Adventist HealthCare

2.6

Bill Robertson

Entry Level

I have been working at Adventist HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice company to start off with

Cons

Advancement depends on too many factors outside of your skills

it's okay

Very tough to succeed here, hard work is satisfying but administration is not supportive of line staff and poor benefits

Former Employee - Supervisor in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Rockville, MD

I worked at Adventist HealthCare

Pros

Great team members, fast paced. Good place for new grads to learn and take experience with you to an organization that will value it.

Cons

Low salary ranges, far below average in this area, health benefits are not good, very little vacation time and no paid holidays, managment makes it tough to use your leave time because of under staffed.

Put your employees needs first, treat them like the valued and commuted service providers that they are. You will always continue to lose good staff if you continue to under pay and over work your employees.

2014: AHC Transitions to a New CEO - Terry Forde

Current Employee - Consultant in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Consultant in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Adventist HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A faith based organization that employs an incredibly diverse staff. The new CEO, Terry Forde, understands there is a healthy balance in delivering outstanding care to patients, providing support to employees and collaborating with physicians. He is interested in innovation and creativity - a breath of fresh air in healthcare today. Executive leadership has and will continue to commit to developing its leaders. Also proactive in offering healthy living resources/services to all employees.

Cons

Frontline staff and middle managers stretched further each quarter continually having to do more and more with less. It may take awhile for the new CEOs philosophies, thinking and practices to trickle down. Compensation tends to below competitors yet other benefits may fill the need for some employees.

Increase future budgets to allow for more employees to take advantage of academic endeavors. Stay vigilant in quashing the rumors (fear) that one could be fired for speaking out.

Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Adventist HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

80% of the people you will work with here, are the reason you come to work. That and the front line hospital workers if you ever are on the receiving end of their care.

Cons

The other 20% of the people, the extreme amount of politics, and lack of organizational structure make a hostile and vapid environment.

I have seen many that take responsibility and have great work ethic be passed up on the scarce occasion there is a promotions. They are usually handed to individuals who have the right persons ear.

Adobt a ROWE(Results only work environment) model and actually put forward processes and procedures that are actionable. Pen to paper, actions over words. The entropy is ignored.

Good people, company with limited willingness to invest in its employees or innovations.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Adventist HealthCare

Pros

It's great to work for a faith-based nonprofit where the mission matters and people really care about each other

Cons

Way behind its competitors in patient care innovations and investments in workplace satisfaction, professional development etc. Also often management is too "nice" to fire incompetent employees.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Focus more on investments in quality and less on cutting costs. If you do this you will retain your top talent and produce the outcomes you desire.

Good place to start but difficult to stay...

I worked at Adventist HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart, kind people generally work here. I generally found I enjoyed the team work atmosphere and that my ideas were taken into consideration.

Cons

Seem to be reluctant to move towards new systems and processes. Interfaces between systems were old and out of date and management was willing to proceed even with incorrect items in place.

miscommunication

Former Employee - CNA in Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - CNA in Waldorf, MD

I worked at Adventist HealthCare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best reason for working here is the clients you work with cause no 1 case is ever the same

Cons

Pay for mileage, miscommunication, a lot of mess ups on checks

some workers talk to employees and clients any kind of way. Believe there are no such things as emergency's if you cant be coverefd

Great people to work with! Very much team oriented. Everyone worked together for the good of the patients!

Current Contractor - Administrative Receptionist in Portland, OR
    Current Contractor - Administrative Receptionist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Adventist HealthCare as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I had a contract job so I wasn't paid very much but I didn't mind because it was a great atmosphere to work in. Everyone was constantly trying to find ways to better service the patients. The office I was in was laid back which made for a stress free environment. When the census was large everyone was busy but never to the point of stressed out. Also, they are really great about time off.

Cons

There was some office drama, but what office doesn't have that? I would have liked to see more communication across different departments. They were very separated, and it made it difficult to work together when we needed too.

A good place to work.

I worked at Adventist HealthCare

Pros

Good supervision, supportive staff members

Cons

Upper management not transparent about policies
    Too rigid

Poor work expectations - overworked and under staffed

Current Employee - Strategic Systems in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Strategic Systems in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Adventist HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Misery must love company, there are wonderful people working for this organization. Top executives are being replaced so there is hope!

Cons

Must be Adventist to rise to any degree within this organization. Executive management starting with the CEO is by far the worst I have ever worked for as they have a slave mentality that belittles and degrades a person self worth.

Consider acting like a religious bases organization. Treat employees with respect and dignity.