Advent Software

Updated December 18, 2014
3.2

Advent Software President & CEO Pete Hess
Pete Hess

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for most roles at Advent especially those without a travel component (in 45 reviews)

• Many smart people and a generally collegial atmosphere (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management seems to ignore this as if it is normal and happens everywhere (in 11 reviews)

• Career growth is based on who you are buddy/buddy with (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great first job surrounded by intelligent, motivated people.

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy the ROW model of working. Results Oriented Work.

ROW allows employees (I think this mostly applies to engineers and IT) to essentially set their own hours. Whether you enjoy working from or coming into the office, it's all good as long as the work you are producing is valuable to the company. That's it. I feel very spoiled this being my first job out of college but I don't think I can work at a typical 9 to 5 company after experiencing this style of working.

I also appreciate being surrounded by so many intelligent, qualified people. Everyday I feel like I learn something new just by talking to people.

This is a great place to start your career.

Oh and the benefits are pretty great too.

Cons

One con I've noticed about ROW is that it is hard to know WHEN someone will be in the office or not since there isn't really a strict policy on letting your teammates know your exact schedule. This can make it a little difficult to communicate effectively of the majority of your interactions are through Go to meeting.

This is a small gripe since I haven't experienced this nearly as much as I thought I might. People still enjoy coming into the office most of the time (except Fridays)

Keep trying to evolve the culture and bring in some younger minds. They started this process with my class by hiring around 60 new grads which is great. Keep it up.

This chapter is closing for me.

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have spent a large part of my adult life at Advent. I have formed amazing professional relationships as well as close friendships with former and current coworkers.

Cons

I suppose that Advent, like any company, is about perception. What you see, but often more importantly, what you don't see. I've seen some groups work flawlessly well together. I've seen coworkers come together to support the community and volunteer their time. I've raised my glass and laughed with most of them at Happy Hour. But then there is the other side.

The first time I met the founder, about 15 years ago, she was a mean grouch. I suppose you don't have to be nice when you sign the checks. Unfortunately, several other people had the same experience. You don't hear about this that much because she scares people. Hell, she scares me. A petty person with money and power is a scary thing. Some use it for good, others not so much. You can sit on as many boards and participate in as many charities as you like, that doesn't make you a good person. It makes you a person pretending to be a good person.

The current CEO is ok. Investors like him and he is approachable. I'm sure he would be fun to grab a beer with. I suspect he takes much of his cues from the grouch and doesn't want to disappoint her, especially after she handed him the brass ring. Sadly, that means he does not always do the noble thing, especially if Cruella De Vil doesn't approve.

Our HR department is sad. They thrive on approval from management and can be easily manipulated by them. I'm sure most of them think they are doing the right thing, but their view of what goes on is very limited. They rarely see the full picture. They see what management wants them to see, or what they go looking for. The system is flawed. They need a consulting firm to shadow them for a year and assess how they manage hiring, firing, layoffs, reorgs, and general disputes. It's pitiful.

PS - just because it's 7:00 AM, doesn't mean there aren't people in the office. People can hear you on your cell phones as you grab supplies out of the supply room and discuss who is being "monitored" for their behavior. Someone needs to monitor all of you and explain how gossip works. Take a pillow outside on a windy day and rip it open. You might be able to sew the pillow back up, but you can't control where the wind just blew all the feathers. That's gossip. You help bread it, spread it, and make it part of our culture. Don't be a Mean Girls parody.

I know you're all the smartest guys in the room. We may not all drive fancy cars, or do the great things you all do, but we are human beings with lives and families. Try to be honest and treat us with respect, not phony smiles and high fives. We aren't all stupid.

Very corporate, but the team members are very smart and friendly

I have been working at Advent Software

Pros

Great benefits. Great way to build a career - there is an impressive job ladder that was intentionally implemented on behalf of the employees (constant turnoff due to internal promotions does not also benefit the company, but does the employees). Team members are very friendly from my own experience.

Cons

The same with any large company. Sometimes you feel like a number, but it's the nature of the beast. It beats start-ups that only care about selling and not company culture.

