Advent Software Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
2.9

Advent Software President & CEO Pete Hess
Pete Hess

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for most roles at Advent especially those without a travel component (in 43 reviews)

• Many smart people and a generally collegial atmosphere (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management seems to ignore this as if it is normal and happens everywhere (in 11 reviews)

• Career growth is based on who you are buddy/buddy with (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place I have ever worked, PERIOD.

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, very stable environment and room to grow. No major lay offs during the recession. Little things like clean bathrooms on every floor, nice clean kitchens and break rooms do make a difference. Location is a plus too. I worked downtown for many years and its gets very old very quickly. This location is nice. Its not slammed at all times of the day like downtown is.

Cons

Because there isnt a lot of turnover, you need to be assertive and let it be known if you want to move into a new role. Nobody is tapping you on the shoulder asking you to move into a new group or position.

Casual environment, smart people

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Casual work environment; they hire great people who are organized and have pretty clear process management throughout the company. I was able to move in between departments pretty easy as it was very easy to network within the company.

Cons

In recent years, the opportunities to grow have really shrunk as it seems the company is trimming down its staff in SF.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/ life balance, very good compensation, great benefits, health advocates, great programs to give back to the community. Great people to work with, you find very intelligent people and very caring. Team work is essential and we help each other throughout the different departments.

Cons

The company has gone through some structural changes and new cloud products that are out in the market. All changes are a bit difficult to digest, but I am very positive the company is going to the right direction.

Advent is the perfect company for a long term career.

Former Employee - Accountant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities are there, some departments are better than others. Once in make connections and move around. Quality of work-life balance. Great community of people and friends. You will make friends there.

Cons

They are going through some changes, but wait for it. They will be back on top soon. Always buy stock and sign up for ESPP plan, buy as much as you can.

Don't forget the people and the shoulders you stand upon.

Great place to work - encourage work/life balance and employee development.

I worked at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A really "nice" company - cares about employees, encourages personal growth and happiness, gives back to the community and good causes.
    Good vision from senior management on where the company needs to go.
    Always found that benefits were good (compensation, PTO, stock, etc).

Cons

Tougher to have an impact in a company this size with very established and focused leaders ... an organization that preaches innovation at all levels but isn't great at listening to new ideas generated outside of senior leadership. ... leading to a broader culture of mid-level folks not always inspired to do a great job for the company's clients.
    Communication from executive team leaves a lot to be desired.

Great Company

Current Employee - Client Support Representative
    Current Employee - Client Support Representative

I have been working at Advent Software full-time

Pros

Employees here are very engaged, intelligent, and fun to work with. Management actively strives to make this a great place to work. The is little to no bureaucracy and management is extremely approachable. Great opportunity for growth for anyone willing to put in the hard work.

Cons

Not many. Paternity leave is only a week. Sometimes we run out of beer/wine during our company all-staff meetings.

Keep striving to be the absolute best in the market. Everyone wants to work for a winner. Keep the continued focus on culture and making this a great place to work.

Great application software company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to work with really smart people and learn a lot, this is the place to go. You'll always be challenged here and never bored.

Cons

Like any tech company, there are a lot of egos here. Some deserved, others not. Management is making a huge bet on the cloud right now.

Bring in more blood from the outside.

Once great, now struggling to find itself

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Mostly great people - intelligent. diligent, and knowledgeable
    * Flexible work schedule, you can work when and where you want
    * Good benefits

Cons

* Confused strategy - changed focus from enterprise to cloud without giving much thought to supporting existing enterprise clients (although this seems to be changing for the better now)
    * Difficult to move up. People in management positions almost never leave, and the company is not growing a whole lot, so not many opportunities for growth
    * Almost the entire management team is home-grown - there is no outside perspective or experience among them
    * Poor alignment between Sales and Development
    * Human Resources don't know what their job is

* Bring in some people from the outside in the mid- and upper-management - someone who knows how to build, deliver, and sell cloud applications
    * Treat employees fairly
    * Focus! Figure out what your strategy is and execute

Great culture, smart people

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, NM

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best things about working at Advent are the people and the culture. Most people I work with are smart, motivated, and genuinely care about helping each other and helping our clients. It was important to the founder that she created a great place to work, and that is still felt across the offices I've been in.

Accountability and focus on performance have increased over the last 2 years as company growth has slowed, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Personally I've benefited from some of the "old guard" leaving...

I also appreciate that we're NOT a start up, we DONT have free lunch and onsite haircuts, etc.... meaning the company is not trying to keep people here for long days/nights. There are sprints and times when all hands are needed, but most of the time there is a lot of flexibility and it's possible to do great at work AND do great at home/personal life.

Cons

The executive team is mostly home grown, and they can be a little insular. This seems to be changing though, with more openness to consulting with outside experts and building networks with others in our same space. Information doesn't always flow to the people who need it, and we are having growing pains still with a new org structure put in place last year.

Comfortable lifestyle...not a great place to grow, however

I worked at Advent Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. You'll have the freedom to work on interesting projects as you see fit (assuming some self-motivation), and you'll typically still be able to go home at 5 consistently, and even have a life outside of work!

Cons

This isn't the sort of place that you'll be able to grow like you would at a competitive big company or a scrappy startup. It allows for too much dead weight to stick around, and it negatively influences the culture (if you want to grow that is)

Advent Software Photos