AdvizeX Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
18 reviews filtered by
3.4
Fred Traversi

1. Overall a good company, could be great.

I have been working at AdvizeX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In general, the people are good people who want to get things done, and you're allowed to do that at AdvizeX, with certain limits. It takes a while to understand how the company works, since there are a lot of interdependencies between sales, presales, and services. Once you do, and you prove yourself, you can grow, but recognize that it's a company built around relationships. You have to advocate on your own behalf, and have a manager who does that also.

Cons

The company often tries to do way too many things, and it becomes broad, but not deep. One week one technology is our highest priority, another week it's a different technology. The company says it's all about people, but there are things it could do to treat people better and have them benefit from their contribution to the long-term success of the company. Internal communications could be improved a lot.

Advice to Management

Recognize that employees make the company, and put something concrete around retaining people.

2. Overall it has been a challenge.

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at AdvizeX

Pros

Not enough time learn everything..

Cons

Not enough time to learn it all.

Advice to Management

Grow your people first.

3. One of a Kind Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at AdvizeX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at other System Integrators in New England and I can honestly say this one is different from the rest. Some of the key differences are:
            - Narrow focus on OEMs. If its not HP, EMC, VMware, Oracle, or VCE we don't sell it (there are a few exceptions)
              which means we have great relationships with those OEMs and the technical expertise goes deep and wide
              within these products which makes it less stressful on the Architects and Consultants as well as better customer
              outcomes
            - Senior Management is very fiscally responsible and as a result the company carries no debt. I feel very secure
               in my position at AdvizeX, layoffs are almost non-existent.
            - There is lots of opportunity for employee input. There is almost constant opportunity to help shape AdvizeX's
               go-to-market strategy through various sub teams that are created to come up with recommendations on what
               solutions our customers need.
            - There are good opportunities for growth. With the merger with Rolta this company is poised for some explosive
              growth which means there are going to be new positions being created in many different areas of the company.

Cons

- AdvizeX has great support staff but could use more of them especially as the company continues to grow.
    - Marketing has been an issue but has recently starting being addressed with a much better overall social media
      strategy

Advice to Management

Keep it going! This company is poised to do some great things!

Company Needs Internal Work

I have been working at AdvizeX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm fortunate enough to work in an office with a GREAT staff. Everyone is very welcoming and friendly, yet still professional. The office is very flexible and accommodating when it comes to work hours. We all understand that real life happens, and in turn we all put in extra effort when needed...which as of late has been pretty often! But that's because we're growing and growth is positive!

Cons

-Accountability is one of our core values and yet nobody is really held accountable for anything. Great if you don't ever want to step on any toes; Not so great if you want things to actually get done, and get done in a timely fashion.
    -There seems to be a lack of motivation to drive best practices from upper management; All they seem to care about are dollars, not how we got them.
    -There's so many internal politics going on that most of the time it's very difficult to tell who's word is the highest.
    -I feel like there is still an unclear line between Rolta and AdvizeX. Some things we do as one company together, some things we do as two companies separately.
    -Don't take a position on the admin team if you ever want to make more than your starting salary. You're only going to really make any money here if you're in a position that's eligible for commissions and/or bonuses.

Advice to Management

-Invest in bettering the employees you already have instead of spending it on-boarding so many new people.
    -Hold your managers accountable for both their numbers AND their account executives actions.
    -Don't forget about your admin team. We may not be making you money, but we're keeping the boat afloat!
    -Streamline best practices for ALL regions; don't just let everyone do whatever they want.
    -Promote better internal communications not just within AdvizeX, but between AdvizeX and Rolta NA.

6. Company Ahead of the Curve

Current Employee - Vice President in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Burlington, MA

I have been working at AdvizeX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Advizex has solid leadership that is tied into all it's major partners allowing them to stay ahead the curve and insuring they give the best advice and service to their customers. The ability to stay ahead of market trends enables Advizex to differentiate itself in the market and attract highly skilled employees.

Cons

The companies fast growth can spread some employees to thin. Although they continuously look to attract quality employees companies growing at this rate have a hard time finding the level of skills to match the pace of growth.

Advice to Management

Remain focused on your core values as the company grows.

AdvizeX Response

Jan 12, 2015VP of Operations

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Advizex.

To address the reviewers feedback regarding our fast growth at times spreading people thin - we look to continuously improve
    ... More

7. Formerly a very great place to work, now all of that is gone.

Former Employee - Senior Virtualization Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Virtualization Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at AdvizeX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's still some pretty great people here from sales, management and especially the tech staff. You rarely hear the "That's not my job" line from anyone. There are some very smart people here for the time being.

