Advent Software

Be The First To
Add Photos

Advent Software President & CEO Pete Hess

Pete Hess

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for most roles at Advent especially those without a travel component(in 34 reviews)

• Work Life balance, Friendly co-worker, Stable work environment(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management seems to ignore this as if it is normal and happens everywhere(in 13 reviews)

• Career growth is based on who you are buddy/buddy with(in 10 reviews)

Good starting job

(Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsGood place to start your career. Great benefits. Good people to work with. Great culture.

ConsStandard corporate environment when it comes to innovation. Can a bottom line, entry level employee make a recommendation that could vastly improve the workflow model for both the client and the employee? No. You must follow the guidelines of your department. Advent also wrongfully promotes a healthy work/life balance, but still expect to work a minimum 40 hours a week. This isn't something to promote, it's just standard work/life balance in a corporate company; nothing special.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for innovation in each department for each product line. We are "One Advent", yes, but allow us to be one by our morals and values, not by our workflows and schedules.

What happened???

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDogs and some of the people, and that's about it these days. Used to be a place one could get behind but in the recent years things have changed as upper management seems only to care about maintaining margins. Make too much? Poof your job goes to Florida.

ConsCareer growth is based on who you are buddy/buddy with. Skills, work ethic and production are not even factors anymore. Stagnate product offerings across most of the business units. As you can tell from the other reviewers there are other issues too.

Disappointed

Anonymous (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI love the people I worked with. My colleagues were highly intelligent and yet laid back and friendly. They were supportive. They worked together to solve problems, and they were open to questions. They were very much a family, and I continue to keep in contact with them today.

ConsThere's no mobility or growth. Whatever growth is availble it's lateral pay. You're also overwhelmed with a lot of work because there's not enough employees or support from senior management , which mean you have to put in long hours to complete the project or work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more emphasis in your employees and less on sales or the bottom line this will in turn lead to a better product and company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible experience

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsExcellent Benefits, Jacksonville, FL office has a fun corporate culture mostly due to the fact that they merged with Black Diamond Reporting in 2011 and therefore have adopted some of their culture. If you work for Advent, however, you don't always participate in all activities.

ConsIf you are hired by Advent as a Customer Service Representative, prepare for a crazy training period that lasts over two months, has numerous written, oral and practical exams that will literally make you feel sick with worry most of the time providing you are a conscientious employee that cares about your performance.

During the interview process, they will tell you their is an attrition rate on their final certification is 10% and most of the time the person out of a class of 10 or 11 just doesn't get along with everyone or apply themselves to learning the process. We lost 4 out of 12 employees and the number has been as high as an entire class, 100% not passing the final certification.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that you are working with real people with real lives, real mortgages to pay and they decide to leave good jobs to come and work for you. Believe in your very selective 3 to 4 interview process and then train your employees, don't "haze" them.

I left a great job with promises of advancement, my job even countered a higher pay when I decided to leave. Huge regrets here.

Like any other business, but with a very odd, but unique atmosphere.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI was told by several employees that they felt they were underpaid. I thought it was decent.

ConsThey are behind the curve when it comes to technology. Their internal software is lacking at best. They don't use quickbooks, but they are behind the eight ball. They have Oracle, but their Oracle team didn't set up the system correctly. For example, they disabled most of the icons and function keys. As a result, they limited themselves in that area. Several work arounds.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvent recently anounced it will go through a lot of changes. Due to promises to Wall Street, I don't see advancement being an easy route. Anything is possible, but like I said, they are making a lot of changes linked to cost. I don't see advancement as a likely move.

Depends on your Department and Manager

Client Support Representative (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI can personally say that hard work is noticed and rewarded. I have attained 2 promotions in less than 2 years, mainly because I am willing to work hard, and network within the company.

Most people are amazing team members that are a pleasure to work with.

If you are lucky enough to be part of a department that has ROWE as an option, this provides a horrendous work/life balance.

ConsHard work is rewarded and praised; however those under-performing do not seem to experience any consequences. High performers are expected to pick up their slack and clean up their messes. Managers struggle to give concrete, meaningful feedback to help these people improve. And even when it is clear that someone is a bad fit, or destructive to the team, management seems powerless to effect change.

Advice to Senior ManagementBad performance should have consequences.

Twilight Zone

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYes, Advent has a decent amount of nice people that genuinely want to do good. People tend to stick around for a long time, but this hasn't always been a good thing.

ConsThere are a few tenured employees that are hindering Advent's attempts to grow. We can't continue to pretend that this is ok. Doing so is an insult to everyone's intelligence, efforts, and hard work. The downside to low employee turnover is that some of these employees have things a little too easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the right people on the bus.

Not the same company it used to be

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat work life balance. Nice, smart, people - specifically, the ones in the trenches actually doing the work. Decent compensation. Great benefits. Dogs in the SF office.

ConsThere's a reason most of the reviews here mention nepotism and favoritism by management. It's ridiculous. The only way you'll succeed at this company is if you say YES and cheerlead every inane idea that's promoted by management. Don't disagree with them or you'll be considered a dissenter, you have "challenges to overcome," you'll have a target on your back, you won't get choice assignments and your career growth at the company will be stalled. I've seen it happen to enough people to see a pattern. It's juvenile and petty. How about rewarding talented employees for actually doing good work and keeping clients happy, instead of promoting sycophants? Recent layoffs also made no sense. Veteran players who had deep knowledge of core products were laid off in lieu of hiring double the number of new cheaper junior engineers to build flashy new & highly unproven stuff. Advent has thrown the baby out with the bath water in its race to reinvent itself. Shortsighted. Advent used to be a good place to work but no more. Expect more employees to leave in the coming year.

Gross

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt is hard to come up with any after the last two years

ConsThe favoritism is disgusting. HR is incompetent and I do not trust them. I am tired of beating my head against the wall in an attempt to explain things, or ask them to back off. They cause more problems. Period.

Advice to Senior Managementfigure it out

Advent is a nice place to work with pleasant employees and a causal atmosphere.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAdvent makes software solutions in a very healthy industry, and the casual atmosphere makes this a nice place to work.

ConsLegacy products that trail the technology curve. The products are solid, but lag behind emerging competitors. While the reinvention of the company and the products is underway, it's unclear whether the strategy to modernize can be accomplished in time, or whether market forces will overtake the company. In the meantime, many employees hold their breath and take a wait and see attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions of the people at the very top reinforce negative impressions throughout the rest of the company. It seems the most visible people reap all of the rewards. This is especially discouraging and demotivating in the current climate where reorganizations and targeted layoffs erode morale.

Worked for Advent Software? Contribute to the Community!