Advisory Board

www.advisory.com

Advisory Board Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Advisory Board – Chicago – “Love my work station”

Advisory Board CEO and Director Robert W. Musslewhite

Robert W. Musslewhite

Pros
  • Promotes a health work-life balance(in 23 reviews)

• Happy Hours, incentive trips, community service projects, etc(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is definitely skewed towards work rather than life(in 25 reviews)

• Horrible work-life balance and long hours(in 13 reviews)

Good for a few years

ProsFast movement for younger people in your career. Good place to learn process and how to be a professional.

ConsThey don't pay up to the average for the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep young professionals then pay them what they are worth.

Overall experience was decent loved the company .

Sales (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosgood company to work for if you're right out of college

ConsThe company work life balance doesn't have much balance .

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Strong culture; lead by a passion to sell

Associate Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIncredible learning experience. This is a company that's driven by it's sales division (as opposed to product, or finance, both of which are pretty reactionary/ impotent here) and any employee here learns to "script" really good talking points to walk the firm out of any tough situation. I hear people talk years later about the incredible people- and sales- skills they developed at ABC.

ConsWhile management says (and often believes) that promotions and bonuses are merit based, the reality is that this is an intensely political culture. In addition to your work you need to be very politically savvy to thrive here. If that's your thing, you'll love it.

Don't expect work-life balance, especially if you want to be on the fast track to promotion, and don't expect pay raises without fighting for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the culture of meritocracy you talk so much about (if it ever truly existed); make management more flat. Not everyone needs to be a manager (and indeed, not every high performer is capable of being a manager).

Also, at some point some financial analyst is going to call you out on the excessive stock-based compensation along with share repurchases, so you should probably stop parading stock-based compensation as evidence of meritocracy when the share price is so heavily influenced by the repurchase program.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a good place to get your feet wet in the DC area if you're fresh out of college. I'd work there again.

Communications (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe staff is highly educated, driven, etc.

ConsThere isn't much diversity in the staff. Everyone pretty much has the same background. ABC focuses on their bottom line before focusing on their employees.

Great company to start your career with

Marketing Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat benefits
    Lots of opportunities for growth--and training to help you along the way
    Wonderful people to work with
    Promotes a health work-life balance
    Good incentives (trips & cash)
    Volunteer opportunities

ConsThe starting salary is barely enough to survive on in DC.

Associate Director

Associate Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLots of smart people, great culture, emphasis on community impact

ConsWish I could get a better work life balance- short staffing is hard

Looking for poor management and low pay? Perfect place for you

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-Hired right from undergrad to work in 'marketing'
    -Great to be around people who are in the same age range as you (23-26)
    -Office is located in a great area of DC

Cons-Terribly low pay (35k as a marketing associate with bonuses equating to very little). Chiefs of Staff make under 43k, dedicated advisers are less than 50k
    -HIGH turnover. Cannot be emphasized enough. If ABC is one of the best places to work in healthcare, why do people leave so frequently? Why are orientation groups packed full of new associates? Probably because there is something wrong but more importantly, associates are cheap.
    -Incentive trips they emphasize that happen twice a year (the trips cost $500 per person, I would rather have the cash than spend a weekend in the Outer Banks in May)
    -Management is dismal. This is one of the more confusing things about the company. They offer training to hospitals management under the belief that a great doctor/nurse doesn't equate to a great manager. Yet at ABC, great associates are promoted to management with no experience or training because they were great associates. I remember one director walking around the associates with a clipboard taking attendance of who was at their desk cold calling.
    -The culture is dead. I might have lost it if I had to go to one more presentation about the culture of the firm and David Bradley's pillars. David Bradley (the founder) left the company more than a decade ago before the company went public and since then, only the execs ever see the culture that they preach (the exec team also gets retreats to Costa Rica, Turkey, and Japan)

The story that surmises ABC is one associate who was cold calling for a failing product (the technology being sold was flakey at best and went offline for a month. This associate was put on a 'development plan' to help work out the kinks as to why THEY were failing. A month later when they did not meet the goals of the development plan, they were put on a 'focus plan' which essentially means that you have to meet your goals or get fired (BTW, when you get a focus plan, it's a document you have to sign with HR basically forfeiting your right to unemployment when you are fired because you state that it's a mutual decision to leave). Before this associate could be fired, the program was scrapped and the associate kept their job. This 'under performing associate was later promoted to a director level position where they would do the on site meetings with clients. Ultimately, they under performed again in that position and were threatened with another development plan. Morale of the story: they love to play mind games and threaten to fire people. This person was told they were under performing, then their crappy program was scrapped, and then they were promoted to a higher sales position. What?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop. Just stop. No more preaching about the culture. No more embellishing incentive trips and bonuses and promotions. No more town halls to connect employees to the execs. People are going to scrape by, get the experience they need to go to a reputable firm like EY or Deloitte. The company knows that if an associate quits or is fired, a new applicant will be hired, receive 3 weeks worth of training, and then will be on the phones cold calling again. So my advice to you is to stop be deceitful in all aspects, from hiring to the actual products you sell. Employees aren't valued, there are no good managers, and regardless of how high up you are, it's all about grinding it out until something better comes up (which it always does).

Great place to start your career

Pros+ Welcoming of entry level recent graduates
    + Great peer networks and interesting work

Cons- Takes a while to adjust to the writing style that is expected of you

I have really found a home, great company with a great group of peole.

Senior Director (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat group of people, great industry and a company that wants to do the right thing. The culture is fun and tries to foster innovation and creativity. Does it always happen? Of course not, but the culture and management are sincere in finding ways to accomplish.

ConsSales driven to the point that sometimes other aspects can be over looked. The HR (Career Management) is antiquated and confusing. Needs to rethink from the ground up. Align within the company, align with the industry and align with corporate America.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR (CM) is antiquated, need to completely revamp.

Good experience, but awful pay

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat people, updated offices make for a creative and enjoyable day, and fantastic benefits (4 weeks PTO, flex time, etc.)

ConsThere is heavy favoritism and perks shown to those who bring in the money (marketers, marketing associates). There continues to be the stance that ABC salaries are competitive with the industry, but the fact is that if one person is hired in out of college as a marketing associate and another is hired as an internal-facing role, the MA is guaranteed to make $10K more a year and have the opportunities to win vacations. For both positions, especially internal, you don't make enough to live in the metro area on your own, barely with roommates.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing on your internal employees and employee retention. If you have a great employee who is about to leave, work with them. Find a solution to keep them on board. If that solution doesn't fall within policy, change it. Pay your employees equally. All entry-level positions should be paid equally (or at least similarly), and you should start showing appreciation for those who keep the business running smoothly, not just those who get you more money.

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!