Adventist HealthCare

Add Photos

Bill Robertson

Good

I have been working at Adventist HealthCare

ProsThe staff is great for the most part

Conspay is not comparable to regional hospital

Poor work expectations - overworked and under staffed

Strategic Systems (Current Employee)
Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Adventist HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMisery must love company, there are wonderful people working for this organization. Top executives are being replaced so there is hope!

ConsMust be Adventist to rise to any degree within this organization. Executive management starting with the CEO is by far the worst I have ever worked for as they have a slave mentality that belittles and degrades a person self worth.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider acting like a religious bases organization. Treat employees with respect and dignity.

Good but not great

I worked at Adventist HealthCare full-time

ProsFriendly coworkers and staff, help you with your work schedule

Conspay is not great, better management

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better

There is major separation between departments, but all work together for the betterment of the company as a whole.

Program Advisor (Former Employee)
Rockville, MD

I worked at Adventist HealthCare part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible work hours, caring management

ConsNot really opportunity for advancement

Are You Valued

I worked at Adventist HealthCare full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMany great people who care about the work that they do.

ConsManagement does not value the hard work staff does

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to listen to employees

Decent place to Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Adventist HealthCare as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Work with great people
-Great Networking in the health field, attend a ton of health expos/fairs at various hospitals and community centers around the DMV
-Interns given a lot of freedom as far as scheduling and choosing what projects you work on
-feel like you are making an impact on peoples health

Cons-VERY small stipend (but I received college credit so can't complain too much)
-lots of traveling to events, be prepared to fork over a lot of money for gas
-coordinators and supervisors are not always in the office so it is hard to communicate with them about events and projects.. youll have lots of free time one week and then the next they're giving you a ton of projects at the last minute expecting you to have them done for them by the end of the day
-have to spread resources thin

Advice to Senior ManagementHard to give much advice since it is a non-profit company, keep hiring great people but enforce everyone to be in the office more

Adventist Healthcare system over all

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Takoma Park, MD

I have been working at Adventist HealthCare full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, Great patient care

ConsBetter screening for Directors and Management

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from your successful competitors

Lost touch of how to value its employees.

I have been working at Adventist HealthCare full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt is a faith based organization (although lately you wouldn't know it by how it's executives are treating their employees), and there are awesome people there who can become friends for life.

ConsThe cons really came in within the last few years, many people are insecure about whether they will have a job next week. This added stress and the corporate politics have left employees feeling under-valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking to enhance your coffers and start doing what is in the best interest of the staff. Address the divide between entities and don't be afraid to let those go at the top of the organization that have demonstrated that their time is up and it's time for new leadership. Also, stop firing middle management and front-line staff. That is not the answer to your problems.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Zero accountability for Directors and VPs

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Adventist HealthCare

ProsTime off policy, flexibility with work, Informal work environment

ConsZero accountability, Unfair and incompetent Directors and VPs. Top heavy. Directors and VPs get bonuses and pay hikes while staff are left with nothing. There are several highly incompetent and unqualified directors that are hampering staff from doing good work due to their own insecurities and lack of skills. This creates a rather difficult work environment if you are a top performer.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring fairness of the mission to work everyday. It is not sufficient to merely do lip service by stating that we respect the infinite worth of every individual while letting some incompetent directors and VPs treat staff like sheep. Also please bring transparency to compensation. For the past few years managers and VPS have got bonuses and staffing has been cut or reduced on nursing units and departments. It's better to invest money in hiring more nurses to provide patient care rather than to spend on lavish bonuses to management who are essentially overheads. This results in unsafe work environment (especially on night shifts on inpatient,OR and ER areas). If you have one nurse taking care of 8 patients and you pay bonus to the director of the unit you are ultimately going to incur more costs.

The llife blood for Adventist healthcare is our patients and the care givers. Please don't forget that or everyone suffers.

Get rid of incompetent directors and middle management. Ask staff for feedback to figure out who the incompetent directors area. There are a lot in finance, who do not even have a finance degree or background and can't tell the difference between EBITDA and Gross Revenue. There are several half baked directors who rely on one or two competent staff to get by. They have never managed people previously and should never ever have been a manager. They only got here because they knew someone higher.

Please promote merit and clean out unqualified staff.

Could be a great place to work but has very poor leadership

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Adventist HealthCare

ProsFlexible work schedule, very good benefits, great leave policy and wonderful people to work with.

ConsPoor financial perfomance, poor managment, ill-equipped leaders, absolutely no technology of any kind. I am surprised we are not still using stone tablets. They have great people but do nothing to nuture them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease reasearch and think through your decisions before poorly implementing plan. Invest in the future of your employees.

Worked for Adventist HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Adventist HealthCare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Adventist HealthCare CEO Bill Robertson. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Adventist HealthCare employees.