Advisory Board Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
3.5

Advisory Board CEO and Director Robert W. Musslewhite
Robert W. Musslewhite

Pros
  • The company promotes a lot of work/life balance and culture events, e (in 25 reviews)

• happy hours are very frequent when the weather is nice (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • The current managers just need to keep in mind the work/life balance of their employees (in 28 reviews)

• Horrible work-life balance and long hours (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

The Advisory Board Company has a great work culture, and does great work in the healthcare industry

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are very young and there is a fun working environment. Additionally, there is a lot of room for mobility and growth within the company. It is truly a meritocracy.

Cons

The salary is pretty low for the sales and marketing associate role.

Overall great place to be

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is the most employee-centric place I've ever worked. They listen to employees and work to protect things like respect, work/life balance, etc.

The benefits and PTO packages are awesome, and the company really lives its values. Heavy emphasis on giving back to local communities.

I've had a great experience here and plan to stay a long time.

Cons

Lots of people in senior roles who have only worked one place. They are great people and very smart, but don't always have the perspectives one gains from work experience in more places.

Listen to your senior employees who have worked other places. We can help you get there faster so we can change the world even faster!

Good entry-level experience

I worked at Advisory Board

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, strong employee engagement opportunities, access to senior level leaders,

Cons

Your job experience weighs heavily on team dynamics and direct management. Make sure, to the best of your ability, that you truly feel a fit with both the job and the team while interviewing.

Have a really good understanding of the market in your field to see how compensation/benefits compares against your industry and geographic location.

Allow innovation to evolve day-to-day in every single department, so they aren't just statements made on paper.

Weigh geographic location in terms of structuring compensation/benefits.

Recognize that same level staff on one team or one department can have vastly different work loads and ways to best manage, coach and evaluate individuals given this disparity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This job is monotonous and under-utilizes college grads, but the company as a whole is a good place to work.

Current Employee - Account Management Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for less than a year

Pros

-1/2 day Fridays during the month of July are very nice
    -tons of opportunities to volunteer (10 hours a month to volunteer)
    -happy hours are very frequent when the weather is nice.
    -Great benefits- 4 weeks of PTO; health, vision, dental are good; pre-taxed deductions to use for your MetroCard
    -The people here are great- nice, friendly, funny, easy to chat with, etc. I cannot stress this enough. This definitely offsets some of the cons of this job.

Overall, I really enjoy the Advisory Board and believe strongly in the work that we do here. I feel disillusioned in this role. You are basically a secretary, and I don't think many AMAs realized this when they accepted the position (I sure didn't!). If you are looking to just get a foot in the door, this may be a good role to start (depending on your manager of course).

Cons

-The work you do as an AMA (Account Management Associate) requires no college degree, and it could easily be done by anyone without a degree for minimal wage. They are under-utilizing college (and graduate school) graduates.
    -This role requires absolutely NO healthcare experience, which is frustrating if you are actually interested in healthcare and have experience (like I do). I have seen multiple Relationship Managers (RMs- the role directly above the AMA position) hired that worked as teachers or in politics and know absolutely nothing about healthcare, but because they have been out of school just one or two years before me, they are somehow qualified for this more senior position. I find this so frustrating because they truly are no more qualified than me, but yet I work under them.
    -During interviews, management will "beef up" this job to make it seem interesting and important, but in reality, you just emails all day and do very easy, monotonous tasks for your managers.
    -Management does not tell you of the HEAVY sales atmosphere (it's not marketing, but your incentives are based on sales-related tasks; if this makes you uncomfortable, think twice about applying or accepting an offer for this position).
    -Must be at work for 9 hours a day- in the Research and Insights division, AMAs are required to work from 8:30 to 5:30 and take a one hour break (many AMAs just sit at their desks and continue to work during this "break"). Management states that this is how they enforce a work-life balance, but it would be nice to have a bit more flexibility in working your 8 hours, particularly if you are emailing or calling people in difference time zones (west coast, Alaska, Hawaii, or internationally).
    -No work from home option despite that the majority of your work is done on a computer, (which can be done essentially anywhere).

1. During the interview process, be straight with your interviewees. One potential manager who interviewed me told me that I had the opportunity to travel with my manager to learn more about the manager role (which is the job directly above mine) and the products we offer. In reality, associates are strictly not allowed to travel.
    2. When sending emails to associates, if it takes you longer to type up the email than it does to do the task that you are asking the associate to complete, just do it yourself. You would be surprised at how often this occurs. My managers send me 10-20 emails a day asking me to do very simple, basic things that they could have done themself. It disrupts work flow and productivity, and it throws my train of thought off.

Great place to start your career but there is a reason there is so much turnover

Current Employee - Dedicated Advisor  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Dedicated Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, fun culture, a lot of PTO, opportunity to interact with C-suite at hospitals, easy access to research and best practices, incentives for community service (great part of the culture here)

Cons

Compensation isn't competitive especially with DC's rapidly growing cost of living, very heavy in the middle: hard for Senior Associate to move to Mgmt, no delineation between Associate and Senior Associate just a heavier member load, mgmt doesn't necessarily have mgmt experience, external health care experience doesn't get you far here, have to drink the kool aid, lack of collaboration/teamwork: incentives aren't team based which leads to competition between co-workers that doesn't necessarily help the team or members, sales is part of everyone's job: this is explained in the hiring process. The hiring process isn't transparent. I ended up with a different job then I applied for, and do a different job then I was hired for. All this leads to a lot of turnover

The People and Culture are Great... Salary is Horrible

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for less than a year

Pros

Office Culture, Opportunity to Move Up

Cons

Salary... Barely enough to live... especially in DC

Great mission and people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work flexibility, powerful mission and guiding principles, smart people and the caliber of hires only improves each year, lots of opportunity for rapid advancement if you work hard up to the Senior Director level, engaging work

Cons

Some bad managers can ruin the experience (that said there are many good managers), lots of politics, siloed organization, too heavy on upper and middle management in some areas, limited advancement opportunity above the SD level, bad pay.

Pay more attention to how well managers manage others, use engagement drivers beyond promotion (salary increases, stock options, etc), change org and incentive structure to promote collaboration

Excellent. Great place to work that takes care of it's employees.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Benefits
    -respect for time off
    -Cool offices
    -Smart and nice colleagues

Cons

-deadlines can be too tight
    -saying yes to everything for clients
    -underpayed

Don't promote young people too quickly. They can't always help with career development

Excellent place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

Values are the key to this company's success. I enjoy the people I work with and the culture.

Cons

The current managers just need to keep in mind the work/life balance of their employees. This concept can get lost with the high expectations of work they ask of you to get ahead. A lot of managers are fairly young and could use some training and mentor ship.

Wish I could go back

Current Employee - Director  in  Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent culture where employees are valued and generosity is encouraged. Benefits are good as well.

Cons

No company is perfect but ABC came as close as a large size company can get. ABC had acquired a company where I was employed for 7 years. Unfortunately, they were unable to place me in a position within my field. I worked for ABC for over a year in a position that they created for me, however, the functions of this new position were very different than my previous functions and what I was trained to do. Although I very much appreciated their efforts to keep me, I left ABC to pursue working in a position within my field.

Continue to drive the importance of culture and community. Happy employees will drive the numbers to desired results.

Advisory Board Photos

Love my work station

+ Add Photo

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!