Advocate Health Care

Advocate Health Care Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Advocate Health Care President and CEO Jim Skogsbergh

Jim Skogsbergh

Pros
  • Very good benefits package, good tuition reimbursement program, some room for advancement within the company(in 6 reviews)

• Great company, opportunity for advancement(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management refuses to solve the "real" issues in the department(in 7 reviews)

• Middle managers not always the best people for their position(in 3 reviews)

Proud to work for Advocate

ProsSenior leadership espouses and typically makes the right decisions for right reasons- even when difficult

ConsReflection of times and national healthcare crisis- money is leaving the system and decisions need to be made to try and survive the onslaught of cuts

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your 'ear to the ground' with frontline staff- always truest contributors to an honest assessment of organization.

Good place to work.

NCT (Former Employee) Park Ridge, IL

ProsFlexible schedule, pays for school, good hospital

ConsNot to much bad I would say they need not over work their employees. they do understaff

Yes but no

Fitness Specialist (Current Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsGreat benefits and a secure company to work for.

ConsNot much room for career advancement.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Public Safety Officer

Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood pay , regular hours

ConsIn hospital security/public safety you run a very real risk of SEVERE INJURY as you will be involved in physical confrontations with individuals with psychiatric issues,drug addicts all who may or may not have any number of dangerous if not fatal virus's up to and including active Type C Hep or HIV. You will have to sit watches on these same individuals, you have to deal with expired/dead patients who have passed away from known deadly virus's and or infectious agents.You will be scratched,bitten,kicked,slapped,punched,spat at as well as have excrement or urine thrown at you by the same persons listed above. This job is also a excellent jumping off point into law enforcement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell interviewee's the absolute truth of the job expectations

Executive leadership several poor performers who are not held accountable.

Director of Marketing (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsThousands of dedicated and compassionate people work at Advocate. Clinical care is outstanding. The culture is hit and miss by division and location. The pay is above average and benefits pretty standard for healthcare.

ConsThere are some serious jerks in the executive leadership ranks. They create havoc for those who must serve them.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold system and site leaders accountable for their poor leadership and behavior.

Too Many Executives, Managers, VP's and Supervisors, not enough patient access to hands on clinical staff

ProsA diverse work force with hard working skilled clinical staff. A stable employer with the largest network of physicians and hospitals in the Chicago land region. Decent benefits, average wages and an organization with many skilled clinicians that have excellent outcomes. An evolving organization that has the potential to excel in the health care market.

ConsAn army of Executives, VP's, Directors, Managers and Supervisors appear to have meetings about meetings and waste valuable resource talking about how to save valuable resources. Leadership has a strategy to squeeze maximum productivity out of clinical staff regardless of it's effects on quality of service, staff health or patient satisfaction. Patients want access to RN's, MD's , PT's and other Clinical Specialists they do not want a bureaucracy that drives up cost and drives down care. Clinical staff can perform many of the roles performed by current managers and supervisors but are never given the chance. Shared Governance Teams are more effcient and fair than middle managers who are out of touch with clinical roles. A lot of money is wasted by the organization in cronyism in management. Care Managers, Middle Managers and non clinical roles must be reduced and clinical roles must be supported and advanced if the organization expects to compete with other health care leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow shared governance teams that represent the entire hospital mix not just RN's and MD's. Consolidate non clinical roles down into fewer positions and increase the responsibilities of VP's, Directors and Managers to decrease the cost burdon in these non clinical roles. Ensure clinical teams are adequately staffed instead of allowing managers to send staff home low census even when census is high while taking exempt employee's hard earned PTO, ( this is a shameful practice ). Decreasing Executive salaries could allow hiring of more MD's, RN'S and PT's so do the math. Patients our customers want clinical access and health care not high costs with decresing clinical support. Have the courage to look at the true inefficiency that exists in managemnt and administration and improve clinical support, benefits, staffing and wages for the people who perform the hands on work in the hospitals. Do this and you will lead this organization to be the best it can be and it will have the best outcomes in the markets we serve. Fail to make the changes and you invite the prospect of Unionization to promote fairness.

Best healthcare system in illinois

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Park Ridge, IL

ProsNew technology, multiple opportunities for advancement, and great people.

ConsThe worry of the healthcare system sometimes clouds our minds.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat staff, great management, great enviornment

ConsHours were hard due to shift

Great Company

Medical Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood Pay! Perks ( Phone, Hotel and Car Rental Discounts.) HR is very helpful (since we don;t have a union) NORTH REGION is wonderful great places up that way! Teamwork and great!

ConsHorrible Management! Nasty Attitudes and Does not believe in employees. It like a slave ship on the SOUTH REGION. The NORTH REGION is way better.

Advice to Senior Managementhave the management go through training.

Health Navigator

ProsGreat hours, great benefits. Having the weekends off is wonderful. A reputable company

ConsMicromanagement is very common. We know what we are doing. AMG is a mess. Advocate at work is a mess. Not too happy at the moment. Does not seem like there is too much room to grow. Having to use our OWN PTO bank for national holidays is a joke and unethical.

Advice to Senior Managementstart hiring people within the company not only based on if you like them, it should be based on experience. Too much but kissing around here :) Find a way to pay your employees for nationally recognized holidays not have us pay from our PTO banks. We work hard enough we should be rewarded. SPTO for vacation is on us.

Worked for Advocate Health Care? Contribute to the Community!