Advantage Sales and Marketing

Updated December 15, 2014
2.9

Advantage Sales and Marketing CEO Tanya Domier
Tanya Domier

Pros
  • Flexible part-time work; can volunteer to obtain additional hours (in 36 reviews)

• Work life balance, decent pay for the industry, 401k for part time employees (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Company began changing its business model and work-life balance changed to all work - no life (in 23 reviews)

• Upper management would tell us to do one thing and wouldn't follow thru on their end (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Event Specialist

Current Employee - Event Specialist in Hacienda Heights, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Event Specialist in Hacienda Heights, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Advantage Sales and Marketing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty laid back, not really stressful, good pay for people who have never had a job

Cons

Not much room for advancement, mostly weekend hours

Some managers like to send off workers outside their radius preference

In 47 years in the work world this is the worst company I have worked for!!!

Former Employee - Event Specialist/Lead/Supervisor in Evans, CO
    Former Employee - Event Specialist/Lead/Supervisor in Evans, CO

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like working with people this can be a good place to work. Merchandising in retail outlets is interesting and you have an opportunity to work in a number of venues.

Cons

1. Absolutely dismal training procedures.
    2. Inconsistent support if any from mid level managers (I had 7 district managers in 7 months as a supervisor).
    3. Inadequate response or no response to the needs of the supervisors.
    4. inadequate compensation with regards to the job description.
    5. Rude mid level managers.
    6. Because of the way ASM handles their contracts with vendors it is impossible to project store associates schedules out more than about a week and those schedules are subject to change as late as 12 hours before the beginning of shift.
    7. Raises are non-existent! I mean that literally. I worked for them as a lead for 4 1/2 years without a raise.

I'm afraid there is so much that needs to be changed it will never happen. Value your people more and treat them better. Pay a competitive wage, even to part-timers. Don't micro-manage club supervisors.

ASM, LLC

Former Employee - District Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits and work environment

Cons

always restructuring, offering little to no job stability

the company is inherently going through growing pains, try to look farther into the future to predict the affects of restructuring on your employees

Bad Experience

Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in West Chester, PA

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sounds like an up and coming company.

Cons

Not even money for the time you invest in taking tests and a horrible dashboard.

Need to add more Supervisors.

Event specialist

Former Employee - Event Specialist
    Former Employee - Event Specialist

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing part-time

Pros

Fun and learn new prodcuts.

Cons

Good job if you don't need money. Sometimes you can go weeks without a job.

Need to inspect their event specialist cart. Sometimes when I work at a store I normal l you don't work at I find the utinsels really dirty. It's gross and the oven etc.

BS company and a BS job

Current Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser

I have been working at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid holidays. Offers substandard health insurance.

Cons

Very negative atmosphere. We are expected to sell and never receive any compensation for it. Never a raise and a very minuscule amount paid for mileage and wear and tear on our vehicles. We are expected to do an overwhelming amount of work which no human could ever possibly do and not only that, we are expected to do the dedicated teams work as well. What are the dedicated teams doing? Very poor communication and no one in this company ever seems to know what is going on. Only company I have ever heard of that reduces your pay and expects more work out of you. In Advantage's world, nothing ever increases in price. Very greedy company. Companies values are very questionable. I'll admit, it is my fault for staying and will leave as soon as I can.

Quit taking on more labor intensive clients and promising them more than we can deliver! The amount of clients on the Wal-Mart team need to be decreased by at least 50%. Start listening to your employees out in the field and realize that we are the ONLY reason that you are employed! Stop expecting the impossible! If you are so sure that your employees can perform all of the work that they are expected to do, come out into the field and show us how it is done! when are your clients going to wake up and realize they are being scammed?

Hired and never started

Current Employee - Kitchen Aid Sales Lead in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Kitchen Aid Sales Lead in San Diego, CA

Pros

I never started so I can't say much other than the pay was going to be really good ($22 a hour)

Cons

I was hired, went through the hiring process. Completed training but then no one was returning my calls or emails. I never got my schedule even after checking on Jet.

Follow up with new employees.

Demonstractor

Former Employee - Sales Specialist/Event Demonstrator in Suffolk, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist/Event Demonstrator in Suffolk, VA

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting long term friends . Even after I was fired they are still my friends

Cons

Poor Supervisor Was not treated equal

Managers have their picks which they highly praise. I was fired for the same thing her favorite does . Manager should check more often on Suffolk,Va stores . This employee has to be the best and forever calling manager to report others.She is doing everything she reports to manager herself. When I tried to speak up it was always YOU HAVE NO PROOF Well it's been about a year now I still shop at walmart Seen this person leaving early Taking an hour for lunch and shopping on Company time She treated employees which came in from other areas to work They say they will never come back to work in that store. I was really treated badly by that person and manager always had an excuse for her. To me there was no excuse for this person to throw botttles of water at me Caused a big scene in store and only got a pat on the hand All of this is a true story . Poor Management

RSM

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing

Pros

Semi flexible position. I liked grocery marketing. The store managers I dealt with were nice and hard working.

Cons

Where to start? "Teams" were supposed to both work together and compete in completely different markets which meant that the same people received bonuses every quarter. The iPad tool made the job easy but management tracks your movement. Plus the work is kind of silly. Trying to get a store mgr. to put up a cardboard display of product when they don't want the aisles to be messy is an exercise in futility. I was able to complete what co. wanted to be eight hours of work in about 3. Crazy boring because you can only troll in a store for so long. Also put am insane amount of miles on my vehicle for .28 a mile. And had to carry loads of POS in my car that I rarely used.

Give your employees a job to do and let them do it. Also the bonus structure is patently unfair. Compensate for vehicle usage fairly.

Hires Anybody!

Current Employee - Event Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Event Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Advantage Sales and Marketing part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I think some of the pros of working for ASM is the fact that you can eat some of the food you sample on a daily basis. I guess that's a pleasure for any food industry type of job. You get to converse with cutomers all day. The work is extremely easy. It requires little effort, a bear could do it. They hire just about anyone, especially elderly people. If you've never had work experience, they will still hire you.

Cons

They don't let you take any of the food home, they expect you to throw away a whole product of something, even if it was untouched, but the box was opened. Or if you have a lot of something left, they won't let you take it home. It really sucks. They make us waste food every single day. I hate it.

Give the leads at least more than just a dollar extra than regular event specialists. It's pathetic.

Advantage Sales and Marketing Photos