Advent Software

Updated January 28, 2015
3.3

Advent Software President & CEO Pete Hess
Pete Hess

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for most roles at Advent especially those without a travel component (in 45 reviews)

• Many smart people and a generally collegial atmosphere (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management seems to ignore this as if it is normal and happens everywhere (in 11 reviews)

• Career growth is based on who you are buddy/buddy with (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Staying here as long as I can!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I will stay at Advent as long as they will have me!

The people that work here are laid back and friendly. Advent is big on culture and hires based on it being a good fit. This is the type of place where if you have a question people leap to help you out or will put you in touch with the best person to talk to. I never feel scared to ask for help.

I enjoy coming to work and appreciate the flexible hours. Here they understand you are a person first and an employee second. Things come up in life. As long as you get your work done, if you need to leave for an appointment or work from home, no problem!

Working directly with clients I often hear how much they enjoy our products. It feels good working for a company that has clients who have been with us from the start and are loyal for 20+ years.

Tons of parking around here. Get here about 8am and you can usually get a spot for free. Chill work attire, jeans and a t shirt or nicer top is standard.

Cons

The average Advent employee has been here about 13 years, that's nuts...in the Bay people don't stay that long unless they love it!

That being said, you can run into "well, we used to do it this way..." type conversations. People don't change and the old timers here are slowly getting used to new ways of doing things. (Example, new products, changing up roles...)

Adapting to a changing market is a good thing and we are doing it well.

Great work environment and staff

Former Employee - Data Analyst in New Rochelle, NY
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at Advent Software

Pros

Everyone is treated like an equal and family.

Cons

More job opportunities and maneuverability

Better maneuverability

This chapter is closing for me.

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have spent a large part of my adult life at Advent. I have formed amazing professional relationships as well as close friendships with former and current coworkers.

Cons

I suppose that Advent, like any company, is about perception. What you see, but often more importantly, what you don't see. I've seen some groups work flawlessly well together. I've seen coworkers come together to support the community and volunteer their time. I've raised my glass and laughed with most of them at Happy Hour. But then there is the other side.

The first time I met the founder, about 15 years ago, she was a mean grouch. I suppose you don't have to be nice when you sign the checks. Unfortunately, several other people had the same experience. You don't hear about this that much because she scares people. Hell, she scares me. A petty person with money and power is a scary thing. Some use it for good, others not so much. You can sit on as many boards and participate in as many charities as you like, that doesn't make you a good person. It makes you a person pretending to be a good person.

The current CEO is ok. Investors like him and he is approachable. I'm sure he would be fun to grab a beer with. I suspect he takes much of his cues from the grouch and doesn't want to disappoint her, especially after she handed him the brass ring. Sadly, that means he does not always do the noble thing, especially if Cruella De Vil doesn't approve.

Our HR department is sad. They thrive on approval from management and can be easily manipulated by them. I'm sure most of them think they are doing the right thing, but their view of what goes on is very limited. They rarely see the full picture. They see what management wants them to see, or what they go looking for. The system is flawed. They need a consulting firm to shadow them for a year and assess how they manage hiring, firing, layoffs, reorgs, and general disputes. It's pitiful.

PS - just because it's 7:00 AM, doesn't mean there aren't people in the office. People can hear you on your cell phones as you grab supplies out of the supply room and discuss who is being "monitored" for their behavior. Someone needs to monitor all of you and explain how gossip works. Take a pillow outside on a windy day and rip it open. You might be able to sew the pillow back up, but you can't control where the wind just blew all the feathers. That's gossip. You help bread it, spread it, and make it part of our culture. Don't be a Mean Girls parody.

I know you're all the smartest guys in the room. We may not all drive fancy cars, or do the great things you all do, but we are human beings with lives and families. Try to be honest and treat us with respect, not phony smiles and high fives. We aren't all stupid.

Great first job surrounded by intelligent, motivated people.

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy the ROW model of working. Results Oriented Work.

ROW allows employees (I think this mostly applies to engineers and IT) to essentially set their own hours. Whether you enjoy working from or coming into the office, it's all good as long as the work you are producing is valuable to the company. That's it. I feel very spoiled this being my first job out of college but I don't think I can work at a typical 9 to 5 company after experiencing this style of working.

I also appreciate being surrounded by so many intelligent, qualified people. Everyday I feel like I learn something new just by talking to people.

This is a great place to start your career.

Oh and the benefits are pretty great too.

Cons

One con I've noticed about ROW is that it is hard to know WHEN someone will be in the office or not since there isn't really a strict policy on letting your teammates know your exact schedule. This can make it a little difficult to communicate effectively of the majority of your interactions are through Go to meeting.

This is a small gripe since I haven't experienced this nearly as much as I thought I might. People still enjoy coming into the office most of the time (except Fridays)

Keep trying to evolve the culture and bring in some younger minds. They started this process with my class by hiring around 60 new grads which is great. Keep it up.

Professional Services Consultant

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time

Pros

Solid 31 year history and industry leadership.

Cons

Solid 31 year history and industry leadership

Eat what you're cooking.

Money can't buy class

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It does pay the bills.

Cons

Describing management as petty is an understatement at best. Can we hire an HR team that just watches over the senior managers, instead of one that works for them?

Ok

I worked at Advent Software

Pros

Great work environment, but lack of excitement.

Cons

No excitement, the place lacks adequate challenges.

I worked at Advent Software

Pros

Caring environment of dedicated people.

Cons

Slower growth in a mature market

Great Balance

Current Employee - Renewal Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Renewal Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and team to work with

Cons

limited opportunity for advancement at least in this team

Very corporate, but the team members are very smart and friendly

I have been working at Advent Software

Pros

Great benefits. Great way to build a career - there is an impressive job ladder that was intentionally implemented on behalf of the employees (constant turnoff due to internal promotions does not also benefit the company, but does the employees). Team members are very friendly from my own experience.

Cons

The same with any large company. Sometimes you feel like a number, but it's the nature of the beast. It beats start-ups that only care about selling and not company culture.

Keep up the good work. It's not perfect, but your efforts are recognized and appreciated.

Advent Software Photos