AdvizeX

Fred Traversi

Company Ahead of the Curve

Current Employee - Vice President in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Burlington, MA

I have been working at AdvizeX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Advizex has solid leadership that is tied into all it's major partners allowing them to stay ahead the curve and insuring they give the best advice and service to their customers. The ability to stay ahead of market trends enables Advizex to differentiate itself in the market and attract highly skilled employees.

Cons

The companies fast growth can spread some employees to thin. Although they continuously look to attract quality employees companies growing at this rate have a hard time finding the level of skills to match the pace of growth.

Remain focused on your core values as the company grows.

Great Company to Work - Make sure there is a mutual fit

I have been working at AdvizeX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for and I personally have had the opportunity to grow my career as the company has grown. The company has consistently grown revenues and overall employee headcount dating back to 2005.
    The vision of the company is Customers for Life – so for sales people in the organization this is great because once an account rep brings in a new client the organization rallies around them to provide the best support for the client and even when things go wrong on an client engagement the organization’s philosophy is to figure out how to get things back on track and make them right for client.

For consultants and technologist the organization has a broad customer base across multiple verticals so there are always a wide variety of technologies and projects to work on. The company invests heavily in training for the technical resources to serve clients and also keep aligned to their strategic OEM partners. The company business strategy is to lead with technologist and I would credit this strategy as what has allowed the company to stay in business since 1975 and remain relevant as innovation and disruptive technology has changed the IT landscape over the years.

Culturally and operationally the company provides clearly defined objective goals for individual employees and defines what employees need to do to be rewarded financially. The company refers to this as their value of Pay for Performance so individuals that deliver high performance will do well while under performers will not make as much money.

The company is good about work life balance and providing employees with freedom and flexibility in how they get their jobs done. If employees take accountability and initiative around pursuing the goals defined by the company and perform, the company provides a lot of freedom and flexibility to those high performing employees.

The management team is committed to employees once they are hired assuming the employee performs. In 2009 during the recession the company management made the conscious decision to take a hit to bottom line profits instead of laying off any employees when a great majority of other IT companies were laying off up to 25% of their workforces. In that time period of economic uncertainty it was nice to have the security of knowing the company would do the right thing by employees.

The company was acquired in November of 2012 and the acquisition has had a positive impact on further increasing the focus on driving the growth of the services business and growing the technology organization to bring the best technologists to customers. The acquisition has also had the benefit of broadening the portfolio of solutions the company offers.

Cons

The biggest challenge I would warn a new employee about is when new people that join the organization, I have sometimes seen that the freedom and flexibility that comes with the work life balance aspect of the company’s culture cans sometimes be confused for lack of clarity or direction – Individuals that take initiative, responsibility, and accountability usually overcome this challenge pretty quickly. The company expects its employees to be professionals and with this autonomy comes a little bit of ambiguity at times.

For sales reps joining the organization it can be difficult for the first 12-18 months as you hunt for accounts and build up a book of business. The company culture of customers for life means that install base accounts don’t get shifted around between account reps much, unless the customer specifically requests a change or the sales rep is not performing. As a rep if you have existing accounts or relationships when you join the company you will ramp faster otherwise you need to look at joining the company with some upfront investment in the first 12-18 months to build up a book of business.

The advice I would give to a consultant is reach out early on to build relationships and get engaged on client projects otherwise you will have some challenges getting ramped up. For consultants and technologists joining the organization you will typically get busy on projects quickly although sometimes the first month to quarter can take some time to build your relationships with the technical leadership team, sales teams, and other consultants. Typically once a strong technical consultant starts getting in front of clients and working on projects and establishes credibility there will be lots of requests to get that consultant involved and working on projects. The company will also ask the consultants to take training and certification for compliance with OEM programs and to remain on the leading edge for clients – sometimes consultants struggle with balancing out training with working on client engagements.

Sometimes the organizations sets challenging stretch goals to drive individual growth in alignment with organizational growth of the company.

The acquisition in 2012 like any other acquisition created a period of transition for about 1 year or so. We were told there would not be any changes and for the most part that has turned out to be an accurate statement, the biggest change being the shift towards increasing the growth of the services business and the technical staff which has been a positive change for customers and employees. With some minor ups and downs after the acquisition overall it went well for an acquisition and the company direction and strategy feels stronger now that it was before the acquisition.

Great place to work!

I have been working at AdvizeX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- People - Overall, there are some great people here. Very likeable and very smart.
    - Vision - Light-years ahead of competitors in their vision and execution upon the vision.
    - Investment - They invest more per technical employee than any company I've seen.
    - Profitable / Stable - Consistent double-digit growth.

Cons

- Limited Support Staff - They could really stand to grow the support / admin staff.

