Advocate Health Care

Updated October 25, 2014
3.2

Advocate Health Care President and CEO Jim Skogsbergh
Jim Skogsbergh

Pros
  • Very good benefits package, good tuition reimbursement program, some room for advancement within the company (in 6 reviews)

• Good pay; good hours; close to home (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management refuses to solve the "real" issues in the department (in 7 reviews)

• Many long term employees are not even considered for promotions, outsiders being preferred (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall satisfied with working for this organization

Former Employee - Financial Analyst
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst

I worked at Advocate Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Advocate provides for furthering education on all levels

Cons

It depends on your department.In some department there is hierarchy based on seniority not knowledge

Good Samaritan Hospital

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Advocate Health Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to make your own schedule, easy to trade shifts, great teamwork within the unit, friendly nursing staff.

Cons

No incentive to further your education-get rid of ACE program for tuition reimbursement, little advancement opportunities, stressful work environment-high acuity and patient workload, very small annual raises, manager liked to micromanage.

Encourage staff to become involved in committees or educational opportunities.

My Experience

Former Employee - Advocate Medical in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Advocate Medical in Rosemont, IL

I worked at Advocate Health Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The concept is nice, booking appointments for patients, messaging doctors, which lessens the load, because as a Patient Advocate YOURE the middle man.

Cons

The company's systems and policies are forever evolving, however the turnover rate is through the roof. Superiors should be seriously investigated. I found that there's a lot of bending rules, exceptions, favoritism, and bullying- which could be the fall of AMG. There Are multiple accounts of bullying claims, and scrutinizing new hires, and former employees, making the environment "unprofessional" and personal, instead of being based upon work ETHIC, ENTHUSIASM, and PASSION for PATIENT CARE.

If there are multiple claims about uncomfortable working environment, revise, analyze, and penalize. Management is the foundation of AMG, and Patient Advocates are the BEAMS.

Overall it was a good experience. .

I worked at Advocate Health Care

Pros

Benefits are pretty good p.t.o.builds up quickly

Cons

Comments aren't listened to by any supervisor

Listen better to employees they're not always wrong and they do have some good ideas

Document Specialist

I have been working at Advocate Health Care part-time

Pros

Patient interaction is wonderful. Can be stressful at times.

Cons

There is no room for advancement.

Care for staff more.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Advocate Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Executive leadership team is down to earth and as transparent as they can be. They appear to care about patient safety and that employees are happy. They have many employee functions and benefits that I love. We have picnics, employee celebrations, and vendors that come in like farmers market. I admire the positive presence Advocate has in Illinois and the industry. Our processes are widely known as being innovative and top notch. Our doctors are certainly a cut above the rest due to our strong criteria and expectations. I LOVE that we have a pension plan...as one of the last companies left to have one. I would be anywhere else.

Cons

I gave it 4 stars because unfortunately not ALL middle managers share the behaviors of excellence that we've grown to expect. If you do get one that is sub-par.. I encourage you to not leave Advocate...just leave the dept. It is truly a wonderful place to be and most of us really care about the work we do and keeping our patients safe and healthy.

Weed out the bad apples that drive the company down and it's employees out the door. Take a look at some of the dept that have an extremely high turn over and you'll most likely find it's someONE driving employees out.
    The turn around time to replace or fill an exiting employees position is way too long and cumbersome. HR in healthcare has a bad reputation for being too slow and disorganized. While healthcare organizations spend a lot of time concentrating on healthcare (which is good) the HR process and structure is sorely lacking and in desperate need of a revamp. When applying for positions, I usually never get informed of the outcome...I can only assume after time goes by that I did not get an opportunity to interview. When I talk to HR recruiting they tell me that Advocate employees do NOT have an advantage over outside candidates, which I believe is clearly wrong. If you don't find the talent you need inside, THEN you look externally. According to HR recruiting, it's first come first serve.

Changing face of healthcare

Former Employee - Health Care Executive in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Health Care Executive in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Advocate Health Care full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong balance sheet. Good position to acquire other companies. Company has done good work in being forward thinking and bringing in the types of programs to keep its competitive advantage.

Cons

Under intense pressure to reduce cost, leading to reduction in force and doing more with less. Too much politics for a health care company focused on its clinical enterprise.

Don't forget V is for Values.

Absolutely love working here, the connection with the patients is great!

Former Employee - Medical Assistant
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant

I worked at Advocate Health Care as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They care about their patients such a great deal!! They are flexible with staff when problems arise!

Cons

I wasn't able to stay long

n/

Lasting impressions and fully committed to quality care.

Former Employee - Home Care Nurse/Case Manager in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - Home Care Nurse/Case Manager in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at Advocate Health Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Strong employee support, continuing education opportunity, positive work environment.

Cons

Change in focus with health care industry changes

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at Advocate Health Care full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary
    Great Benefits and programs
    Room for growth and promotion from within
    Associate focused
    Offers many programs for associates to better themselves like education assistance and Healthy You

Cons

Large Organization so there can be some communication lapses between departments

Advocate Health Care Photos

People are our inspiration. Changing lives is our passion

+ Add Photo