Advisory Board

www.advisory.com
Employer Engaged

urban rat race with low salaries, unique benefits

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Young workforce
    Ability to learn how to work in high volume atmosphere
    Workout hours
    Community Impact Volunteer hours
    company events
    Cool office
    Will become proficient in administrative office tasks
    Will learn Salesforce

Cons

Salaries are much lower than the average for D.C. Especially difficult for employees with entry level salaries to afford living in D.C. many associates still live at home with parents , or work multiple jobs as a result. Entry level jobs are sold to applicants citing possibility of promotion within 6 months to a year, which is not commonplace. Turnover is rampant, especially in revenue generating departments (Account Management and Marketing). This creates a culture of peers managing peers, as a manager can very often be the same age or even younger than the associate that they are managing. All of these dynamics combined make it very difficult to move up, whether you are the best individual to take a new position or not. There is a high strung, stressful environment within the office. The real must at ABC is to find someone to advocate for you--or you'll never make it! Career committees are extremely political, though the company prides itself on being 'merit-based'. After a few months at ABC it becomes clear that Associates and other entry level staff are dispensable cogs in a wheel.

Turnover iS an issue in revenue generating departments, whether it affects the numbers or not.

Great place to start career but a lot is changing

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time

Pros

Smart people, flexible work options, lots of potential for upward career growth if you start at very junior levels, interesting work

Cons

Lack of honesty with employees about reality:

Despite "mom friendly" policies, the culture only rewards long work hours. Anyone who asks for flexibility or a reasonable work load is quickly assigned to projects below their experience level and with no advancement potential.

Layoffs have occurred but leadership will not discuss it. Instead, executives are saying the company is doing the best it ever has. Many employees are seeing through this and planning to leave.

Be honest with yourselves and with employees about how the firm is performing. Focus more on what needs to change and less on what's worked in the past when circumstances were different.

Smart roots; poor technical execution

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

Exceptionally smart business and consulting people in this company. They know their business inside and out. I am regularly impressed by how much healthcare experience is in the company.

Cons

They may know their business inside and out, but they do not know technology and how to cultivate it, manage it, and use it as a competitive advantage. And the upper management can be completely indecisive as a result when it comes to making meaningful changes.

Great Life Balance for Some, Not All

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart people, generally pretty nice.

Cons

I work in New Product Development/Corporate Strategy. I work with smart, motivated people. However, there is absolutely no work life balance. Some departments are done by 6:00 or 5:30, but not all. Make sure you know what you're signing up for.

Improve work life balance. No one lasts in corporate strategy longer than two years - there is a reason for that.

The Advisory Board is a great place for early-professional corporate work, but not a great place to grow into a career.

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Culture of giving back - good fit for non-profit-minded folks

Cons

Long hours without much ownership

Great place to work

I worked at Advisory Board

Pros

Intellectually rigorous, perfectionist culture. Always learning. Smart, interesting, ambitious people. Commitment to service.

Cons

Very young, very white employee base. Culture is definitely of highly privileged recent college grads.

Diversity--in socioeconomic background, educational background and work history, race, ethnicity, age.

Manager of Operations

Current Employee - Manager of Operations in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager of Operations in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

Great company, great work life balance, great colleagues, many opportunities for advancement, decent salary

Cons

There aren't that many cons with this role as you really control everything about your career

None

Great if you're just starting out, but doesn't function like a typical software company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (more than a year)

Pros

All of these pros depend heavily on your position, department, manager and especially your team. These are the pros that I experienced, but I know that other positions and teams are not given the same opportunities or judged by the same merits as mine.
    - Mentoring: I was lucky enough to get a manager that wanted me to grow and succeed. If I wanted to learn something new I was usually given the time and opportunity to do so. He backed up my decisions when I needed it and advocated for me during my review sessions.
    - Promotions and raises are indeed merit based (again, though, this depends on your manager and the expectations that are set for your position). During my time there I received promotions at both of my major review cycles.
    - There is a lot of opportunity to work on internal/side projects if you're interested in a change of pace (and most managers are supportive of it).
    - Compensation and benefits are really good. My starting salary was at the national average despite having little experience in the position I was hired for and my raises were over 10% each time.
    - Education/Conference budget is pretty good.
    - Work/Life balance is respected and encouraged. WFH is generally not an issue.
    - The offices are quite nice (in Austin) and have a lot of variety in meeting spaces. Top of the line hardware (laptop/desktop, monitors) and software with reasonable times between upgrades. It can sometimes be difficult to expense unique software, but if it's critical to your job you can usually get it approved.
    - Opportunities for travel (depending on position), and the possibility of traveling to the India office if you have a lot of team members there.
    - Generally a good place to work when you're just starting out. They tend to take chances on those that are enthusiastic and that have potential.
    - Regular happy hours, some corporate sponsored events and a lot of social people.

Cons

Despite all of these cons I generally did enjoy my time at ABC; unfortunately over the last year the software side has increasingly been assimilated into the corporate world. Culture has suffered and all of the negatives have become that much more obvious. Despite the cons, the company will likely continue to grow for a long while.
    - The Advisory Board side of the company began as a research and consulting firm and only acquired the software development side much later. Many of the Advisory employees became managers in the development side, which means that they've struggled a lot figuring out how to be a software company. They were successful because they had no competition early on, which led to huge growth and further growing pains.
    - A result of the above is that for a long time the company has had no idea what Agile means. Product Managers, Sales, Marketing, and anyone else with the customer's ear regularly promises features so that they can sign contracts. This is without consenting or notifying the development team, and those features take priority over other features or enhancement work. This makes it nearly impossible for anyone to work on anything 'innovative' or to contribute major ideas. The only people who get to work on 'innovative' ideas are on completely separate "Incubator" teams and you better believe that the execs tout their accomplishments at every all-hands meeting.
    - There's not a great history of smoothly incorporating acquisitions into the rest of the company.
    - More silos than an industrial cattle operation.
    - Despite what the PR hiring videos tell you, it's very difficult to change positions if you end up wanting to go a different direction in your career. This is especially true if you are good at what you do (but aren't passionate about it). Just like at any other company, it depends completely on whether there's a position open where you want to go and how quickly they can backfill your current position.
    - The company loves to take credit for it's employees accomplishments (for example, peer pressure - to the point of bullying - to 'log' your volunteer hours so that the firm can feel warm and fuzzy about 100% participation).
    - The departments with the smallest teams doing the most work (and the highest stress) often get the least recognition (if any) from upper management and executives.
    - So many meetings that it often gets in the way of working. Even if you will get nothing valuable out of the meeting, you are expected to go because you're in a certain department.
    - The feedback loops (and language barrier, at times) between the US and India offices can be painful.
    - Development teams often have way too many developers, which means others need to work twice as hard to keep up with the pace of releases.
    - The kitchen is fairly well stocked but almost never with anything healthy. Too much soda and sugary sports drinks.

Hire people to management that know how to lead a development company. Recognize smaller teams and learn about your employees that have titles you don't understand. Begin recognizing your failures at least as much as your accomplishments and put effort into improving them instead of waiting for the rest of the company to do so. Stop making promises that other people will be on the hook to fulfill. No direct complaints about the CEO, but I have no idea what he does other than give long speeches about how great the company is.

Great company to start out from

Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is willing to help you if you have any questions, people are young and energetic.

Cons

As an intern I got a good salary but it is very common for their salaries to be below market.

Invest more in your employees with training.

Great place to start

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Great community environment
    - Growing company

Cons

- Lower salary than average
    - Overtime is a given

Advisory Board Photos