You can make pretty good money here if you are willing to be wherever the jobs are and fight for your utilization percentage.

If you like to drink, they throw some great parties and there are some genuinely good people there that I still consider friends. Hope you like Vegas or Cleveland though, because that's about it. People here drink like it's an episode of Mad Men.

Time between customer engagements was yours to manage for the most part and they were very generous with letting you essentially do studying or whatever you wanted to. Sometimes you'd be sitting around for months, sometimes you'd prepare for the next engagement, sometimes you'd get a call "Can you be in Chicago tomorrow?" and it was pretty nice to have that freedom.

The company assisted me in moving for one of the long-term projects and was quite generous in the matter.

Cons

A year or two ago, I would have made this 5 stars, and they would have earned it. The company I started with is no longer there. After the company was purchased (They like to call it a merger, but it's pretty clear what happened.) things just changed. It was pretty clear that the good times of being treated like an adult were over, and consultants were just treated like cattle. Margins were all they were concerned about.

You will never see an increase to your base salary. Never. Get what you want when you start because it will not change. (As every other honest review says.) You'll get additional utilization bonus, but mostly at the very high utilization rates. You have to make a LOT of money for them before any of it makes it's way down to you.

Most of the perks are gone. They play up the family-culture of the company, but it's really just the old boys club. Expenses and travel were all cut-rate by the time I left. They will expect you to travel when it's cheapest even if it means spending extra days or weeks somewhere. It's all about bottom line for using the consultants as cheaply as possible. And even when you do a good job, or you sacrifice for them, you can just expect more of the same and have to fight for every dollar. You'll frequently get to see what the numbers are on projects and think "Wow... They make all that money off my work, but I can't upgrade to a better seat on the plane for $20?"

Recognition comes in the form of a jacket or trinket trophy until you get to the top, and it's pretty full up there. It essentially doesn't matter how hard you work or how willing you are to take on assignments or volunteer for work and help out. I moved all over the country and took on long projects and was always praised by my customers, and when they were done, there was no warning, no severance, nothing. I was just waiting for my next project and was instead told I was just gone. I never once turned down a single project, a move of thousands of miles for a long term client, or emergency call, or even volunteering to help. So, keep that in mind if you are looking to accept an offer here. From top performer to gone, no warning, no notice, nothing.

The new managers are pretty inept and only serve as a mouthpiece to the senior management, who are always far too busy to address any concerns. So expect to fight for every little thing and get no support. If there ever is an issue with a customer, you can expect zero support from any of the managers.

There is no test lab. They say there's one. There is technically a place where they claim to have a lab and there is equipment there, but it is impossible to use in any useful manner. So be prepared to have your own lab or use customer's equipment.

Advice to Management

I had previously written an unfair and far too harsh review, that I have revised after feedback from the senior management. (6 months later... So that's still the same.) I don't have any animosity against the company really, I just really miss what the company used to be. I wanted to be there for decades and work my way up, so I was very disappointed with the changes and the way I was just dumped by them after I was willing to do so much. I do, however, want to warn others about drinking that company kool aid and being told that you'll be rewarded for working hard. It's a lot of liars, infighting, and watching the guys at the top brag about how rich we've made them. Empty promises. You're disposable to them. Don't forget that. And that's the reason for my review.

Good technical managers are essential to any IT organization and having managers that are willing to go to bat for their employees is so important. The new batch of middle managers was incredibly cut-rate and just led to the downfall of the company from the consultant's perspective. I heard the same thing from a lot of my team members.

Perks are really appreciated and make consultants feel a lot better about how hard they work. Being denied a nice hotel to relax and frequently do more work in, in a new city, and having to be on a peasant's budget because of profit margins... It makes all of your talk about how important the consultants are just lip service. Let people live a little.

Citing how much you've expanded the company and how many more people you've hired doesn't address any concerns. It just shows that you've gotten a lot more people to buy in on the story. Growth and performance and quoting figures on increasing headcount is irrelevant to my complaints. If you've changed and there are actual internal opportunities, I commend you on it. Sounds like the typical nonsense you get here though. Ask about a problem, get a sales pitch and figures and how great the company is... and no solution to the problems.

8. Great Company to Work - Make sure there is a mutual fit

I have been working at AdvizeX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for and I personally have had the opportunity to grow my career as the company has grown. The company has consistently grown revenues and overall employee headcount dating back to 2005.
    The vision of the company is Customers for Life – so for sales people in the organization this is great because once an account rep brings in a new client the organization rallies around them to provide the best support for the client and even when things go wrong on an client engagement the organization’s philosophy is to figure out how to get things back on track and make them right for client.

