Advantage Sales and Marketing

Updated September 19, 2014
3.1

Advantage Sales and Marketing CEO Tanya Domier
Tanya Domier

Pros
  • Wonderful support from other sales reps (part time "support" from management) (in 31 reviews)

• Opportunity for new careers through the ACE program for recent college graduates (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The job is demanding so sometimes it is difficult to maintain a work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management would tell us to do one thing and wouldn't follow thru on their end (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong company with unclear career paths

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work schedules. Lot of opportunities within the organization for those who are willing to relocate. Very good Paid time off program for a retail company.

Cons

There is little developmental support or career planning provided by management or the training department. Pay for the amount of work required on a managerial level is not commensurate with the time involved.

Ensure employees are fully backed and supported by management.

full time benefits, GOOD while it lasted

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative  in  Pikeville, KY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Pikeville, KY

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

mostly flexible schedule, can set your own schedule, good benefits if you are full time.

Cons

not getting any raises, in 12 years I was employed, I only gained $1.48 . company famous for cutting their full time employees to part time so don't have to pay benefits ie, vacation,holiday,sick,long and short term disability, health insurance

This company needs to compensate their hourly employees as generous as they compensate themselves, stop cutting your full time employess, this is so they can save on their benefits because they are so greedy they want more for themselves ie, bonuses, commissions from the work of their employees.

Post ACE program, now full-time Business Development Specialist

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist

I have been working at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are a lot of outgoing and friendly people, and the sales roles allow for flexible schedules. Most associates are great team players and willing to assist on projects, answer questions and provide insight.

Cons

It seems like the vast majority of associates are spread too thin and not being fairly compensated for everything on their plates. Most people have a single title but are really doing the jobs of three or more.

As mergers and acquisitions continue to happen, it would be nice to hire more employees on as new companies are becoming integrated. New business shouldn't automatically mean more work with no additional compensation for all of the existing employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chaotic

Current Employee - Event Specialist  in  Edgewood, NM
    Current Employee - Event Specialist in Edgewood, NM

I have been working at Advantage Sales and Marketing part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am an event specialist. It is fun and usually different for every event. I am able to use my personality within the guidelines of the company policies. If you want time off, you just put it on the calendar and there is no pushback.

Cons

Sometimes you can go for a week or more without an event. The event specialist position is not a good one in this area for a steady income. There have been times when my product was not at the store and I didn't get to work all day. It is sometimes hard to get my supervisor to answer phone calls or emails.

I would like to see some sort of program to make sure the events lined up with what was in the store.

Great Company for innovative ideas, but watch out after the programs start to make money for ASM

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

2007 - 2012 Very open about ideas regarding program launches. Encouraged ideas and had a bottom to top business model. Believed that those in the trenches knew how best to handle issues in the trenches but then....

Cons

Company began changing its business model and work-life balance changed to all work - no life. You had two days off, but were "expected" to complete tasks even if you were off. Human Resources department changed as well. As managers, we were encouraged to ask questions regarding personnel issues; however, those questions soon became ammunition to dig around and create chaos, confusion and unnecessary fear among employees. Upper management wanted "true" numbers regarding execution but were unwilling or unable to provide solutions or support if your numbers were not up to standard...

There used to be a promote from within culture with ASM... Now it seems that the hiring is going to younger, more inexperienced people. I don't know if that is so you can pay less for middle management positions, but it's difficult to win battles when your team has never been in a battle. Remember, if you hire in desperation, you will be desperate. You get what you pay for... Value your people, they are what grows the business.

Working at Advantage

I have been working at Advantage Sales and Marketing part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work/life balance, work schedule flexibility

Cons

no benefits, no vacation, below "living standard" wages

more advancement opportunities, realize and recognize talent that you have within your ranks

Good opportunity with lots of current openings

Former Employee - Retail Reset Merchandiser  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Reset Merchandiser in Denver, CO

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing part-time for less than a year

Pros

Consistent hours and territory; learn as you go; interesting team members. The company was awarded a large contract & will have lots of positions starting this fall.

Cons

The overall process was disorganized - training website either down or unable to load; pay for training specified but not compensated for all the down time caused when the website kicks you out or doesn't record test results, etc. Virtually no on-site training from an ASM employee making it difficult to understand time reporting that affects pay.

Consistency is vital to keeping good employees - merchandisers are generally self-regulated but need some guidance as to website quirks & other company specific tools. Don't rely on your help desk to fix everything - be more engaged with the process.

What a grueling experience.

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing

Pros

There are opportunities to learn at a fast pace.

Cons

Management
    Schedule
    Lack of work
    Horrible work/life balance

Treat your employees better

What happened to ASM?

Current Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Not having to report to an office everyday is the reason I stay with ASM. Also, the benefit of vacation and holiday time that ASM offers cannot be matched by any other food broker.

Cons

Lack of promotion availabilities', lack of a car allowance and a gas amount that actually covers the use of your personal auto

Look at your retail reps and remember that we are the face of ASM!

Decent pay but company is not concerned with needs or problems of staff

Former Employee - Event Specialist  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Event Specialist in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing part-time for more than a year

Pros

pay, meeting new people, decent job for students and people looking for a little extra money

Cons

management, lack of upward mobility, disrespect of customers

Worked for Advantage Sales and Marketing? Contribute to the Community!