Advisory Board

Updated January 22, 2015
3.5

Advisory Board CEO and Director Robert W. Musslewhite
Robert W. Musslewhite

Pros
  • There's a good work/life balance; you're kept to or about to a 40 hour workweek (in 32 reviews)

• happy hours are very frequent when the weather is nice (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • The current managers just need to keep in mind the work/life balance of their employees (in 30 reviews)

• The salary is pretty low for the sales and marketing associate role (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

162 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The Advisory Board Company has a great work culture, and does great work in the healthcare industry

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are very young and there is a fun working environment. Additionally, there is a lot of room for mobility and growth within the company. It is truly a meritocracy.

Cons

The salary is pretty low for the sales and marketing associate role.

This job is monotonous and under-utilizes college grads, but the company as a whole is a good place to work.

Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-1/2 day Fridays during the month of July are very nice
    -tons of opportunities to volunteer (10 hours a month to volunteer)
    -happy hours are very frequent when the weather is nice.
    -Great benefits- 4 weeks of PTO; health, vision, dental are good; pre-taxed deductions to use for your MetroCard
    -The people here are great- nice, friendly, funny, easy to chat with, etc. I cannot stress this enough. This definitely offsets some of the cons of this job.

Overall, I really enjoy the Advisory Board and believe strongly in the work that we do here. I feel disillusioned in this role. You are basically a secretary, and I don't think many AMAs realized this when they accepted the position (I sure didn't!). If you are looking to just get a foot in the door, this may be a good role to start (depending on your manager of course).

Cons

-The work you do as an AMA (Account Management Associate) requires no college degree, and it could easily be done by anyone without a degree for minimal wage. They are under-utilizing college (and graduate school) graduates.
    -This role requires absolutely NO healthcare experience, which is frustrating if you are actually interested in healthcare and have experience (like I do). I have seen multiple Relationship Managers (RMs- the role directly above the AMA position) hired that worked as teachers or in politics and know absolutely nothing about healthcare, but because they have been out of school just one or two years before me, they are somehow qualified for this more senior position. I find this so frustrating because they truly are no more qualified than me, but yet I work under them.
    -During interviews, management will "beef up" this job to make it seem interesting and important, but in reality, you just emails all day and do very easy, monotonous tasks for your managers.
    -Management does not tell you of the HEAVY sales atmosphere (it's not marketing, but your incentives are based on sales-related tasks; if this makes you uncomfortable, think twice about applying or accepting an offer for this position).
    -Must be at work for 9 hours a day- in the Research and Insights division, AMAs are required to work from 8:30 to 5:30 and take a one hour break (many AMAs just sit at their desks and continue to work during this "break"). Management states that this is how they enforce a work-life balance, but it would be nice to have a bit more flexibility in working your 8 hours, particularly if you are emailing or calling people in difference time zones (west coast, Alaska, Hawaii, or internationally).
    -No work from home option despite that the majority of your work is done on a computer, (which can be done essentially anywhere).

1. During the interview process, be straight with your interviewees. One potential manager who interviewed me told me that I had the opportunity to travel with my manager to learn more about the manager role (which is the job directly above mine) and the products we offer. In reality, associates are strictly not allowed to travel.
    2. When sending emails to associates, if it takes you longer to type up the email than it does to do the task that you are asking the associate to complete, just do it yourself. You would be surprised at how often this occurs. My managers send me 10-20 emails a day asking me to do very simple, basic things that they could have done themself. It disrupts work flow and productivity, and it throws my train of thought off.

Marketing Associate

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is filled with young people who also just moved to DC fresh out of college, so the network is great for starting a life in DC.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations and you success all depends on the straw you are given. It isn't an even playing field but the "management" acts as if it. You either succeed well or wake up every morning with a knot in your stomach wanting scream at your marketer, chief of staff, and your team lead.

You really need to work on your marketing model. You're aggravating people off more than helping them. Also, career service offices across the country are deferring students from applying. Even at your top recruiting schools like Wake Forrest.

Great place to start your career but there is a reason there is so much turnover

Current Employee - Dedicated Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Dedicated Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, fun culture, a lot of PTO, opportunity to interact with C-suite at hospitals, easy access to research and best practices, incentives for community service (great part of the culture here)

Cons

Compensation isn't competitive especially with DC's rapidly growing cost of living, very heavy in the middle: hard for Senior Associate to move to Mgmt, no delineation between Associate and Senior Associate just a heavier member load, mgmt doesn't necessarily have mgmt experience, external health care experience doesn't get you far here, have to drink the kool aid, lack of collaboration/teamwork: incentives aren't team based which leads to competition between co-workers that doesn't necessarily help the team or members, sales is part of everyone's job: this is explained in the hiring process. The hiring process isn't transparent. I ended up with a different job then I applied for, and do a different job then I was hired for. All this leads to a lot of turnover

The People and Culture are Great... Salary is Horrible

Current Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Office Culture, Opportunity to Move Up

Cons

Salary... Barely enough to live... especially in DC

Great mission and people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work flexibility, powerful mission and guiding principles, smart people and the caliber of hires only improves each year, lots of opportunity for rapid advancement if you work hard up to the Senior Director level, engaging work

Cons

Some bad managers can ruin the experience (that said there are many good managers), lots of politics, siloed organization, too heavy on upper and middle management in some areas, limited advancement opportunity above the SD level, bad pay.

Pay more attention to how well managers manage others, use engagement drivers beyond promotion (salary increases, stock options, etc), change org and incentive structure to promote collaboration

Great place to launch a career!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a fabulous place to work - great culture, tons of opportunity for those that are motivated to take it. Support of career growth and ability to move around to get different experiences over time.

Cons

Many of the roles require significant travel - can be difficult to maintain a career trajectory if you are not willing to travel 3-4 days a week. There is also a clear "mold" - if you don't fit it, opportunities will be limited, but probably not that different that cultural fit at most organizations.

Great company, hard to move up

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has a great culture--everyone is young, fun and hardworking. They also definitely try and emphasize a work-life balance

Cons

There's a huge pool of entry level workers and not enough desired "mid-level" roles. As such, while they hook you in with the promise of internal promotion and growth, it's much more competitive than it seems.

Don't make the internal interview process so competitive and difficult. We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get a job at a company we already work for.

STAY AWAY FROM MARKETING

Current Employee - Marketing Associate (Senior) in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate (Senior) in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are OK. Opportunities for career growth after 1 - 1.5 years as an associate.

Cons

Marketing is full of terrible management. Compensation is not competitive to retain top talent -- or cover living expenses in DC. Cliques define the culture.

The Chief of Staff role is a waste of resources and money.

Happily Associate Director of Consulting here

Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A true meritocracy, with fast promotions for those who are willing to really put in the time and over-deliver. Time-off policies are very flexible; everyone has "PTO" rather than strict sick days vs. vacation days and they give you 25 paid days off per year, not including the generous vacation day 'give-aways': 1/2 day Fridays for all of July, July 3rd off as a thank you for completing surveys for Modern Healthcare's best places to work, January 2nd off as a firm-wide congrats for passing 2,000 employees.

Cons

compensation is middle-of-the-road--not what you'd get in other consulting firms, but the firm is actively working on it firm-wide.

Advisory Board Photos