Advisory Board

Updated November 17, 2014
3.6

Advisory Board CEO and Director Robert W. Musslewhite
Robert W. Musslewhite

Pros
  • There's a good work/life balance; you're kept to or about to a 40 hour workweek (in 28 reviews)

• Many happy hours and activities/events taking place in the office (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • The current managers just need to keep in mind the work/life balance of their employees (in 29 reviews)

• The salary is pretty low for the sales and marketing associate role (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

if you take initiative, you're rewarded

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at the Advisory Board for three years and have been promoted three times. Entry-level salary may be low, but you get promoted quickly into higher salaries, insane benefits, awesome work/life balance, and lots of time off so I feel like it's very fair. People just complain a lot. If you're a strong performer, you will be rewarded. It's easy to double your entry-level salary in 18-24 months if you work for it.

- lots of promotion opportunities and flexible career paths
    -casual dress code and modern work space
    -40 hour work week, no expectation to email outside of business hours
    -10 paid hours/month for volunteer service
    -10 paid hours/month for fitness
    -20+ paid days off, 10 holidays, 4 quarterly 'firm recesses' (4 day weekends)
    -cafe, gym, rooftop lounge
    -free starbucks coffee, teas, hot chocolate, sodas, occasional meals
    -incredible health care coverage
    -lots of training courses, internal internships, professional development

Cons

There have been a few bumps transitioning from a research company to a technology company - lacks technical resources/talent to deliver value

Marketing Associate

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young, energetic culture. Work hard play hard environment, but with great benefits and friends along the way. Fast promotion eligibility and great learning experience.

Cons

Very clique-ish. Feels like you're in high school sometimes. Terrible pay for the cost of living in D.C.

People will work an extra hour a day for more pay

Great company to be a part off.

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn in a corporate environment. Lots of young people who were all in the same boat as you and leadership who was there to mentor. The company hosted firm wide meetings, company events, and happy hours -- great camaraderie.

Cons

Almost too focused on personal growth and where your next step in the company was going to be. For someone who is not super interested in Healthcare it was hard to keep interest.

Great job right out of college... was ready to leave after a couple years

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This review is for the analyst/sr analyst/consultant role in Research & Insights. The work itself is (generally) intellectually stimulating and forces you to think strategically about important problems that truly do matter. The benefits were also very good-- great vacation, health benefits, flexible work hours and work-from-home policies, etc. While compensation wasn't on-par with top-tier consulting firms, the work-life balance was infinitely better. I typically worked 50-55 hours/week, some of which was done at home. It's also an exciting time to be working in healthcare and I can only imagine the company will continue to grow, expanding opportunities for advancement in the process.

Cons

While the research work can be stimulating it also became a bit redundant over time. You are essentially repeating the same 6 month process over and over again. There was also a tendency to analyze something to death-- I spent hours sitting in conference rooms coming up with the perfect gerund for a slide title. The workload also tends to come and go in waves-- you may have super light weeks where you're struggling to find things to keep you busy for 8 hours a day and then 2 months where you're working 11-12 hour days.

The culture varies tremendously by department. The culture in research & insights was much more reserved than other departments (read: not a lot of happy hours or team lunches). That said, many of my friends in other departments loved the culture in their areas and had a ton of work friends. Along those lines, Advisory Board also has a very insular, promote-from-within culture (or did when I was there) which can be challenging for external hires who aren't straight out of college. You are also expected to learn the "ABC" way of doing things even if it's inefficient or outdated.

Challenging fast paced environment

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn about and help improve the healthcare industry. The company does a pretty good job of hiring talented people who are fun to work with.

Cons

The sales department drives the company, and other divisions are not staffed or funded adequately to follow through on sales promises without significant compromises to work-life balance.

Good name for a resume

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

Work life balance is good

Cons

Compensation is way too low

Fun & young team, fascinating research areas, difficult management, unable to live up to "ABC values"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fun mid-level team
    at the forefront of best practice research in healthcare and education
    additional learning opportunities (if you ever find the time to participate)

Cons

work-life balance
    promotion structure
    getting paid less than we all should be for what we're doing

loosen up, hire more delivery, focus on employee happiness as well as client satisfaction and QA scores

Don't take entry position if passionate about healthcare

I worked at Advisory Board

Pros

The advisory board has a very attractive name within the professional and healthcare market place, and definitely helps to have it one the resume. The company culture is probably the most attractive thing about the firm. With similar aged young professionals making up the majority of the office, it is very easy to make closer friends and colleagues. Also, if you are interested in the ever changing landscape of healthcare, ABC has great resources readily available for any level employee to read up on.

Cons

With the young culture being a positive, it also might be the biggest negative. At times seemed like a very unprofessional workplace. You might think its cool coming right out of college to hear in the elevator 20 something year old female colleagues talking about the Ellie Golding concert they went to last Tuesday night and how they're still hungover. However, this quickly gets tiring and seems like the company is just an extension of college and not someplace where you will get real mentor-ship. For my case, this was actually true. With my manager being only a year older than me (me being 23 at the time), I highly questioned what wise mentoring experience does she have that I can honestly learn more about healthcare? If you've read reviews about the high turnover in the beginner positions, this is very true. The hiring model of the firm for entry level positions seems to center on taking advantage of unsure fresh out of college grads (alot with not healthcare experience whatsoever), impressing them with the professionalism and style of a successful company in the heart of DC, telling them there are tons of opportunity to move up within a year, and then offering them ridiculously low/unlivable in DC salaries. Seriously, I feel I can guarantee that no MA or Coordinator is not getting help from their parents on top of their full time salary to stay afloat. On top of this, after a few months there I was told by a dedicated adviser (next step above my role) who originally interviewed me that she remembers me knowing more about the affordable care act and health policy than she did, which it is her job to know about.
    If you are seriously passionate and knowledgeable about healthcare be very weary of taking any entry level position. I would suggest looking in to the research and insights department and interviewing for positions there, since this is where you can actually utilize your knowledge of the healthcare, and not just perform sales.

Account Management Associate

Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good team environment. Easy tasks and happy members.

Cons

The pay is ridiculously low.

Some opportunities, hit or miss

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time

Pros

Lots of incentives, young staff, room for growth fairly quickly, held to high standards of performance. If you are willing to put in the work there are some opportunities to learn a lot depending on who you support.

Cons

Depending on your team opportunities can be scarce or bountiful. Praise is awarded based on results that are clearly skewed by team not by the work. A bit concerned about the sustainability of the current business model.

Acknowledge the different obstacles faced by associates in different areas of the company. Work on ACTUAL management training and motivation skills.

Advisory Board Photos