Aechelon Technology

Ignacio Sanz-Pastor

Mind-numbing work

Current Employee - 3D Production Assistant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - 3D Production Assistant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Sit-down office job, get to put on headphones
    Easy work

Cons

Really tedious. monotonous work everyday, plotting 3D trees/buildings for flight simulation
    They don't want people to talk to each other
    Can't laugh, tell jokes, or do anything
    No culture

Excellent company providing an important service.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Creative group of people, exceptionally intelligent executive staff, creating cutting edge products.

Cons

Parking in the city can be a chore, however public transit is locally available and shuttle service is provided.

Production work mostly for simulation and serious games.

Former Employee - Geotypical Artist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Geotypical Artist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

No weekends and no long hours for non sallied employees. Co-workers were nice to work

with convenient location. Breaks were given. CEO were open minded and

friendly.

Cons

Low pay, directors not willing to take on new projects and technologies.Felt like my skills were

not utilized.Middle management was hard to work with and stressed out.

Be more careful how you talk to your employees you come across as biased sometimes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You are a replaceable cog in a machine, stay silent and work

Pros

The employees are creative, fun people. I don't think management is intentionally evil I just think they're socially inept and not able to realize their decisions create a toxic workplace that their employees dread coming to.

Cons

Where do I start? The 5 star reviews have to be from management, the entire 1.5 years I worked here all and I mean all of the employees would talk about how much they hated it and all were actively looking for a way out.

You are strongly discouraged from talking, so even though you're surrounded by amazing people you only get to talk at lunch. If I'm going to spend more time with my co-workers than I do with my own family I'd like to be able to interact with them without my manager sending out a passive aggressive email "I guess you didn't understand me when I said to limit in office talking".

The pay is horrible and to get a raise you have to wait around for 2-3 years.

There is this antisocial atmosphere that permeates the building (created by management), a feeling that you are replaceable and can be fired at any time, for any reason. They use negative reinforcement and scare tactics to get work done.

You are not allowed to bring a +1 to company parties. So no one gets to know anyone in your life.

Treat your employees like humans and respect them, they are making the products that keep your company alive. You are the problem, if you were comfortable leading and not so awkward the office environment would be far less toxic.

I would never suggest anyone to work here.

Former Employee - 3D Production Artist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - 3D Production Artist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I met incredibly gifted people here whose talents weren't put to use and the health benefits were excellent.

Cons

Too many downsides to list, but this isn't the place to grow, be creative or have an opinion.

To list a few: change the company culture, make employees feel like their ideas matter, and increase the pay.

Please treat people like people, not cattle

Former Employee - Geo Typical Artist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Geo Typical Artist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Extremely nice hours. Loved the 8 hour workday. The work itself was interesting enough. The people who worked there were completely amazing and super fun. They offer very decent health benefits.

Cons

There's very little creative leeway that employees are allowed to make. Aechelon is sitting on a team of extremely creative, passionate, and dedicated artists who are not asked for their input. It seemed that there was very little room for growth as a career path within the company.

In addition, working at $17/hr while paying off expensive school loans and living in San Francisco is unsustainable. From what I understood, the salary stays at $17/hr until the employee is brought on as a salaried employee, which usually takes over a year and a half. In my opinion, this is extremely unethical to keep their employee base at the poverty level.

The way that Aechelon terminates employees keeps their current workers living in fear. I personally was given about 15 minutes of notice before I had to pack my things and leave. This same thing happened to other employees and seems to be the way that Aechelon consistently conducts itself. We may be temporary employees, but giving people notice to be able to position themselves to recover from financial ruin is an ethical and noble thing to do.

Aechelon neglects to give out unemployment forms, thus making an already difficult day more difficult. I've been told that unemployment is available, but it appears that enabling it is not possible to do online, since that process requires the form that Aechelon could have easily provided.

When you invest in your employees and treat them like they're people, your company will usually do extremely well. Please pay your employees a decent, livable wage, don't keep them living in fear of being terminated at any time, and allow them to contribute creatively to your pipeline. Keeping the leash too tight around the necks of your talent doesn't benefit you, especially not in the long run.

I wish you all the best, and hope that things improve for the sake of the employees who continue to thrive in spite of your revolving doors.

Very Relaxed Place, Good Work Pace

Former Employee - Artist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Artist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Low to No Drama, and very professional. You can stay very focused. Lots of young, witty, smart people- constant stream of work.

Cons

Was just part-time, wish they had full-time positions.

Offer 1 or 2 full time positions in the 2D artist department with decent salaries, and maybe there will be less of a turn-around.

Depends on your personality type

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and profit sharing
    Reasonably flexible work hours
    Company's mission and goals are for a good cause, feels meaningful

Cons

Founding management does not trust employees to do a good job, constant supervision and lots of second-guessing. Self-starters outside of founders are discouraged.
    Very steep and long (multi-year) learning curve. Odd engineering practices very out of sync with rest of industry and painful.
    Work is tedious due to poor tools and outdated approach, only the founders are able to get work done quickly.
    Very, very slow pace due to above. Frustrating for someone used to being productive and self-driven. Could be a positive for someone just looking for a steady job.
    General agreement that tools and practices in use are unproductive, but only lip-service given to fixing the problem. Trying to work around or fix the broken workflow is strongly discouraged.

Trust employees to be autonomous. Update to modern engineering tools. Encourage motivated employees rather than place arbitrary roadblocks. In general, empower your engineers to do their best - they're capable of a lot more.

Very heavy workload for low pay.

Current Employee - Contract Artist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Contract Artist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Thorough training program
    - Free shuttle service for employees in that area
    - Good for students who need to come and go easily
    - Some friendly co-workers

Cons

- Below average pay
    - Tiny bonus
    - Large and tedious workload
    - Currently no room for advancement
    - Strict company policies
    - Chatting with your peers is discouraged
    - Dull and windowless office
    - Little respect for contractors. Treated like children, Herded like cattle
    - Low morale amongst team members
    - Zero benefits

An offer for fulltime employment or salary adjustment should be presented after six months of service. Should promote from within instead of hiring from the outside.

Laborious and extremely repetitive.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Flexible work schedules for students, and easy access to public transportation. Non consumer oriented work environment. Comfortable work chairs and desks.

Cons

Lower than average pay. Higher than average work loads. Little or no room for growth. Poor integration into the work force for new hires.

Adjust employee pay based on performance. Improve communication between all employees and management. Empower your employees to make informed decisions on their own. Remove "Yes Men" from supervisory positions.

Worked for Aechelon Technology? Contribute to the Community!