Advent Software Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
3.1

Advent Software President & CEO Pete Hess
Pete Hess

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for most roles at Advent especially those without a travel component (in 45 reviews)

• Many smart people and a generally collegial atmosphere (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management seems to ignore this as if it is normal and happens everywhere (in 11 reviews)

• Career growth is based on who you are buddy/buddy with (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/ life balance, very good compensation, great benefits, health advocates, great programs to give back to the community. Great people to work with, you find very intelligent people and very caring. Team work is essential and we help each other throughout the different departments.

Cons

The company has gone through some structural changes and new cloud products that are out in the market. All changes are a bit difficult to digest, but I am very positive the company is going to the right direction.

Great company with intelligent and hardworking co-workers

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent group of people, work-life balance is important at Advent, ROWE, work from home, and continuous growth and opportunity.

Cons

Personal growth has to be strongly self managed, executive management does a great job but does seem a bit out of touch, pay increases are below inflation or non existent, but work life balance is high. Lots of changes in structure have caused people to feel unstable and insecurity in their work place.

Talking to employees, other than manager may help executive management understand where employees are and how they feel after many changes that shook up the company.

Intern Experience

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Advent Software as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Great way to learn in a stable environment
    -Company is very inclusive of interns
    -Intern events with management team

Cons

-Not as much to do at times, but it was still a great overall experience.

Great Company

Current Employee - Client Support Representative
    Current Employee - Client Support Representative

I have been working at Advent Software full-time

Pros

Employees here are very engaged, intelligent, and fun to work with. Management actively strives to make this a great place to work. The is little to no bureaucracy and management is extremely approachable. Great opportunity for growth for anyone willing to put in the hard work.

Cons

Not many. Paternity leave is only a week. Sometimes we run out of beer/wine during our company all-staff meetings.

Keep striving to be the absolute best in the market. Everyone wants to work for a winner. Keep the continued focus on culture and making this a great place to work.

Good place to work

I have been working at Advent Software

Pros

The relationships I've developed here with my coworkers are some of the key relationships in my life currently. Great office culture. Work life balance is also amazing.

Cons

What plan do we have to accommodate the direction we're trying to go in? Seems like management is trying to just fix as they go instead of trying to develop a plan first.

There are some VERY intelligent people here that can really contribute to the overall direction of the company. Talk to us and take into account our suggestions.

Going in the right direction

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work with really smart and interesting people, the work itself is constantly changing (new features, new project teams) which keeps it fresh and challenging. The leadership of product development is capable and works as hard as the engineers do.

Cons

The amount of change has been hard for some folks to deal with- frequently swapped out to work on different teams. But being agile, scrum process is used consistently and that makes the transitions easier. It hasn't always felt like the whole company is pointing in the same direction, but that is getting better too.

keep working on getting solutions strategy right

Advent is the perfect company for a long term career.

Former Employee - Accountant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities are there, some departments are better than others. Once in make connections and move around. Quality of work-life balance. Great community of people and friends. You will make friends there.

Cons

They are going through some changes, but wait for it. They will be back on top soon. Always buy stock and sign up for ESPP plan, buy as much as you can.

Don't forget the people and the shoulders you stand upon.

Best place I have ever worked, PERIOD.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, very stable environment and room to grow. No major lay offs during the recession. Little things like clean bathrooms on every floor, nice clean kitchens and break rooms do make a difference. Location is a plus too. I worked downtown for many years and its gets very old very quickly. This location is nice. Its not slammed at all times of the day like downtown is.

Cons

Because there isnt a lot of turnover, you need to be assertive and let it be known if you want to move into a new role. Nobody is tapping you on the shoulder asking you to move into a new group or position.

Great culture, smart people

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, NM

I have been working at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best things about working at Advent are the people and the culture. Most people I work with are smart, motivated, and genuinely care about helping each other and helping our clients. It was important to the founder that she created a great place to work, and that is still felt across the offices I've been in.

Accountability and focus on performance have increased over the last 2 years as company growth has slowed, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Personally I've benefited from some of the "old guard" leaving...

I also appreciate that we're NOT a start up, we DONT have free lunch and onsite haircuts, etc.... meaning the company is not trying to keep people here for long days/nights. There are sprints and times when all hands are needed, but most of the time there is a lot of flexibility and it's possible to do great at work AND do great at home/personal life.

Cons

The executive team is mostly home grown, and they can be a little insular. This seems to be changing though, with more openness to consulting with outside experts and building networks with others in our same space. Information doesn't always flow to the people who need it, and we are having growing pains still with a new org structure put in place last year.

Great application software company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Advent Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to work with really smart people and learn a lot, this is the place to go. You'll always be challenged here and never bored.

Cons

Like any tech company, there are a lot of egos here. Some deserved, others not. Management is making a huge bet on the cloud right now.

Bring in more blood from the outside.

Advent Software Photos