Advocate Health Care

Updated September 21, 2014
3.2

Advocate Health Care President and CEO Jim Skogsbergh
Jim Skogsbergh

Pros
  • Very good benefits package, good tuition reimbursement program, some room for advancement within the company (in 6 reviews)

• Great company, opportunity for advancement (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management refuses to solve the "real" issues in the department (in 7 reviews)

• Middle managers not always the best people for their position (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Absolutely love working here, the connection with the patients is great!

Former Employee - Medical Assistant
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant

I worked at Advocate Health Care as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They care about their patients such a great deal!! They are flexible with staff when problems arise!

Cons

I wasn't able to stay long

n/

Changing face of healthcare

Former Employee - Health Care Executive  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Health Care Executive in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Advocate Health Care full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strong balance sheet. Good position to acquire other companies. Company has done good work in being forward thinking and bringing in the types of programs to keep its competitive advantage.

Cons

Under intense pressure to reduce cost, leading to reduction in force and doing more with less. Too much politics for a health care company focused on its clinical enterprise.

Don't forget V is for Values.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Advocate Health Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Executive leadership team is down to earth and as transparent as they can be. They appear to care about patient safety and that employees are happy. They have many employee functions and benefits that I love. We have picnics, employee celebrations, and vendors that come in like farmers market. I admire the positive presence Advocate has in Illinois and the industry. Our processes are widely known as being innovative and top notch. Our doctors are certainly a cut above the rest due to our strong criteria and expectations. I LOVE that we have a pension plan...as one of the last companies left to have one. I would be anywhere else.

Cons

I gave it 4 stars because unfortunately not ALL middle managers share the behaviors of excellence that we've grown to expect. If you do get one that is sub-par.. I encourage you to not leave Advocate...just leave the dept. It is truly a wonderful place to be and most of us really care about the work we do and keeping our patients safe and healthy.

Weed out the bad apples that drive the company down and it's employees out the door. Take a look at some of the dept that have an extremely high turn over and you'll most likely find it's someONE driving employees out.
    The turn around time to replace or fill an exiting employees position is way too long and cumbersome. HR in healthcare has a bad reputation for being too slow and disorganized. While healthcare organizations spend a lot of time concentrating on healthcare (which is good) the HR process and structure is sorely lacking and in desperate need of a revamp. When applying for positions, I usually never get informed of the outcome...I can only assume after time goes by that I did not get an opportunity to interview. When I talk to HR recruiting they tell me that Advocate employees do NOT have an advantage over outside candidates, which I believe is clearly wrong. If you don't find the talent you need inside, THEN you look externally. According to HR recruiting, it's first come first serve.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at Advocate Health Care full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive Salary
    Great Benefits and programs
    Room for growth and promotion from within
    Associate focused
    Offers many programs for associates to better themselves like education assistance and Healthy You

Cons

Large Organization so there can be some communication lapses between departments

If you happen to have a good manager, it's a good place to work, but if not....it can be a nightmare.

I have been working at Advocate Health Care part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I work with a lot of wonderful people, who really care about the patients that they serve. The pay is better than some other healthcare organizations. If you have a good manger, it's a decent company to work for.

Cons

Under-staffing leads to low employee moral and poor patient care. Numerous concerns and complaints about the office manager by a majority of the staff have gone nowhere. It is clear that if you 'know someone' at the top of the company, you will keep your job despite being incompetent. Most of the workers in this office are looking for another job simply because of the poor management. Many long time employees have already quit for the same reason.

Please hire managers that actually care about the people who work so hard for them every day.

Possibly getting too big for its own britches

I worked at Advocate Health Care full-time

Pros

Organization was once decentralized and hospital sites of care was a primary focus for sustainable growth. There was lots of potential for reward and recognition

Cons

Very tops-down organization. Senior leadership seems to not get community need by geography. They are focused on acquisition, but I challenge if "real" growth is occurring from this flavor of the month deals, buyouts and lets now run in this direction. They don't seem to stick with strategies long enough before moving on to the next.

Don't stray too far from your core strategies. These brought you success and more employee satisfaction

This place is excellent

Former Employee - Care Companion  in  Oak Lawn, IL
    Former Employee - Care Companion in Oak Lawn, IL

I worked at Advocate Health Care part-time for more than a year

Pros

I like the staff very friendly.

Cons

I had not a one Con while working here

Keep up the good work

Terrific experience.

Former Employee - Director of Operations  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Advocate Health Care full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good opportunity for advancement in the home care division

Cons

Salaries could be more competitive

Create transparencies

Horrible

I have been working at Advocate Health Care full-time

Pros

Absolutely nothing I would never reccomend this place to anyone. treats employees for poorly and does not care

Cons

Long hours, horrible pay, does not listen to the opinions of their employees. does not care about patients.

The staff I work with is excellent but the management only cares about money

I worked at Advocate Health Care full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

wonder staff friendly and easy to work with

Cons

poor compensation and salary for the workload

keep your employees happy and they will stay longer.

Worked for Advocate Health Care? Contribute to the Community!