Advent Software

Add Photos

Advent Software President & CEO Pete Hess

Pete Hess

68 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One of the Best company to work with

Finance Department (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsWork to life balance, family like environment, pays are ok, most managers are not micro managers.

ConsLimited promotion available. Some incompetent people are getting promoted despite their lack in people and management skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate your employees better, not just those who knows how to suck up to management.

Like any other business, but with a very odd, but unique atmosphere.

San Francisco, CA

ProsI was told by several employees that they felt they were underpaid. I thought it was decent.

ConsThey are behind the curve when it comes to technology. Their internal software is lacking at best. They don't use quickbooks, but they are behind the eight ball. They have Oracle, but their Oracle team didn't set up the system correctly. For example, they disabled most of the icons and function keys. As a result, they limited themselves in that area. Several work arounds.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvent recently anounced it will go through a lot of changes. Due to promises to Wall Street, I don't see advancement being an easy route. Anything is possible, but like I said, they are making a lot of changes linked to cost. I don't see advancement as a likely move.

Depends on your Department and Manager

Client Support Representative (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI can personally say that hard work is noticed and rewarded. I have attained 2 promotions in less than 2 years, mainly because I am willing to work hard, and network within the company.

Most people are amazing team members that are a pleasure to work with.

If you are lucky enough to be part of a department that has ROWE as an option, this provides a horrendous work/life balance.

ConsHard work is rewarded and praised; however those under-performing do not seem to experience any consequences. High performers are expected to pick up their slack and clean up their messes. Managers struggle to give concrete, meaningful feedback to help these people improve. And even when it is clear that someone is a bad fit, or destructive to the team, management seems powerless to effect change.

Advice to Senior ManagementBad performance should have consequences.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Advent is a nice place to work with pleasant employees and a causal atmosphere.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsAdvent makes software solutions in a very healthy industry, and the casual atmosphere makes this a nice place to work.

ConsLegacy products that trail the technology curve. The products are solid, but lag behind emerging competitors. While the reinvention of the company and the products is underway, it's unclear whether the strategy to modernize can be accomplished in time, or whether market forces will overtake the company. In the meantime, many employees hold their breath and take a wait and see attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions of the people at the very top reinforce negative impressions throughout the rest of the company. It seems the most visible people reap all of the rewards. This is especially discouraging and demotivating in the current climate where reorganizations and targeted layoffs erode morale.

Comfortable place to work

San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat work/life balance. Most employees there really care about doing a good job and helping the company succeed. Advent is known for promoting from within, so you can go far with the company if you so desire and can play the corporate game. There is a lot of effort made to give back to the community, as well.

ConsThe salaries offered aren't all that competitive, although the benefits are great. There are some bad apples in high places that have been there a long, long time and are holding the company back - that has caused many good people to leave. It's a tough time to work there as the company is trying to make some big changes and grow up while much of the management team is lacking in much experience outside of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more experienced EMT members from outside the organization to mix it up. Take a good look at HR operations and the employees that have been protected by that department. Don't run your employees into the ground while trying to strive for growth as you will lose good people. While it is admirable to support those who've put in a lot of years for the company by keeping them employed, it isn't always practical - find a new place for them if they can't do the job they are in.

Gross

San Francisco, CA

ProsIt is hard to come up with any after the last two years

ConsThe favoritism is disgusting. HR is incompetent and I do not trust them. I am tired of beating my head against the wall in an attempt to explain things, or ask them to back off. They cause more problems. Period.

Advice to Senior Managementfigure it out

Toxic Senior Manager

San Francisco, CA

Prosat least half of the workforce is smart and motivated

ConsOne executive with manipulative, controlling, petty, and methodical behavior. Will hold grudges for years, is not forward thinking, micro manages and and finds reasons to make people miserable to the point that they look for new jobs. I am confused as to why this is allowed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease identify someone else who can take over and remove this toxicity.

Twilight Zone

San Francisco, CA

ProsYes, Advent has a decent amount of nice people that genuinely want to do good. People tend to stick around for a long time, but this hasn't always been a good thing.

ConsThere are a few tenured employees that are hindering Advent's attempts to grow. We can't continue to pretend that this is ok. Doing so is an insult to everyone's intelligence, efforts, and hard work. The downside to low employee turnover is that some of these employees have things a little too easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the right people on the bus.

Not the same company it used to be

San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat work life balance. Nice, smart, people - specifically, the ones in the trenches actually doing the work. Decent compensation. Great benefits. Dogs in the SF office.

ConsThere's a reason most of the reviews here mention nepotism and favoritism by management. It's ridiculous. The only way you'll succeed at this company is if you say YES and cheerlead every inane idea that's promoted by management. Don't disagree with them or you'll be considered a dissenter, you have "challenges to overcome," you'll have a target on your back, you won't get choice assignments and your career growth at the company will be stalled. I've seen it happen to enough people to see a pattern. It's juvenile and petty. How about rewarding talented employees for actually doing good work and keeping clients happy, instead of promoting sycophants? Recent layoffs also made no sense. Veteran players who had deep knowledge of core products were laid off in lieu of hiring double the number of new cheaper junior engineers to build flashy new & highly unproven stuff. Advent has thrown the baby out with the bath water in its race to reinvent itself. Shortsighted. Advent used to be a good place to work but no more. Expect more employees to leave in the coming year.

They were good to me but not the most sophisticated organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI had a great exec as a manager when I was there.

ConsI found that a few bad apples could spoil the bunch. These people were poison and contributed to a horrible work environment. Their pettiness and arrogance, while subdued to those not in their crosshairs, was overwhelming if you landed on their bad side. What did it take to be on their bad side? Being more capable than them. It didn't take much.

My boss was wise to this, so I was OK for the most part.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people working for you are a direct reflection of you, your values, and your integrity. If someone can't do their own work at a satisfactory level, why are they trusted to handle sensitive information and allowed to constantly point out other employees weaknesses?

Advent is the only company I have worked at where I see this foolishness being humored and tolerated.

Worked for Advent Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advent Software reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Advent Software CEO Pete Hess. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Advent Software employees.