Adventist Health System

Updated November 14, 2014
3.5

Adventist Health System President, CEO, and Director Donald L. Jernigan
Donald L. Jernigan

Pros
  • Good wages, great people (mostly), flexible hours (in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits, promote healthy lifestyle through wellness program, the majority of non-management personnel were pretty decent people to work with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to other companies, poor job training (in 3 reviews)

• Lack of clinicians in upper management - too focused on numbers instead of patient care (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great family oriented hospital.

Former Employee - Environmental Services in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Environmental Services in Orlando, FL

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment and benefits

Cons

Management and supervisors, micro management

Give employees respect and rewards for great service.

Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Good environment, Work with you to grow and achieve your goals.

Cons

Schedule is rigid, long hours when projects are due, pay is fairly competitive but entry pay is a bit low.

Awesome

Current Employee - Clinical Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Clinical Systems Analyst

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very caring company to work for. Opportunities to grow and hone skills. Educational financial assistance is available for higher learning. Beautiful office building.

Cons

Long hours due to resource deficits. Healthcare and PDO could be a little better. Timelines are often unrealistic and too tight especially given lack of qualified resources.

Keep the talent you have by promoting from within. Conduct exit assessments to find out why so many have left.

By far the worst company that I have ever worked for!

Former Employee - Insurance Specialist in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Insurance Specialist in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits used to be great but even those are going downhill.

Cons

Micro-managing. Supervisors that don't know the jobs that they oversee but try to act like you the employee that does in fact know your job is always wrong. Poor leadership and Management that belittles you every opportunity that they get (TallGrass Pre-Access Management to be exact). Very high turnover rate. Hmmmm wonder why!

Get rid of your severely unqualified Pre-Access management team. They are not a good representation of what Adventist Health Systems says it strives for in patient care and mission statement.

Management Intern

Former Employee - Management Intern
    Former Employee - Management Intern

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work hours were good
    People were great and had the same values that I hold
    The organization really takes care of it's employees' whole health
    Family oriented culture (almost everyone I worked with had kids)
    Challenging industry that kept me engaged
    Very strong Balance Sheet which points to growth opportunities ahead

Cons

The industry in itself is slow moving on the business side
    Easy to feel disconnected from the clinical side of the hospital

You are doing a great job!

Excellent place to work, great experience

Current Employee - Senior Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Developer

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AHS is a faith-based organization, which isn't a good or bad thing. It does seem to be that allowing people to openly practice their religion, such as praying before meetings and other such things, goes a long way to making people more comfortable. I haven't really met an unpleasant person but with corporate and IS buildings having a few thousand people it's hard to meet them all. The few executives I get to interact with are friendly and approachable, my immediate manager and director I consider friends outside of work as well as my teammates. There are plenty of opportunities to grow and learn and AHS will send you to technical conferences and pay for other training to keep your skills sharp.

The benefits are decent with a 403(b) match that's pretty much the standard. Medical, dental and vision are not bad and seem to be on par with the norm for large companies. Time off policy is pretty good with a percentage of your time worked going into your PDO (Paid Days Off) bank. The work culture is actually pretty good for a company as large as AHS and the work/home balance is very good.

Cons

It's rather easy to have your requests lost in the shuffle in such a massive company. Politics are always the name of the game so don't expect something that you, your manager, and even your director thinks is a great idea to get signed off as an official project because it is not a good political move. Even when it is something that will positively affect AHS's 70,000+ employees, if it's not a good political move then it won't happen. Management is always playing chess with the other teams which can get aggravating real fast. You have to deduct from your PDO bank in order to take holidays off. AHS corporate and IS observe what are called "modified" holidays, such as the Friday before and day of Labor Day (instead of just Labor Day). If you want to work on the modified holiday so you don't have to burn PDO, you'll probably be flat out denied at the executive level. I don't see where it makes a difference because your PDO will just be the same as your base salary for that day anyway...

Don't expect to climb the ladder that quickly, you'll probably get stuck at manager, or senior manager if you're lucky, because the directors and executives are not quick to go anywhere.

Allow your employees to CHOOSE to work on a modified holiday. Not all of us have PDO to burn on days we would otherwise be working, plus lots of us have project deadlines to hit and can't afford to take a random day off.

Intern Experience

I worked at Adventist Health System as an intern

Pros

Good people, great organization, and decent pay.

Cons

Not as much actual work experience as I would have liked. I was used more or less where they were short, which I don't have an issue with, but I would have liked to experience the actual job more often.

No belief in God

I have been working at Adventist Health System

Pros

None. Adventists are a cult and use the medical system to rip people off.

Cons

Horrible. Rude. Jesus was nowhere to be heard or seen

Get ready for the fire of HELL.

Faithbased Organization

Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Altamonte Springs, FL

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great organization that means well. Incredible on-boarding experience at times dependent on the manager you receive or the director it can be micromanaged. They have a spiritual methodology that is nice and relieving of Stress. I spent many nights at home being able to sleep. There is a great work life balance. Medical Benefits on day 1 if your in corporate. They are putting in new technology everyday so they are definitely keeping up with the times. They do a lot of preaching of love and mentor one another as the Lord asks them too..

Cons

They don't always practice what they preach. The lower management goes against company policy and upper management will never do anything because the lower management hide it well. They don't take employees at face value even though they preach fairness and when it comes to company policy and methodology its dismissive. The company states that they preach togetherness and support but at times it's lacking in the management.

Truly practice what you preach. No one is beyond reproach. Continue to support your people and give everyone a chance and don't be dismissive of your employees. When your extending the healing ministries of Christ your not suppose to slap your employees with it.

It was a job

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people who arent in management really do care. I mean the majority really love their careers. It was really hard to say goodbye but after 3 years of the cons you will see why.

Cons

As a nurse, "we are replaceable" as stated by management. They always made me and other rns that being employed by this company is a gift.

Now finally, in hindsight, I can compare and say they truly underpay and benefits are bland at best.

Advice to management is that there are multiple promises used on employees.