Advent Software Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

2.6

Advent Software President & CEO Pete Hess
Pete Hess

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for most roles at Advent especially those without a travel component (in 34 reviews)

• Work Life balance, Friendly co-worker, Stable work environment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management seems to ignore this as if it is normal and happens everywhere (in 13 reviews)

• Career growth is based on who you are buddy/buddy with (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Crossroads

Former Employee - Professional Services Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Professional Services Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Advent Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great work/life balance
    - Solid facilities
    - Capable and caring colleagues
    - Decent benefits

Cons

- Performance doesn't translate to Reward
    - Work/life balance gets in the way of getting things done
    - Leadership is cult-like
    - Product moving to cloud / mobile is slow moving and falling behind times

Start rewarding for performance.

Established global software company in transition offers opportunities and challenges

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Public company resources with start-up agility and opportunities.
    - Good work/life balance and flexible work schedules.
    - Many smart people and a generally collegial atmosphere.
    - Dog-friendly office in San Francisco headquarters.
    - Global markets and offices afford US and international relocation opportunities.
    - Decent compensation, benefits, 401K, ESOP, and perks.

Cons

- Company is in the midst of a make-or-break transition in its business model.
    - Top management is insular and clubby; they're known as "the frat."
    - There have been several rounds of layoffs in the last 18 months to cut costs.
    - New investors are demanding leaner structure and more aggressive goals.
    - Compensation is somewhat lower than the median for high-tech companies.
    - Company is playing catch-up after years of complacency.

Maybe if you ignore the problem it will go away?

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I don't know. I guess the location is nice.

Cons

HR
    Execs
    Overall culture of immaturity

Get rid of the jerks and children. Be big boys.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What happened???

I worked at Advent Software full-time

Pros

Dogs and some of the people, and that's about it these days. Used to be a place one could get behind but in the recent years things have changed as upper management seems only to care about maintaining margins. Make too much? Poof your job goes to Florida.

Cons

Career growth is based on who you are buddy/buddy with. Skills, work ethic and production are not even factors anymore. Stagnate product offerings across most of the business units. As you can tell from the other reviewers there are other issues too.

Disappointed

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Advent Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love the people I worked with. My colleagues were highly intelligent and yet laid back and friendly. They were supportive. They worked together to solve problems, and they were open to questions. They were very much a family, and I continue to keep in contact with them today.

Cons

There's no mobility or growth. Whatever growth is availble it's lateral pay. You're also overwhelmed with a lot of work because there's not enough employees or support from senior management , which mean you have to put in long hours to complete the project or work.

Put more emphasis in your employees and less on sales or the bottom line this will in turn lead to a better product and company

Depends on your Department and Manager

Current Employee - Client Support Representative  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Client Support Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can personally say that hard work is noticed and rewarded. I have attained 2 promotions in less than 2 years, mainly because I am willing to work hard, and network within the company.

Most people are amazing team members that are a pleasure to work with.

If you are lucky enough to be part of a department that has ROWE as an option, this provides a horrendous work/life balance.

Cons

Hard work is rewarded and praised; however those under-performing do not seem to experience any consequences. High performers are expected to pick up their slack and clean up their messes. Managers struggle to give concrete, meaningful feedback to help these people improve. And even when it is clear that someone is a bad fit, or destructive to the team, management seems powerless to effect change.

Bad performance should have consequences.

Good starting job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to start your career. Great benefits. Good people to work with. Great culture.

Cons

Standard corporate environment when it comes to innovation. Can a bottom line, entry level employee make a recommendation that could vastly improve the workflow model for both the client and the employee? No. You must follow the guidelines of your department. Advent also wrongfully promotes a healthy work/life balance, but still expect to work a minimum 40 hours a week. This isn't something to promote, it's just standard work/life balance in a corporate company; nothing special.

Allow for innovation in each department for each product line. We are "One Advent", yes, but allow us to be one by our morals and values, not by our workflows and schedules.

Horrible experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Advent Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Jacksonville, FL office has a fun corporate culture mostly due to the fact that they merged with Black Diamond Reporting in 2011 and therefore have adopted some of their culture. If you work for Advent, however, you don't always participate in all activities.

Cons

If you are hired by Advent as a Customer Service Representative, prepare for a crazy training period that lasts over two months, has numerous written, oral and practical exams that will literally make you feel sick with worry most of the time providing you are a conscientious employee that cares about your performance.

During the interview process, they will tell you their is an attrition rate on their final certification is 10% and most of the time the person out of a class of 10 or 11 just doesn't get along with everyone or apply themselves to learning the process. We lost 4 out of 12 employees and the number has been as high as an entire class, 100% not passing the final certification.

Realize that you are working with real people with real lives, real mortgages to pay and they decide to leave good jobs to come and work for you. Believe in your very selective 3 to 4 interview process and then train your employees, don't "haze" them.

I left a great job with promises of advancement, my job even countered a higher pay when I decided to leave. Huge regrets here.

Twilight Zone

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Yes, Advent has a decent amount of nice people that genuinely want to do good. People tend to stick around for a long time, but this hasn't always been a good thing.

Cons

There are a few tenured employees that are hindering Advent's attempts to grow. We can't continue to pretend that this is ok. Doing so is an insult to everyone's intelligence, efforts, and hard work. The downside to low employee turnover is that some of these employees have things a little too easy.

Get the right people on the bus.

Like any other business, but with a very odd, but unique atmosphere.

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was told by several employees that they felt they were underpaid. I thought it was decent.

Cons

They are behind the curve when it comes to technology. Their internal software is lacking at best. They don't use quickbooks, but they are behind the eight ball. They have Oracle, but their Oracle team didn't set up the system correctly. For example, they disabled most of the icons and function keys. As a result, they limited themselves in that area. Several work arounds.

Advent recently anounced it will go through a lot of changes. Due to promises to Wall Street, I don't see advancement being an easy route. Anything is possible, but like I said, they are making a lot of changes linked to cost. I don't see advancement as a likely move.

Worked for Advent Software? Contribute to the Community!