a very bad idea. Focus on nurturing your current employees and providing them with incentives and room to grow so that they value the company. Otherwise, the revolving door of employees will continue, and the company will continue to suffer.

Award-winning editorial team and most creative video team I've ever worked with

Current Employee - Editorial in Rockaway, NJ
    Current Employee - Editorial in Rockaway, NJ

I have been working at Advantage Business Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Truly bright and down-to-earth co-workers.
    2. Fun and learning are encouraged.
    3. Company doesn’t take itself too seriously: Casual dress & Ping Pong are major perks.
    4. Hard work is rewarded, and the company often promotes from within.
    5. New CEO (since July 2014) values and supports our 40+ editorial staff.
    6. Significant planned investments in BI and Editorial.
    7. Open door policy.

Cons

1. No toaster oven in kitchen.
    2. No plans to get a toaster oven.

Advice to Management

1. Continue to value high performers.
    2. Invest in more white boards and markers.

Good solid company

I have been working at Advantage Business Media full-time

Pros

Managers ask their employees for input, very cutting edge media products being produced, friendly atmosphere, new CEO has a great vision for digital growth

Cons

The company is growing so quickly that we could use some more employees

Company needs to re-examine priorities

Former Employee - Anonymous in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Madison, WI

I worked at Advantage Business Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to maintain healthy work-life balance. Can develop great relationships with coworkers and even managers. Was a great first job out of college. B2B publishing is an interesting industry, you definitely gain a lot of knowledge about it and internet media in general.

Cons

Mediocre benefits. Little to no training. Management seldom promoted for managerial abilities. Very little upward mobility. Don't pay many positions their market value. Horrible relationship between corporate location and Madison office.

First words from new CEO: "I will not concern myself with company morale." He seems content to rebuild the company from a shell, instead of molding the existing company into something great.

Advice to Management

Recognize the meaning of the insanely high turnover rate you've experience this year. Realize that to get your company back in shape and for people to work extra hard to make that happen you need them to like where they are - and right now they don't.

Low Pay, Poor Morale

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Madison, WI

I worked at Advantage Business Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Scheduling is flexible. People in the office are generally nice. Not very stressful for the editorial team.

Cons

Leadership has been poor. There's really no training when you're hired. Turnover has been high for the past year in the editorial team, so only a few people really know what they're doing and are invested in the company. There's also little room to grow--if you like being challenged, this is not the job for you. Also, pay is low compared to the industry standard and management is aware of that (it was a topic of discussion when I left), but in the Madison office they don't have the power to change that even if they want to.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep good people, you need to pay them more and give them room to grow.

RSS Feed </> Embed