Adventist Health System

Management Intern

Former Employee - Management Intern
    Former Employee - Management Intern

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work hours were good
    People were great and had the same values that I hold
    The organization really takes care of it's employees' whole health
    Family oriented culture (almost everyone I worked with had kids)
    Challenging industry that kept me engaged
    Very strong Balance Sheet which points to growth opportunities ahead

Cons

The industry in itself is slow moving on the business side
    Easy to feel disconnected from the clinical side of the hospital

You are doing a great job!

Excellent place to work, great experience

Current Employee - Senior Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Developer

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

AHS is a faith-based organization, which isn't a good or bad thing. It does seem to be that allowing people to openly practice their religion, such as praying before meetings and other such things, goes a long way to making people more comfortable. I haven't really met an unpleasant person but with corporate and IS buildings having a few thousand people it's hard to meet them all. The few executives I get to interact with are friendly and approachable, my immediate manager and director I consider friends outside of work as well as my teammates. There are plenty of opportunities to grow and learn and AHS will send you to technical conferences and pay for other training to keep your skills sharp.

The benefits are decent with a 403(b) match that's pretty much the standard. Medical, dental and vision are not bad and seem to be on par with the norm for large companies. Time off policy is pretty good with a percentage of your time worked going into your PDO (Paid Days Off) bank. The work culture is actually pretty good for a company as large as AHS and the work/home balance is very good.

Cons

It's rather easy to have your requests lost in the shuffle in such a massive company. Politics are always the name of the game so don't expect something that you, your manager, and even your director thinks is a great idea to get signed off as an official project because it is not a good political move. Even when it is something that will positively affect AHS's 70,000+ employees, if it's not a good political move then it won't happen. Management is always playing chess with the other teams which can get aggravating real fast. You have to deduct from your PDO bank in order to take holidays off. AHS corporate and IS observe what are called "modified" holidays, such as the Friday before and day of Labor Day (instead of just Labor Day). If you want to work on the modified holiday so you don't have to burn PDO, you'll probably be flat out denied at the executive level. I don't see where it makes a difference because your PDO will just be the same as your base salary for that day anyway...

Don't expect to climb the ladder that quickly, you'll probably get stuck at manager, or senior manager if you're lucky, because the directors and executives are not quick to go anywhere.

Allow your employees to CHOOSE to work on a modified holiday. Not all of us have PDO to burn on days we would otherwise be working, plus lots of us have project deadlines to hit and can't afford to take a random day off.

Intern Experience

I worked at Adventist Health System as an intern

Pros

Good people, great organization, and decent pay.

Cons

Not as much actual work experience as I would have liked. I was used more or less where they were short, which I don't have an issue with, but I would have liked to experience the actual job more often.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Faithbased Organization

Former Employee - Rather Not Say  in  Altamonte Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Altamonte Springs, FL

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great organization that means well. Incredible on-boarding experience at times dependent on the manager you receive or the director it can be micromanaged. They have a spiritual methodology that is nice and relieving of Stress. I spent many nights at home being able to sleep. There is a great work life balance. Medical Benefits on day 1 if your in corporate. They are putting in new technology everyday so they are definitely keeping up with the times. They do a lot of preaching of love and mentor one another as the Lord asks them too..

Cons

They don't always practice what they preach. The lower management goes against company policy and upper management will never do anything because the lower management hide it well. They don't take employees at face value even though they preach fairness and when it comes to company policy and methodology its dismissive. The company states that they preach togetherness and support but at times it's lacking in the management.

Truly practice what you preach. No one is beyond reproach. Continue to support your people and give everyone a chance and don't be dismissive of your employees. When your extending the healing ministries of Christ your not suppose to slap your employees with it.

It was a job

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people who arent in management really do care. I mean the majority really love their careers. It was really hard to say goodbye but after 3 years of the cons you will see why.

Cons

As a nurse, "we are replaceable" as stated by management. They always made me and other rns that being employed by this company is a gift.

Now finally, in hindsight, I can compare and say they truly underpay and benefits are bland at best.

Advice to management is that there are multiple promises used on employees.

The company was very family oriented and people were very friendly.

Current Employee - Credential Coordinator  in  Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Credential Coordinator in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work environment, moral atmosphere and leadership, good benefits, time off.

Cons

Low pay compared to other companies, poor job training.

This company was very "top heavy" a lot of money spent on unnecessary trips to Florida for management.

Learning

Former Employee - Informatics Optimization Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Informatics Optimization Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Advancement is slow with the corporate facility

Provide more feedback on evaluations

Corporate...

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Altamonte Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Altamonte Springs, FL

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good wages, great people (mostly), flexible hours.

Cons

Corporate slowness to get critical issues taken care of.

Trust the people you have hired to get their job done. Too much micromanagement.

Management leadership

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For me working in a religious health care environment allows health care providers the ability to pray with patients and family members for health openly. Daily prayer sessions are encouraged for staff, patients and their family members.

Cons

In the region I am employed, senior leadership is young and the opportunity for advancement is not plentiful.

Salaries are not on par with market

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nice people!! Nice marketing theme- Extending the healing ministry of Christ

Cons

Executives are well paid, but employees hardly recive a salary.

Be fair!! From top to bottom. Do not pay Lars 2,000,000. per annum and a CNA 8.5 or 9 dollars per hour.

Worked for Adventist Health System? Contribute to the Community!