Advisory Board Reviews

Reset
3.5
Advisory Board CEO and Director Robert W. Musslewhite
Robert W. Musslewhite

Pros
  • Promotes a health work-life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Many happy hours and activities/events taking place in the office (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is definitely skewed towards work rather than life (in 30 reviews)

• The Marketing Associate role has absolutely nothing to do with Marketing and is strictly Cold Calling (in 14 reviews)

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board

Pros

a true meritocracy, wonderfully skilled mid-level management, fun intellectual culture to play with ideas (especially in the research areas), many different departments to choose from

Cons

pressure to work long hours, pressure to generate 20% profits annually for shareholders means occasionally there is a squeeze to make sure the research result is the best match for the clients, and sometimes you feel the latter (what the clients want to see) is becoming more important than the former (the research itself, the real information and findings).

Advice to Management

be careful about the profit motive, i am not a skeptical anti-corporate person but it was unsettling to see the way that research topics and content got "guided" into things that were designed for profit more so than content. has gotten worse in recent years. for example, my colleague was pressured into changing content to make it more "palatable" for the clients. could have been just a bad manager but it is slowly seeping into the culture at large as well.

2. great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

I get to work with a lot of fellow recent college graduates and also get exposure to senior management. I'm trusted to speak with hospital executives. I know this is an entry-level role so it's nice to see my colleagues moving on to other departments after only a year or two. My manager is open with me about seeking a next step and helping me prepare to interview.

Cons

This is a sales role so I am on the phone quite often. I have a monthly goal that I'm working towards, and this is the biggest thing I'm evaluated on.

Advice to Management

Overall I'm satisfied with the managers that I've worked with. They are supportive of my development, and I know they like working here.

Good overall

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

Lots of opportunities to grow in your career if you are a strong performer; work with smart people; interesting work

Cons

Long hours; poor training/mentorship; too much short term decision making at times but it's getting better

Advice to Management

Invest more in innovating existing products and building a world class development shop; invest more in training employees

5. Strong growth trajectory, great managers and mentors to support growth.

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

- Smart, motivated colleagues - Attachment to core values - Emphasis on community service - Opportunities for growth and advancement

Cons

=Often silos within the organization - difficulty to keep up with everything going on in various parts of the business.

Good

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

Fun place to work. Good opportunities for career growth

Cons

At times Management positions have been handed to folks who are at early age of their Professional ladder.

Advice to Management

None

Powerful place to make an impact in healthcare

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very customer focused; great place to learn fantastic service Sales and marketing is executed at a very high level and provides an opportunity to learn how to sell to executives It's a high growth environment that is always changing Makes the biggest impact in healthcare of any other consulting, research, technology firm

Cons

Matrix organization structure makes for a fluid environment of management that can be difficult for some positions The high growth makes the environment somewhat chaotic and demanding at the same time Always looking to try something new and sometimes without experienced people who have had success from outside

There's no better place to find engaging, flexible work

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Extremely flexible schedule, PTO benefits, and remote opportunities - The company's growth opens up lots of opportunities for new roles - The work is meaningful; members see value in our product - Very early access to high-level/c-suite members - Fantastic health care and marketing bootcamp for anyone looking to work before graduate studies

Cons

- Pay could be better - Supervisors can be petty and sometimes make decisions based on favoritism - Work-life balance is tough in some roles (particularly associate-level)

Advice to Management

Boost pay levels for these roles! You're not keeping up with the rest of Washington/peer employers. Yes, it is an employer's market now, but the reputation for low-pay is getting very sticky and will be hard to shake off. Make very careful decisions about who gets to take on mid-level management roles. The folks overseeing the associate-level staff set the tone for the firm. They need to be mature, professional, and competent. Elevate people who will be good managers, not people who are good at their job.

Director

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. Young, energetic work force. Recognition on Merit. Washington DC headquarters is located in a desirable part of town. A lot of team events and incentive based activities. Fast career growth

Cons

Low salaries compared to other similar firms in DC. Inexperienced managers. Although a technology firm, IT infrastructure has issues regularly. Silo-ed teams.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee retention as turnover is in the double digits in some verticals/departments. Re-evaluate compensation.

10. Great and very good for growth

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

Great and very good for growth. I learned a lot during my time there and grew a lot. I would recommend this place for everyone. Great and very good for growth. I learned a lot during my time there and grew a lot. I would recommend this place for everyone.

Cons

Maybe I was not paid as well as I would have liked, even though the hours were relatively long and a lot of work

Great place to start your career!

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work experience and ability to grow your career within the company. Interesting work especially with everything taking place in health care reform today. The company is growing fast and lots of new opportunities are emerging.

Cons

Can sometimes have long hours and lots of to-dos. The MA role can be tough, but there is light at the end of the tunnel if you do well. Could pay more, salary stalls out and the bonus structure is initially promising, but even if you hit your goals the taxes are brutal.

RSS Feed </> Embed