Advantage Sales and Marketing

Updated September 11, 2014
3.1

Advantage Sales and Marketing CEO Tanya Domier
Tanya Domier

Pros
  • Wonderful support from other sales reps (part time "support" from management) (in 31 reviews)

• Opportunity for new careers through the ACE program for recent college graduates (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The job is demanding so sometimes it is difficult to maintain a work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management would tell us to do one thing and wouldn't follow thru on their end (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Office Position with Advantage Sales and Marketing

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time

Pros

The 7 minute commute to work,most of my co-workers were pleasant to work with. I have nothing good to say about the company itself.

Cons

I worked in one of the ASM offices, not as an RSM or demo person. That being said, my "favorite" con from working for ASM was having to wait in the parking lot until a manager arrived at the office to let us into the building! 20 degrees out? Too bad, wait in the car. 95 degrees out? Too bad, wait in the car. Pretty sure background checks are completed so that you don't have to worry about your employees stealing confidential information from the office. And if the reason for making us wait outside was so that we wouldn't have to be paid overtime, then you should have made everyone in the office salaried. But apparently half the office wasn't worthy of being salaried??

I know this is a common complaint that any former employee will have but compensation was absolutely horrible if you were not in a management position. The word "raise" does not in exist in the ASM culture.

It's difficult to enjoy coming to work when it is very obvious that your own boss would rather be dead on the side of the road than come into the office. The eye rolls were endless. (This is in regards not to my most recent boss but one before that, in the same office.)

In my office of about 35 people, almost 20 employees left the company within a 2 year time period. These are people who left on their own, to move on to better jobs, none were fired/let go. Instead of wasting so much time and money on hiring new people, I suggest improving the "quality of life" at the office so you don't have as much turnover.

The constant talk from upper mgmt in my office about ASM being "transparent" was such BS. There was so much secrecy and whisper whisper behind closed doors that it became a running joke among us "minions."

I also hated that we were being controlled by a headquarters located 3,000 miles from us in California, but I am the one who chose to work for a huge national company that doesn't give a crap about the individuals. ASM acts like they are interested in you but it's only if you increase sales that quarter.

Benefits are standard for full-time employees. Nothing special.

To the CEO, Tanya Domier: your blog is lame. I'm sorry, it's so fake and forced and it made me dislike you even more than before you started it. And a blog should be updated weekly, not once in a blue moon. Honestly, some of my co-workers and I would get so anxious to read your new blog entries just so that we could rip it to pieces.

I feel like working for this company was a waste of almost 3 years of my life. I don't think that I have learned anything seriously useful that could be used in the future in my career. But hey, thanks for helping me pay the rent and bills!

Pay your employees better. Both part-time and full-time employees. Don't treat us as disposable.

Since promotion, horrible experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great part-time pay, working with a team (in store), working with store management to get a goal accomplished.

Cons

Expensive benefits, little communication, unless something is wanted from you, and salaried employees are taken advantage of. The company expects too much for such a small salary. If I had known how much the company expects from salaried employees, I would not have taken the position.

Give raises, show some concern and reach out to employees to make sure they are happy. Also, if you want people to be happy in a position, don't give them so much work to do that they get overwhelmed and feel they are being over worked and under payed. You run a multi million dollar corporation with offices around the world, use your resources to help your employees.

This company sucks - hard

Current Employee - Demonstrator - Associate  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Demonstrator - Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Advantage Sales and Marketing part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The only thing positive is that you don't have to take your own equipment to the store to do demos.

Cons

1. The rules change week to week
    2. You never a a job review or raise
    3. Seniority doesn't mean anything to them
    4. New employees who have never done the job can get paid up to $2 more per hour and get priority on the schedule
    5. You generally don't know your schedule more than 1 week in advance and therefore have no personal life
    6. No benefits or breaks allowed
    7. No mileage or travel time allowed
    8. Extreely bad website that constantly freezes up and getting their emails is always a surprise and thy have very poor communication skills so it isn't unusual to find out you deleted their email because they don't mark it as from ASM
    9. Management frequently doesn't have the mandatory training to do their job and lower pay scales are expected to cover their incompetent butt
    10. I have been with them nearly 5 years and have yet to have a job review or raise and am forced to drive 35 miles one way to work when there are jobs within 2 miles of my house.

