Advantage Sales and Marketing

Advantage Sales and Marketing Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Advantage Sales and Marketing CEO Tanya Domier

Tanya Domier

Pros
  • Wonderful support from other sales reps (part time "support" from management)(in 31 reviews)

• Opportunity for new careers through the ACE program for recent college graduates(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The job is demanding so sometimes it is difficult to maintain a work life balance(in 19 reviews)

• Upper management would tell us to do one thing and wouldn't follow thru on their end(in 37 reviews)

Assembler

Home Center Assembler (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou meet a diverse set of people. Could be worth it if you work long enough to gain speed

ConsLong work hours at peak periods, poor work coordination, wasted time on non work activities, poor staff welfare and remuneration

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter remuneration and protection of workers should be considered

Company seemed okay, but local management was too much

Event Specialist (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsFor part-time, unskilled labor, this Demo job was fairly easy and paid pretty well. I liked that I never had to work for longer than 6.5 hours from late morning, and that I got a guaranteed 30 -minute break with two 10-minute breaks. The customers could be annoying sometimes, but generally they were manageable. The coworkers were pretty nice too.

ConsThe local manager was just too much. Plus, the job is very weekend intensive; expect to work every Saturday in addition to a Friday or Sunday every week (sometimes Friday, Saturday, and Sunday).

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to calm down and stop sweating the workers; oftentimes these products sell themselves. At other times, a happy worker can sell these products; but if the workers are not happy, then they won't sell as well.

A company that is flexible for you.

Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThis company is a good company to work for. Almost stress free. They are very flexible with your schedule. The company encourages promotion. The supervisors are respectful.

ConsThe pay rate could be better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on the team

Retail Sales Merchandiser (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsIndependence, working with people, Travel.

ConsLack of opportunity, If you aren't on a good customer team, ie, chain stores, dealing with the gas stations and mom and pop stores are frustrating. If you don't have a garage, the amount of samples you have to store at home can be ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe stores we were sent to needed to be vetted.

ASM RSM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is a considerable amount of independence.

ConsThe management is full-time, but they only give support part of the time. Territories are reviewed and may be realigned yearly.

This job was very rewarding and educational.

Event Specialist (Former Employee) Sun Valley, CA

ProsYou can gain a lot of customer service experience while working at such a cool job with the best district managers.

ConsNot a lot of hour offered for event specialist position, and other positions with more hours were strictly commission based.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf it was possible, it would be awesome if you could give the event specialists more hours.

Started with Campaigners, Lost All Status when ASM stepped in...

Retail Sales Merchandiser (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsI started as an Epson representative in CompUSA stores and the pay was amazing, the hours were great, management was incredibly helpful and involved and I received a great deal of assistance from my district and regional managers. We had weekly conference calls, and then individual calls to discuss progress and the possibility of moving up. CompUSA stopped doing the program, so I lost my regular spot, but my manager knew what a hard worker I was and fought to get me placement in other areas. I still worked almost every weekend filling in for various people that needed the day off. Then, ASM acquired Campaigners, my manager was no longer my manager and no one explained the transition to any of us at all. That is where the cons began...

Cons... I received a new manager that could never remember my name and asked me the same questions over and over. He would schedule me for something and then I would get a call the day before canceling the event. It was money I really needed at the time, so I stayed on, but eventually, the hours and the help from conference calls completely dried up. I repeatedly said I wanted to remain on staff and be called for any and every substitute shift or long-term option that became available. I had been a loyal employee for more than 3 years, and then they just laid me off from the team one day, and I only found out because I got a letter from the office of unemployment asking me to verify that I had "quit." That was another hassle, because I had to go through a process to prove that I was not quit, but apparently laid-off without my knowledge. I only give this company two stars because my experience with Campaigners was worth 5 stars. ASM is a one-star (if that) company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the "little people" that make your jobs and livelihoods possible. Learn our names. Don't change online systems and policies every few months to a point that it is so confusing, people need to reach out to management multiple times to get help.

Could be better, but couldn't get much wores

Regional Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIndependent work... That's it. They let you work independently from your home office, but they expect you to work seven days a week.

ConsWork Schedule, work/life balance, direct reports fall into a hole, upper management doesn't reward those that do a good job, poor leadership, low salary, minimal advancement opportunities & they treat the field management team like pack-mules. They just keep loading on more and more work with no compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvance those that have proven to have leadership and willingness to do the work the right way. Recognize & reward those that do a good job, possibly with a real bonus.

Free samples. Heavy workloads. Low compensation.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsPeople: Co workers are great, and almost always willing to help out, though that's heavily dependent on workloads. If you're struggling with a heavy workload week, people often volunteer their time to help out in any way they can.

Flexibility in hours is a plus, especially with roads being closed due to construction and closures. We are offered summer hours in the Summer, though the rules have become more stringent in the last year.

Management doles out free samples, which is a huge plus. It seems that this is the most commonly used incentive to keep people happy.

ConsEver-increasing workloads over the last few years. Desk loads used to be more than manageable, and overall stress levels were healthy. Over the last 2 years, the office has seen significant downsizing (roughly half), with the overall workload decreasing by 20%, resulting in more work for everyone. In the past 6 months, there has been a large influx in turnover, raising tensions and workloads further.

Raises aren't an option, and when the subject is broached, management quickly dismisses the idea, citing wage freezes that have been implemented for years.

The Regional VP held a meeting speaking about how well the company is doing, but this didn't translate to any noticeable result in our office. There is a heavy focus on achieving Client Goals to earn bonuses for the company/office, often resulting in micromanagement and extra stress from the management team. Meeting the goals results in little incentive for the BAA aside from congratulatory e-mails.

Opportunities for advancement are limited. Promoted positions have opened in the last 6 months due to turnover, and the positions were filled by new-hires, not current staff who were seeking promotion. Office politics seem to dictate who moves up.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on empowering your employees - the turnaround seems to have mostly been due to people leaving for similar positions elsewhere due to little room for growth and stagnating wages.

Small format worker

Retail Sales Merchandiser (Current Employee) Annandale, VA

ProsThe job is very independent and gives me the ability to set my own schedule. My supervisor also is a huge supporter of the hard working soles.

ConsThe salary is very substandard considering the demands it imposes on you such as handling the excessive workloads both on the road and on admin time in which i am expected to plan for scheduling, answering emails, and even doing expense reports. Also the way they compensate for mileage is way below the government standard without regard to personal wear and tear on personal vehicles which goes up and down depending on the cost of gasoline. I am also aware that employees did not get a raise in the last year which is a serious red flag of concern for me. Another major con is the expectations they place on us regarding sales in all stores with no realistic outlook as to how most convenience stores operate only carrying what sells and is on the POG.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes to what your asking us to do with the compensation you give us. Most other companies pay far better than what you give to us and do not make compromise to the way our schedules are given or our paychecks. The cost of living versus what you are paying your employees is absurd and you will lose out in the long run by losing people left and right. A company car say a Smart for two would also be very nice those cars are cost efficient and are low to insure and lease.

Worked for Advantage Sales and Marketing? Contribute to the Community!