Advisory Board Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
3.5

Advisory Board CEO and Director Robert W. Musslewhite
Robert W. Musslewhite

Pros
  • Promotes a health work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Happy Hours, incentive trips, community service projects, etc (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is definitely skewed towards work rather than life (in 25 reviews)

• Horrible work-life balance and long hours (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall great place to be

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is the most employee-centric place I've ever worked. They listen to employees and work to protect things like respect, work/life balance, etc.

The benefits and PTO packages are awesome, and the company really lives its values. Heavy emphasis on giving back to local communities.

I've had a great experience here and plan to stay a long time.

Cons

Lots of people in senior roles who have only worked one place. They are great people and very smart, but don't always have the perspectives one gains from work experience in more places.

Listen to your senior employees who have worked other places. We can help you get there faster so we can change the world even faster!

Excellent. Great place to work that takes care of it's employees.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Benefits
    -respect for time off
    -Cool offices
    -Smart and nice colleagues

Cons

-deadlines can be too tight
    -saying yes to everything for clients
    -underpayed

Don't promote young people too quickly. They can't always help with career development

Excellent place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

Values are the key to this company's success. I enjoy the people I work with and the culture.

Cons

The current managers just need to keep in mind the work/life balance of their employees. This concept can get lost with the high expectations of work they ask of you to get ahead. A lot of managers are fairly young and could use some training and mentor ship.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start your career but there is a reason there is so much turnover

Current Employee - Dedicated Advisor  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Dedicated Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, fun culture, a lot of PTO, opportunity to interact with C-suite at hospitals, easy access to research and best practices, incentives for community service (great part of the culture here)

Cons

Compensation isn't competitive especially with DC's rapidly growing cost of living, very heavy in the middle: hard for Senior Associate to move to Mgmt, no delineation between Associate and Senior Associate just a heavier member load, mgmt doesn't necessarily have mgmt experience, external health care experience doesn't get you far here, have to drink the kool aid, lack of collaboration/teamwork: incentives aren't team based which leads to competition between co-workers that doesn't necessarily help the team or members, sales is part of everyone's job: this is explained in the hiring process. The hiring process isn't transparent. I ended up with a different job then I applied for, and do a different job then I was hired for. All this leads to a lot of turnover

The People and Culture are Great... Salary is Horrible

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for less than a year

Pros

Office Culture, Opportunity to Move Up

Cons

Salary... Barely enough to live... especially in DC

Great mission and people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work flexibility, powerful mission and guiding principles, smart people and the caliber of hires only improves each year, lots of opportunity for rapid advancement if you work hard up to the Senior Director level, engaging work

Cons

Some bad managers can ruin the experience (that said there are many good managers), lots of politics, siloed organization, too heavy on upper and middle management in some areas, limited advancement opportunity above the SD level, bad pay.

Pay more attention to how well managers manage others, use engagement drivers beyond promotion (salary increases, stock options, etc), change org and incentive structure to promote collaboration

Wish I could go back

Current Employee - Director  in  Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent culture where employees are valued and generosity is encouraged. Benefits are good as well.

Cons

No company is perfect but ABC came as close as a large size company can get. ABC had acquired a company where I was employed for 7 years. Unfortunately, they were unable to place me in a position within my field. I worked for ABC for over a year in a position that they created for me, however, the functions of this new position were very different than my previous functions and what I was trained to do. Although I very much appreciated their efforts to keep me, I left ABC to pursue working in a position within my field.

Continue to drive the importance of culture and community. Happy employees will drive the numbers to desired results.

Great place to launch a career!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This is a fabulous place to work - great culture, tons of opportunity for those that are motivated to take it. Support of career growth and ability to move around to get different experiences over time.

Cons

Many of the roles require significant travel - can be difficult to maintain a career trajectory if you are not willing to travel 3-4 days a week. There is also a clear "mold" - if you don't fit it, opportunities will be limited, but probably not that different that cultural fit at most organizations.

Great mission, great values, great outlook, great opportunities--I hope I never leave

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People--rare to find such driven ambitious and bright people who you like to hang out with. Love the people I work with.
    Meritocracy--they promote 30% of staff every year. If you do well, you get promoted. Not political
    Mission driven--works on trying to figure out how to help hospitals and universities function better. Hard to find outcomes more satisfying than helping those kind of organizations succeed

Cons

High standards--if you don't perform well, it is clear quickly. Can be very tough if you can't keep pace.
    Culture not for everyone--if you don't get excited about the people and mission here, probably not the right fit.

Keep promoting from within!

Great company, hard to move up

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has a great culture--everyone is young, fun and hardworking. They also definitely try and emphasize a work-life balance

Cons

There's a huge pool of entry level workers and not enough desired "mid-level" roles. As such, while they hook you in with the promise of internal promotion and growth, it's much more competitive than it seems.

Don't make the internal interview process so competitive and difficult. We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get a job at a company we already work for.

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!