- Culture - Overall the culture is very good, but could use some changes. Focus on maintaining the culture that got us where we are.

pre-sales

Former Employee - Solution Architect in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Solution Architect in Waterbury, CT

I worked at AdvizeX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

lots of opportunities to improve career with education and hands on experience

Cons

lack of sales/ accounts in a small territory

Don't waste your time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at AdvizeX full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great sales pitch. If the company they sold me on when I interviewed existed, I'd really want to work there.

Cons

The actual projects and politics here are monumentally obstructive. It's a wonder they manage to stay in business with all of the infighting. You get to hear your do-nothing boss brag about buying expensive toys while there's not enough in the budget for your laptop. The test lab they talk about in the interview does not actually exist. I fell for it, but the thing that is more surprising is that customers still do.

You trade on your name in this business and you are losing it.

It used to be so great. All of that is gone now.

Former Employee - Senior Virtualization Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Virtualization Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at AdvizeX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's still some pretty great people here from sales, management and especially the tech staff. You rarely hear the "That's not my job" line from anyone. There are some very smart people here for the time being.

You can make pretty good money here if you are willing to move to wherever the jobs are and fight for your utilization percentage. You will never see an increase to your base salary.

Cons

They were purchased about a year ago by some offshore company that wanted experienced consulting infrastructure. We were told that "Nothing is going to change" which translates roughly to "Update your resume."

Despite all of that, I wanted to stay with the company and moved all around the country for their frequently terrible customers. When things got bad for them and there wasn't as much work, they just fired me. No severance, no warning, just nada. Not that it matters. I was screwed out of my last bonus while somehow simultaneously making making the "President's Club" (Top 90% of performers) which formerly great and now is just a pretty no-frills midweek trip to Mexico. I'm pretty sure all of those programs are things of the past. (They wouldn't even approve my "upgrade" to have my girlfriend and I actually sit next to each other on the flight. So I really felt like a real top performer. So I now have a small glass trophy stating that I am one of their most valued employees and in the president's inner circle, then fired within weeks.) I've had no shortage of offers for far beyond what they paid, so I'm quite quizzical as to why they were letting me go. No skin off my back. I tried asking senior managers for more details of why I was being let go and I got nothing. So they are either cowardly or just have their hands tied with some bad financial situation. Bad news either way.

One of the great things about this company was the way they treated you like an adult. You could stay where you'd like and fly whatever made sense all within reason. If you were over or close on the budget, you'd find out and they'd ask you to work with it. You did your job well and they took care of you. That is gone. The last few gigs were "Cheapest flight anywhere, share cars, use our hotels, no luggage fees, and oh yeah... You might as well just stay in Ohio all month and save a few bucks on a flight." So it's just another bottom line consulting company. Which is a real shame since they really were so much more. They had so much power in their consultants, and now they are just selling it out.

If you are considering taking a position with this company, I'd reconsider. There are a lot better companies out there and I don't think the outlook for this one is terribly promising. You should be ready to pick up and move from state to state if you plan to get ahead in the company. It won't work, but that's what they'll tell you.

You replaced the successful middle managers with clueless B and C list cronies with zero vision. It's probably too late to do anything about it and why would you care? You all cashed out long ago. Hopefully the good people can get out before they are pushed out too. It's a shame to hear major customers even notice and say things like "Advizex used to be our go-to agency when we needed something done but we've gone elsewhere now."

If you ever did want to fix it, you would just go back to the company you were 4 years ago. Taking care of both customers and consultants and rewarding talent.

Good Company Overall

I have been working at AdvizeX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well managed company which is rare for a systems integrator. Strong partnerships with HP, EMC, and VMware. If you like working with those technologies this is the place for you.

Cons

Nothing major to report. The variable compensation plans are very difficult to maximize.

A great learning experience.

I worked at AdvizeX

Pros

There were good apples and bad apples within the organization. There are a number of talented individuals to build a business with.

Cons

Most of the sales reps lack the ability to establish meaningful relationships with clients. This puts a heavy burden on technologists to help win the business. Unfortunately, the business model more heavily burdens the engineers than any other position which eventually burns them out.

Stick to your core values and pay for performance. If an employee meets their goal, do not make it harder for them to achieve the same pay the following year. Reward them for good, hard work.

Great place to work at if you want to be sued

I have been working at AdvizeX

Pros

Cannot think of a good reason to work at this organization.

Cons

AdvizeX will bleed you of all your available cycles and not pay you for them.

Get a clue and stop bragging about your kid, who is two years out of College making over $80k, while you are paying the experts in your field marginally more, who have over 20 year experience. It might help the culture a bit if you said, "hello" to employees who work three feet outside your office.

Great culture, strong leadership, pay for performance

Current Employee - Presales in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Presales in Burlington, MA

I have been working at AdvizeX full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Culture, technical talent, respect for the individual, enablement

Cons

Like any job, you need to manage your work/life balance and ask for help if needed.

Increase focus on employee engagement for work/life balance and career development.