Advisory Board Reviews

328 reviews filtered by
3.5
Advisory Board CEO and Director Robert W. Musslewhite
Robert W. Musslewhite

Pros
  • There's a good work/life balance; you're kept to or about to a 40 hour workweek (in 32 reviews)

• happy hours are very frequent when the weather is nice (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • The current managers just need to keep in mind the work/life balance of their employees (in 30 reviews)

• The salary is pretty low for the sales and marketing associate role (in 14 reviews)

1. An excellent place to start a career

Current Employee - Research Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Few other organizations offer opportunities to develop managerial experience to recent college graduates, and the Firm provides ample resources to ensure that managers are supported and in turn focus on supporting their employees. It's an exciting place to work, being surrounded by bright, passionate, and extremely intelligent young people who happily put in long hours to assist clients who provide value greater than commerce (hospitals and universities).

Cons

As a quickly growing company, change is a constant. This is both positive and negative in that there are unmatched opportunities for employees to influence the Firm's trajectory and practices, but can also prove exhausting and confusing at times. Recently-modified teams and structures may change again within a few months as the business expands.

Advice to Management

Continue to uphold research as the core mission of the Firm, even as it directs us to invest in scalable, higher margin performance technologies. It would understandably be tempting to under-invest in research, but that focus is key to our identity and success.

Good experience overall, but company facing some major issues ahead

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

This review is from the perspective of an entry-level employee at ABC.
    - Great culture and people. The company is young and coworkers can become good friends.
    - Work can be interesting depending on department.
    - Younger, entry-level employees in many divisions are very accomplished. Smart, driven coworkers.
    - Benefits like PTO are great.
    - Opportunities to move up quickly if you are a fast learner. Promotions seem generally fair.
    - People seem to find good exit opportunities.

Cons

- Company doesn't seem to be doing well financially. There was a hiring freeze last year and positions were eliminated this year. Noticeable tensions as a result and budgets seem tight. Tougher time moving roles internally.
    - I wouldn't take a Marketing Associate, Account Management Associate, or Coordinator position unless I had no other job options. Though many of the people in these positions are incredibly capable and have a lot of responsibility, these are roles HORRIBLY underpaid (especially considering the high cost of living in D.C.). It's actually embarrassing to work for a company that underpays some people so much while also arguing that the firm does so much good for the community.
    - While those positions are particularly bad, most entry to mid-level positions are underpaid compared to comparable positions at other companies. They had to send out an email last year to try to convince everyone that they are compensated fairly. Just that that happened should say enough about the compensation.
    - Management is variable. There are some great managers and some that don't have a clue what's going on on their own teams. Turnover is crazy, and some managers seem to be the ones that just stuck around as others left the firm.
    - Regardless of skill, most managers are out of touch with the feelings among entry-level employees.
    - As an entry-level employee you are made to feel entirely replaceable. Leads to a high turnover rate.
    - High turnover makes you feel like you should also be thinking of other options. Most entry-level employees, which is actually a huge portion of the company, leave after a few years.

Advice to Management

Work harder on retaining your high-performing employees - turnover hurts everybody. Quit giving people extra days off and pay ALL of your employees a comfortable salary for the D.C. metro area. Make sure that managers are in touch with what's going on on their teams.

3. Great mission-based organization

I worked at Advisory Board

Pros

Good work/life balance, tons of opportunity

Cons

Remote offices feel less of the culture than HQ

5. Long time employees squeezed out

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to learn and serve clients in the large (and still highly dysfunctional) health care and higher educational industries. If you are good at researching/speaking you can go pretty far. But you will go further if you're in marketing and can close sales.

Cons

Company is still very much an "up or out firm" unless you've gotten to or are on a fast track to Policy Committee level. The company is under pressure now to increase earnings which have flattened over the past two years. Revenues growing but so are costs, which is resulting in layoffs.

Advice to Management

Try to avoid honoring long time employees with company logo jackets but then lay them off shortly thereafter.

6. Business Analyst

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth and to move around the company to different positions.

Cons

Pay is a little lower than other companies for similar positions
    new positions can be a little fuzzy as to what is expected

Advice to Management

Recognize employee strengths and weaknesses
    Start offering tuition reimbursement for qualified select individuals

7. Nice place to work

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Wants employees to improve, constantly looking to make the next great leap, but was a very young, fun place to work

Cons

Pay seems below competitors, areas of company seemed isolated from one another, attrition seemed relatively high (though acceptable to UM).

Advice to Management

Try to keep workers there, encouraging growth within company rather than allowing attrition to remove people.

8. Young Company with great work life balance

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

Strong career development, young coworkers

Cons

low compensation, managers are often only 1-2years older than you and lack major experience.

Advice to Management

more competitive compensation

9. The advisory board is an amazing, laid back company.

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was an intern so everyone was pretty lenient toward me. I probably learned the most I ever have here. I was mentored very well.

Cons

An extremely fast paced work environment. It forces you to be on your game 100% of the time, which may not be a bad thing for some people.

Advice to Management

I was an intern so I didn't necessarily have to deal with management too much. Office culture was fine in my opinion.

10. Great company culture

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Mount Washing, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Mount Washing, OH

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

Work hard, play hard mentality

Cons

Transient - nobody sticks around for more than a few years

Advice to Management

Better compensation

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than a year)

Pros

(1) Pay and benefits are probably above average in industry (2) environment is professional and respectful (3) There's opportunity to learn healthcare system domain knowledge

Cons

(1) My opinion: the technical competency of the engineering staff is below industry average. Good engineers get bored and/or frustrated and are allowed to leave too easily. (2) The management of software development in general seems immature, compared to my past jobs at even larger (10's of thousands of employees) and more complex companies. There is a lack of permeated clear goals, metrics and accountability. From my own experience, senior leadership tolerates non-trivially budgeted projects (20-30 full time employees) operating for years without profit and with engineering staff abandoned under the nominal direction of two or more simultaneously acting "managers". There's also an ingrained lack of concern about software quality in the engineering ranks - why send poorly tested code to QA? - accompanied by a QA team expectation that their job is scripted button pushing - as opposed to thinking through complex features and having adequately talented team members implement appropriate testing tools.

Advice to Management

I think it would help to implant more leaders from well run *software* companies.

Advisory Board Photos