Advisory Board Reviews

Updated October 13, 2014
3.6

Advisory Board CEO and Director Robert W. Musslewhite
Robert W. Musslewhite

Pros
  • I never had a problem with work-life balance, although I know a lot of my co-workers did (in 26 reviews)

• Many happy hours and activities/events taking place in the office (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • The current managers just need to keep in mind the work/life balance of their employees (in 28 reviews)

• The salary is pretty low for the sales and marketing associate role (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great benefits, youthful culture, nearly competitive pay

Current Employee - Legal in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Legal in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best benefits for a large company: 5 weeks paid vacation after 2 years, great health benefits, 10 hours of community service per month, telework program , up to 20% bonus yearly, great LEED-certified office spaces, jeans casual attire every day. Lots of free food available if you know where to look.

Cons

Depending on your department, there may be a lot of upward movement or none at all (my case). I haven't been promoted in the three years I've been in this department despite getting stellar reviews each year. Lots of young, trendy people working here, but you wonder where they get the money to pay for all their nice clothes. Compensation is fine, but oftentimes doesn't match up with your title (e.g., a "Director" is just someone that's been working here for 3 years and really isn't in charge of much).

Expand the office spaces because some floors are getting too crowded.

The Advisory Board has it's share of politics, but culturally it is top notch.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office culture varies geographically. The tech roles and major support organizations (HR, Legal, Finance, etc) are top notch and just down right good jobs.

Cons

Sometimes the politics are a bit much. The organizational structure really makes no sense, but somehow it works. The problem is the CEO doesn't get a clear picture because data flows through 3+ people before it hits his ears. I would not be an MA unless it is your only opportunity!

Things are great, pay out PTO, create equal maternity/paternity leave programs (reverse discrimination is still not right), and continue breaking down the silos.

Great experience.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great career pathing opportunities, great atmosphere, good work/life balance, lots of responsibility/management at young tenure

Cons

Compensation, linear management structure, leadership too linear.

Great atmosphere, improve compensation

Intellectually engaging work, wide range of internal opportunities, fantastic culture

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time

Pros

Your managers and colleagues will challenge you (in a positive way), you learn a tremendous amount about health care in a short period, great benefits, opportunity to take on more responsibilities and create your own impact

Cons

compensation, keeping up with its own rapid growth

The Advisory Board Company has a great work culture, and does great work in the healthcare industry

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are very young and there is a fun working environment. Additionally, there is a lot of room for mobility and growth within the company. It is truly a meritocracy.

Cons

The salary is pretty low for the sales and marketing associate role.

Great culture, great people, good company

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Fun spin on "healthcare"
    Great managers
    Excellent benefits
    You can literally choose any career path and you will be supported to do what makes you happy

Cons

At times you can struggle to feel like your part of a team if you are remote
    Pay could be better

Great place to learn about health care, get out after a couple of years

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely intelligent co-workers (from associates to exec directors) in the Research department
    Very interesting work if you like health care; you have an opportunity to analyze changes in the health care system as they happen and speak with CEOs of some of the most prestigious health care organizations in the world
    25 PTO days - pretty unbeatable

Cons

Pay is far below market value - I'm sure every review mentions that
    It is very apparent that the senior management see the lower level staff as replaceable, and treat them as such
    Work can get repetitive
    Huge egos and personal priorities at senior management level impede the integrity of the work
    Manufactured company culture of "community impact" really just massive PR campaign

INVEST in your staff. You are never going to have effective managers and directors if you don't build them from within - and that requires treating lower level staff with respect and like their ideas matter (not just because it's the right thing to do, but because the majority of analysts are incredibly smart people). I was once told by one of the most senior people at the company that HIS boss told him once to never bother to get to know any of the analysts because they always leave. I think it's more accurate to say that the senior leadership never gets to know any of the analysts SO they always leave.

This job is monotonous and under-utilizes college grads, but the company as a whole is a good place to work.

Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-1/2 day Fridays during the month of July are very nice
    -tons of opportunities to volunteer (10 hours a month to volunteer)
    -happy hours are very frequent when the weather is nice.
    -Great benefits- 4 weeks of PTO; health, vision, dental are good; pre-taxed deductions to use for your MetroCard
    -The people here are great- nice, friendly, funny, easy to chat with, etc. I cannot stress this enough. This definitely offsets some of the cons of this job.

Overall, I really enjoy the Advisory Board and believe strongly in the work that we do here. I feel disillusioned in this role. You are basically a secretary, and I don't think many AMAs realized this when they accepted the position (I sure didn't!). If you are looking to just get a foot in the door, this may be a good role to start (depending on your manager of course).

Cons

-The work you do as an AMA (Account Management Associate) requires no college degree, and it could easily be done by anyone without a degree for minimal wage. They are under-utilizing college (and graduate school) graduates.
    -This role requires absolutely NO healthcare experience, which is frustrating if you are actually interested in healthcare and have experience (like I do). I have seen multiple Relationship Managers (RMs- the role directly above the AMA position) hired that worked as teachers or in politics and know absolutely nothing about healthcare, but because they have been out of school just one or two years before me, they are somehow qualified for this more senior position. I find this so frustrating because they truly are no more qualified than me, but yet I work under them.
    -During interviews, management will "beef up" this job to make it seem interesting and important, but in reality, you just emails all day and do very easy, monotonous tasks for your managers.
    -Management does not tell you of the HEAVY sales atmosphere (it's not marketing, but your incentives are based on sales-related tasks; if this makes you uncomfortable, think twice about applying or accepting an offer for this position).
    -Must be at work for 9 hours a day- in the Research and Insights division, AMAs are required to work from 8:30 to 5:30 and take a one hour break (many AMAs just sit at their desks and continue to work during this "break"). Management states that this is how they enforce a work-life balance, but it would be nice to have a bit more flexibility in working your 8 hours, particularly if you are emailing or calling people in difference time zones (west coast, Alaska, Hawaii, or internationally).
    -No work from home option despite that the majority of your work is done on a computer, (which can be done essentially anywhere).

1. During the interview process, be straight with your interviewees. One potential manager who interviewed me told me that I had the opportunity to travel with my manager to learn more about the manager role (which is the job directly above mine) and the products we offer. In reality, associates are strictly not allowed to travel.
    2. When sending emails to associates, if it takes you longer to type up the email than it does to do the task that you are asking the associate to complete, just do it yourself. You would be surprised at how often this occurs. My managers send me 10-20 emails a day asking me to do very simple, basic things that they could have done themself. It disrupts work flow and productivity, and it throws my train of thought off.

Business Anaylst - Crimson

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The PTO is nice ... and the chairs.

Cons

In my experience, there really isn't any point working here unless you just want years of experience next to a certain title.

Compensation - no real increases unless you get a promotion.

Promotion - There are a lot of promotions that don't feel "real." You can be a Business Analyst and get promoted to Sr. BA, or that and get Associate Director, and that doesn't necessarily translate to different actual day-to-day tasks. Management should definitely try to define and differentiate these roles, because while the pay can be nice, people are looking for increasing responsibility.

Titles & promotion - All titles at ABC are misleading. It makes it really difficult to understand how your role relates to the "norm" for that role in the industry. "Marketers" are salesmen. "Business Analysts" implement software. Not only does the title not reflect your duties, but it makes it hard to understand other roles in the company you might be interested in applying for.

Training - There is none. "ABC training" will expose you to different products within the company, but you won't learn anything you can actually apply. Also, the onboarding experience is a joke.

Good entry-level experience

I worked at Advisory Board

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, strong employee engagement opportunities, access to senior level leaders,

Cons

Your job experience weighs heavily on team dynamics and direct management. Make sure, to the best of your ability, that you truly feel a fit with both the job and the team while interviewing.

Have a really good understanding of the market in your field to see how compensation/benefits compares against your industry and geographic location.

Allow innovation to evolve day-to-day in every single department, so they aren't just statements made on paper.

Weigh geographic location in terms of structuring compensation/benefits.

Recognize that same level staff on one team or one department can have vastly different work loads and ways to best manage, coach and evaluate individuals given this disparity.

Advisory Board Photos