Adventist Medical Center

14 reviews filtered by
4.0
Adventist Medical Center President & CEO Joyce Newmyer
Joyce Newmyer

1. A culture focused on mission and values. Overall, a great place to work!

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AMC cares about me as person. Committed to supporting and responding to the needs of all team members. Mission and values are modeled in interactions and decision-making. Great opportunities to learn, grow, and share input.

Cons

Busy and ever-changing environment based on the healthcare landscape. Difficult but necessary to thrive.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain transparency and ensure communication occurs at all levels of the organization. Take steps to empower decision making and maintain accountability of leaders and staff. Greatly appreciate the dedication and commitment of our team to ensure we are improving processes and systems to drive high quality patient care.

Mar 12, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback, I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling fulfilled in your work here.

You're thoughts on the ever-changing healthcare environment are insightful. We'll continue to
    ... More

2. Talented and caring team that fosters personal and professional growth.

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very supportive team that encourages skill development and service excellence. Great opportunity for growth and transitions to more responsibility/higher compensation etc. Emphasis on constant improvement individually and as a team. Strong emphasis on mission that promotes consistent service excellence.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a struggle because everyone works really hard and you don't want to be the weak link in the team. Constant change among programs and services, but that's consistent with all healthcare organizations these days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency. Set the example for prioritizing and setting healthy limits.

Mar 12, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thank you for the insight into what helps our team members feel fulfilled and engaged.

Transparency is a big word in healthcare these days. We'll continue to emphasize this as we move forward
    ... More

3. Great place to work!

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Adventist Medical Center is a fantastic place to work. Executive leadership is committed to both excellence in the care we provide to patients and to employee satisfaction. Additionally AMC seems to genuinely care about the physical, mental and spiritual health of employees.

Cons

We're occasionally heavy on the meetings but I see leadership trying to fix that.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on mission, patients care and employee health as the top priorities and we'll keep going in the right direction.

Mar 13, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thanks for the review. Glad to hear that you see the mission playing out in your daily work.

Keep up the good work.

- Shane, Human Resources

5. An amazing place to work and where they really live their mission

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center

Pros

Access to all levels of leadership
    An environment where you can be yourself
    Regardless of your faith, you are accepted

Cons

Not well known in the area

Advice to Management

make benefits more competitive

Mar 12, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback, we're glad to hear that you're fitting in here!

We’re constantly evaluating our benefits packages so your feedback here is very helpful.

-Shane, Human Resources

6. AMC-P is a great place to be!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center

Pros

Great benefits! Decent pay....wonderful group of people! The employees really live out their mission.

Cons

I can't think of any negatives!

Mar 12, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thank you so much for the feedback. We see our employees living out the mission every day, glad others are seeing it too.

-Shane, Human Resources

7. Loved the people, they were like family

I worked at Adventist Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Like I mentioned, the employees there are fantastic. They really are like family. One of the main reasons I stayed as long as did (over 10 years) was because of the people.

Cons

it was difficult to move up if you in administration if you were not Adventist and by Adventist, I mean you did not tithe in the church.

Advice to Management

Take someone's skills into consideration not just where they attend church. Everyone is of value in the eyes of God and it is not mans place to judge them let alone base their worth on how much or where they choose to tithe.

Mar 12, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Adventist Medical Center is part of a broader system of hospitals and clinics under Adventist Health. Our organizational history and culture is closely connected to the ... More

Enjoy the job, love the people and the working environment.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My point of you is listened to and valued.
    Compensation is reviewed annually for market average and is very fair.
    The people are a joy to work with and make going to work each day worth while.
    The mission says it all - and gives my job purpose and meaning.

Cons

Interview processes can be long and drawn out, due to their thoroughness.

9. Some stellar employees but leadership is pretty wanky from the top down.

I worked at Adventist Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have good intentions with their mission statement. There are pockets of exemplary employees. They do offer full coverage benefits. They do have a walking trail.

Cons

Unorganized from the top down. Don't listen to ideas and concerns from employees. Always bringing in efficiency experts but don't ever make necessary changes. Cafeteria is very expensive.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

Feb 5, 2015Web/Digital Marketing Manager

Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the delayed response. I’m sorry that your experience with our administration was not a positive one. I would love to hear from you to discuss your ... More

10. Overall good place to work

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center

Pros

At my current position I am able to work flexible hours, wages are also competitive, good location, company also promotes healthy choices which is very nice.

Cons

Interview process is long, most of the time have to go thru a panel interview, health benefits for part time employees are more expensive than for full time. Communication between management and employees is poor.

Advice to Management

Communicate to your staff, be more open. It will bring confidence to your employees and make them feel valuable.

11. Great team

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center full-time

Pros

There are a lot of amazing people working at Adventist Medical Center. The exec team really seems to have the best interest of the patients and the employees in mind.

Cons

The workload is overwhelming but that is offset by the company culture and the people that you get to work with on a daily basis.

Adventist Medical Center Photos