Learn from the suggestions the underlings offer; pay fairly - for each demo you are billing out a minimum of $1000, we deserve more than $60 for doing the work; we deserve breaks and benefits; regular job reviews and raises and a minimum of $15 an hour isn't too much to ask with a minimum of 10% per year inflation index..

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad experience in all ways

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing

Pros

I don't have nothing good to say for this Company. Very BAD experience

Cons

You have to drive 15 miles to stay 30 minutes in the store. So, what's the reason to go?
    Bad schedule, with stores in 3 or 4 towns in the same day just because is the same store name. They never schedule different stores in the same area.
    The job is just about driving and use your car to death.

Comunication could be better

ASM going downhill

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company USED to help and support their employees

Cons

They have cut their mileage and now give the employees no support. I think I was paying them to work. Drove over 3K a month and was reimbursed around $200 a month for all car expenses. I worked there for 14 years with one small raise and although I always had good reviews and awards was ignored most of the time. My fault for sticking with them. A bad mistake on my part.

Give a damn again about your employees.

Dissatisfied Retail Sales Merchandiser

Current Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser

I have been working at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only two good things i can now say about this employer is the supervisor is not bad and the time is flexible if you do it right

Cons

The compensation is next to nothing and it is blamed on a very tight budget of which i question because of the size of the company and the level of work they are not ashamed to stock pile on us. I am at present seeking to get out of the outfit all together i do not feel this is a very stable company to work for. The compensation for vehicles of which the rate goes up and down with the fluctuating cost of fuel is wrong. it should remain the same consistently as this never makes up for the excessive wear on our personal cars.

We understand the poor budget, but the cost of living is very high and you seriously need to re-evalute the pay system all together this is why employees leave the company.

Retail Sales Representive

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in the field no bosses looking over your work all the time. I did my job and went home.

Cons

I had 2 of the worst bosses I have ever had in my long career.

Pay people more money who do a great job. Stop paying much less than nomal for mileage on car useage. Stop paying the people at the top way too much and share the money with the people on the front line.

Retail Merchandiser

Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser  in  Garden Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Garden Grove, CA

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Steady work, steady pay, some good peers and decent training.

Cons

Most managers are positive, but theirs always one in the bunch who has it out for you. Your just a number and replaceable.

You hired the employees for a reason, because they are qualified. Managers who over see teams, need to stop being so nit-picking. I worked there for 5 years until one woman became my manager and all of the sudden nothing I could do was right. Wasn't me who needed to be retrained, it was her!

Not you father's Advantage Sales and Marketing anymore

Current Employee - Territory Representative
    Current Employee - Territory Representative

I have been working at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Not a TOTALLY HORRIBLE place to work.Liberal holiday schedule. Not cooped up in cubicle all day. Some freedom.

Cons

You are NOT respected by mid/upper management. In fact, employees seem to be Advantage Sales least important asset. Things have gotten progressively worse over the years with huge cutbacks in car allowance, office time allowed and other operating expenses. Forget a pay raise OF ANY KIND as Tonya Dormier, the C.E.O has seen to that. "The company must be profitable" is the mantra every time a raise is mentioned or cutbacks questioned. Mid/Upper management could be considered "unskilled" and that's being kind. Our DRT team leader is an airhead of the highest order, and her boss would throw his mama from a train if he thought it would further HIS standing within the company.Typical corporate management mentality from top to bottom.

A cost of living raise would be nice at least every couple of years, but I get it...the company must be profitable, even if it's at the employees expense. Either hire competent managers or please sell the company (again) to someone who will. Car allowance is a joke. Pay scale horrible. Address these issues or watch it all go down the drain.

Check your club manager!

Former Employee - Event Specialist  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Event Specialist in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing part-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting company to work for. There are no perks. Even so I loved the job.

Cons

Dealing with the racism of the club manager who does not understand the concept of "team".

People should be treated as though they are a member of the human race. Can not approve of any CEO who has the capacity to be aware of the treatment and continually disregards it.

Worked for Advantage Sales and Marketing? Contribute to the Community!