Advertising Research Foundation

2.1

Gayle Fuguitt

Intern

I worked at Advertising Research Foundation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

small and tight group, slow paced environment, network opportunities

Cons

unpaid internship, not enough training

Good Experience

Former Employee - Growth Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Growth Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Advertising Research Foundation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, all very welcoming. Got to be around a lot of high level people, and had a great chance to network at their big conference. Exposure to daily life in a real corporate office, and there are a lot of talented people on the senior staff who are down to earth and like helping the interns.

Cons

Mundane tasks day to day. It made it hard to get personally invested in the work sometimes. No pay. There were long stretches of days with the same work over and over.

Pay the interns...the work that they do is usually worth at least minimum wage.

Tedious and redundant, poor experience for anyone outside of sales and events

I worked at Advertising Research Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Professional atmosphere, potential to network

Cons

Repetitive and mind numbing work, not useful for marketing and advertising careers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissatisfied internship Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Advertising Research Foundation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

1) Monthly Stipend
    2) Individual Work Space

Cons

I entered the Advertising Research Foundation with high expectations to work with exprienced, intelligent individuals who have been in the ad industry and in hopes to learn some new skills from the new internship position. Working with the staff was displeasing and sometimes socially awkward. A lot of people kept to themselves and did not want to be bothered. The only way you were able to contact everyone was via email despite that they're only 4 ft away from your desk. Even after emailing or discussing a new idea with them, some of the staff won't even acknowledge your existence. Only a selected few were able to carry on a conversation and actually try to get to know their interns.

The projects were very basic, redundant, and not a new learning experience for me. I wanted more of a challenging position but nothing else went beyond my basic tasks. I suggest students who do not have previous intern experience may benefit from this company. If you have a couple of internships under your belt, there's nothing new here unless you're in need of networking.

Oh and there's a 0% chance of hiring after the internship. The staff is pretty much set unless they fire someone randomly again.

Work on communication skills with the staff. Despite of the weekly staff meetings, and presenations, a lot of people did not look like they enjoy their fellow employees for whatever reason. It definitely made the office environment tense and uncomfortable.

good company to begin your career in advertising/marketing/market research

I worked at Advertising Research Foundation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

connections, great atmosphere, fun events and conferences

Cons

some of your responsibilities as an intern are slightly trivial

I am proud of the work I do at the ARF, however the senior management is abominable in their treatment of employees.

I have been working at Advertising Research Foundation

Pros

There is an opportunity to dig deep into the field and meet a host of smart, engaged industry experts. The ARF includes an intellectual aspect, which is stimulating and satisfying. There is a bond among the employees.

Cons

The senior management's motto is guilty until proven innocent, i.e., there is no trust in the ability of employees to spearhead projects and make them successful. Micro-management, mixed messages and arbitrary praise and criticism is par for the course. Thanks to the leaders of this organization, there is a culture of fear, which causes wide-spread anxiety. Confusion about roles and responsibilities and blame as a consequence permeates the environment.

Trust your employees to do a good job! You hired us for a reason and we are intelligent, motivated individuals who are dedicated to making the ARF thrive. Promote people based on merit and create some middle management positions and empower those people. You will be amazed at the results and the improved atmosphere.

Room for Improvement

I have been working at Advertising Research Foundation

Pros

The majority of the ARF staff are intelligent, hardworking and friendly. The company affords great exposure to the industry and is a wonderful learning environment.

Cons

There is no clear direction from senior management, and morale is very low. Employees are hired and fired with at will with no notice and little apparent regard for the person's ability or desire to do the job. This creates a culture of fear and is prohibitive to teamwork and productivity.

Listen to your employees and have confidence in their abilities to do the jobs they were hired to do. Directives should be consistent and criticism should be productive rather than derogatory.

A challenging place to work...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Advertising Research Foundation

Pros

The ARF offers great opportunities to address today's biggest challenges in the advertising research industry. The opportunities are there and so are the challenges. Generally a strong community of peers. Good networking opportunities. Summer Fridays.

Cons

There is no strategy or plan for the organization. It runs by the whim of the CEO making it very difficult to be productive and feel a sense of accomplishment. Money seems to be the driving force behind every decision. For a non-profit foundation, it's run more like a "trading room floor" on Wall Street or a fundraising operation. I don't think many people there bought into that concept when they signed on. I know I didn't.

Get back to the core mission of the organization. Focus on delivering value not extracting money. Create an environment of respect and professionalism.

Great Company, Low Morale

I have been working at Advertising Research Foundation

Pros

Salary is competitive Great group of coworkers. Some nice perks like Fridays off in the summer. It's a wonderful place to get exposure to major players in the advertising industry.

Cons

Morale is lower here than I've ever seen at other jobs despite a cohesive group of coworkers. Very few employees have clear direction, and what little direction there is changes at the whims of senior management. Lots of negative feedback is given from the top, but positive feedback is exceedingly rare. There is almost no room for professional advancement.

Employees need more autonomy to do their jobs. Positive reinforcement works better than negative reinforcement. Criticism should be constructive rather than derogatory.

Company needs leadership at the senior management level

I have been working at Advertising Research Foundation

Pros

Staff is friendly, smart and willing to do what it takes to be successful. Subject matter is fantastic. Able to work with a diverse group of members (Clients).

Cons

Senior management does not set direction or strategy. Company morale is low and getting worse. People are fearful to state their opinions to senior management for fear of retaliation. Senior manages through intimidation and fear.

Manage and set direction. Intimidation and fear will get you only so far.

Worked for Advertising Research Foundation? Contribute to the Community!