Advisory Board

www.advisory.com

Advisory Board Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 1, 2014
Advisory Board – Chicago – “Love my work station”

Advisory Board CEO and Director Robert W. Musslewhite

Robert W. Musslewhite

Pros
  • Promotes a health work-life balance(in 23 reviews)

• Happy Hours, incentive trips, community service projects, etc(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is definitely skewed towards work rather than life(in 25 reviews)

• Horrible work-life balance and long hours(in 13 reviews)

132 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Strong work/life balance

Marketing Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Prosgreat environment, great co-workers, strong office culture and great benefits

Consthe associate salary is not ideal but with the bonuses it can be a solid starting salary

Energetic, positive culture

Marketing Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat benefits. Very positive, energetic, and fun culture. Lots of upward mobility and opportunities for exposure to upper management

ConsSalary is not impressive. Numbers-driven review process can be frustrating, because people in vastly different situations are evaluated the same way.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible with quantitative goals

Great work environment, but low pay

Coordinator (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCo-workers are all smart, ambitious, and fun people to work with
    Many happy hours and activities/events taking place in the office
    My managers have been very supportive of my growth within the company, want to see me succeed
    Good time off policy, benefits

ConsPay is very uncompetitive with the market if you are not in the executive level
    Depending on your position, you don't get much recognition for your hard work
    Pretty difficult to get promoted

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So happy I came here after college

Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsA pretty big learning curve, but ABC is always happy to provide its employees with opportunities for growth and to take on more responsibility. Love working on the research side of things, especially for a company that is dedicated to driving toward best answer.

ConsWork-life balance can be hard at times--tends to move in cycles, with lulls at some points and lots of overtime hours at others.

Decent place for a new graduate to start, limited opportunities for future growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe Advisory Board Company hires talented, young people straight out of college, and they promote from within early, so it's a good place to start a career and get your feet out from under you. Additionally, they have offices around the nation, so there's opportunity if your role allows it to travel or work at different places. The company takes internal development of their revenue divisions seriously and provides training and skills development for associates.

ConsFrankly, the biggest hurdle to growth at the company is after your first one or two promotions, opportunities stagnate pretty quickly. As others have said here, once you reach the middle management/senior associate/analyst level, your options dry up unless you have the voice of someone senior upstairs and can get into a marketing or senior development type position. Additionally, salaries here for the work and environments people are working in are abismal; what they pay associates in the DC market is well below market and industry average, and that seems to be the case across the board. They sell their employees that the company makes up for low salaries with "better than average" bonuses and promotion potential, but after a year or two, that just doesn't cut it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you say that you invest in your employees, think about how to actually do that for the junior associates that do the brunt of the work to keep the company going, not just rewarding senior level people for a "job well done".

Good starting point, middle levels stunt growth.

Dedicated Advisor (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThey offer wonderful development for entry-level employees. Many skill-building and content knowledge courses provide not only a robust healthcare foundation, but also professional aptitudes that are helpful in later roles.

ConsManagement to metrics is to the extreme, and most managers (at least in my section of the firm) are just gunning for their next promotion. Middle management is basically a dead end, and promotions don't mean new responsibilities until you're very senior, they just give you a new title.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible in your quantitative reviews, they stifle creativity and applying too many standards for client management doesn't fit across varied client needs. One size doesn't fit all. Give people a reason to want to stay into their late twenties/earlier thirties when career choices can be pivotal.

Great place to launch a career.

Associate Director (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLots of opportunity, great support structure, fast promotion, meritocracy.

ConsUnderpaid, lack of transparency, overworked.

Great for your first job or if your a healthcare industry expert, otherwise you'll be treated as a third class citizen.

BI Group (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIt's probably best for those as a first job out of school, but don't expect much more out of it as something to put on your resume for the next job. You'll be over qualified for the actual work and want to do more, but the opportunity and the chance to get to do what you can, just isn't there.

ConsThe healthcare experts, walk on water within the company and everyone else comes dead last and opportunities are strongly given, almost always, to those who are Ivy league pedigree. This is a company that really only looks as what university you went to, not how hard you work or what you can do.

No prospects for growth. Very Cliquish.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLots of happy hours. Low Stress

ConsLots of favoritism in play. People who have no business managing anyone other than themselves are promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote growth and avoid playing favorites

Very positive experience

Associate Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat people, forward thinking and open to new ideas and initiatives

ConsNeed for more career opportunities and growth potential

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!