For consultants and technologist the organization has a broad customer base across multiple verticals so there are always a wide variety of technologies and projects to work on. The company invests heavily in training for the technical resources to serve clients and also keep aligned to their strategic OEM partners. The company business strategy is to lead with technologist and I would credit this strategy as what has allowed the company to stay in business since 1975 and remain relevant as innovation and disruptive technology has changed the IT landscape over the years.

Culturally and operationally the company provides clearly defined objective goals for individual employees and defines what employees need to do to be rewarded financially. The company refers to this as their value of Pay for Performance so individuals that deliver high performance will do well while under performers will not make as much money.

The company is good about work life balance and providing employees with freedom and flexibility in how they get their jobs done. If employees take accountability and initiative around pursuing the goals defined by the company and perform, the company provides a lot of freedom and flexibility to those high performing employees.

The management team is committed to employees once they are hired assuming the employee performs. In 2009 during the recession the company management made the conscious decision to take a hit to bottom line profits instead of laying off any employees when a great majority of other IT companies were laying off up to 25% of their workforces. In that time period of economic uncertainty it was nice to have the security of knowing the company would do the right thing by employees.

The company was acquired in November of 2012 and the acquisition has had a positive impact on further increasing the focus on driving the growth of the services business and growing the technology organization to bring the best technologists to customers. The acquisition has also had the benefit of broadening the portfolio of solutions the company offers.

Cons

The biggest challenge I would warn a new employee about is when new people that join the organization, I have sometimes seen that the freedom and flexibility that comes with the work life balance aspect of the company’s culture cans sometimes be confused for lack of clarity or direction – Individuals that take initiative, responsibility, and accountability usually overcome this challenge pretty quickly. The company expects its employees to be professionals and with this autonomy comes a little bit of ambiguity at times.

For sales reps joining the organization it can be difficult for the first 12-18 months as you hunt for accounts and build up a book of business. The company culture of customers for life means that install base accounts don’t get shifted around between account reps much, unless the customer specifically requests a change or the sales rep is not performing. As a rep if you have existing accounts or relationships when you join the company you will ramp faster otherwise you need to look at joining the company with some upfront investment in the first 12-18 months to build up a book of business.

The advice I would give to a consultant is reach out early on to build relationships and get engaged on client projects otherwise you will have some challenges getting ramped up. For consultants and technologists joining the organization you will typically get busy on projects quickly although sometimes the first month to quarter can take some time to build your relationships with the technical leadership team, sales teams, and other consultants. Typically once a strong technical consultant starts getting in front of clients and working on projects and establishes credibility there will be lots of requests to get that consultant involved and working on projects. The company will also ask the consultants to take training and certification for compliance with OEM programs and to remain on the leading edge for clients – sometimes consultants struggle with balancing out training with working on client engagements.

Sometimes the organizations sets challenging stretch goals to drive individual growth in alignment with organizational growth of the company.

The acquisition in 2012 like any other acquisition created a period of transition for about 1 year or so. We were told there would not be any changes and for the most part that has turned out to be an accurate statement, the biggest change being the shift towards increasing the growth of the services business and the technical staff which has been a positive change for customers and employees. With some minor ups and downs after the acquisition overall it went well for an acquisition and the company direction and strategy feels stronger now that it was before the acquisition.

9. Great place to work!

I have been working at AdvizeX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- People - Overall, there are some great people here. Very likeable and very smart.
    - Vision - Light-years ahead of competitors in their vision and execution upon the vision.
    - Investment - They invest more per technical employee than any company I've seen.
    - Profitable / Stable - Consistent double-digit growth.

Cons

- Limited Support Staff - They could really stand to grow the support / admin staff.

Advice to Management

- Culture - Overall the culture is very good, but could use some changes. Focus on maintaining the culture that got us where we are.

10. pre-sales

Former Employee - Solution Architect in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Solution Architect in Waterbury, CT

I worked at AdvizeX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of opportunities to improve career with education and hands on experience

Cons

lack of sales/ accounts in a small territory

Don't waste your time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at AdvizeX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great sales pitch. If the company they sold me on when I interviewed existed, I'd really want to work there.

Cons

The actual projects and politics here are monumentally obstructive. It's a wonder they manage to stay in business with all of the infighting. You get to hear your do-nothing boss brag about buying expensive toys while there's not enough in the budget for your laptop. The test lab they talk about in the interview does not actually exist. I fell for it, but the thing that is more surprising is that customers still do.

Advice to Management

You trade on your name in this business and you are losing it.