Advent Software

Updated September 19, 2014
2.7

Advent Software President & CEO Pete Hess
Pete Hess

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for most roles at Advent especially those without a travel component (in 34 reviews)

• Work Life balance, Friendly co-worker, Stable work environment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management seems to ignore this as if it is normal and happens everywhere (in 13 reviews)

• Career growth is based on who you are buddy/buddy with (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Growth if you fall in the right team

I have been working at Advent Software full-time

Pros

Exposure to work with intelligent people, good work life balance and close to median compensation and packages, relocation

Cons

Management REALLY needs to treat their employees fairly. Employees need a strong, robust and caring management, do away with the dictatorship. Employees who are hard working and care about the company and want to bring back the luster Advent once had need to be rewarded.

Great culture, smart people

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  San Francisco, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, NM

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the best things about working at Advent are the people and the culture. Most people I work with are smart, motivated, and genuinely care about helping each other and helping our clients. It was important to the founder that she created a great place to work, and that is still felt across the offices I've been in.

Accountability and focus on performance have increased over the last 2 years as company growth has slowed, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Personally I've benefited from some of the "old guard" leaving...

I also appreciate that we're NOT a start up, we DONT have free lunch and onsite haircuts, etc.... meaning the company is not trying to keep people here for long days/nights. There are sprints and times when all hands are needed, but most of the time there is a lot of flexibility and it's possible to do great at work AND do great at home/personal life.

Cons

The executive team is mostly home grown, and they can be a little insular. This seems to be changing though, with more openness to consulting with outside experts and building networks with others in our same space. Information doesn't always flow to the people who need it, and we are having growing pains still with a new org structure put in place last year.

Advent is the perfect company for a long term career.

Former Employee - Accountant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Advent Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities are there, some departments are better than others. Once in make connections and move around. Quality of work-life balance. Great community of people and friends. You will make friends there.

Cons

They are going through some changes, but wait for it. They will be back on top soon. Always buy stock and sign up for ESPP plan, buy as much as you can.

Don't forget the people and the shoulders you stand upon.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great application software company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Advent Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you want to work with really smart people and learn a lot, this is the place to go. You'll always be challenged here and never bored.

Cons

Like any tech company, there are a lot of egos here. Some deserved, others not. Management is making a huge bet on the cloud right now.

Bring in more blood from the outside.

Crossroads

Former Employee - Professional Services Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Professional Services Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Advent Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great work/life balance
    - Solid facilities
    - Capable and caring colleagues
    - Decent benefits

Cons

- Performance doesn't translate to Reward
    - Work/life balance gets in the way of getting things done
    - Leadership is cult-like
    - Product moving to cloud / mobile is slow moving and falling behind times

Start rewarding for performance.

Favoritism runs wild. What is going on in Marketing?

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work/life balance, nice offices and top notch benefits.

Cons

Where should I begin?
    There is no leadership. The leadership we do have is sitting in her throne room in the east coast smiling to your face and then talking behind your back. This person has her favorites and only those few get the bonuses, promotions and warm greetings. Cliquish, gossipy, directionless, and clueless are some adjectives that come to mind when describing the leadership team. While the honest few work hard, the marketing leaders sit around and pat themselves on the back, taking credit for ideas and work they didn't even contribute to. Why this has gone unnoticed is just shocking. How many more good people have to leave before someone evaluates this team for effectiveness?

Marketing is keeping the lights on but thats due to the worker bees. Look from within your team. She's the one telling you how great you look in your suit. She's the problem and has no clue how to run a marketing organization for a F1000 company. If you don't believe me, take a look at all the senior people that abandoned ship. It's sheer proof. Any type of leadership has left the building. Replace this person before the entire crew jump ship. I would know because I am among those wanting to leave.

Established global software company in transition offers opportunities and challenges

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Public company resources with start-up agility and opportunities.
    - Good work/life balance and flexible work schedules.
    - Many smart people and a generally collegial atmosphere.
    - Dog-friendly office in San Francisco headquarters.
    - Global markets and offices afford US and international relocation opportunities.
    - Decent compensation, benefits, 401K, ESOP, and perks.

Cons

- Company is in the midst of a make-or-break transition in its business model.
    - Top management is insular and clubby; they're known as "the frat."
    - There have been several rounds of layoffs in the last 18 months to cut costs.
    - New investors are demanding leaner structure and more aggressive goals.
    - Compensation is somewhat lower than the median for high-tech companies.
    - Company is playing catch-up after years of complacency.

Corporate

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Advent Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The financial services industry is not very exciting in general. It is mostly about how to make money (mostly for rich people). So, working at Advent forced me to learn some basic concepts that will benefit me for years to come. I went in knowing very little about how the stock market works, and came out with an above average understanding.

Cons

Another thing you learn about working at a company like Advent is how insignificant you are as a person. You dedicate a good portion of your life to the company, even enjoying working with your colleagues and challenging yourself. You feel like you are a part of something. Over the years you hear about jobs being shipped overseas, and you see your coworkers getting let go to satisfy the investors. It is demoralizing and disgraceful. Then it happens to you, and you realize you haven't developed any skills that will help you with your transition.

You should consider reading the reviews here, like all my friends do before we interview for a position. Then you should work on addressing some of the cons.

Maybe if you ignore the problem it will go away?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I don't know. I guess the location is nice.

Cons

HR
    Execs
    Overall culture of immaturity

Get rid of the jerks and children. Be big boys.

What happened???

I worked at Advent Software full-time

Pros

Dogs and some of the people, and that's about it these days. Used to be a place one could get behind but in the recent years things have changed as upper management seems only to care about maintaining margins. Make too much? Poof your job goes to Florida.

Cons

Career growth is based on who you are buddy/buddy with. Skills, work ethic and production are not even factors anymore. Stagnate product offerings across most of the business units. As you can tell from the other reviewers there are other issues too.

Worked for Advent Software? Contribute to the Community!