Advent Software

Be The First To
Add Photos

Advent Software President & CEO Pete Hess

Pete Hess

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance for most roles at Advent especially those without a travel component"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Work Life balance, Friendly co-worker, Stable work environment"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "senior management seems to ignore this as if it is normal and happens everywhere"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Career growth is minimal within the company"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

One of the Best company to work with

Finance Department (Current Employee)

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork to life balance, family like environment, pays are ok, most managers are not micro managers.

ConsLimited promotion available. Some incompetent people are getting promoted despite their lack in people and management skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate your employees better, not just those who knows how to suck up to management.

Comfortable place to work

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat work/life balance. Most employees there really care about doing a good job and helping the company succeed. Advent is known for promoting from within, so you can go far with the company if you so desire and can play the corporate game. There is a lot of effort made to give back to the community, as well.

ConsThe salaries offered aren't all that competitive, although the benefits are great. There are some bad apples in high places that have been there a long, long time and are holding the company back - that has caused many good people to leave. It's a tough time to work there as the company is trying to make some big changes and grow up while much of the management team is lacking in much experience outside of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more experienced EMT members from outside the organization to mix it up. Take a good look at HR operations and the employees that have been protected by that department. Don't run your employees into the ground while trying to strive for growth as you will lose good people. While it is admirable to support those who've put in a lot of years for the company by keeping them employed, it isn't always practical - find a new place for them if they can't do the job they are in.

Toxic Senior Manager

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 8 years

Prosat least half of the workforce is smart and motivated

ConsOne executive with manipulative, controlling, petty, and methodical behavior. Will hold grudges for years, is not forward thinking, micro manages and and finds reasons to make people miserable to the point that they look for new jobs. I am confused as to why this is allowed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease identify someone else who can take over and remove this toxicity.

Twilight Zone

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 8 years

ProsYes, Advent has a decent amount of nice people that genuinely want to do good. People tend to stick around for a long time, but this hasn't always been a good thing.

ConsThere are a few tenured employees that are hindering Advent's attempts to grow. We can't continue to pretend that this is ok. Doing so is an insult to everyone's intelligence, efforts, and hard work. The downside to low employee turnover is that some of these employees have things a little too easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the right people on the bus.

It all depends on your manager

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDepending on your manager, Advent can be a great place to grow your career.

ConsThere is a juvenile quality to the HR department that is hard to miss. Unfortunately, a few manipulative mangers are wise to this and use it to their advantage. Wanting to please certain senior managers, these particular employees in HR don't push back or question their motives.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire an outside consulting firm.

Not recommended

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Advent Software full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork life balance, some really nice people, interesting industry

ConsFraternity-like atmosphere from the CEO down. If you're not in his group of friends - or their friends - you're not going anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek an outside consultant; not for a fun offsite, for real change. Have the consultant randomly pick who they are going to speak to so you just don't assign all your friends who have a skewed view. Try and get real, honest feedback.

Less talk and more action needed

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMost people are cool and there is an undeniable laid back atmosphere that allows the self-motivated employees to thrive

Cons- Trivial behavior from a very high ranking and powerful employee that seems to have gone unchecked for many, many years. Not well-liked and not an exceptional leader or manager by any means.
- Oblivious and complacent HR department that doesn't realize what half of the people around here actually do

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from the outside and take a better look at what is going on around here. There are numerous people just hanging around - or worse - creating more harm than good.

Was Great, Now Not So Much

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBase compensation is decent, laid back culture, and (mostly) smart people. Monthly parties at the office, kegerator onsite. Previous annual offsite and kickoff meetings were fun and the company throws legendary happy hours and dinner parties. They spare no expense for booze.

ConsSince Advent has not sold any software in about the last 2 years, not much going on. Maybe business will pick up but until then .... hoping to keep my job. Too few parties now that business has slowed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring Stefanie back. Focus on your customers first, and then the bottom line. Stop the focus on short term profits and invest in your employees and clients.

They were good to me but not the most sophisticated organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Advent Software full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI had a great exec as a manager when I was there.

ConsI found that a few bad apples could spoil the bunch. These people were poison and contributed to a horrible work environment. Their pettiness and arrogance, while subdued to those not in their crosshairs, was overwhelming if you landed on their bad side. What did it take to be on their bad side? Being more capable than them. It didn't take much.

My boss was wise to this, so I was OK for the most part.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people working for you are a direct reflection of you, your values, and your integrity. If someone can't do their own work at a satisfactory level, why are they trusted to handle sensitive information and allowed to constantly point out other employees weaknesses?

Advent is the only company I have worked at where I see this foolishness being humored and tolerated.

Jesus be a new HR department

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere really are some amazingly talented people at Advent. Unfortunately, much of this talent goes untapped.

ConsHR is just BAD and needs to be cleaned out! We are heading in the right direction but lots more work to be done there. Most of us in the know are surprised it took this long. You can only look the other way for so long.

We need sharp and we need no nonsense.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the cons. Once this is taken care of, you'll find that poor managers will begin to leave. They know who in HR to cozy up to and who they can manipulate to push their own agendas.

This may even effect senior management and do so in a good way.

Worked for Advent Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advent Software reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Advent Software CEO Pete Hess. All 113 reviews posted anonymously by Advent Software employees.