Advisory Board

www.advisory.com

Advisory Board Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 27, 2014
Advisory Board – Chicago – “Love my work station”

Advisory Board CEO and Director Robert W. Musslewhite

Robert W. Musslewhite

Pros
  • Promotes a health work-life balance(in 23 reviews)

• Happy Hours, incentive trips, community service projects, etc(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is definitely skewed towards work rather than life(in 25 reviews)

• Horrible work-life balance and long hours(in 13 reviews)

133 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Stepford Wives culture, inexperienced "kids"

Senior Management (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsReally smart people who are generally clueless about the real world they are reporting on

ConsLittle cross pollination, heavy workloads

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the newbies some lessons about the real world

Great place to start your career and get a ton of experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAdvisory Board is filled with hard-working, young professionals. It's mostly kids right out of college, but if you work hard and prove your value, you can move up in the organization. Advisory Board allows you to take on management roles at a younger age than most companies. The company also promotes professional growth through individual development plans and "stretch roles". If you have a good manager, you can discuss where you want to take your career and that person should be able to scope the work to help you achieve your personal career goals. That may include changing roles within the organization. Once you are in the door, and you prove that you're a strong employee, there is flexibility to move to different departments and take on more responsibilities. One of the biggest pros at The Advisory Board is the people. Employees are really nice, helpful, and personable. Plus, if you are an employee over a certain number of years, you get 25 days PTO and 10 holidays off - that amount of paid vacation is totally unheard of these days. Depending on your manager, work-from-home/remote working is also a possibility, depending on the position.

ConsThere's high turnover at the Advisory Board because there is an extremely high performance expectation. This is a pro because kids right out of college are able to learn discipline, work ethic, and understand how a large, for-profit business is so successful. However, I see why employees leave due to burn out. I don't agree with all management styles and decisions (I've had 6 managers during my tenure with the firm) and I think the way the Advisory Board evaluates performance is a bit degrading. There is a ton of overhead at the company, and getting things done in a timely fashion tends to get frustrating due to bottlenecks, multiple competing opinions, and "too many cooks in the kitchen" for decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are going in the right direction with employee appreciation - half days every Friday in July (in addition to massive amounts of PTO), happy hours, and incentives like iPads. I think you should keep this up if you want to retain employees and show them that they are doing great work. Although this would never happen, it would be great to change up some parts of the review process. Career committee might be one of the most difficult things to have to go through - as a manager or as a direct report. It feels like a frat/sorority rush the way performance evaluations take place at the company. I wish there were a way to decrease overhead and allow for more streamlined decision-making, but that's the cost of working at a large company like this.

Director

Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood Benefits. Young, energetic work force. Recognition on Merit. Washington DC headquarters is located in a desirable part of town. A lot of team events and incentive based activities. Fast career growth

ConsLow salaries compared to other similar firms in DC. Inexperienced managers. Although a technology firm, IT infrastructure has issues regularly. Silo-ed teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee retention as turnover is in the double digits in some verticals/departments. Re-evaluate compensation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment, great people--but cut corners with pay for younger staff (i.e., most employees)

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsMeritocracy, with much faster promotion projections than other healthcare firms. They definitely understand what it takes to grow a business--innovation is central to the organization, which offers a lot of opportunity for those who are willing to rise to the challenge.

ConsThey hire young and unexperienced but capable people. But they pay us based on experience, not on how hard we work. Expect to get 10K less here than you would elsewhere for at least the first 3 years in any comparable business.

Great culture and place to grow

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat people, strong culture that informs everything we do, lots of visibility to upper management, big focus on career patching and both personal and professional growth.

ConsYou have to learn on the job, and success can be hit or miss depending on how strong your manager is, the overall health of your particular department, and how client pools are assigned.

There's no better place to find engaging, flexible work

Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- Extremely flexible schedule, PTO benefits, and remote opportunities
    - The company's growth opens up lots of opportunities for new roles
    - The work is meaningful; members see value in our product
    - Very early access to high-level/c-suite members
    - Fantastic health care and marketing bootcamp for anyone looking to work before graduate studies

Cons- Pay could be better
    - Supervisors can be petty and sometimes make decisions based on favoritism
    - Work-life balance is tough in some roles (particularly associate-level)

Advice to Senior ManagementBoost pay levels for these roles! You're not keeping up with the rest of Washington/peer employers. Yes, it is an employer's market now, but the reputation for low-pay is getting very sticky and will be hard to shake off.

Make very careful decisions about who gets to take on mid-level management roles. The folks overseeing the associate-level staff set the tone for the firm. They need to be mature, professional, and competent. Elevate people who will be good managers, not people who are good at their job.

Great as first job with no experience, bad for long term growth. Used as a launch pad for early career

User Support Specialist (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-Great, young, vibrant culture
    -Extraordinary internal career opportunities
    -Opportunity for flex roles and travel

Cons-High turnover, "revolving-door" attitude for entry level positions
    -Very low salaries compared to industry averages
    -Support departments aren't adequately managed and given proper attention/directives, firm focus is strictly on revenue making teams

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on skill development. Train middle managers in professional management skills, as unqualified low-level positions are promoted in to manager roles prematurely. Offer competitive salary to attract and keep talent.

Sales company: "What have you done for me lately??"

Senior Marketing Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLots of nice, young people. Easy to make friends and be social.

Cons-If you want to do well, don't expect to have a work/life balance.

-Salaries are low compared to DC average-- esp for the hours that are expected.

-Managers are just kids themselves, so promotions and such are sometimes just straight favoritism.

-In my experience, employees are sometimes "tricked" into roles. I was hired as a "marketing" associate. ABC has two marketing departments: one is sales and one is marketing. "marketing" associates are really Sales Associates/Secretaries. You'll be making cold calls to people that don't want to talk to you & depending on your manager, may be treated pretty disrespectfully.

-Meetings always start late. Accountability is zero.

-All the company cares about is making money. This may seem like a normal thing, but it's gone crazy at ABC. It doesn't matter if you've done well for 8mo straight. The mantra is always "what have you done for me lately?" If you have a bad month, you can expect they will be breathing down your neck until you quit or things turn around.

-PTO is a joke. Sure they give you 20 days as an entry level person-- sounds great! But don't expect you'll actually be able to use all 20 days. Regardless of how well you are doing, your managers will always question you if you want to take time off and pressure you not to take it (or just straight deny your request.)

Advice to Senior Management-Don't offer 20 PTO days if you don't want/won't allow your employees to take 20 days off in a year.
    -Be more up front with new hires about their role and the expectations of the company. Entry level positions have a ridiculously high turnover because people don't understand what they are getting into.

Great Place to Start

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat company, excellent growth opportunity

ConsEmployees can be a bit "clique"

Good Entry-level position

Marketing Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat opportunity for growth, internal internships, young company

ConsTransitions are not very smooth, constantly changing environment

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!