Keep up the good work. It's not perfect, but your efforts are recognized and appreciated.

Great Balance

Current Employee - Renewal Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Renewal Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and team to work with

Cons

limited opportunity for advancement at least in this team

I worked at Advent Software

Pros

Caring environment of dedicated people.

Cons

Slower growth in a mature market

Not in the big leagues we pretend to be in

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Make friends with the right people and you skate your way through without having do be skilled or maintain a strong work ethic.

Cons

No where else have I see such blatant and unapologetic favoritism. Not only does this speak volumes to HR, but to management for not having the gumption to do something about it. You'd think they would be sick and tired of hearing this, yet friends and family members of people who have already been taken care of like we are running a day care, continue to be ushered into roles, and we all know why. If you point out the obvious flaw in this, you aren't adhering to our ridiculous yet undefined "culture." Get ready for the powers that be to find, make up, or create reasons to push you out.

I won't repeat what everyone else who complains about favoritism has suggested you do. It falls of deaf years. Way to boost moral. Grow up.

Leaders inspire others

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bright and sunny office, lots of street parking and DOGS IN THE OFFICE!

Cons

I am glad that people are starting to point out the elephants in the room. I too have experienced rude and trivial behavior from senior managers.

About three years ago I was walking through the parking garage and saw the then CEO attempting to lift a large bankers box out of the trunk of her car. She was also trying to hold onto what appeared to be an iPad. I stopped and politely asked her if she needed a hand. I received a very sharp and chilly NO. Ok, she is the CEO, maybe she has a lot on her mind, I thought.

A few weeks later I was exiting the restroom, while she was entering. I held the door for her to grab it, as I would do for any employee. Not only did she seemed irritated, but I didn't even receive a thank you, which I receive from other coworkers.

Then, a few months later she walked past me in the stairwell and ROLLED HER EYES! From then on out I avoided her at all costs. It made me very uncomfortable.

What did I ever do to her?? I am not senior, nor am I a mover and shaker, but I am an employee who works long hours for the company she built. I am a human being.

It turns out that other employees have received these chilly receptions from her when there weren't many people around. It's not like we could go and complain to anyone about the CEO being rude, so we just had to accept it. I know life isn't fair, but something about it just seemed icky.

I know it was a long time ago, but it always stayed with me. People will always remember how you made them feel. I have witnessed other senior managers being rather dismissive of their employees. It really is disgraceful.

Other than that I like my job. My manager is really good. The few times the group has had hiccups she has addressed them promptly, professionally, and with kindness.

You can learn a thing or two from my manager. While she isn't senior, she makes us all feel valued, like a leader should. You can effectively manage and still show compassion for other people.

Good straightforward company

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good location with the ability for many to telecommute if necessary.
    Challenging work.
    Good people to work with.
    Made a move to the cloud.

Cons

There seems to be a lot of non-technical people being put into middle and upper management technical roles.
    They smile, bring in breakfast from time-to-time and are well organized hardworking people but may not be the best drivers for your career.

Hire more strong technical people to solidify your move to the cloud.

The company is finally steering to the right way

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-One of the best I can think of is ROWE (Results only work environment) which makes the work life balance incredibly wonderful
    -After careful pruning of obnoxious managers, the work environment is very productive and comfortable
    -There is an ample opportunity to grow provided you work with dedication
    -Relocation, Employee Stock Purchase Program, Benefits and Bonus Incentive

Cons

-There is a mix of intelligent and few straightforward dumb employees, but this is common in every other company

People need to be appreciated for their hard work. Appreciation is very important for a healthy relationship between the employer and employee, provided they do honest good work.

Good place to work

I have been working at Advent Software

Pros

The relationships I've developed here with my coworkers are some of the key relationships in my life currently. Great office culture. Work life balance is also amazing.

Cons

What plan do we have to accommodate the direction we're trying to go in? Seems like management is trying to just fix as they go instead of trying to develop a plan first.

There are some VERY intelligent people here that can really contribute to the overall direction of the company. Talk to us and take into account our suggestions.

Advent Software Photos